Author Topic: VPNs  (Read 1404 times)

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
VPNs
« on: April 03, 2019, 07:24:18 pm »
Anybody got any advice concerning virtual private networks? Or know of other ways to bedevil MLBTV into not blacking out any teams?

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
Re: VPNs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 08:13:02 pm »
Anybody got any advice concerning virtual private networks? Or know of other ways to bedevil MLBTV into not blacking out any teams?
I used a service a few years ok called hidemyIP and just set it to use a Canada or mexico IP and you won't have any issues. It wasn't free though, it was like 40 or 50 bucks a year

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:33:35 pm »
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Was it?   Really?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:36:39 am »

I use Unlocator.  Their standard "trick" is to change your DNS servers to theirs, but they also offer a smart VPN service for mobile devices where changing DNS isn't possible/feasible.  Your Internet traffic doesn't actually go through the VPN, which is nice, as that would cause the video quality to suffer.

Unfortunately, using other services like Netflix while pointed to Unlocator can result in those services region-blocking you, so it's a difficult setup to implement for a smart TV.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:29:04 am »
What's the value proposition for having a VPN on your home internet?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 11:53:06 am »

I have NordVPN for exactly that purpose, since I pay for MLBTV because I can't get ATTSports where I'm at without paying for DirectTV.  It's pricey compared to others (eta: I just looked, and I got a 3-year deal for 36/year), but it is fast (I haven't noticed any problems with streaming MLBTV).  You might want to try it for a month and see if that's the case for you as well.

There's a bunch of recent reviews online since they just upgraded it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:00:37 pm by Lefty »
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 12:26:18 pm »
Thanks, all!