Author Topic: Andrew Luck Retires  (Read 3151 times)

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
Andrew Luck Retires
« on: August 25, 2019, 07:21:32 am »
Only 29. He is tired of battling injuries. I thought he was gonna be a great professional quarterback when he came out of college. I think he only had one injury free year.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Luck Retires
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 07:46:13 am »
Only 29. He is tired of battling injuries. I thought he was gonna be a great professional quarterback when he came out of college. I think he only had one injury free year.

I applaud his honesty. He's set for life financially. Injuries kill your will to compete.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 01:17:55 pm »
It absolutely astounds me that people are mocking him, fans booing him, etc. It is absolutely insane to me that everyone isn't celebrating this.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 01:32:26 pm »
It absolutely astounds me that people are mocking him, fans booing him, etc. It is absolutely insane to me that everyone isn't celebrating this.

No shit. If a 20-something started a company, grew it to a desirable size, sold it off to somebody else and pocketed, say, $50 million (just guessing at what Luck has earned so far) and then decided to do something else, we'd all be applauding and saying "America, what a country!"
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 03:17:08 pm »
No shit. If a 20-something started a company, grew it to a desirable size, sold it off to somebody else and pocketed, say, $50 million (just guessing at what Luck has earned so far) and then decided to do something else, we'd all be applauding and saying "America, what a country!"

He's earned $100MM in his career. And that's just his on-field salary. He's made much more considering endorsements and such. Colts owner says he's leaving at least $500MM on the table.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 03:25:45 pm »
I could probably get by on a hundred million if I had to. And I'd probably enjoy it more if I could walk and think straight.
Y todo lo que sube baja

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 03:32:24 pm »
I could probably get by on a hundred million if I had to. And I'd probably enjoy it more if I could walk and think straight.

You could even buy a real kayak with that kind of scratch.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 03:45:27 pm »
Listen, tough guy, it's not like my kayak is made out of the same plastic that they use for little kids' floats. It is partially synthetic and partially something like reinforced canvas. You would have to be very determined to puncture it with a hunting knife much less a fish hook.

I mean, I wouldn't deliberately go paddle over sharp rocks, but neither would I freak out if currents took me over some.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 05:12:50 pm »

Agree 100%.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 05:13:04 pm »
Apparently the Colts gave him a 25MM golden parachute in not asking for bonus and guaranteed money back. I'm not sure of the wisdom of that but it seems a pretty nice gesture on their part.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 05:23:08 pm »
Apparently the Colts gave him a 25MM golden parachute in not asking for bonus and guaranteed money back. I'm not sure of the wisdom of that but it seems a pretty nice gesture on their part.

I don't know for sure how his retirement affects salary cap issues, but I'm assuming the Colts are free to go spend that same money again?

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 09:48:15 am »
Reason 1,912 that I don’t follow pro football.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:20:59 am by geezerdonk »
E come vivo? Vivo.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Andrew Luck Retires
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 11:22:34 am »
Luck looks a little bit like Maynard G. Krebs.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 11:45:42 am »
Just saw this.  Wow.  I would think NFL fans should start getting used to it.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"