Author Topic: NCAA Div. I Baseball Tournament  (Read 4596 times)

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Div. I Baseball Tournament
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2019, 09:28:18 am »
The Tech program is so far beyond the program I saw forty years ago that it's a completely different thing. The field then was about high school caliber and one just walked up to watch a game. The players practiced on hard pan dirt in 25 degree weather and 30 MPH wind in down jackets.

Rip Griffin donated a bunch of money and got the Red Raiders a real stadium and some other facilities, like indoor practice capability for harsh Lubbock winters. Then Kirby Holcutt was hired as A.D. and he hired Tim Tadlock who turned the program from an also-ran into a power.

Tadlock is a master of player development, which is what's needed to pull a program up from the bottom. Now, with the Red Raider's success, Tech is starting to see better recruiting which will hopefully keep us in the mix for Omaha for some time to come.

With men's T&F natty, men's basketball national runner-up, baseball, and Tech's continuing national dominance of meat judging, it's a golden age of Texas Tech sports......well, except for football.

The Texas Tech story is very similar to the LSU story. Before Skip Bertman became the coach, LSU baseball was really nothing. They sold tickets to the games, but the only people in the stands were our friends, girl friends, relatives, etc. The year before Skip arrived, LSU sold three season tickets. Three. There weren't dressing facilities for visiting teams. The coach's office was in the basketball arena.The coach my freshman year doubled as a football equipment manager.
 Now they draw 10,000 or more for midweek games against primarily in-state schools.

If I hadn't been there from the beginning of the Skip Bertman era, andif you'd have told me back in 1982 (my senior year) that LSU would eventually have a major college baseball program that would win six CWS championships, I'd have laughed out loud and asked for some of what you were smoking. The bottom line is that great coaches like Skip and Coach Tadlock can buck the odds and build a perennial winner at any school. It takes vision and a whole lot of elbow grease.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2019, 08:34:01 pm »
Michigan continues to vex the seeds as they just hit a two run dinger and extend their lead to 6-3 over Vanderbilt with no outs in the top of the seventh.
He breezed him, one more time!

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2019, 08:42:05 pm »
If I hadn't been there from the beginning of the Skip Bertman era, andif you'd have told me back in 1982 (my senior year) that LSU would eventually have a major college baseball program that would win six CWS championships, I'd have laughed out loud and asked for some of what you were smoking. The bottom line is that great coaches like Skip and Coach Tadlock can buck the odds and build a perennial winner at any school. It takes vision and a whole lot of elbow grease.
After the second CWS appearance there was a lot of talk about Tadlock going to Austin. The gist of it being: "If U.T. wants him, they'll get him. He won't be able to turn them down." When asked about that by media he said words to the effect: "My family and I are Red Raiders and that's all I'll ever say about that." I don't think Tadlock ever buys a beer in Lubbock.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2019, 09:42:26 pm »
Michigan defeats Vanderbilt 7-4.
Cinderella hell, Cinderzilla!

Early this year Tech crushed Michigan in a three game sweep. I totally underestimated them and the Big 10. They were one of the last teams into the field of 64 and now they're one game away from sweeping the CWS.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:18:24 pm by Texifornia »

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2019, 10:35:35 pm »
They have to go through Rocker though. Looking forward to it.

It’s been an enjoyable tournament all around.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2019, 11:20:31 pm »
They have to go through Rocker though. Looking forward to it.

It’s been an enjoyable tournament all around.
I am too. Rocker is one hell of a pitcher.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2019, 12:08:02 am »
Brewer is a player.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2019, 07:51:58 pm »
This just in: Kumar Rocker is really good.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2019, 09:49:46 pm »
Vanderbilt slows Michigan's roll 4-1.

Tomorrow, one game, for the whole damn thing!

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2019, 09:18:44 pm »
Michigan's improbable run ends one game short.

Vanderbilt wins 8-2 and are the national champions.

Congratulations to the Vanderbilt Commodores: 2019 NCAA D1 Champions!

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2019, 05:48:02 am »
Michigan's improbable run ends one game short.

Vanderbilt wins 8-2 and are the national champions.

Congratulations to the Vanderbilt Commodores: 2019 NCAA D1 Champions!

Vandy was a juggernaut this season. Congrats to the Wolverines for an outstanding year.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2019, 08:37:49 am »
I had hoped for a more dramatic game, but oh well.  Two shitty games last night.

And Texifornia, thanks for the thread and your enthusiasm over this tourney.  It is an event I look forward to and the updates and info were much appreciated.  I just need Texas to make it again so I can motivate myself to get up there.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2019, 12:35:28 pm »
I had hoped for a more dramatic game, but oh well.  Two shitty games last night.

And Texifornia, thanks for the thread and your enthusiasm over this tourney.  It is an event I look forward to and the updates and info were much appreciated.  I just need Texas to make it again so I can motivate myself to get up there.
You are most welcome. I've really come to appreciate how the college game has developed over the last few decades. The D1 Tournament and CWS is great sports entertainment.

Nobody expects the Longhorns to spend another year in the cellar, the Big XII will be a dogfight. We may see as many as seven Big XII teams in the tournament next year.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2019, 11:35:20 pm »
Just a personal note. I grew up in Lubbock and both of my parents were Tech grads and heavy supporters, so I know all about Rip Griffin and that history. But to me, Tech baseball will always have a black mark as long as they play at Dan Law Field.

Dan Law was my first baseball coach when I was 7. He was such an asshole and slavedriver (to 7 year olds!) that he turned off both me and my parents to organized sports from that point forward. He'd yell and scream and berate little kids. He demanded that the team parents pay for and build new facilities at a church, then didn't like it and never used it. When the Lubbock TV stations did investigative series on overly competitive coaches and parents in kid sports, they used Dan Law as the model.

I realize he donated a lot of money and material to Tech. Big deal. He ruined organized baseball for me and a lot of other kids. In my mind, any place that carries his name has a black mark. Especially a baseball field.
Dan Law died today:
https://www.kcbd.com/2019/07/02/legendary-red-raider-dan-law-dead/?fbclid=IwAR2tZEy1RvF5FTveAUxeDpeDMxvty17tuWw7elXp2gN_w63cT4AQnM6QhYA
I don't know if he ever repented. I do know that Tim Tadlock runs a positive program.