Author Topic: This losing streak  (Read 8798 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
This losing streak
« on: June 23, 2019, 07:57:09 am »
Every team goes through something like this, even without the major injuries the Astros had. Trouble is, for me at least, I did not see this one coming. The kids from RR were not merely filling in; they were helping the Astros win games and should not be blamed for the disappearance of the offense. Bregman’s swing malaise has been going on all season, Yuli’s run production is way off, and Brantley and Reddick cannot carry the team. Who woulda thunk JV and Cole would not win their starts and Osuna and Pressly both would blow saves and lose games on this road trip.

Glad to see a Monday off day coming. My guess is the brain trust is deep into roster analysis and is working the phones. In Luhnow I trust, but dammit, win today.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: This losing streak
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 09:08:17 am »
Every team goes through something like this, even without the major injuries the Astros had. Trouble is, for me at least, I did not see this one coming. The kids from RR were not merely filling in; they were helping the Astros win games and should not be blamed for the disappearance of the offense. Bregman’s swing malaise has been going on all season, Yuli’s run production is way off, and Brantley and Reddick cannot carry the team. Who woulda thunk JV and Cole would not win their starts and Osuna and Pressly both would blow saves and lose games on this road trip.

Glad to see a Monday off day coming. My guess is the brain trust is deep into roster analysis and is working the phones. In Luhnow I trust, but dammit, win today.

A lockdown start from Verlander would be very helpful.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:11:56 am »
Maybe they need a good bench-clearing brawl. Or someone throwing a no-no against them like Maloney right before Wilson no-hit the Reds and put the team back on track.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 09:16:30 am »
I don't blame the kids from RR, they have played hard and contributed a lot.  And during this losing streak, the Astros have had games where they scored 5 and 6 runs, both enough to win.  Three things, to me, have  been the problem:

1.  The injuries are starting to catch up.  Too many holes in the lineup and it's hard to string hits together against good pitchers.
2.  The bullpen has been garbage. 
3.  Defensively, the injuries means guys are playing in different spots, and they're not always putting their best defense on the field.  Last night is a good example.  I'm completely convinced that if Bregman was at 3B last night, the Astros win that game.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 09:27:15 am »
Agree with HudsonHawk; the AAA experience has run its course and hurting the team

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 09:36:19 am »
I don't blame the kids from RR, they have played hard and contributed a lot.  And during this losing streak, the Astros have had games where they scored 5 and 6 runs, both enough to win.  Three things, to me, have  been the problem:

1.  The injuries are starting to catch up.  Too many holes in the lineup and it's hard to string hits together against good pitchers.
3.  Defensively, the injuries means guys are playing in different spots, and they're not always putting their best defense on the field.  Last night is a good example.  I'm completely convinced that if Bregman was at 3B last night, the Astros win that game.

Yuli has extensive international experience at third and has played it very well until last night. I think our best defensive lineup is Mayfield at SS, Bregman at third, and Yuli back to first.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 09:39:04 am »
Yuli has extensive international experience at third and has played it very well until last night. I think our best defensive lineup is Mayfield at SS, Bregman at third, and Yuli back to first.

I think it's time to admit defeat with White. Quit putting him in the lineup, move Yuli back to first, bring Mayfield back, and go with that lineup for a while.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 09:41:51 am »

I don't blame Yuli, and I know he's played there a lot over his career.  But I think Bregman is just a better defender, at least at this point in their careers.  I agree about the best defensive alignment sans Correa. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 09:45:45 am »
I think it's time to admit defeat with White. Quit putting him in the lineup, move Yuli back to first, bring Mayfield back, and go with that lineup for a while.

The problem is, for all the complaining about White's bat, Mayfield's is even worse.  By a lot.  Maybe with Altuve and Springer back, you can afford a guy in the lineup with .160 OBP, but you have to understand it's only slightly better than having the pitcher hit.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 09:48:54 am »
On a side note...

I mentioned it in the shortened GZ last night, but I love watching Stassi catch, and I'm glad he's back.  I've been critical of Stubbs' receiving, maybe overly so, but I saw a marked difference last night, and Stassi got pitches that Chirinos or Stubbs just would not. 

