Author Topic: Round Rock 2019  (Read 11168 times)

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Round Rock 2019
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 12:45:32 pm »
The conversion to utility player is still on.  Today is Straw's third start at short stop in five games.
Started in CF yesterday I do believe. 

Luhnow said they'd give him a couple of weeks to see if he can handle SS and then re-evaluate things.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 01:02:55 pm »
A few years ago, they tried someone at short who made no sense (not an opinion on Straw at SS).  A Reed-type body, IIRC (well, maybe not that bad).  Who was it?

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 01:04:17 pm »
A few years ago, they tried someone at short who made no sense (not an opinion on Straw at SS).  A Reed-type body, IIRC (well, maybe not that bad).  Who was it?

Tyler White?

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 01:33:48 pm »
Yes.  Thank you.  Looked him up on BB Ref and see he had 31 games played at SS from 2016-18.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 03:13:15 pm »
I am going to be doing color with Capps for a game or two each month this season. I am so looking forward to talking about some guys I know a little about. Lots of talent  in RR in April.

This is outstanding. It's made my day!!!
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 02:40:48 pm »
Has anyone who's been to a game have a scouting report on Tucker?  His spring training scuffling seems to have carried over into the season.  I know small sample size and all that, but I'm almost wondering if he's hurt.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 07:50:32 pm »
Has anyone who's been to a game have a scouting report on Tucker?  His spring training scuffling seems to have carried over into the season.  I know small sample size and all that, but I'm almost wondering if he's hurt.

No idea yet on Tucker.  It's early though?

Alvarez hit yet another bomb last night to go along with a couple of doubles, and spent the whole game playing 1B.  I'd love to know how he looked there.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2019, 07:52:54 pm »
Only saw him in the Hooks exhibition, but he still looks stiff with a long swing to me — more like a tennis stroke. If it was something that obvious, though, smarter baseball minds than mine would have given up on him long ago.
Up in the Air

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 09:45:46 am »
Only saw him in the Hooks exhibition, but he still looks stiff with a long swing to me — more like a tennis stroke. If it was something that obvious, though, smarter baseball minds than mine would have given up on him long ago.

Aren't the Astros on record stating they have no intentions of altering Tucker's swing?  I don't know how he hits with that loop, but the numbers are there at every level so far (except the one that matters).

I wouldn't be concerned with his output yet,  Slow starts seem to be in his DNA.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2019, 03:50:00 pm »
Aren't the Astros on record stating they have no intentions of altering Tucker's swing?  I don't know how he hits with that loop, but the numbers are there at every level so far (except the one that matters).

I wouldn't be concerned with his output yet,  Slow starts seem to be in his DNA.
FWIW, I agree.  I just don't understand.
Up in the Air

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 12:18:19 pm »
Listen to the Express games here. They're playing right now. 5-1 Memphis.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 12:20:07 pm »
Not a good outing by Forrest.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 03:50:04 pm »

Hinch is on record as saying he needs to make changes in his swing, but I do not know what kind. I agree his swing is unorthodox-stiff and long.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 07:39:10 am »
I read a short interview with Hinch where he said Tucker needed a ‘B’ swing for certain situations and they were working with him on that.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 08:12:48 am »
I read a short interview with Hinch where he said Tucker needed a ‘B’ swing for certain situations and they were working with him on that.
If so, that may explain his RR numbers. It will be interesting to look at monthly splits.
Up in the Air

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 10:47:11 am »
still seems  strange when the local Austin news comes on and  Round Rock comes up in sports, I had drowned it out for so many years and all at once you hear Forest W , Tucker, other names and Houston Astros...music to the ears.
forever is composed entirely of nows

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 09:32:11 pm »
Alvarez with #7

gundy315

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 01:10:26 pm »
Brady Rodgers' stats look really good so far.  It looks like he has knocked off some of the rust after ST.  Has anyone seen him throw in RR yet?   

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2019, 05:56:06 pm »
I’d forgotten this, but they’ve finally started using MLB balls at AAA this season. And early returns show the ball—by design or not, no need to rehash that here—is flying farther and faster than ever. Expect some AAA hitters and pitchers to put up career high home run totals.

Of course, because it’s the MLB ball now, I guess those “inflated” AAA numbers should be ever-so-slightly more indicative of that we can expect when guys reach the bigs.

Link

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 07:29:11 pm »
I’d forgotten this, but they’ve finally started using MLB balls at AAA this season. And early returns show the ball—by design or not, no need to rehash that here—is flying farther and faster than ever. Expect some AAA hitters and pitchers to put up career high home run totals.

Of course, because it’s the MLB ball now, I guess those “inflated” AAA numbers should be ever-so-slightly more indicative of that we can expect when guys reach the bigs.

Link

I thought PCL was already a hitters league.  This makes it more so.
Always ready to go to a game.