Author Topic: Round Rock 2019  (Read 12410 times)

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Round Rock 2019
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 08:05:21 am »
Even though there may be discounting factors, Alvarez is now at 9 homers, hitting 315 with a 1309 OPS.  A pretty solid start.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 01:45:55 pm »
Even though there may be discounting factors, Alvarez is now at 9 homers, hitting 315 with a 1309 OPS.  A pretty solid start.

Another HR, 2B and 3 RBI on a 3-hit day.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 06:21:08 pm »
I'm so ready for Alvarez to come to Houston.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2019, 05:52:48 am »
Let's play good news/bad news from last night:

Tucker -
Good news - Hit a home run
Bad News - K'd 2 times

Straw -
Good news - 1 for 4 with an RBI and is hitting .309 for the year
Bad News - made his 2nd error at short stop (maybe not really that bad his early fielding percentage is .947)

Offense -
Good news - scored 2 runs with only 6 base runners (5H, 1 BB). Showed pop with a HR (Tucker) and a 2B (Ferguson)
Bad news - K'd 14 times and only had 6 base runners.

Pitchers (Martin/Perez/Guduan)
Good news - Combined to allow 8 hits, no runs, 1 BB and 9 Ks to shut out New Orleans.  Martin also picked off 2 runners at 1st.  (also got 2 double plays turned behind them)
Bad news - everyone allowed a hit???? Really I got nothing.
Always ready to go to a game.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2019, 07:15:21 pm »
This San Antonio pitcher hasn’t been able to get anyone out.  2 runs in and two on.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2019, 07:18:01 pm »
Six to nothing now and still no one out in the top of the first.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2019, 07:43:22 pm »
Dell Diamond is so very much nicer place than Nelson Wolfe. Too bad San Antonio couldn’t get that new downtown stadium.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2019, 08:17:56 pm »
Now there’s a rain delay, lightning but no rain. Must be on the way. I might have to leave, I don’t
Know how much of REO riding the storm out I can stand. Okay now Stevie Ray, better. Still not a drop but the tarp is out. 6 - 1 after 4 1/2.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2019, 02:03:56 am »
Dell Diamond is so very much nicer place than Nelson Wolfe. Too bad San Antonio couldn’t get that new downtown stadium.
Have you checked out the video batting cage, whatever they call it?

It is awesome.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2019, 07:30:45 am »
Have you checked out the video batting cage, whatever they call it?

It is awesome.
I didn't. I'm going back Monday. It's 50 minutes from my house to The Wolfe and 1 hour and 20 minutes to Dell Diamond. 2 hrs and 20 minutes to MMP.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2019, 09:00:18 am »
Went to the game last night, hoping to see Whitley, but he wasn't scheduled. Anyway, Alvarez with two more homers, both to left.  The first was more of a line drive on a better than excuse me swing, but not an aggressive cut.  The other was a towering fly ball that made it over after fighting off a slew of 3-2 pitches.  I left before his final AB, where he had another double to left.  I think I've seen four homers of his in person and have yet to see one on his pull side of center field.  I was impressed on one catch he had.  Off the bat, I figured it would land between him and Fisher, then midway, I assume Fisher would track it, but instead it was Alvarez who got there.  Not a wow play by any means, but solid.

Only saw one ball hit to Straw at SS.  He ranged to his right and got a force at third.

Urquidy.  Good fastball (94-98) that probably is decent in the spin rate they talk about.  Seems to generally stay off bats.  I assume he was working on his change as he threw it a lot.  Not a good pitch at all.  No deception or movement.  Meat.  He could command his slider but it was just average.

Reed hit a homer after I left, but prior to that, he looked like someone who didn't really want to be playing baseball.  That was my impression at least.

Was surprised how small Stubbs was, but he put a charge into one line drive deep into the left field alley.  Hardest hit ball of the night, IMO.

