Author Topic: Armenteros  (Read 2206 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Armenteros
« on: April 27, 2019, 07:46:26 am »
I worked with Capps last night, and Armenteros pitched, He was reasonably effective, and struck put 7 in 4.1 IP, but I was surprised (maybe I just do not know enough) by his lack of velocity. His FB sat at 90-91, and he threw a lot of 81-83 changeups and sliders.  The change up was his most effective pitch. Bus Riders, did he once throw harder than this?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Armenteros
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 08:21:03 am »
I worked with Capps last night, and Armenteros pitched, He was reasonably effective, and struck put 7 in 4.1 IP, but I was surprised (maybe I just do not know enough) by his lack of velocity. His FB sat at 90-91, and he threw a lot of 81-83 changeups and sliders.  The change up was his most effective pitch. Bus Riders, did he once throw harder than this?

That jibes with everything I've read about him.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 09:29:45 am »

That’s right on the money.  It also shows why he hasn’t been considered a good but not top prospect.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 11:07:11 am »
That’s right on the money.  It also shows why he hasn’t been considered a good but not top prospect.

Did he ever throw harder?

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 12:55:33 pm »
I think that is basically the book on him. I’m anxious for him to get his shot up here. He has had back to back great spring trainings and he had a great year last year in a hitters league. In my opinion, he has earned his shot up here and I hope he gets it soon. His stuff isn’t overpowering but it sure looks like the dude knows how to use what he has to pitch effectively. For all the talk about the big three (Whitley, Martin and JBB), Armenteros is overlooked and could surprise.

Jim, congrats on getting to be in the booth last night. I’ll bet you did a fantastic job. Wish I could have heard it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 01:00:34 pm »
Did he ever throw harder?

Not that I've heard.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 01:51:30 pm »
I think that is basically the book on him. I’m anxious for him to get his shot up here. He has had back to back great spring trainings and he had a great year last year in a hitters league. In my opinion, he has earned his shot up here and I hope he gets it soon. His stuff isn’t overpowering but it sure looks like the dude knows how to use what he has to pitch effectively. For all the talk about the big three (Whitley, Martin and JBB), Armenteros is overlooked and could surprise.

Jim, congrats on getting to be in the booth last night. I’ll bet you did a fantastic job. Wish I could have heard it.

Don’t get your hope up. He looks pretty ordinary to me, but what do I know?

Thanks re the booth. I was one of 3-4 regular color guys the Express’ first season, but then Reid Ryan decreed only former MLBers could work with Mike. Because I was only a lowly college player/HS coach, I was out. I filled in a few times in the intervening years, then last year Travis Driscoll, his regular color guy for years, moved away. Mike’s bosses told him to rotate several people in the booth with him, and he asked me if I wanted to be one. Well, duh, hell yes. I had two games in April, and Mike may use me couple of games each month.

I do not know how good I am, but I think I know baseball, and it is fun. Mike and I have been close friends for more than 25 years, and we have good rapport. Doing color on the radio is developing a rhythm  with the pbp guy’s style and cadence and learning when to talk and when to STFU. There cannot be long conversation like TK and Blum have on TV; my comments must be brief, direct, and to the point, then be quiet while Mike calls the next pitch or hitter. I think he and I work well together, but you’d have to ask him. Mike is very good.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 02:11:19 pm »
I tried to find the broadcast on the AM but couldn’t.  What’s the frequency?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 02:45:22 pm »
1300 AM

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 03:32:43 pm »
I tried to find the broadcast on the AM but couldn’t.  What’s the frequency?

You can listen free on milb.com and IHeartRadio also, that goes for all the affiliates.

Would love to know the next time you're doing a game, Jim.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 03:37:48 pm »
Goin' for a bus ride.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 04:13:54 pm »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 04:36:48 pm »
You can listen free on milb.com and IHeartRadio also, that goes for all the affiliates.

Would love to know the next time you're doing a game, Jim.

He has not told me yet. They are about to leave on a 12-day trip.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 07:54:23 pm »
He has not told me yet. They are about to leave on a 12-day trip.

Please give us a heads up before the next game so we can tune in. Sounds like a blast.

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 10:12:31 am »

FWIW, Jake Kaplan wrote this the other day in The Athletic:
Armenteros has also been pitching as a starter in Triple A, one of Round Rock’s three who aren’t part of a tandem. He has a 4.11 ERA with 17 strikeouts and seven walks in 15 1/3 innings. The diminished velocity he showed in spring training is still a problem, though. His fastball has hovered around only 88 mph, 2 or 3 mph slower than in past seasons.
https://theathletic.com/950716/2019/04/28/no-quick-fix-houston-astros-lacking-bullpen-depth/
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010