Author Topic: Some seriously bad shit going down in Seattle  (Read 4163 times)

Sambito Redux

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Re: Some seriously bad shit going down in Seattle
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 10:00:49 am »
Pisses me off to read this....  this is a nightmare for the Mariners and to be honest, do not mind if they get years of Karmic backdraft
"Look at the size of that boy's head! It's like an orange on toothpick, a virtual planetoid.  Head move! 

Aye, that was offsides, he'll be crying himself to sleep tonight on his big pilla"

Scottish Father (So I Married An Axe Murderer)

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 11:12:09 am »
Sounds like she needs someone to collaborate her story, I  wonder if she ever told her psychologist, wrote it in her diary, or marked it on a calendar. Okay, that last bit was a little cynical, I'm sorry if it offended anyone. But it's just really difficult for me to believe that as long as he's been around, Scott Servais would say that about Latinos. Anyway, screw those barnacle ridden Scallywags.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 12:34:26 pm »
Sounds like she needs someone to collaborate her story, I  wonder if she ever told her psychologist, wrote it in her diary, or marked it on a calendar. Okay, that last bit was a little cynical, I'm sorry if it offended anyone. But it's just really difficult for me to believe that as long as he's been around, Scott Servais would say that about Latinos. Anyway, screw those barnacle ridden Scallywags.

I looked at this story with a very skeptical eye. True or not, I have no idea. Which is why I used the title I did on the post because just putting this stuff out there is so damning.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:37:28 pm by juliogotay »

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 01:08:40 pm »
I looked at this story with a very skeptical eye. True or not, I have no idea. Which is why I used the title I did on the post because just putting this stuff out there is so damning.
True or not, If I were the owner i would take the opportunity to fire Dipoto anyway. Servais too, if I could substantiate that he really said that shit. Record wise, Dipoto and Servais have been medeocre to dismal.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 07:51:35 am »
I am skeptical. Latin players are not smart enough to be catchers? Really? Look around.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 09:42:01 am »
True or not, If I were the owner i would take the opportunity to fire Dipoto anyway. Servais too, if I could substantiate that he really said that shit. Record wise, Dipoto and Servais have been medeocre to dismal.

Dipoto has only been there for three seasons and they're 253-233 in that span.  He also inherited some huge contracts (roughly $85mm in annual payroll tied up in just four players - Cruz, Cano, Seager, King Felix) that I'm sure made it difficult to work around.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 10:20:52 am »
Dipoto has only been there for three seasons and they're 253-233 in that span.  He also inherited some huge contracts (roughly $85mm in annual payroll tied up in just four players - Cruz, Cano, Seager, King Felix) that I'm sure made it difficult to work around.
In three years Dipoto's traded for Mallex Smith, traded him away, and traded for him a second time.

"If and when the trade is finalized this week, after everyone passes physicals, the M’s will have ended up trading basically four left-hander pitchers, one of whom was exceptionally successful last season, a catcher and an outfielder for Smith and a handful of others who never made a dent in the M’s roster."

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 10:34:16 am »
In three years Dipoto's traded for Mallex Smith, traded him away, and traded for him a second time.

"If and when the trade is finalized this week, after everyone passes physicals, the M’s will have ended up trading basically four left-hander pitchers, one of whom was exceptionally successful last season, a catcher and an outfielder for Smith and a handful of others who never made a dent in the M’s roster."

There's that.  But that doesn't make Dipoto's tenure "dismal".

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 10:52:01 am »
There's that.  But that doesn't make Dipoto's tenure "dismal".
Yeah not really dismal yet. I thought him getting Segura and Hanigar for Matre and Walker worked out well.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 11:19:34 am »
I am skeptical. Latin players are not smart enough to be catchers? Really? Look around.

Either she's mistaken/misremembering/lying, or the accused are racist SOBs.

Either way,  the title of the thread sums it up.   

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 11:47:35 am »
I know fuckall about specific attitudes in the Seattle front office. But I'd love someone in any front office to offer an explanation for the continuing lack of American-born black catchers in MLB. I hope a good writer takes this opportunity to do a piece on that.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 12:09:19 pm »
I know fuckall about specific attitudes in the Seattle front office. But I'd love someone in any front office to offer an explanation for the continuing lack of American-born black catchers in MLB. I hope a good writer takes this opportunity to do a piece on that.

For starters, there are fewer American-born black MLB players than there was 40 years ago it seems to me.
I grew up watching Elston Howard and  John Roseboro and they were main-stays of two of the better clubs in MLs in the '60's. Of course Campanella was a '50s star in Brooklyn prior to his tragic accident. I'd be interested in some names I am forgetting.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 12:24:30 pm »

How many American born black kids even play baseball these days? I'm 27, in my 4 years playing high school baseball, I had 1 black teammate. The football team and basketball teams were both around 50/50. Only 1 other guy even tried out and he was very bad. The teams I played against, from what i remember never had more than 2 or 3 black players.

I don't think it's MLB not wanting to have black catchers and moreso that very few black guys play baseball and very very few that do choose catcher.

