Author Topic: The invaluable contributions Josh "The Flame" James provides  (Read 1520 times)

Noe

For several weeks now I've been marveling at the production that the Astros are getting from one reliever. You might think it is Pressley or Harris or Rondon or even Osuna and you'd have a great argument for said thinking. But what I've marveled at is the work put in by Josh James. What I've seen is a guy take to a role in the pen that was once occupied by Mr. Peacock (and last year by Colin McHugh) and made it all his own.  As he's grown into this role, he's also re-established his stuff in the same journey. It's not only high octane but now he's developing that slider of his to really bite and provide a solid go-to pitch.  Remember, they reformated Pressley to trust his four-seamer more, refine his slider as an out pitch and throw his curveball more to show hitters he's not one dimensional as a reliever. Josh James has come into games that AJ Hinch has needed him to perform in that saved the pen and also the starter that night. Primarily Corbin Martin who seems to be a bit overwhelmed right now as the Astros #3 (that is a discussion for another day because it may still be too early to panic about that role). With James in the pen, Hinch can trust he has a Peacock-like solution out there. Will James eventually become a starter again? I don't know, but I do know that going four innings and then losing his stuff is not a good recipe to be a major league starter. But refining your stuff to go two or three crucial innings for your team and then on occasion be called upon to get maybe one or two guys out in critical situation (something I rarely see Hich do anyway), that is a good thing.

I know that Sensei Strom has said that James problem (as a starter) was not throwing enough strikes. Makes for shorter outings. As a reliever, he can refine his strike throwing prowess while continuing to develop the changeup that he shows on occasion. That pitch added to his slider (that is becoming more of a gotcha pitch) with the 97plus four-seamer that is hard to catchup to... well... he's going to excel as a starter. But last year in the playoffs the BoSox did the same thing the Astros did in the playoff. They used starter-like pitchers for critical long innings, such as Charlie Morton and McCullers in the 2017 and Price and Nathan Eovaldi in 2018. If you ask me, while Springer and Pearce both deserved the World Series MVP awards because they played every game, it was the work Morton did in 2017 and Eovaldi in 2018 that made it all work for those championship runs. Will James evolve into that sort of weapon for the Astros?

I don't know, and certainly this is not a post to jinx the young man. But right now, I like what I'm seeing him do as that unsung hero of the team that puts the icing on the cake of possibly another championship run. it's going to be necessary.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: The invaluable contributions Josh "The Flame" James provides
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 05:04:53 pm »
He needs to locate the slider better.   Starting/finishing too many over the plate.   It doesn't seem to have enough bite for to him do that and miss bats.

Definite uptick in velocity on his fastball past few weeks.

Noe

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:49:47 pm »
He needs to locate the slider better.   Starting/finishing too many over the plate.   It doesn't seem to have enough bite for to him do that and miss bats.

Definite uptick in velocity on his fastball past few weeks.

I saw a much better slider yesterday and he needs to continue to work on it and not fall in love with only his velocity. His pitches to Marcus Semien was how he'll be successful in the MLB. He threw him fastballs (four-seamers) that Semien tried to time. By the time he had an idea how to hit the location and speed James was throwing, he threw him the slider and while it did catch much of the plate, the swing was not capable of launching it out of the park. Instead, he was well in front of the pitch and it was not squared. When you load up for the heat, a slider doesn't necessarily need to be killer, it just needs to be the wrinkle you need to keep them off balance.  Sure, for most pitchers that throw 92-94, the slider needs to be well located. With James throwing in the upper 90s, the slider being a different speed is definitely going to work. He set up Semien really well with his velocity that time.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
He struck out one of the A’s on a nasty change (90 mph, no less) yesterday that started at the bottom of the zone and then sank below. If he can consistently get that action and location, watch out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noe

He struck out one of the A’s on a nasty change (90 mph, no less) yesterday that started at the bottom of the zone and then sank below. If he can consistently get that action and location, watch out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the changeup he's developing is the one that will put him over the top and make him the young pitcher to watch for many years to come. I saw him throw a changeup to a Cub hitter that absolutely made the guy shake his head (I think it was Bote). If he can throw that with a consistent in or near the strikezone fastball and a slider that bites late. Oh man oh man.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 06:49:14 pm »
IMO, it’s all about command (or repetition) with James. His improvement over this year is probably that he missed time in ST, and with work, he is about where he was last year.  If he makes any more improvement in repeating his delivery, seems that he would be considered for the rotation. It would also allow him to use his fastball inside at least. Don’t see many of those on the inner half with him.

Noe

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 06:52:53 pm »
IMO, it’s all about command (or repetition) with James. His improvement over this year is probably that he missed time in ST, and with work, he is about where he was last year.  If he makes any more improvement in repeating his delivery, seems that he would be considered for the rotation. It would also allow him to use his fastball inside at least. Don’t see many of those on the inner half with him.

One thing I see a little different is how he seems to be intentionally pitching higher in the zone. You can see his delivery being over the top but instead of only throwing in the lower half of the zone (which I saw a lot last year), he's now throwing up in the zone too.  The higher part of the zone means even if they catch up with the ball, it takes a lot to power the ball out of the park or even hit it in the gaps with power. You get more high pop-ups or flyballs that way. It also changes the eye level of a hitter and setups up the lower half of the plate for sliders that break sideways and down and a changeup that is going to drop in the zone.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 07:44:00 am »
It is definitely getting to be more fun to watch him pinch in crucial situations, as his command and confidence improves.
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.