Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  (Read 336 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
« on: July 21, 2019, 07:53:10 pm »
I saw this when it first came out.  Not being a reader of graphic novels, I was viewing it as a stand-alone piece, and I remember being significantly underwhelmed.   Apparently I wasn’t alone because the movie bombed and lost a bunch.  Regardless, I watched it again this weekend.

HOW FUCKING GOOD IS THIS MOVIE!

The imagery, the music, the humor...it all adds up to a fantastic experience.  Edgar Wright used to direct music videos, so there’s no surprise that he could make the most of the music-related set pieces.  What I didn’t realize was the wealth of talent involved, from the soundtrack to the players.  Metric gave the movie “Black Sheep” and I’m now somewhat obsessed with Brie Larson’s version of it.

It’s has a completely unique style, the visual effects are stunning, the casting is inspired and the execution is near flawless.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Gizzmonic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:40:28 am »
And the video game is pretty good, too! A transparent rip-off homage of River City Ransom, a favorite game of my youth...
Grab another Coke and let's die

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 03:46:45 pm »
I saw this when it first came out.  Not being a reader of graphic novels, I was viewing it as a stand-alone piece, and I remember being significantly underwhelmed.   Apparently I wasn’t alone because the movie bombed and lost a bunch.  Regardless, I watched it again this weekend.

HOW FUCKING GOOD IS THIS MOVIE!

The imagery, the music, the humor...it all adds up to a fantastic experience.  Edgar Wright used to direct music videos, so there’s no surprise that he could make the most of the music-related set pieces.  What I didn’t realize was the wealth of talent involved, from the soundtrack to the players.  Metric gave the movie “Black Sheep” and I’m now somewhat obsessed with Brie Larson’s version of it.

It’s has a completely unique style, the visual effects are stunning, the casting is inspired and the execution is near flawless.

This was always one of those "always meant to watch it, but never got around to it" movies for me.  Might have to finally check it out.  Edgar Wright's name on it is usually a good sign.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 06:12:43 pm »
Milk and eggs, Bitch!

Break out the L word.
Lesbian?
No, the other L word.
Lesbians?

Really a funny movie!

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:40:17 pm »
Milk and eggs, Bitch!

Break out the L word.
Lesbian?
No, the other L word.
Lesbians?

Really a funny movie!

You were vegone, now you will BEgone!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:08:29 pm »
I tried to get into this movie a couple of times, but have failed to make it past the first 10 minutes.