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 10:01:52 am »
The problem is, for all the complaining about White's bat, Mayfield's is even worse.  By a lot.  Maybe with Altuve and Springer back, you can afford a guy in the lineup with .160 OBP, but you have to understand it's only slightly better than having the pitcher hit.

Understood, but right now I think it's imperative that the defense be as good as it possibly can be.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 10:26:47 am »
 I   am glad this is  being addressed and the team management  the kfc   chicken someone  will find an answer. 
forever is composed entirely of nows

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 10:28:53 am »

He is a better hitter than he showed. He chased a lot. Pressing, no doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 11:42:39 am »

The Stanton ball is 2 outs not 2 runs.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
This losing streak
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 11:43:31 am »

Good analysis HH and I agree with all you listed. I would add that the lack of consistent offensive production from the first base position, be it Yuli or White, has been a huge problem. When totally healthy, this lineup can overcome that lack of production. But the injuries have only amplified the fact that this spot in the order is a problem, which is why the Astros were possibly in on Encarnacion. I still think our biggest need going forward is another front end starter and a quality lefty in the pen. But I would love to see an upgrade at first base.

As Jim said in his post, I’ll bet Luhnow and the brain trust are looking long and hard at this roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 11:45:46 am »
Good analysis HH and I agree with all you listed. I would add that the lack of consistent offensive production from the first base position, be it Yuli or White, has been a huge problem. When totally healthy, this lineup can overcome that lack of production. But the injuries have only amplified the fact that this spot in the order is a problem, which is why the Astros were possibly in on Encarnacion. I still think our biggest need going forward is another front end starter and a quality lefty in the pen. But I would love to see an upgrade at first base.

As Jim said in his post, I’ll bet Luhnow and the brain trust are looking long and hard at this roster.

Yuli is not going anywhere and should not. He needs to be at 1B.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 11:47:11 am »
I think 1B is fine when Yuli is there and hitting 6th or 7th. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 12:23:00 pm »
I think 1B is fine when Yuli is there and hitting 6th or 7th.

Yep.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 02:27:21 pm »
Yuli says “Fuck you, TZ.”

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 02:35:51 pm »
Yuli says “Fuck you, TZ.”

White agrees with that sentiment.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 02:48:18 pm »
White agrees with that sentiment.

White should STFU.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 04:21:01 pm »
the threat of kfc  was just tomcuh
forever is composed entirely of nows

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 04:45:13 pm »
White should STFU.

I think White should keep hitting like he's done the last couple of weeks, and then wave goodbye when everyone is healthy.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 05:14:51 pm »
I think White should keep hitting like he's done the last couple of weeks, and then wave goodbye when everyone is healthy.

All I hope is 4 doubles and a homer=trade value.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 05:43:48 am »
Always ready to go to a game.

Noe

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:21:14 am by Noe in Austin »

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 10:42:10 am »
What's his opinion?

It will all be better once the injured players return.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 11:11:33 am »

concur

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 11:12:29 am »

A good reason to read some of the comments b/f reading an article...  In this case spoilers are appreciated.
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 12:30:19 pm »

Duh. Such insight.

Noe

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 01:43:09 pm »
What's his opinion?

Several things:

1. Where will Altuve hit once Springer returns? He's saying don't be surprised Altuve is batting 4th in the lineup to break up Brantly and Alvarez.
2. Yuli and White are still non-productive as everyday starters but don't expect any changes to Yuli playing third and White playing first any time soon. One thing he mentioned was Altuve playing short, Yuli goes back to first, and Kemp playing second (to allow Bregman to move back to third). But that was a wild speculation on his part and nothing he said would happen soon.
3. Alvarez not being able to play first is a reason why Tucker hasn't been called up to be part of the outfield rotation (or give Kemp more time in the lineup). That definitely would have moved White out of the lineup for good. He opined that the Astros probably will go back to experiment with Alvarez at first in the offseason.
4. White will lose his spot once Diaz returns.
5. Yuli is no danger to lose his job any time soon, so moving him back to first this season is what will ultimately happen. He's owed 10 million this year and will get paid 8.5 million next season at age 36.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 01:48:13 pm »
Several things:

