Author Topic: NCAA Div. I Baseball Tournament  (Read 4595 times)

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
NCAA Div. I Baseball Tournament
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:22:58 pm »
The field of 64 is set. The Big XII is well represented with five of the league's nine teams making the field: Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, West Virginia are all regional hosts and Baylor and TCU are regional #2 and #3 seeds respectively.

UCLA is the overall #1 and will have Baylor along with LMU and Omaha in their regional with only Baylor likely to put up much fight. Texas Tech is the overall #8 with Army, Florida, and Dallas Baptist in their Regional to be played in Lubbock. Oklahoma State is the overall #9 and has Harvard, Nebraska, and U Conn. in their regional in Stillwater. Arkansas is an overall #5 seed and has Cal, Central Conn. State, and TCU in their regional in Fayetteville. Finally for the Big XII, West Virginia hosts a regional for the first time. The Mountaineers are a #15 overall seed and have Fordham, Duke, and Texas A&M in their regional in Morgantown.

There are 16 overall seeds each hosting a regional. The first eight overall seeds will host a super-regional if they win their regional.

There are too many SEC teams for my taste and I'm not happy about Texas Tech and Oklahoma State being paired in the same super-regional assuring only one can possibly get into the College World Series. Nevertheless, it is a great field and promises to be some of the most entertaining baseball to be seen all year.
He breezed him, one more time!

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Div. I Baseball Tournament
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:31:52 pm »

There are too many not enoughSEC teams for my taste and I'm not happy about Texas Tech and Oklahoma State being paired in the same super-regional assuring only one can possibly get into the College World Series. Nevertheless, it is a great field and promises to be some of the most entertaining baseball to be seen all year.

FIFY SEC! SEC! SEC!
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 05:13:22 pm »
Based on what I saw during the SEC tourney.  Someone is going to have to be really really good to beat Vandy. 
Always ready to go to a game.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 01:47:30 pm »
Based on what I saw during the SEC tourney.  Someone is going to have to be really really good to beat Vandy.

Having seen many of those games, including all of Vandy's wins, you're spot on. Their lineup is relentless.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 01:54:37 pm »
Conference fandom is one of the strangest things about college sports. You'll see plenty of trucks sporting around with an "SEC" sticker but I simply can't bring myself to root for the AL West on pure principle.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 02:59:25 pm »
Conference fandom is one of the strangest things about college sports. You'll see plenty of trucks sporting around with an "SEC" sticker but I simply can't bring myself to root for the AL West on pure principle.

Going simply with A&M or LSU hurts the resale value.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 03:43:29 pm »
TCU’s inclusion is a joke.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 07:26:31 pm »

In a conference setting, unlike pro baseball, every school doesn't play every other team in most sports. I bet that you pulled for the National League in the ASG and in the World Series when the Astros were in the NL.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 07:27:15 pm »
Going simply with A&M or LSU hurts the resale value.

Fuck off, douche bag.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 07:36:43 pm »
Fuck off, douche bag.

Now wait a damn minute. Where did I say I wore a fedora?
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 07:48:09 pm »
Not that I have skin in the game, but it would have been cool for SWT to get in
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 10:43:24 pm »
There's a lot of grousing over that. BYU has a legitimate gripe, but nobody really wants to deal with their inability to play on Sunday so they kind of got screwed and Texas State (I still think of them as SWTSU) doesn't have the recent history that TCU has. I'm also not sure why TCU is a #3 and not a #4 regional seed.

It looks like the Oklahoma State regional will be played in Oklahoma City rather than Stillwater due to flooding.

I like the Big XII for baseball and basketball because as a small league, everybody plays everybody. I'm pulling for my alma mater, Texas Tech, but West Virginia is my sleeper pick for the CWS. They have great starting pitching and defense and are currently playing their best baseball of the year.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:12:27 am »
Vandy's a great team and incredibly fun to watch, plus they're the one team in the conference that can spell SEC.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 09:18:43 am »
I bet that you pulled for the National League in the ASG and in the World Series when the Astros were in the NL.

Not really. In the all star games I'd root for the players I like to do well, and for the team with the Astro(s) on it to win. In the world series it's always team specific. I damn sure never cheered for the braves in the 90s.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 09:31:38 am »
, but West Virginia is my sleeper pick for the CWS. They have great starting pitching and defense and are currently playing their best baseball of the year.
I just saw them twice versus Texas, but they had some pop in that outfield also.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 09:33:34 am »
I hear Stoney Brook is back in Baton Rouge as a #4.  Nice.  I hope that game is televised nationally.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 12:25:45 pm »
I just saw them twice versus Texas, but they had some pop in that outfield also.
Their CF, Brandon White, is Marisnickian in the field.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 01:10:23 pm »
Their CF, Brandon White, is Marisnickian in the field.

Manoah is a freaking hoss.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 02:14:17 pm »
Having seen many of those games, including all of Vandy's wins, you're spot on. Their lineup is relentless.

I was listening to the Auburn Vandy game in the SEC tourney and the Auburn play by play guy (may he rest in peace) was already talking about who Auburn would face in the losers bracket in the 2nd inning!  Everyone knew who was going to win that game. 
Always ready to go to a game.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 12:09:30 am »
I was listening to the Auburn Vandy game in the SEC tourney and the Auburn play by play guy (may he rest in peace) was already talking about who Auburn would face in the losers bracket in the 2nd inning!  Everyone knew who was going to win that game.

I was so sorry to learn of his tragic death. The Auburn family will miss him.