Author Topic: Aches and Pains (2019)  (Read 30889 times)

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Aches and Pains (2019)
« Reply #720 on: September 03, 2019, 04:02:54 pm »
Lumbar discectomy, I assume.  Several MLB position players have had the proceedure with varying results upon return, but I can't think of one as young as Correa, Neil Walker was 30, that's as close as I get.

Correa has a ruptured disk?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 03, 2019, 04:08:40 pm »
Correa has a ruptured disk?

I've been assuming he has a disc issue, yes.  Come to think of it, have they ever announced what was specifically wrong with him? 

eta:  I am aware that this is not why he's currently on the DL, and am not advocating that he have back surgery this offseason.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:11:27 pm by Lefty »
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 03, 2019, 04:10:52 pm »
I've been assuming it's a disc issue, yes.  Come to think of it, have they ever announced what was specifically wrong with him?

Of course they have: discomfort.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #723 on: September 03, 2019, 04:13:07 pm »
How does one get this fixed?

Back surgery if he has herniated discs. I had two, and I was almost 70 for the second one. Immediate fix, short and easy rehab.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 03, 2019, 04:18:55 pm »
I've been assuming he has a disc issue, yes.  Come to think of it, have they ever announced what was specifically wrong with him? 

eta:  I am aware that this is not why he's currently on the DL, and am not advocating that he have back surgery this offseason.

With a neurosurgeon, simple disc surgery is easy.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 03, 2019, 04:19:30 pm »
I have arthritis in my lower back.  Constant and nagging pain.  And Aleve only goes so far.  I have no idea what is wrong with Correa's back, but I know I couldn't swing a bat with my condition.  I hope that what he has is fixable. 
Boom!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 03, 2019, 04:24:15 pm »
I have arthritis in my lower back.  Constant and nagging pain.  And Aleve only goes so far.  I have no idea what is wrong with Correa's back, but I know I couldn't swing a bat with my condition.  I hope that what he has is fixable.

Yeah, me too. You have my sympathy for your situation. Back pack can be unbearable; I could not function. Luckily mine was simple, fixable, and easy. No pain drugs or Aleve required.

I have not read any statement about the cause of Correa’s pain.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Aches and Pains (2019)
« Reply #727 on: September 03, 2019, 04:45:27 pm »
A good massage will fix him right up.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 03, 2019, 04:47:07 pm »
With a neurosurgeon, simple disc surgery is easy.

Amen.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 03, 2019, 09:39:10 pm »
per Berman, Springer will be evaluated tomorrow and is considered day to day.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 03, 2019, 09:58:29 pm »
per Berman, Springer will be evaluated tomorrow and is considered day to day.

Concussion protocol, no doubt. Glad he did not snap his neck.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 03, 2019, 10:11:39 pm »
Concussion protocol, no doubt. Glad he did not snap his neck.

Yep, I was really worried about neck damage, a cracked bone or something like that.

Chandler Rome tweet:  Josh Reddick: "When me and Mike got there, (Springer) seemed to be very alert. He just kept saying he had a headache. That was a positive sign. He wasn’t dizzy. He didn’t have any memory loss out there. He made sure he answered all the questions right."

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 04, 2019, 09:24:11 am »
Yep, I was really worried about neck damage, a cracked bone or something like that.

Chandler Rome tweet:  Josh Reddick: "When me and Mike got there, (Springer) seemed to be very alert. He just kept saying he had a headache. That was a positive sign. He wasn’t dizzy. He didn’t have any memory loss out there. He made sure he answered all the questions right."

The Brewers announcers discussed the confusion caused by the length of the warning track last night, as Springer was being attended to.

(1:33:00) The "extra wide" warning track got him there.  He thot he was closer to the wall than he actually was.....

For some reason, the warning track is five feet deep rather than the usual three feet.  That's why he jumped too soon. 

Why is the warning track so deep?
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 04, 2019, 09:30:13 am »
The Brewers announcers discussed the confusion caused by the length of the warning track last night, as Springer was being attended to.

For some reason, the warning track is five feet deep rather than the usual three feet.  That's why he jumped too soon. 

To give the OFers more time before they hit the wall.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 04, 2019, 10:08:30 am »

Three feet or thee yards? Three feet is just a step and not much of a "warning" for a guy running.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 04, 2019, 10:16:18 am »

Warning tracks are a lot wider than three feet.  The typical track is about 15 feet.  The conventional wisdom is giving the outfielder three strides before hitting the wall.  Normally, outfielders will familiarize themselves with the track and the wall at every ballpark, usually part of pre-game warmups or bp.  I don't know if Springer did that or not, but it's not a park he's used to playing at, so if it's unusually wide, that could be the source of his thinking he was closer than he was. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 04, 2019, 10:48:08 am »
Warning tracks are a lot wider than three feet.  The typical track is about 15 feet.  The conventional wisdom is giving the outfielder three strides before hitting the wall.  Normally, outfielders will familiarize themselves with the track and the wall at every ballpark, usually part of pre-game warmups or bp.  I don't know if Springer did that or not, but it's not a park he's used to playing at, so if it's unusually wide, that could be the source of his thinking he was closer than he was.

Snuffy, you appear to be relatively new to baseball. If you want to know the potential consequences of no padded walls and (almost certainly) of no warning tracks, do a little reading about Pete Reiser.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 04, 2019, 10:55:44 am »

Correction: Listened to it again: they called it a "five-stepper", rather than a "three-stepper" warning track.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 04, 2019, 10:58:34 am »
Snuffy, you appear to be relatively new to baseball. If you want to know the potential consequences of no padded walls and (almost certainly) of no warning tracks, do a little reading about Pete Reiser.

I do have a lot to learn - that's why I am here.
Upset to know that the unusual length of the warning track may have had a part in Springer's injury.
They mentioned he had not played much on this field.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 04, 2019, 11:24:04 am »
I do have a lot to learn - that's why I am here.
Upset to know that the unusual length of the warning track may have had a part in Springer's injury.
They mentioned he had not played much on this field.

Springer’s fault for not knowing this. Not the field’s fault or the Brewers’.