1. Where will Altuve hit once Springer returns? He's saying don't be surprised Altuve is batting 4th in the lineup to break up Brantly and Alvarez.
2. Yuli and White are still non-productive as everyday starters but don't expect any changes to Yuli playing third and White playing first any time soon. One thing he mentioned was Altuve playing short, Yuli goes back to first, and Kemp playing second (to allow Bregman to move back to third). But that was a wild speculation on his part and nothing he said would happen soon.
3. Alvarez not being able to play first is a reason why Tucker hasn't been called up to be part of the outfield rotation (or give Kemp more time in the lineup). That definitely would have moved White out of the lineup for good. He opined that the Astros probably will go back to experiment with Alvarez at first in the offseason.
4. White will lose his spot once Diaz returns.
5. Yuli is no danger to lose his job any time soon, so moving him back to first this season is what will ultimately happen. He's owed 10 million this year and will get paid 8.5 million next season at age 36.

I saw Alvarez play first in RR more than once. He is not that bad.

Noe

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 01:58:36 pm »
I saw Alvarez play first in RR more than once. He is not that bad.

This is what Kaplan said:

From the standpoint of roster and lineup construction, the Astros have been hamstrung by Alvarez’s inability to play first base. If Alvarez was good enough at the position to be an option there right now, the Astros would have the option of essentially replacing White’s bat in the lineup with Kemp or Kyle Tucker.

It is curious that the Astros didn’t make more of a concerted effort to turn Alvarez into a viable first baseman while he was coming through the minors. He played only seven games at first in Low A, 15 in High A, five in Double A and nine in Triple A. In his first major-league spring training this past February and March, Alvarez was exclusively an outfielder.

Next spring, the Astros should make it a priority to expose Alvarez to a lot more reps at first base.

I've never seen Alvarez play first, and I believe you have a better view of Alvarez's ability to play first more than anyone else here.

FYI - Kaplan also talks about Hector Rondon and whether the Astros should go get another bullpen arm (or not). Hinch's reaction to Rondon and how he is throwing so far is two-fold:

1. He isn't using a four-seam fastball up in the zone so his fastball has been primarily middle and low and that is where most hitters today look for a pitch to drive. Rondon has registered a lot of hard hit balls this season (I guess a stat the Astros track). Rondon's K numbers are low this year compared to his previous years and Hinch believes it is due to the lack of pitching up in the zone with his fastball.
2. Rondon's slider has been coming around lately but Hinch said Rondon's slider was a non-factor for most of the season so far and it is only until recently that it has become effective for him.

So with James and Rondon not being that effective lately, will the Astros target another reliever? Probably not because if they get another starter, that will allow the Astros to move Peacock or Valdez to the pen to take up some of the slack and not overwork Harris, Pressley and Osuna. Basically, once you get just one more steady hand in the pen, either from Rondon being more effective or James or you have Peacock move to the pen, days like what Harris, Pressley and Osuna have had lately will happen.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:01:35 pm by Noe in Austin »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 02:00:17 pm »
I subscribe to The Athletic so have read this.

Noe

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 02:01:53 pm »
I subscribe to The Athletic so have read this.

Okay, thanks.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2019, 02:03:25 pm »
Regarding Rondon and the need for a reliever.  They are hoping to get Smith back sometime in the near future.

Not exactly sure what Alvarez playing first buys you.  So, Yuli isn't a starter, but who is the DH?  Is the scenario Kaplan outlines basically trading Yuli's bat for Tucker's?  If so, it's not striking me as that big of a deal, at all.

Noe

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2019, 02:17:58 pm »
Regarding Rondon and the need for a reliever.  They are hoping to get Smith back sometime in the near future.

Probably well into August some time. I have not heard of any time table for him. The only one is Correa and Diaz back after the All-Star break. In terms of Smith, no word on his return. Did you hear he is coming back soon? But again, if you think you can get a good #3 or #4, you can move Peacock back to the pen and that makes for a solid pen that doesn't rely on the top three as much any more (Harris, Pressley and Osuna). You need production from Rondon and James and if you are worried about a lefty specialist, Harris can provide that with his cutter and curveball combination. But that means you definitely need better from Rondon and James and/or one more bullpen arm.