Either they had absolutely no respect for the Sounds catcher or they are making a concerted effort to steal bases.  The first three guys I recall that made it to first left on the first pitch.  All successful.

georgiasamba

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2019, 09:13:28 am »
About that last AB. He was tagging to get to 3rd, looked over his shoulder to see that the center fielder was in no hurry to throw it, sped up, rounded 3rd and easily scored.  It was my favorite part of the game.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2019, 09:20:00 am »
Went to the game last night, hoping to see Whitley, but he wasn't scheduled. Anyway, Alvarez with two more homers, both to left.  The first was more of a line drive on a better than excuse me swing, but not an aggressive cut.  The other was a towering fly ball that made it over after fighting off a slew of 3-2 pitches.  I left before his final AB, where he had another double to left.  I think I've seen four homers of his in person and have yet to see one on his pull side of center field.  I was impressed on one catch he had.  Off the bat, I figured it would land between him and Fisher, then midway, I assume Fisher would track it, but instead it was Alvarez who got there.  Not a wow play by any means, but solid.

Only saw one ball hit to Straw at SS.  He ranged to his right and got a force at third.

Urquidy.  Good fastball (94-98) that probably is decent in the spin rate they talk about.  Seems to generally stay off bats.  I assume he was working on his change as he threw it a lot.  Not a good pitch at all.  No deception or movement.  Meat.  He could command his slider but it was just average.

Reed hit a homer after I left, but prior to that, he looked like someone who didn't really want to be playing baseball.  That was my impression at least.

Was surprised how small Stubbs was, but he put a charge into one line drive deep into the left field alley.  Hardest hit ball of the night, IMO.

Either they had absolutely no respect for the Sounds catcher or they are making a concerted effort to steal bases.  The first three guys I recall that made it to first left on the first pitch.  All successful.

Thanks for the report. Now that I have re-located to Georgetown I need to get out there and take in a game or two.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2019, 04:20:56 pm »
Wee need an OWA viewing party.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2019, 03:34:46 pm »
# 18 for Yordan today
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2019, 08:30:29 am »
What was up with the Express last night? They brought Jamie Ritchie in to pitch the 12th and he promptly gave up 2 for the loss. No real pitchers left?
Up in the Air

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2019, 02:51:23 pm »
Round Rock is averaging about 8,600 people/game.  The Marlins are averaging about 9,800/game.

I'd take the Express over the Marlins right now in a best of 3 series.
Boom!

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2019, 07:22:09 pm »
Round Rock is averaging about 8,600 people/game.  The Marlins are averaging about 9,800/game.

I'd take the Express over the Marlins right now in a best of 3 series.

Tickets sold, not AIS, in RR.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2019, 08:18:05 am »
Saw Whitley last night.  Ugly line: 2IP, 7 Runs, 2 homers.  A play not-made in the outfield could have trimmed 3 runs of the line, but it would have been just as ugly a performance.

He seems like he is in an extreme mechanical rut.  I watched him warm up in the pen and he looked very uncomfortable and was inconsistent: looked frustrated about his plant foot and/or the mound.  The warmup was a preview of the game.  He was inconsistent, behind in the counts, looking like just throwing a strike was more important than attacking the hitter.  Anyways, as you would guess, if you can't execute what you intend, you lose focus and confidence.  The vicious cycle where the rut is becoming a hole.  He and the coaches have their work cut out for them.

Good news is that the inherent ability is still there, at least IMO.  I have not read any reports from the org or scouts, giving an knowledgeable opinion on his struggles.

My data set of watching pitchers is limited, but I always wonder if the tall, somewhat gangly guys often take a longer time learning to repeat their delivery.  That's my hope at least.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2019, 05:56:51 pm »
My data set of watching pitchers is limited, but I always wonder if the tall, somewhat gangly guys often take a longer time learning to repeat their delivery.  That's my hope at least.

Was the delivery more repeatable at lower levels, or was he just able to get away with it because of the relative inexperience of those hitters?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy