Author Topic: Round Rock 2019  (Read 12413 times)

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Round Rock 2019
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2019, 08:30:29 pm »
Was the delivery more repeatable at lower levels, or was he just able to get away with it because of the relative inexperience of those hitters?
I only saw him once at AA. He was sharp for about 75%, but would have stretches of about 5 pitches in a row where he’d lose it. About 3 or 4 times during the game, but infrequent enough that it didn’t affect his aggressiveness or his confidence.  Those 5 pitch stretches were all he had yesterday.

He may have been rushed, and who knows, a demotion or change of scenery might help him, but he’d have been crushed at AA last night also. Some of the same guys he dominated in SA AA where I saw him were the same guys he faced last night.  His pitches, when right, will play at any level, IMO.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2019, 02:31:57 pm »
McTaggart says Whitley is being placed on the IL with shoulder fatigue and is being sent to Florida for rehab.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2019, 02:47:00 pm »
I assume something was going to happen; it couldn't continue like this.  If all his troubles are injury related, hope it's minor and heals quickly.  Otherwise, I hope he regains form down there and comes back as the top prospect he was two months ago.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2019, 04:13:54 pm »
I talk to an informed opinion regularly. Injury aside, could be he simply was not yet ready for AAA. He has been moved along quickly and lost a lot of time to suspension and injuries.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2019, 05:01:21 pm »
I talk to an informed opinion regularly. Injury aside, could be he simply was not yet ready for AAA. He has been moved along quickly and lost a lot of time to suspension and injuries.

Sounds spot on. Luhnow just said after he’s done rehabbing he’ll get back out to “one of our affiliates.” He was asked specifically whether Whitley would go back to AAA and he wouldn’t commit to it. Merely said he’s talented enough to pitch in AAA but that they’d want to build him back up and build his confidence back up. Translation: they realized they rushed him to AAA.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2019, 05:26:12 pm »
Sounds spot on. Luhnow just said after he’s done rehabbing he’ll get back out to “one of our affiliates.” He was asked specifically whether Whitley would go back to AAA and he wouldn’t commit to it. Merely said he’s talented enough to pitch in AAA but that they’d want to build him back up and build his confidence back up. Translation: they realized they rushed him to AAA.
I'm not sure that "they realized they rushed him to AAA."  I can understand an argument that he could of, or should have spent more time in AA.  In some ways, it makes sense, especially with hindsight.  However, I also understand that in spring training, he was viewed as probably the top, can't miss pitcher in the minors, a probable #1 or #2.  He also had a possibility, although outside, to stick with the club.  It's hardly unusual to move guys like that up.

Anyways, there's always at least two sides to whether someone was rushed or not, and if he hadn't lost his mechanics, he probably would have been on the mound last night in MM.  I think the question is why he lost his mechanics, was it competition or something someone like him was always likely to do.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:28:00 pm by jbm »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2019, 05:59:15 pm »
I'm not sure that "they realized they rushed him to AAA."  I can understand an argument that he could of, or should have spent more time in AA.  In some ways, it makes sense, especially with hindsight.  However, I also understand that in spring training, he was viewed as probably the top, can't miss pitcher in the minors, a probable #1 or #2.  He also had a possibility, although outside, to stick with the club.  It's hardly unusual to move guys like that up.

Anyways, there's always at least two sides to whether someone was rushed or not, and if he hadn't lost his mechanics, he probably would have been on the mound last night in MM.  I think the question is why he lost his mechanics, was it competition or something someone like him was always likely to do.

Some realize he was rushed.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2019, 12:21:58 pm »
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2019, 01:08:29 pm »
Some realize he was rushed.

Agreed.  He pitched a ton his SR year, and has thrown 160 innings in the 4 years since.  The kid's still 21.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2019, 02:10:36 pm »
If it is just a time to get his head and mechanics figured out, it is the perfect time.  If he does any extended spring pitching, he will be facing more experienced guys now than he will in a few weeks after the just drafted kids get there and the EST guys head to Tri Cities. 
Always ready to go to a game.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2019, 10:39:39 pm »
Round Rock was just going through the motions tonight. Didn't get a hit until the 6th, and those two hits were both infield dribblers. Missed cuts, dropped throws, jogging out ground balls. It was hard to be encouraged that there's much more help available.

If somebody wants to give us a pitcher in exchange for Tucker, they're welcome to him.

Alvarez hit a couple of semi-deep flies, but nothing scary. It looks like his arm might be ok in LF, but he'll top out as an average defender at best. It didn't look to me like he moves particularly well. He's not a slug, but he's just not smooth.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2019, 07:50:46 am »
Round Rock was just going through the motions tonight. Didn't get a hit until the 6th, and those two hits were both infield dribblers. Missed cuts, dropped throws, jogging out ground balls. It was hard to be encouraged that there's much more help available.

I mainly watched AA over the last decade and only seen a few AAA games during that time.  From that small sample size, I agree that a lot of AAA players just appear to be going through the motions.  However, I've concluded that you can't take much away from that.  I saw Fisher just last week loaf out a ball hit to second, and it was difficult to watch but he's hustling in the big leagues now. 

AA is a better product IMO as the games have more intensity.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2019, 12:34:58 pm »
I mainly watched AA over the last decade and only seen a few AAA games during that time.  From that small sample size, I agree that a lot of AAA players just appear to be going through the motions.  However, I've concluded that you can't take much away from that.  I saw Fisher just last week loaf out a ball hit to second, and it was difficult to watch but he's hustling in the big leagues now. 

AA is a better product IMO as the games have more intensity.

Excellent observation, and it is certainly in line with my thoughts as well. I've seen lots of both AA and AAA ball. AAA has become a storing place for "insurance policy" players, e.g., the third catcher, backup starting pitching, etc., while most of the real prospects are at AA. Many of these AAA players who are on the 40 man roster frequently shuttle back and forth to the big leagues. Detroit shuttles players back and forth here to Toledo almost every day. Often, these players have some time in the show. For example, I just saw Logan Morrison and Brad Miller playing for Scranton-Wilks Barre (and Morrison not very well, hitting about .130).
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2019, 03:21:12 am »
Excellent observation, and it is certainly in line with my thoughts as well. I've seen lots of both AA and AAA ball. AAA has become a storing place for "insurance policy" players, e.g., the third catcher, backup starting pitching, etc., while most of the real prospects are at AA. Many of these AAA players who are on the 40 man roster frequently shuttle back and forth to the big leagues. Detroit shuttles players back and forth here to Toledo almost every day. Often, these players have some time in the show. For example, I just saw Logan Morrison and Brad Miller playing for Scranton-Wilks Barre (and Morrison not very well, hitting about .130).

What does Detroit have to do with anything re: the Astros?

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2019, 08:55:24 am »
Excellent observation, and it is certainly in line with my thoughts as well. I've seen lots of both AA and AAA ball. AAA has become a storing place for "insurance policy" players, e.g., the third catcher, backup starting pitching, etc., while most of the real prospects are at AA.
This has been true for a very long time. Hot prospects and marginal ones fighting to keep hope alive populate AA. AAA has a few blocked prospects and a lot of AAAA insurance players.
Up in the Air

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2019, 06:59:45 pm »
What does Detroit have to do with anything re: the Astros?

Do I really need to explain that the use of Detroit was as an example? The Yankees and Scranton Wilkes-Barre do the same thing, so I could have used them.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2019, 07:48:44 pm »
Do I really need to explain that the use of Detroit was as an example? The Yankees and Scranton Wilkes-Barre do the same thing, so I could have used them.
Just a question of talent.  The AA/AAA dichotomy has been around for ages.

Regardless of nothing, here's a great read:  https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190602/pipeline-gushes-talent-for-astros-express

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2019, 10:08:15 am »
Just a question of talent.  The AA/AAA dichotomy has been around for ages.

Regardless of nothing, here's a great read:  https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190602/pipeline-gushes-talent-for-astros-express

Rojas kinda flies under the radar but I think he will play in the MLs a long time.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2019, 04:15:57 pm »
Rojas kinda flies under the radar but I think he will play in the MLs a long time.
The Astros seem to have a patent on the process for developing these uber-utility players.  Rojas, De Goti, Duarte, Angarita, E.Valdez, Hensley, T.Dawson, Dennis & Wielansky are all at various levels in the minors with multiple position exposure.  And even Freudis Nova,  the hot-shot SS getting his first taste of full season ball, is seeing all three IF positions regularly.
Up in the Air

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Round Rock 2019
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2019, 03:34:19 pm »
Round Rock scored 26 runs last night. Alvarez 0-4; Tucker with 2 home runs.
E come vivo? Vivo.