Not exactly sure what Alvarez playing first buys you.

Well, the quick answer is you replace White in the lineup. Same reason they were asking about Encarnacion.  With Alvarez, you also free up one spot in the outfield rotation to either use Kemp more or bring up Tucker. All of those dominoes were a possibility if you had a replacement for White at first base right away. Yuli needed to play third because Bregman was at short, so the only spot you could reasonably decide to improve was first base.

So, Yuli isn't a starter, but who is the DH?  Is the scenario Kaplan outlines basically trading Yuli's bat for Tucker's?  If so, it's not striking me as that big of a deal, at all.

Not sure what you mean, but right now Yuli is at third and will be well into after the All-Star break. It's either keep Jack Mayfield and play him a lot and get rid of White and move Yuli back to first or use Yuli at third, Bregman at short and keep White at first (which is what they decided). All this until Correa returns. I think you might be thinking in terms of the long term and Kaplan's article is more along the short terms fixes could have been Tucker and Alvarez being called up and with the rotation at DH that Hinch employs, you would have had more offensive prowess than you have right now. But that was only if Alvarez could play first. I originally thought why not move Brantley or Reddick to first, but it seems it is a similar proposition as using Straw at short and using Alvarez at first. Probably not your best first option. So hence, White stays at least until Correa and Diaz return. And of course, you'll have stints like the Astros just went through were there were woeful performance on offense, especially with RISP.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:22:10 pm by Noe in Austin »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2019, 02:18:12 pm »

Not exactly sure what Alvarez playing first buys you.  So, Yuli isn't a starter, but who is the DH?  Is the scenario Kaplan outlines basically trading Yuli's bat for Tucker's?  If so, it's not striking me as that big of a deal, at all.

Yuli is not going anywhere. If he bats 6th or 7th, he is a plus.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2019, 02:53:14 pm »
Probably well into August some time. I have not heard of any time table for him. The only one is Correa and Diaz back after the All-Star break. In terms of Smith, no word on his return. Did you hear he is coming back soon?

Not sure what you mean, but right now Yuli is at third and will be well into after the All-Star break. It's either keep Jack Mayfield and play him a lot and get rid of White and move Yuli back to first or use Yuli at third, Bregman at short and keep White at first (which is what they decided). All this until Correa returns. I think you might be thinking in terms of the long term and Kaplan's article is more along the short terms fixes could have been Tucker and Alvarez being called up and with the rotation at DH that Hinch employs, you would have had more offensive prowess than you have right now. But that was only if Alvarez could play first. I originally thought why not move Brantley or Reddick to first, but it seems it is a similar proposition as using Straw at short and using Alvarez at first. Probably not your best first option. So hence, White stays at least until Correa and Diaz return. And of course, you'll have stints like the Astros just went through were there were woeful performance on offense, especially with RISP.

Smith is already throwing at CC, I think.

You are correct: my thoughts were for the team at full strength, where it will be Yuli at first, Alvarez at DH, Tucker at RR and White somewhere else. 

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2019, 02:54:53 pm »
Probably well into August some time. I have not heard of any time table for him. The only one is Correa and Diaz back after the All-Star break. In terms of Smith, no word on his return. Did you hear he is coming back soon? But again, if you think you can get a good #3 or #4, you can move Peacock back to the pen and that makes for a solid pen that doesn't rely on the top three as much any more (Harris, Pressley and Osuna). You need production from Rondon and James and if you are worried about a lefty specialist, Harris can provide that with his cutter and curveball combination. But that means you definitely need better from Rondon and James and/or one more bullpen arm.

Well, the quick answer is you replace White in the lineup. Same reason they were asking about Encarnacion.  With Alvarez, you also free up one spot in the outfield rotation to either use Kemp more or bring up Tucker. All of those dominoes were a possibility if you had a replacement for White at first base right away. Yuli needed to play third because Bregman was at short, so the only spot you could reasonably decide to improve was first base.

