Author Topic: Nashville  (Read 3223 times)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Nashville
« on: March 02, 2019, 06:13:30 pm »
My wife and I are going to our niece's wedding in Chattanooga in April, and we're going to fly into Nashville a little early and spend a day and change there before heading southeast. Does anybody have recommendations of noteworthy things that we shouldn't miss?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: Nashville
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 06:54:42 pm »
I like going to the old Ryman auditorium, where the Grand Ole Opry was held for many years. The tour was fun and getting the opportunity to stand in the same place where greats like Hank Williams and Ernest Tubb entertained was awe inspiring.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 08:20:22 pm »
If you like art and gardens Cheeckwood.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 09:09:42 pm »
recently took in the country music hall of fame.  It was very well done.  I spent about 2 hours there, could have easily spent 4. 
Always ready to go to a game.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 11:05:45 pm »
recently took in the country music hall of fame.  It was very well done.  I spent about 2 hours there, could have easily spent 4.

I like Nashville, and it's really booming now, but the Country Music Hall of Fame was far and away the best thing I saw there. I don't know if Studio A is still a part of the tour, but it's as important and interesting as the Hall is.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

jwhudson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 09:32:42 am »
The Parthenon (full size replica at Park next to Vanderbilt U.), The Hermitage (Andy Jackson's Home - just outside of town), Jack's BBQ (across the alley from the Rhyman).

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 10:07:59 am »
If you're in to craft beer/IPAs, I can't recommend Bearded Iris Brewing enough.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 01:13:15 pm »
If you're in to craft beer/IPAs, I can't recommend Bearded Iris Brewing enough.

Now I want to go.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 02:05:36 pm »
Well, there's sixteen thousand eight hundred 'n twenty one mothers from Nashville. All their friends play music, and they ain't uptight if one of the kids will. Because it's custom made for any mother's son to be a guitar picker in Nashville. And I sure am glad I got a chance to say a word about the music and the mothers from Nashville.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 02:29:07 pm »
Well, there's sixteen thousand eight hundred 'n twenty one mothers from Nashville. All their friends play music, and they ain't uptight if one of the kids will. Because it's custom made for any mother's son to be a guitar picker in Nashville. And I sure am glad I got a chance to say a word about the music and the mothers from Nashville.

Been playin' since they's babies.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 02:50:55 pm »
The hills are filled with naked hee-haw honeys who all sing along in perfect harmony. The worlds greatest living guitar pickers can deliver you a pizza or sell you weed
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 06:29:05 pm »
Hattie B's or Pepperfire for hot chicken.

Country Music HOF
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 11:14:03 am »
Also saw that Folk, an Italian joint, was named a semi-finalist for the James Beard awards.  Pizzas looked awesome.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Noe

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 11:43:07 am »
The Pancake Pantry is near the college campus and if you are inclined to wait in a very long line to get in, it's a good brunch place. The pancakes are great, but worth a wait in line? Probably more about saying you ate there than it has to be on your list of things to do in Nashville. I second all the recommendations of the Country Music Hall of Fame and a visit to the RCA Studio A.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 11:48:29 am »
There's a Willie Nelson Museum near Opryland. I don't remember any  particular exhibit, but it was all Willie so it was all right.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 12:50:51 pm »
There's a Willie Nelson Museum near Opryland. I don't remember any  particular exhibit, but it was all Willie so it was all right.

I hope it's better than the Roy Orbison Museum out in Wink.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 08:03:34 pm »
Strongly recommend Demos
Always ready to go to a game.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 10:58:42 pm »
Well, the weather was terrible for our visit. We had hoped to see the Express against the Sounds on Thursday night, but I don't even know if they played the game. It rained all day Friday, too, but we got out to a yarn store for my wife and off to Gruhn Guitars for me. Great store with *lots* of cool guitars. They had a Fender Strat that was born the same year as me ('56). Sadly, it was $20K, so I settled for a new strap instead. Had lunch at Hattie B's, then went to Belmont U to visit the guitar museum there, but it was closed for Good Friday. Weather was going downhill from there, so we went back to the hotel and rested up for the weekend.  Drove to Chattanooga on Saturday and visited a guitar museum there. Miraculously, the rain stopped for the (outdoor) wedding Saturday afternoon, which was the only thing that really mattered.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I hope to avail myself of more of them on a future trip.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy