Author Topic: Spring Training 2019  (Read 5220 times)

Noe in Austin

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • I give clown answers, bro!
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Training 2019
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2019, 02:53:47 pm »
Big experiment today, they put Toro in at shortstop this past half inning. Right off the bat (literally), he gets a multi-hop high grounder that he has to rush to his left to trap on a short hop, stop on a dime and then unleash a cannon throw. He did is all flawlessly but the Phillie runner beat the throw even though the first baseman stretched out to get the ball. Bang-bang play but I saw nothing wrong on the play. In fact, Toro did everything right with the footwork which was impressive. If they do groom this guy to be the next Marwin Gonzales, here is hoping he does well on both defense and offense because he's shown me he is not intimidated by the challenge.

Okay, just realized, the Astros were in a shift and Toro was playing near the shortstop area. So he's not being used as a shortstop but he did make a shortstop type of play. Carry on.
"He is a cockroach. And on Monday, he went splat." - Jeff Passan (on Ryan Braun)

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2019, 03:09:25 pm »
Okay, just realized, the Astros were in a shift and Toro was playing near the shortstop area. So he's not being used as a shortstop but he did make a shortstop type of play. Carry on.
His write up says he has played some catcher and second base but don’t expect to see that again.

Back to Alvarez for a second, his write up says most scouts in the league say he is a first baseman but the Astros seem intent on making him a left fielder. Nice to see him make that play today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2019, 05:04:01 pm »
I don’t think much shortstop is in Toro’s future. He’s not a Marwin or even a Marwin-lite as a defender.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2019, 05:16:49 pm »
Ok. I thought at one time I remembered 1B being his natural position. Perhaps next season Gurriel transitions to DH and Alvarez takes over at 1B??

DH is his only natural position. His glove is adequate at 1B but don’t count on much in the way of range or fielding bunts. In LF he will make routine flies a lot more interesting.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2019, 05:22:47 pm »
I don’t think much shortstop is in Toro’s future. He’s not a Marwin or even a Marwin-lite as a defender.
Exactly. Above average at 3B. No reason he couldn’t learn 1B. But SS would be a stretch.
Up in the Air

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2019, 05:51:36 pm »
Bukauskas with 3 more good IP today.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2019, 06:12:02 pm »
Bukauskas with 3 more good IP today.

This game today was a pleasure to watch from start to finish. Peacock, Brantley, Correa, Kemp, the kids, Bukauskas, James... It's absurd how much talent this organization has hoarded. Didn't hurt either to see the Phillies broadcast focusing again and again on Houston: I especially enjoyed the bar graph of team wins going back to, I believe, 2012. Somehow I hadn't realized that Peacock was a 41st round pick.

Alvarez looms over the plate. His size and quiet makes every at bat an event. I suspect (knock on wood) we're in for some fun.

Jesus, remember 2012? Remember '13? 

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2019, 06:32:11 pm »

Thankfully,  I remember very little from The Dark Times.

Craig

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2019, 06:49:40 pm »
This game today was a pleasure to watch from start to finish. Peacock, Brantley, Correa, Kemp, the kids, Bukauskas, James... It's absurd how much talent this organization has hoarded. Didn't hurt either to see the Phillies broadcast focusing again and again on Houston: I especially enjoyed the bar graph of team wins going back to, I believe, 2012. Somehow I hadn't realized that Peacock was a 41st round pick.

Alvarez looms over the plate. His size and quiet makes every at bat an event. I suspect (knock on wood) we're in for some fun.

I'm really excited about having Brantley in the line-up. He isn't flashy or cocky; he just hits. I think he's going to be a great addition.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2019, 06:50:31 pm »
This game today was a pleasure to watch from start to finish. Peacock, Brantley, Correa, Kemp, the kids, Bukauskas, James...
What channel showed this?  I see it’s scheduled on MLBN on tape delay, but didn’t see it listed live.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2019, 06:51:03 pm »
I'm really excited about having Brantley in the line-up. He isn't flashy or cocky; he just hits. I think he's going to be a great addition.

Professional hitter (Brantley).

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2019, 08:50:04 pm »
Professional hitter (Brantley).

I think of Alou every time Brantley is at the plate. That’s a really good thing to think.  Just a really good, professional hitter. His second RBI hit today was a thing of beauty; following the slider down and poking it to left field.

The glasses he wears probably reinforce my memories of Alou as well.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2019, 09:07:18 am »
What channel showed this?  I see it’s scheduled on MLBN on tape delay, but didn’t see it listed live.

MLBtv, Phillies broadcast.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2019, 12:40:52 pm »
Hunter Atkins  @HunterAtkins35 2h ago
Hinch said Angel Hernandez once admitted to him he makes “four bad calls a game.” Hinch took issue with the calls in the first inning and from the dugout shouted, “You’ve used all four.” Hernandez tossed him immediately.

Hinch serving one game suspension today for this BS. 

But he’s watching Verlander pitch at Minor League camp and got to skip the 2.5 hour bus ride to Disney. FAH.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:44:29 pm by astrojo »

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2019, 05:18:41 pm »
Here's the pitch to Springer (you may need to zoom out to find it):

https://twitter.com/klkdave/status/1107303038799282177?s=19

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2019, 10:59:01 pm »
Hinch serving one game suspension today for this BS. 

But he’s watching Verlander pitch at Minor League camp and got to skip the 2.5 hour bus ride to Disney. FAH.

FAH

TeeJoe

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2019, 08:35:09 am »
Jim, you are knowledgeable. What do you think about his swing? I know that to me, traditionally, lefties have beautiful swings. Tucker’s is borderline ugly to me and it looks uncomfortable to the eye. It almost looks like he’s being restrained or held back when he swings. Now that really doesn’t matter if the dude hits and that’s all he has done coming up, but it is hard to ignore all of the “baseball people” who have said his swing is a problem.

I hope he pans out, but I will not complain if we move him for Robbie Ray (or someone other proven pitcher) later in the year. Toro, Straw and Alvarez are proof that we have deep talent if we want to move Tucker.

Unfortunately last spring Tucker was compared to Ted Williams. It was a silly comparison to make for a young kid learning to play the game.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-outfielder-prospect-Kyle-Tucker-nickname-12713127.php

Although Crawfishboxes recently did a good breakdown of his swing and tendencies here…

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-outfielder-prospect-Kyle-Tucker-nickname-12713127.php

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2019, 08:35:21 am »
Here's the pitch to Springer (you may need to zoom out to find it):

https://twitter.com/klkdave/status/1107303038799282177?s=19

Good grief. How can that jerk get nothing?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2019, 03:47:43 pm »
Irrationally exuberant about Correa getting over whatever he had last season.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2019, 04:06:53 pm »
Irrationally exuberant about Correa getting over whatever he had last season.

I recently finished reading Astroball and I am very emotionally invested in a Correa bounce back season.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."