Well Smith is already pitching in rehab games and I'm not 100% but I think he can only be on rehab assignment for a few weks or a month so mid to late July would be the timeline unless he has a setback

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2019, 03:01:38 pm »
From Saturday's chron:

Smith, meanwhile, will require many more appearances. Because he ruptured his Achilles in December and did not appear in a live game until Saturday, Smith's minor league rehab assignment will mirror a spring training buildup. He is next scheduled to pitch on either Monday or Tuesday.

Manager A.J. Hinch revealed Saturday that Smith, the veteran righthanded specialist, will not factor into the major league bullpen until after the All-Star break, joining Carlos Correa and Aledmys Díaz among the Astros sidelined until mid-July.

Noe

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2019, 03:16:07 pm »
From Saturday's chron:

Smith, meanwhile, will require many more appearances. Because he ruptured his Achilles in December and did not appear in a live game until Saturday, Smith's minor league rehab assignment will mirror a spring training buildup. He is next scheduled to pitch on either Monday or Tuesday.

Manager A.J. Hinch revealed Saturday that Smith, the veteran righthanded specialist, will not factor into the major league bullpen until after the All-Star break, joining Carlos Correa and Aledmys Díaz among the Astros sidelined until mid-July.

Thanks, I didn't think he was on the same rehab assignment like McHugh, but wasn't sure what his timetable was. With a ruptured Achilles and no spring training, any time in the minors (to me) meant he was going to be on a different rehab program than anybody else. Usually when I read about the returning players, Smith is usually not mentioned or if he is, he's an outlier and probably not as strong in their plans until they know more during his stint in the minors. It will definitely inform their decision.

Noe

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2019, 03:31:47 pm »
You are correct: my thoughts were for the team at full strength, where it will be Yuli at first, Alvarez at DH, Tucker at RR and White somewhere else.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear about what Kaplan was saying, it was more scatter-shot the way I presented it. Yup, Tucker is not a factor this season because, to put it bluntly, Alvarez passed him in terms of being called up... and even to a lesser extent, so did Fisher. Fisher doing well and having a good short stint in the majors bodes well to him being traded (for both him and the team). Tucker is not going to advance this year, but he'll be in the mix next year.

So to talk about the long term (re: rest of the season):

CF - Springer (1)
3rd - Bregman (2)
LF or 2nd - Either Brantley or Altuve (depending on Hinch) (3rd)
LF or 2nd- Either Brantley or Altuve (depending on Hinch) (4th)
DH - more than likely Alvarez's best lineup position (5th)
SS - Carlos Correa if he stays away from a masseuse, chiropractor, santeria witch doctor or a professional wrassler (6th)
1st - Yuli (7th)
C - Chirinos (8th)
RF - Reddick (9th)

Hinch other players to get spots starts in that lineup

Kemp gets some time in the outfield and DH and bats 9th. If Kemp DHs, then Alvarez goes to LF or Kemp goes to LF and Alvarez stays at DH and Brantley gets some time off or Reddick does.

White? He may be gone by then. Trade fodder or DFA'ed.

Marisnick - he has a ton of value to allow Springer, Brantley and Reddick time off to rest their legs. He'll bat in those spot starts somewhere in the bottom of the order with everyone moving up a notch. Basically, Marisnick with his slugging prowess is probably a #8 hitter when he plays.

Diaz - he is going to replace White in the roster and take up playing time at 2nd, SS, 3rd and 1st to spell all of those guys. Kemp will still get time at 2nd so Altuve can rest the legs more often by  taking a day off or hitting in Hinch's merry-go-round DH spot.

Straw? Probably going back to AAA because he has options and really with Kemp, Diaz and Marisnick (not to mention Stassi who is the second catcher), that is your bench for the rest of the season. If they decide to carry one less bullpen pitcher, then you can keep either White or Straw, but I don't see that happening.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:40:58 pm by Noe in Austin »

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
This losing streak
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2019, 03:50:23 pm »
Who, these days, fields first base better than Gurriel? He is beloved of his team mates and is way more than adequate hitting seventh. He is a real important part of the team.
E come vivo? Vivo.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2019, 04:08:44 pm »
Who, these days, fields first base better than Gurriel? He is beloved of his team mates and is way more than adequate hitting seventh. He is a real important part of the team.

