Author Topic: Reddick  (Read 3581 times)

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Reddick
« on: August 10, 2019, 08:58:01 am »
Discussion in GZ last night shifted to Reddick.

First,  my bias: I love Josh Reddick.   I wish every player could enjoy their time in MLB as much as Josh seems to have enjoyed his.  He has fun but he's not a flake.  He's intense but not a dick.  He's smart and plays a mean right field.

I also think he should be the right fielder for this team until the last out is recorded.

He's struggling at the plate:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=reddijo01&t=b&year=2019

.289 BA in the first half with 10 homers.  .200 in the second half with zero dingers.

Nagging injury?  Mechanical flaw?  Changing book?

Don't know,  I only want it better. Because there's no way I would trust that corner OF spot to anyone else in the organization *this* season.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Reddick
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 09:08:40 am »
Reddick had a game plan to go the other way at the start of the season, and did so with great success. That led to a change in how opposing teams shifted against him and the types of pitches he saw.

I don't see that same approach any longer- the last time I can remember it was May.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-Josh-Reddick-not-losing-playing-time-14294170.php
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 09:21:08 am »
Reddick had a game plan to go the other way at the start of the season, and did so with great success. That led to a change in how opposing teams shifted against him and the types of pitches he saw.

I don't see that same approach any longer- the last time I can remember it was May.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-Josh-Reddick-not-losing-playing-time-14294170.php

Thanks for that link.

“I always go to pitch selection or I’ll go to a little bit of how hard he swings and how hard he chases hits. He’s not using the opposite field as much,” Hinch said. “There’s little things that he could do that he hasn’t done for the last month or so.”

“He’s not in any danger of losing playing time. I’m comfortable with him as a real threat and I expect him to finish the season really well.”

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 09:30:54 am »
I am glad to see Hinch say that. I want him in RF the rest of the season no matter what he hits. The idea of turning it over to Tucker this year is ludicrous.

Reddick chased outside pitches last night, and no doubt he is pressing. He can break out at any time, and I hope he does.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Reddick
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 12:01:43 pm »
Reddick is a first class professional who excels in every aspect of the game. Even when he isn't hitting he is making a positive contribution. I am guessing that he is one of the most if not the most respected player on the team among the players. I don't see Hinch replacing him absent injury or a deep, prolonged slump. Maybe a few days off would bring his hitting around.
I'm all for having him back for the final year of his contract. If Tucker can beat him out, fine but I am not for trading him and handing the job to Tucker.
For what its worth, in every game he broadcasts, Berkman makes it a point to highlight Reddick's professionalism and importance to the team.   
E come vivo? Vivo.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 12:41:07 pm »
tucker still needs to prove he can do it in the show
forever is composed entirely of nows

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 01:21:13 pm »
tucker still needs to prove he can do it in the show

This isn't the time to find out if he's learned anything. Let him come up in September, if at all.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 01:29:36 pm »
I agree  totally.. just saying in reference to Reddick.  keep him
forever is composed entirely of nows

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 04:47:27 pm »
I cannot see Josh Reddick or hear his name without thinking about that ball field he built a couple of years back in his hometown of Savannah.
First class human. I would love to see him be the game-winning hero in a big game this year. I mean a game that really means something.

Hinch on the subject of Reddick: I always go to pitch selection or I'll go to a little bit of how hard he swings and how hard he chases hits. He's not using the opposite field as much. There's little things that he could do that he hasn't done for the last month or so. He's not in any danger of losing playing time. I'm comfortable with him as a real threat and I expect him to finish the season really well.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:04:35 pm by juliogotay »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 10:28:36 am »
I like Reddick too, and his defense is essential, but he has become a black hole at the plate. When we go past Yuli to Chirinos and Reddick, there has been almost no chance lately anything will happen.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 11:28:50 am »
I like Reddick too, and his defense is essential, but he has become a black hole at the plate. When we go past Yuli to Chirinos and Reddick, there has been almost no chance lately anything will happen.

They're pitching him away (mostly), but he doesn't really seem interested in going the opposite way. Same with Altuve. Quit trying to pull everything out of the park.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 11:59:27 am »
They're pitching him away (mostly), but he doesn't really seem interested in going the opposite way. Same with Altuve. Quit trying to pull everything out of the park.

He's trying to slug his way out of his slump. Pretty common, and it rarely works. He's swinging at everytbing, another losing proposition. He's late on good fastballs. That too is tough to overcome. He's just got a lot working against him right now. Glad Hinch offered some reassurance that he's still the man on RF. He'll come out of it. Hopefully soon.

Altuve's main problem is that he never met a pitch he didn't like. That's just who he is. He also tries to pull a lot, I think partially because he knows that anything on the ground to the left side he has a chance.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:01:14 pm by HudsonHawk »
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 12:18:14 pm »
He also tries to pull a lot, I think partially because he knows that anything on the ground to the left side he has a chance.

I agree completely, but right now it's leading to an obscene number of double-plays, and that is really hampering the offense.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 12:22:26 pm »
He's trying to slug his way out of his slump. Pretty common, and it rarely works. He's swinging at everytbing, another losing proposition. He's late on good fastballs. That too is tough to overcome. He's just got a lot working against him right now. Glad Hinch offered some reassurance that he's still the man on RF. He'll come out of it. Hopefully soon.

Altuve's main problem is that he never met a pitch he didn't like. That's just who he is. He also tries to pull a lot, I think partially because he knows that anything on the ground to the left side he has a chance.

Altuve is mystifying. I wonder if they try to talk to him. He does not appear to consider what the team needs from him during each AB; he only chases hits.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 12:31:19 pm »
Altuve is mystifying. I wonder if they try to talk to him. He does not appear to consider what the team needs from him during each AB; he only chases hits.

I couldn't believe he tried to drop a bunt with 2 outs and a runner on second.   

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 12:33:43 pm »

All I can figure is that he knew he's scuffling, he saw Chapman standing practically in LF, and he knew he had Mr. Consistency coming up behind him. At least that's my charitable take on the situation.

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Reddick
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 12:34:51 pm »
Reddick gets today off.
E come vivo? Vivo.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 12:47:58 pm »

I think there are times when Altuve tries to be a grinder and not chase hits, but they’re often the wrong times. He’s just situationally oblivious. I suspect they’ve talked to him about it, but it falls on deaf ears, and the club just accepts it, knowing he still gives them more than 90% of the guys out there would.  And as we’ve discussed many times, if just swung at pitches he could physically reach with the bat he’d hit .400.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 12:48:18 pm »
Reddick gets today off.

Who's out there: Yordan or Jake?

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Reddick
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 12:49:31 pm »
Marisnick CF
E come vivo? Vivo.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 12:52:16 pm »
All I can figure is that he knew he's scuffling, he saw Chapman standing practically in LF, and he knew he had Mr. Consistency coming up behind him. At least that's my charitable take on the situation.

Plausible...and charitable.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 12:53:08 pm »

This is a perfect example of his situational unawareness. Keep the line moving, don’t try to be the hero can be a good approach...but NOT NOW!  You need to try to drive that run in.  Exasperating.

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 02:41:51 pm »

That DID shock me, as well.  I'm a huge fan of his, but even I admit some of his decisions are weird.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 06:43:49 am »
Astros pulling out all the stops to get Josh on track:

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1163228173661663237?s=19

Ric Flair is throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at the Astros game on Wednesday against the Tigers at Minute Maid Park.