Author Topic: Verlander addresses refusal to take ??? from Det reporter Anthony French  (Read 6617 times)

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
Interesting headline from last night's post game interview.

What's up with that?  It appears to have made the reporter the "victim".

Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Interesting headline from last night's post game interview.

What's up with that?  It appears to have made the reporter the "victim".

In terms of what happened last night, the reporter WAS the victim.  The question is whether the snub was justified.  I'm guessing it was.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
The question is whether the snub was justified.  I'm guessing it was.

Right, Verlander probably has a very good reason for not wanting to be around the guy. But that doesn't mean the Astros can violate the contract between MLB and the BBWAA to exclude a credentialed reporter from the clubhouse.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
In terms of what happened last night, the reporter WAS the victim.  The question is whether the snub was justified.  I'm guessing it was.

It by rule cannot be.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
It by rule cannot be.

Yep.  The CBA specifically says that credentialed media members and members of the BBWAA cannot be denied access to the clubhouse.  The Astros will get disciplined for this.  Perhaps it's worth it to them though.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile

Yep.  The CBA specifically says that credentialed media members and members of the BBWAA cannot be denied access to the clubhouse.  The Astros will get disciplined for this.  Perhaps it's worth it to them though.

They had to know, before they did this that they would face a fine or something and did it anyway

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile

They had to know, before they did this that they would face a fine or something and did it anyway

Yep.  Better to keep JV gruntled and deal with some fallout.

Hopefully this goes away quickly.   Dog day slideshows aren't needed.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
I love that it appears that the team took one for their player. Also, completely bush league for the paper to not return the repeated calls by the Astros front office leading up.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Verlander addresses refusal to take ??? from Det reporter Anthony French
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 06:07:48 pm »
Bush league is as bush league does. Great to see the front office backing Verlander.
E come vivo? Vivo.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Bush league is as bush league does. Great to see the front office backing Verlander.

Exactly. Fuck ‘em.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
Re: Verlander addresses refusal to take ??? from Det reporter Anthony French
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 06:36:22 pm »
The Detroit reporter is obviously a cocksucker.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 06:38:53 pm »
The Detroit reporter is obviously a cocksucker.

Speaking of cork soakers, you caught any more fish?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 06:42:00 pm »

Good one!

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 07:12:47 pm »
I had a maiden voyage of surf fishing at the new crib the other day and it was a resounding failure. Perfect time, perfect tide, nothing.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 07:14:01 pm »
I had a maiden voyage of surf fishing at the new crib the other day and it was a resounding failure. Perfect time, perfect tide, nothing.

Did you hire Neil as your guide?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 07:15:24 pm »
Did you hire Neil as your guide?

Good idea, I should invite him, he'd be right at home.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 07:28:40 pm »
Because the Astros lost yesterday, I did not fish today.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 07:37:25 pm »
Do people catch fish there or nearby ordinarily? I've never had any luck surf fishing. Well, except once when I was about 14 and surfing near the old Flagship Hotel with my brother and a couple of my cousins and I saw a hunk of Styrofoam floating attached to a stringer of 5 or 6 speckled trout that I was able to snag.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 07:41:11 pm »
Do people catch fish there or nearby ordinarily? I've never had any luck surf fishing. Well, except once when I was about 14 and surfing near the old Flagship Hotel with my brother and a couple of my cousins and I saw a hunk of Styrofoam floating attached to a stringer of 5 or 6 speckled trout that I was able to snag.

I grew up surf fishing all the time.  Some days you got skunked, but generally had good luck. 

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 07:45:18 pm »

The best surf (not bay) wade fishing is during the June/July/etc doldrums when the surf waves suck ass and you get some green water.  The converse is true as well.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 08:17:58 pm »

That's all very well, but someone needs to tell the fish that the time and tides are perfect...
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 08:44:56 pm »
I have no idea if people catch fish in the surf here. I rarely see people fishing in the surf. A few people have told me that they do and have success, but I've never seen it.

I have had very minor success on other beaches around here, but I've never really paid any attention to the time and tides. The place where we are is directly in front of a large rock formation that you can walk on during low tide and gets covered up more or less at high tide. The beach to the left has fewer waves, smaller, less frequent waves, and I decided to fish there. There's quite a current sweeping from the rocks to the left, I could feel it in the rods, and I have noticed it swimming out there, and it could be that there just simply aren't any bait fish in that current so close to the rocks.

I'll try the other side of the rock formation later. I'll also walk farther down the beach; there's a small river that empties into the ocean maybe a third of a mile down the beach, and I imagine the fishing is better down there. I'll also experiment with different rigs.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 06:07:42 am »

We used to catch specks and the occasional red from the beach out on the west end, around 13-mile road. Was a day-long kind of thing and typically mid-summer like Lefty mentioned.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 07:30:07 am »
I have no idea if people catch fish in the surf here. I rarely see people fishing in the surf. A few people have told me that they do and have success, but I've never seen it.

I have had very minor success on other beaches around here, but I've never really paid any attention to the time and tides. The place where we are is directly in front of a large rock formation that you can walk on during low tide and gets covered up more or less at high tide. The beach to the left has fewer waves, smaller, less frequent waves, and I decided to fish there. There's quite a current sweeping from the rocks to the left, I could feel it in the rods, and I have noticed it swimming out there, and it could be that there just simply aren't any bait fish in that current so close to the rocks.

I'll try the other side of the rock formation later. I'll also walk farther down the beach; there's a small river that empties into the ocean maybe a third of a mile down the beach, and I imagine the fishing is better down there. I'll also experiment with different rigs.

It isn’t a very good sign if there are few fishermen, you tend to see fishermen if there is any prospect of catching something.  In fact, you often see fishermen trying their luck when there are fuck all fish around.

