Author Topic: Baseball  (Read 1876 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Baseball
« on: July 13, 2019, 10:42:06 am »
When each new season starts, I forget. I forget there will be nights like last night when formerly dependable players falter and fail. I forget my favorite team occasionally blows a game it should have won. I forget those games when inferior teams suddenly display skills I forgot they had and for a brief time cannot be stopped. I remember only the good times, come from behind triumphs, and my team’s celebrations on the field after a win. I forget the other team wants to win badly also. I go into each season wanting to win them all, and I forget there will be crushing defeats keeping me from sleep.

Despite all this inevitable gloom and doom, occasioned by nights like last night, the beauty and joy of baseball makes it all worthwhile, and I am once again reminded: there always is another game.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 11:04:15 am by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 11:12:24 am »
Well said. The lows are hard in the moment but are forgotten once the first pitch of the next game is thrown. A new day, a new game, and a chance for magic to happen. What makes baseball great is that the 2013 Astros can look like the '27 Yankees for a day, sometimes that goes against you, as it did last night. The highs wouldn't be so high without the lows, lets just enjoy the ride.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 11:33:59 am »
Counterpoint: They're a buncha bums.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 11:36:50 am »
Counterpoint: They're a buncha bums.

You know the truth of the game. You played.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 04:37:04 pm »
The events in Anaheim yesterday helped me get things back in perspective.

Tomorrow's score is always 0-0.

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 09:44:08 pm »
Good take, Jim. I feel the sting of disappointment after a game like that too but, it is tempered by the fact that we are watching a good team having a good year and, regardless of that particular outcome, I was able to virtually watch the game with a bunch of friends that I have now known for 20+ years that get my passion and make the up AND downs that much more enjoyable.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 06:18:40 am »
The events in Anaheim yesterday helped me get things back in perspective.

Tomorrow's score is always 0-0.

That!!!
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 10:09:34 pm »
When each new season starts, I forget. I forget there will be nights like last night when formerly dependable players falter and fail. I forget my favorite team occasionally blows a game it should have won. I forget those games when inferior teams suddenly display skills I forgot they had and for a brief time cannot be stopped. I remember only the good times, come from behind triumphs, and my team’s celebrations on the field after a win. I forget the other team wants to win badly also. I go into each season wanting to win them all, and I forget there will be crushing defeats keeping me from sleep.

Despite all this inevitable gloom and doom, occasioned by nights like last night, the beauty and joy of baseball makes it all worthwhile, and I am once again reminded: there always is another game.

Very well written and clearly and effectively displays both your passion for and knowledge of the game. Thank you for that. As for me, I was never able to remember game details because I tried mightily and, I guess, successfully, from an early age to remind myself that the past is over and there's always another game tomorrow.

I learned that lesson as a batboy for our then AA Texas League team. I wish that I had a dollar for every game detail about some game I pitched or attended that people have told me happened that I could only vaguely recall. And I say this as a guy who recalls with vivid detail some heartbreaking losses in basketball back from high school, but just not baseball.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius