Author Topic: ACLS Game 5: Red Sox at Astros, October 18 2018  (Read 3730 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: ACLS Game 5: Red Sox at Astros, October 18 2018
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2018, 10:51:52 pm »
Royals, I mean Red Sox didn’t take the bait.

Oh the took the bait...then ripped the fucking rod right out of the Astros hands.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

The Spleen

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2018, 10:53:03 pm »
Made the Astros their bitch.

God how I hate the fucking trolling and bragging before you’ve accomplished shit.

This makes me more than disappointed about this year (like I would be if they'd lost a tough Game 7 in Boston).
This makes me very nervous about next year.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2018, 10:54:04 pm »
Made the Astros their bitch.

God how I hate the fucking trolling and bragging before you’ve accomplished shit.

Same here.

Dunno if this will serve as any kind of lesson.  Once they started pitching to him,  Bregman came close but ultimately didn't deliver.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2018, 10:54:51 pm »
This makes me more than disappointed about this year (like I would be if they'd lost a tough Game 7 in Boston).

Karma is a bitch. I’ll get over it, but it irritates me to no end.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2018, 10:55:40 pm »

Roster/rotation questions should make you nervous.

But I expect the Astros to be competing for the division again.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 18, 2018, 10:56:41 pm »

I’m looking forward to not watching Keuchel in an Astros uniform again.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 18, 2018, 11:00:15 pm »
I’m looking forward to not watching Keuchel in an Astros uniform again.

I really appreciate him for his accomplishments and for being a big part of their return to relevance.

But good grief he became freaking exhausting to watch.

moriartp

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 18, 2018, 11:10:53 pm »
Despite the shitty end, this was a really good team and a really good season overall. Here's to more good seasons. And to all of you.

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 18, 2018, 11:12:58 pm »

They'll have Cole, Verlander, Altuve, Bregman and Springer. A great foundation, but everything past that is a giant question mark.
You can't count on Correa. No knock on him. It would be the same for any athlete coming off a serious back injury.
Will Gurriel be better next year with his wrist fully healed? But he... and Reddick... is at an age where, as a very good but not great player, bad things start to happen.
Catcher? Machete is a solid backup, but McCann may be at the end of the trail.
White will likely be a nice bench player, but is he a starting DH? What does Gattis have left?
McCullers and Morton are very good, but will they be healthy?
And the bullpen is still a raging tire fire, even after all the tinkering. There are enough live arms in the system that they could probably spend the first half of next year auditioning for bullpen spots (and 5th starter) and work something out. Well, if the division was as weak as it was in 2017. But the A's aren't going to let that happen...

If everything breaks right, or if they go out and have a big offseason they could win 100 again. If not they may be struggling for a wildcard spot.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 18, 2018, 11:14:59 pm »
Handshakes/High 5s to OWA.

This place makes it all better.
This.

Glad I got to see the game live tonight, but sorry the Astro bats forgot to show up.
Up in the Air

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 19, 2018, 10:51:20 am »
They'll have Cole, Verlander, Altuve, Bregman and Springer. A great foundation, but everything past that is a giant question mark.
You can't count on Correa. No knock on him. It would be the same for any athlete coming off a serious back injury.
Will Gurriel be better next year with his wrist fully healed? But he... and Reddick... is at an age where, as a very good but not great player, bad things start to happen.
Catcher? Machete is a solid backup, but McCann may be at the end of the trail.
White will likely be a nice bench player, but is he a starting DH? What does Gattis have left?
McCullers and Morton are very good, but will they be healthy?
And the bullpen is still a raging tire fire, even after all the tinkering. There are enough live arms in the system that they could probably spend the first half of next year auditioning for bullpen spots (and 5th starter) and work something out. Well, if the division was as weak as it was in 2017. But the A's aren't going to let that happen...

If everything breaks right, or if they go out and have a big offseason they could win 100 again. If not they may be struggling for a wildcard spot.

These are good points but I see the glass as more than half full.  I don't think the bullpen has been a raging tire fire.

I do worry about Gurriel/Reddick, catcher, and the other issues.  The big question mark will be Correa and whether the next round of young stars (Tucker, Whitley, James, etc.) can step up.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 19, 2018, 10:33:07 pm »

The Astros have plenty of starting pitching options. They could make McHugh and Peacock starters again, or see if James and Valdez can build off their strong 2018 campaigns in spring training.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2018, 03:21:24 pm »
The Astros have plenty of starting pitching options. They could make McHugh and Peacock starters again, or see if James and Valdez can build off their strong 2018 campaigns in spring training.

In my mind James is already in the rotation.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 20, 2018, 09:59:45 pm »
In my mind James is already in the rotation.
Sounds like the way Derek Fisher runs the bases.
Up in the Air

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 21, 2018, 06:03:44 pm »
Sounds like the way Derek Fisher runs the bases.

In my heart,  the Astros are in the WS.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 21, 2018, 07:03:36 pm »
As far as I am concerned, the Astros became World Champions in perpetuity last year.
E come vivo? Vivo.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2018, 02:00:12 pm »
Same here.

Dunno if this will serve as any kind of lesson.  Once they started pitching to him,  Bregman came close but ultimately didn't deliver.

BBGs at work.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.