A few years ago, I started using an app with forecasts for optimum bite times based on tides, solar and lunar data.  It isn’t perfect but it is a reasonable predictor when you factor in local conditions.  After using the app for a few months, I was so impressed I lashed out and spent 5 bucks on the ad free version.

Shore based fishing is generally less productive than boat fishing but at least you don’t have to worry about having too many beers and falling overboard.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 07:36:18 am »
...but at least you don’t have to worry about having too many beers and falling overboard.

See also: Fishing, Pier
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 09:30:48 am »
I've seen a lot of reporters sharing this story and their thoughts on it. Still waiting to see one dig to find out what the actual beef was.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 09:46:59 am »
I've seen a lot of reporters sharing this story and their thoughts on it. Still waiting to see one dig to find out what the actual beef was.

The AstrosCounty dude is wondering if Verlander just lost the CY the other night.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 09:49:46 am »
The AstrosCounty dude is wondering if Verlander just lost the CY the other night.

Possible.

The dinger issue,  splitting votes with Cole, now this.

But if his last 2 starts are any indication he's poised to make a strong case.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 09:56:41 am »

Shit, I bet that's right.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 12:52:34 pm »

Vague description from this Athletic story: "Verlander tweeted that his issue with Fenech stemmed from “his unethical behavior in the past,” which is believed to be an innocuous conversation the veteran righty was having that Fenech used as Twitter fodder. Verlander felt it was eavesdropping, not reporting. Fenech, who has been the Tigers beat writer since 2015, clearly felt otherwise. Several smaller incidents over the years kept the relationship strained, and it’s unclear if that incident — from several years ago — or something else was what ultimately set things off."

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 01:25:20 pm »
Fenech also reported that the Astros had offered Bregman for Michael Fulmer at the 2017 deadline, something that no one else seems to have known of or can make any sense of.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2019, 01:44:27 pm »
Between calling out MLB about baseball and now this.  Verlander has decided he isn't going to just go along with the norm and he is willing to pay the price.  I think he probably cost himself some Cy Young votes and maybe some 1st ballot HOF votes with this event but that just confirms the immaturity of the BBWA .  They want him to treat them well regardless of treatment but they won't return the favor. 
Always ready to go to a game.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2019, 01:53:23 pm »
Fenech also reported that the Astros had offered Bregman for Michael Fulmer at the 2017 deadline, something that no one else seems to have known of or can make any sense of.

Crazy.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2019, 01:54:57 pm »

I did a double take here because I thought he must have said 2016 deadline. Nope! Batshit.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 01:56:43 pm »
I didn't, and don't believe this for a second. Astros wouldn't trade Bregman for Sale, wouldn't trade Tucker for Verlander but offered Bregman for Fulmer? No chance.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 02:02:07 pm »
Vague description from this Athletic story: "Verlander tweeted that his issue with Fenech stemmed from “his unethical behavior in the past,” which is believed to be an innocuous conversation the veteran righty was having that Fenech used as Twitter fodder. Verlander felt it was eavesdropping, not reporting. Fenech, who has been the Tigers beat writer since 2015, clearly felt otherwise. Several smaller incidents over the years kept the relationship strained, and it’s unclear if that incident — from several years ago — or something else was what ultimately set things off."

That article is annoying.

She did a nice job of laying out the background,  then stated that none of that mattered because of the CBA. Ok, the CBA was violated.  Got it.  She then proceeds to include anonymous derogatory comments from players about Verlander.  What purpose did that serve?  Why do we get specific insults directed at JV when a bland reassurance that the conversation in question was innocuous is all we got to set the scene?

For the record I didn't like the way the Astros handled it.   I also don't buy the tired lines about writers not being able to do their jobs if they can't get quotes after a particular game. Nor do I buy her definition of an MLB team's PR staff.   That job description is set by, oh I don't know,  the MLB team in question.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2019, 08:22:22 pm »
Former Astros beatwriter Evan Drellich chimes in:

My takeaway: Astros needed to be told to stop & never were.

• Tried to get me fired
• Barred coaches from speaking w/o permission
• Banned a reporter from home clubhouse last year
• Kept Gurriel from interview
• Now, Fenech

The goal: control. There are no one-time events.

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1164909426903527424
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 08:25:49 pm »
Former Astros beatwriter Evan Drellich chimes in:

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1164909426903527424

Hey, Evan, it wasn't just the Astros trying to get you fired.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

geezerdonk

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2019, 08:29:35 pm »
Sportswriters; the cock roaches of sports.
E come vivo? Vivo.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2019, 10:55:51 am »
The Detroit Free Press (sort of) reported on the backstory between Verlander and the reporter:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/08/24/houston-astros-justin-verlander-anthony-fenech-detroit-free-press/2099291001/

geezerdonk

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2019, 12:57:55 pm »
Lo! now the direful Verlander, whose skin clings   
To his strong bones, strides o’er the umpire gnomes and cockroach sports writers
He withers all in silence, and in his hand   
Unclothes the earth, and freezes up frail life.

Apologies to Wm. Blake
E come vivo? Vivo.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
“William Blake? What do you mean, William Blake?”
“I mean, WILLIAM BLAKE!”
“Arguing with you is like an alien trying to talk to a fungo.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2019, 03:02:39 pm »
Between calling out MLB about baseball and now this.  Verlander has decided he isn't going to just go along with the norm and he is willing to pay the price.  I think he probably cost himself some Cy Young votes and maybe some 1st ballot HOF votes with this event but that just confirms the immaturity of the BBWA .  They want him to treat them well regardless of treatment but they won't return the favor.
I bet JV got a few of those bets back today. What a great fucking day for JV and the rest of the team. So happy for Toro too. A bit gobsmacked the Astros have two no hitters this season.
Where the fuck is Toro?