Hell, most white players don't want to catch. Out of every 10 baseball players, I'd say only 1 would actively want to catch. So it stands to reason that if 1 out of 10 are black and 1 of 10 wants to catch, then what are the odds of the black kid being the one who wants to catch? Not high.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 12:25:51 pm »
For starters, there are fewer American-born black MLB players than there was 40 years ago it seems to me.
I grew up watching Elston Howard and  John Roseboro and they were main-stays of two of the better clubs in MLs in the '60's. Of course Campanella was a '50s star in Brooklyn prior to his tragic accident. I'd be interested in some names I am forgetting.
The last I remember was Charles Johnson over 10 years ago. I'm probably overlooking someone.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 12:42:01 pm »

How many American born black kids even play baseball these days? I'm 27, in my 4 years playing high school baseball, I had 1 black teammate. The football team and basketball teams were both around 50/50. Only 1 other guy even tried out and he was very bad. The teams I played against, from what i remember never had more than 2 or 3 black players.

I don't think it's MLB not wanting to have black catchers and moreso that very few black guys play baseball and very very few that do choose catcher.

Hell, most white players don't want to catch. Out of every 10 baseball players, I'd say only 1 would actively want to catch. So it stands to reason that if 1 out of 10 are black and 1 of 10 wants to catch, then what are the odds of the black kid being the one who wants to catch? Not high.

Exactly right. Not that many white kids want to catch. The HS studs are P/SS.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 08:29:42 pm »
Exactly right. Not that many white kids want to catch. The HS studs are P/SS.

Catching is hard. It's a quick path for advancement if you're good at it, but its a rough position.  And it's not as glamorous as P/SS.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 11:46:28 pm »
Catching is hard. It's a quick path for advancement if you're good at it, but its a rough position.  And it's not as glamorous as P/SS.

Shortstops get to swan around sweeping the dirt with their cleats in between pitches while catchers have to deal with the pitcher, deal with the manager, deal with the umpire, all of whom are one or the other or some combination of stupid and crazy, and they need keep the defense alert and aligned properly, all while maintaining some continuing idea of what's going on in the game on a micro and a macro level. At the same time the guy in left field is mostly occupied with observing the bee alighting on the flowers in the clover unless he's trying to remember when he next comes up to bat.

Yeah, it's no wonder that teams don't typically see kids fighting over the catcher's mitt.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 07:33:00 am »
The last I remember was Charles Johnson over 10 years ago. I'm probably overlooking someone.
Only if you count Russell Martin. Maybe Chuckie Robinson has a shot to make it.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 08:09:49 am »

Agreed

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 08:45:03 am »
Agreed

Catching was the only position I did not play at some point in my youth baseball. Which worked out because I didn't want to play it. I remember one of my coaches begging for volunteers.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 08:46:53 am »
Catching was the only position I did not play at some point in my youth baseball. Which worked out because I didn't want to play it.
I caught 2 innings freshman year and said "yeah, fuck that, never again"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 09:45:56 am »
Catching was the only position I did not play at some point in my youth baseball. Which worked out because I didn't want to play it. I remember one of my coaches begging for volunteers.

I caught BP in LL once and got hit 4 times with foul tips. That was the end of my catching career.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 11:12:38 am »

I had to catch for the first couple years of little league simply because the coach couldn't pass up having a catcher named Bench. It too two years of me begging to be moved to second base before he relented.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 11:29:56 am »
Last spring my son's little league team needed someone to squat behind the plate during practice.  "No problem" I thought.  I volunteered.

It was terrible.  Experienced catchers make it look so easy.

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 01:07:01 pm »
My catching career consisted of this...

I come in as a freshman in high school ball. A speedy center fielder. Coach being a jokester called my name to warm up one of our Sr starters in the bullpen.  Yes sir, and I grab my glove. Well the senior could hit the low 90's, which was much faster than what I was used to as a freshman.  The result was fear.  Thankfully no blood.  Did I mention I wasn't wearing a cup?

Put me in coach, put please let it be center field

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 04:58:33 am »

It's no accident that the catching equipment is referred to as the tools of ignorance. Despite my size, I caught when I was a young player and liked it. However, and in addition to the other excellent points made above, catching becomes incredibly harder when the ball starts moving, which I recall happened first for me as a catcher at 12 in 1972. I had an opportunity to play catch with then Alexandria Ace Randy Johnson, who many of you will remember as a diminutive (about 5'8") portsider who was a groundball machine.

Jones pitched for the Padres and Pirates as I recall, and I believe Jones won 20 games twice and lost 20 games once. His fastball topped out in Alexandria at 79. His sinker ball was thrown around 74. However, after taking the goadings of a cocky, excited 12 year old bat boy to throw the sinker, he finally relented and threw it. I got hit in the legs with the first four that he threw, but hung in there and caught the fifth toss. That ball moved downward late a good 8-12 inches. It was a really good sinker, as I would learn later. I caught all the way through, but only as the emergency catcher and sometimes bullpen catcher.

The slider is a particular bitch of a pitch to catch.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 02:02:01 am »
My knee(s) just couldn't handle it.  Not sure how guys do it.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"