Author Topic: Bochy Announces Retirement  (Read 1789 times)

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
Bochy Announces Retirement
« on: February 19, 2019, 07:52:07 am »
He has had a good career as a manager. Gonna call it quits at the end of the 2019 season. Has he done enough as a manager to make the Hall of Fame? I don't know what it takes anymore after the Harold Baines fiasco.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: Bochy Announces Retirement
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:06:21 am »
He's won four pennants...every other manager who won that many is in the HOF.  He won three World Series...every other manager who won that many is in the HOF.  He'll probably end up 10th on the all time wins list, ahead of guys like Casey Stengel, Tommy Lasorda, Earl Weaver, Wilbert Robinson and Whitey Herzog...all HOFers.  The only black mark is his record will be slightly below .500.  Only Connie Mack and Bucky Harris will likely be worse as HOF managers.  Still, I can't see Bochy not being a HOFer.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:29:21 am »
He'll always be an astros backup catcher to me.
Boom!

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 09:36:09 am »
He's won four pennants...every other manager who won that many is in the HOF.  He won three World Series...every other manager who won that many is in the HOF.  He'll probably end up 10th on the all time wins list, ahead of guys like Casey Stengel, Tommy Lasorda, Earl Weaver, Wilbert Robinson and Whitey Herzog...all HOFers.  The only black mark is his record will be slightly below .500.  Only Connie Mack and Bucky Harris will likely be worse as HOF managers.  Still, I can't see Bochy not being a HOFer.
Agreed.  These last few years haven't helped his case, but those teams haven't had much to work with.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 12:00:09 pm »
I always kind of thought he was the best manager out there over the last 10 years. Who's better Francona? Maddon?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 01:24:27 pm »
I always kind of thought he was the best manager out there over the last 10 years. Who's better Francona? Maddon?

You're correct. When I need a win, I want Bochy managing my team. Clearly the best manager in the game. What the Giants management has done to him the past five years is pathetic as far as talent procurement goes.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 01:33:21 pm »
You're correct. When I need a win, I want Bochy managing my team. Clearly the best manager in the game. What the Giants management has done to him the past five years is pathetic as far as talent procurement goes.
Even the years they won, they didn't really put together a great team. Just great manager + 2 great players and a bunch of cogs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 01:37:28 pm »
Even the years they won, they didn't really put together a great team. Just great manager + 2 great players and a bunch of cogs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was living out in Napa at the time and used to go to AT&T Park a lot. You're right that some of those Giants teams simply peaked at the right time because their overall season record was not great. He had good starting pitching in Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum and MadBum. Buster Posey. Usually a good bully too.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius