Author Topic: Mariners 9/5  (Read 2633 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Mariners 9/5
« on: September 06, 2019, 06:36:02 am »
Good grief, what a game! I was so amped up when it ended sleep fought me for quite a while. Improbable wins like last night help to heal wounds caused by reliable relievers giving up late inning hits to lose games we thought were certain wins.

Tucker gave the Astros needed heroics with Springer hurt. Ditto Josh James giving multiple innings with several of the veteran pen guys out. Kudos to Osuna for bailing Smith out by striking out Seager with a runner at third and two out. Cannot forget Sneed and Urquidy who ate up seven innings while the Astros pecked away. Myles Straw(!)-watch the replay. Tucker’s clutch hit was straight to the RF on one chest high bounce, and Straw,helped by being free to run immediately with two outs, beat the throw easily. Making out a postseason roster will be difficult IF the Astros get there. Finally, Uncle Mike!

This team never quits. As Brantley said, the Astros are a “special team.”
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Mariners 9/5
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 07:22:39 am »
I couldn't get to sleep right away either.  Biggest comeback for the Astros in 25 years (11-0 vs Cardinals in 1994).

Here's a view of the game winner from near the visitors on deck circle.

Note the first baseman's reaction.

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1169848713138733056?s=19

And a gorgeous backfoot slider from James:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1169931425275162624?s=19

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 09:34:53 am »
Couldn't stay up for extra innings due to a ridiculous flight this morning but checking the GZ was the very first thing I did after waking up. Looked like a fun few innings.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 09:48:48 am »
this game was very pivotal  .
forever is composed entirely of nows

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 10:28:09 am »
Couldn't stay up for extra innings due to a ridiculous flight this morning but checking the GZ was the very first thing I did after waking up. Looked like a fun few innings.

Which innings?  From the end of 8th inning until pretty much the end of the 12th inning, it was like the Astros fell asleep.  We caught up, now we don't have to do any more.  9 out of the 10 players struck out.  It was brutal to watch.  Then Guriel got a very generous walk (I guess Country Joe was making up for the other terrible calls) and Tucker got a big hit.  So the end of the 12th and the 13th innings were fun.  But unfortunately, there was the hour before that. 
Boom!

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 10:33:04 am »
The Astros really need Good Framber to show up tonight.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 10:56:02 am »
Which innings?  From the end of 8th inning until pretty much the end of the 12th inning, it was like the Astros fell asleep.  We caught up, now we don't have to do any more.  9 out of the 10 players struck out.  It was brutal to watch.  Then Guriel got a very generous walk (I guess Country Joe was making up for the other terrible calls) and Tucker got a big hit.  So the end of the 12th and the 13th innings were fun.  But unfortunately, there was the hour before that. 

Which ones do you think?
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 11:04:13 am »

I thought the pitch to Yuli was a ball, but it was a gutsy take because West called a worse pitch to Altuve a strike. Joe West had no clue on the corners or at the bottom of the zone. He makes a strong case for mandatory retirement.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:29:15 am by JimR »

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 11:07:41 am »
The Astros really need Good Framber to show up tonight.

This.  Though thank God for the expanded rosters.  By my count, Cionel, Harris and Devo weren't used last night, and if there's still room on the expanded roster, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone like Armenteros called up (depending on whether he's needed for RR's playoff roster).
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 11:22:03 am »
it wouldn't surprise me to see someone like Armenteros called up (depending on whether he's needed for RR's playoff roster).

It's like Spock said:  The needs of the big club outweigh the needs of the minors.  Pitch long and prosper.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 11:40:59 am »
This.  Though thank God for the expanded rosters.  By my count, Cionel, Harris and Devo weren't used last night, and if there's still room on the expanded roster, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone like Armenteros called up (depending on whether he's needed for RR's playoff roster).

You know, Wade Miley didn't pitch all that much last night....
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

-Father Cavanaugh, "Rudy"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 11:44:57 am »

RR's playoff roster is irrelevant. If the Astros need a player, get the playe. RR exists to support the Astros.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 12:09:54 pm »

Right now he's scheduled to be their starter tonight.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 12:13:15 pm »
Right now he's scheduled to be their starter tonight.

Javier tomorrow?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 01:19:36 pm »
Goin' for a bus ride.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 04:06:44 pm »
Bregman and Altuve both had big rbi hits in the comeback.

Bregman has continued hitting line drives with the occasional popup or flyball mixed in,  as opposed to the homer/popup fest that plagued him thru July.

Altuve's triple was a RCF power alley thing off beauty.

His last AB ended in a K just before the Brantley blast.   But Altuve's approach was rock solid.   They left a gap in right again and he tried to go that way again with a high slider but just got under it and fouled it. The punchout pitch was an excellent slider lower in the zone. 

So many contributions up and down the lineup.   And from the manager. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 05:17:23 pm »
Bregman and Altuve both had big rbi hits in the comeback.

Bregman has continued hitting line drives with the occasional popup or flyball mixed in,  as opposed to the homer/popup fest that plagued him thru July.

Altuve's triple was a RCF power alley thing off beauty.

His last AB ended in a K just before the Brantley blast.   But Altuve's approach was rock solid.   They left a gap in right again and he tried to go that way again with a high slider but just got under it and fouled it. The punchout pitch was an excellent slider lower in the zone. 

So many contributions up and down the lineup.   And from the manager.

Straw can fly.