Absolutely.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2019, 06:09:34 pm »

I've always liked his ability to hit balls out of the zone with authority without being a strikeout machine.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2019, 06:34:03 pm »
I've always liked his ability to hit balls out of the zone with authority without being a strikeout machine.

I have a hunch Yuli is going to be very big in the 2nd half.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2019, 07:13:41 pm »
I want to go on the record as a big Yuli fan. That's all.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 07:21:55 pm »
I want to go on the record as a big Yuli fan. That's all.

I am with you.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 12:16:02 pm »
Absolutely.

White has actually made some really nice plays at first.   
Boom!

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2019, 12:38:25 pm »
White has actually made some really nice plays at first.

To White's great credit, he has been a slightly above serviceable first baseman during this stretch, even when he wasn't hitting for shit.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2019, 02:04:43 pm »
I'd be more generous than that, actually. I think defensively he's been very good.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 02:22:23 pm »
He has caught everything he can reach. Yuli is quicker and has greater range.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2019, 02:58:33 pm »
I'd be more generous than that, actually. I think defensively he's been very good.

Considering he's shaped like a pumpkin, I'll allow it.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2019, 02:59:37 pm »
Considering he's shaped like a pumpkin, I'll allow it.

It’s the Not Very Good Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2019, 03:46:06 pm »
It’s the Beyond Adequate Defensively Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

FIFY

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 05:26:38 pm »
Curious, how bad is Alvarez defensibly at 1b?  An outfield logjam exists with all hands available, unless Luhnow  trades someone in a month

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2019, 06:08:50 pm »
Curious, how bad is Alvarez defensibly at 1b?  An outfield logjam exists with all hands available, unless Luhnow  trades someone in a month

The way Hinch rotates players between their positions and DH and the occasional day off if say there is no logjam.  And guys in the minors are depth not part of a logjam.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2019, 06:10:08 pm »

Not as bad as you read.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2019, 07:22:50 pm »

If he can play the outfield, he can play 1B

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2019, 10:48:42 pm »
Not as bad as you read.

Hinch's substitution choices say otherwise.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2019, 07:55:17 am »

I realize that is the organization’s narrative, but I have seen him play there a couple of times in RR. We read about his being a bad OFer too, but he has shown he can play there.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2019, 12:13:17 pm »
I realize that is the organization’s narrative, but I have seen him play there a couple of times in RR. We read about his being a bad OFer too, but he has shown he can play there.

I thought he was primarily a 1B and then this year they wanted him to try LF. Hinch seems to be playing him the opposite way around. I probably just had it wrong in my head.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2019, 12:22:41 pm »
I thought he was primarily a 1B and then this year they wanted him to try LF. Hinch seems to be playing him the opposite way around. I probably just had it wrong in my head.

I have no idea what he played as he advanced through the system. All I read this year is how bad he is defensively, and that is not the player I saw in RR.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2019, 12:30:53 pm »
When the trade was made Alvarez was described as a 1st base prospect. Here is an article to refresh memories.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2019, 12:33:56 pm »
When the trade was made Alvarez was described as a 1st base prospect. Here is an article to refresh memories.

Projections. He had not played yet.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2019, 12:38:30 pm »

He played 1B exclusively in Cuba, but his PT there has been pretty sporadic the last couple of years.

'17: 355-191, OF-1B innings in the minors
'18: 561-36
'19: 255-83

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2019, 12:58:13 pm »

Are they trying to maximize White's time there for potential trade partners to see?

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2019, 03:24:20 pm »
Are they trying to maximize White's time there for potential trade partners to see?

Additional playing time is going to convince a team that he’s a diamond in the rough? He’s playing out of necessity

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2019, 05:35:53 pm »
Maybe AJ just wants there to be no question that Yuli is the 1B once the roster is healthy.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."