Author Topic: Arb-Eligible Players 2018  (Read 4654 times)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Arb-Eligible Players 2018
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2019, 07:51:48 pm »
Just updating...

Gerrit Cole – $13.1MM   ($13.5MM vs $11.425MM)
Roberto Osuna – $6.5MM  Actual: $6.5MM 
Collin McHugh – $5.4MM  Actual: $5.8MM 
Carlos Correa – $5.1MM    Actual: $5MM
Lance McCullers – $4.6MM   Actual: $4.1MM
Will Harris – $3.6MM  Actual: $4.2MM
Ryan Pressly – $3.1MM   Actual: $2.9MM
Brad Peacock – $2.9MM   Actual: $3.1MM
Jake Marisnick – $2.4MM   Actual: $2.2MM
Chris Devenski – $1.4MM   Actual: $1.525MM

MLBTR 2019 estimate vs 2019 agreed salary (or exchanged figures)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2019, 05:50:41 pm »
Gerrit Cole's hearing is scheduled for next Monday.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2019, 06:44:02 pm »
Gerrit Cole's hearing is scheduled for next Monday.

When is the announcement of Cole's win expected?

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2019, 01:37:45 pm »
When is the announcement of Cole's win expected?

Today, apparently. He gets his $13.5 million.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2019, 02:14:51 pm »
And then there were none...

Gerrit Cole – $13.1MM    Actual: $13.5MM
Roberto Osuna – $6.5MM  Actual: $6.5MM 
Collin McHugh – $5.4MM  Actual: $5.8MM 
Carlos Correa – $5.1MM    Actual: $5MM
Lance McCullers – $4.6MM   Actual: $4.1MM
Will Harris – $3.6MM  Actual: $4.2MM
Ryan Pressly – $3.1MM   Actual: $2.9MM
Brad Peacock – $2.9MM   Actual: $3.1MM
Jake Marisnick – $2.4MM   Actual: $2.2MM
Chris Devenski – $1.4MM   Actual: $1.525MM

Total of arb salaries: $48.8MM.

And props to the guy who does the MLBTR estimates--just $700K off with his total projection of $48.1MM.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2019, 02:22:40 pm »
(Updated/Final)

Astros' arb cases under Luhnow/Crane:

2012 (0)
2013 (0)
2014 (0)
2015 (0)
2016 (1)
  -Castro (5MM vs 5.25MM)  Astros Won
2017 (1)
  -McHugh (3.35MM vs 3.85MM)  Astros Lost
2018 (2)
  -McHugh (4.55MM vs 5MM) Astros Lost
  -Giles (4.2MM vs 4.6MM)  Astros Lost
2019 (2)
  -Correa ($5MM vs $4.25MM) Astros Lost
  -Cole ($13.5MM vs $11.425MM) Astros Lost

Not a particularly winning strategy for the Astros to date with net losses of $3.9MM (not taking into account any ancillary expenses).

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2019, 05:40:20 am »
(Updated/Final)

Astros' arb cases under Luhnow/Crane:

2012 (0)
2013 (0)
2014 (0)
2015 (0)
2016 (1)
  -Castro (5MM vs 5.25MM)  Astros Won
2017 (1)
  -McHugh (3.35MM vs 3.85MM)  Astros Lost
2018 (2)
  -McHugh (4.55MM vs 5MM) Astros Lost
  -Giles (4.2MM vs 4.6MM)  Astros Lost
2019 (2)
  -Correa ($5MM vs $4.25MM) Astros Lost
  -Cole ($13.5MM vs $11.425MM) Astros Lost

Not a particularly winning strategy for the Astros to date with net losses of $3.9MM (not taking into account any ancillary expenses).

I am staring to think winning these hearings is less important to Luhnow than following his plan. Part of the plan is determining what the players are worth budgetwise and offering only that amount. The club will consider a reasonable compromise to a number within the plan and go to a hearing if the player is not interested in the compromise number. The club puts on its best case in a businesslike professional manner without getting personal or denigrating the player’s efforts or contributions to the organization, and if the arbitrator rules for the player, so be it. Luhnow stuck to the plan without emotion or rancor, and the club did not piss off the player. Going to a hearing is merely a business decision based on an impersonal evaluation of monetary value, and win or lose, the decision is not a personal attack on the player or his accomplishments and contributions to the team and its season.

All of this stuff exists only in my head, of course, but I starting thinking this might be Luhnow’s approach when Correa complimented management on its professionalism after his hearing.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:51:24 am by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2019, 07:03:00 am »
I am staring to think winning these hearings is less important to Luhnow than following his plan. Part of the plan is determining what the players are worth budgetwise and offering only that amount. The club will consider a reasonable compromise to a number within the plan and go to a hearing if the player is not interested in the compromise number. The club puts on its best case in a businesslike professional manner without getting personal or denigrating the player’s efforts or contributions to the organization, and if the arbitrator rules for the player, so be it. Luhnow stuck to the plan without emotion or rancor, and the club did not piss off the player. Going to a hearing is merely a business decision based on an impersonal evaluation of monetary value, and win or lose, the decision is not a personal attack on the player or his accomplishments and contributions to the team and its season.

All of this stuff exists only in my head, of course, but I starting thinking this might be Luhnow’s approach when Correa complimented management on its professionalism after his hearing.

As a fan, it is difficult, dare i say almost impossible, to separate emotion from decisions like this.  I am glad Front Office types can do it.  I get the feeling Luhnow is pretty good at balancing the relational and the business.  With the exception of Bud Norris, I haven't heard much bad talk about the Astros dealings with players.   
Always ready to go to a game.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2019, 07:49:03 am »

I couldn't agree more. With Luhnow, it's about process.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2019, 08:05:46 am »

Rather my thoughts as well.
I know it is not my money, but the differences in the cases is not a large difference.  So, it may be better to go through the process without being too adversarial and ruining future contract negotiations.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Arb-Eligible Players 2018
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2019, 09:05:27 am »

I think you are right Jim, but I also get the feeling that the way Luhnow and Astros appear to handle this process, may be the exception. If that is true, hats off to them (if it benefits in the long run), even though it may cost the team a few more dollars due to losses for being less aggressive in the hearings. The ex GM’s and players I hear talk about this process, all say it is VERY unpleasant and should be avoided. Correa may be the first player I’ve ever heard make those kinds of comments about an arb hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2019, 09:29:03 am »
Well put,  Jim.

They're sticking to their plan,  and to their credit animosity has been negligible.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2019, 11:14:58 am »
To the contrary, Bauer said that the arbitration hearing was fine until the last ten minutes which he described as “character assassination.”  He’s a fairly precious guy but if I were an employer I would work hard to avoid instilling such feelings. Credit to the Astros for being professional.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2019, 11:34:22 am »
To the contrary, Bauer said that the arbitration hearing was fine until the last ten minutes which he described as “character assassination.”  He’s a fairly precious guy but if I were an employer I would work hard to avoid instilling such feelings. Credit to the Astros for being professional.

That implies that he has character to assassinate.  Lighten up, Tyler.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2019, 11:43:32 am »
That implies that he has character to assassinate.  Lighten up, Tyler.

Don't you mean Trevor?
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:09 am »
Don't you mean Trevor?

Don’t you remember Bregman’s tweet?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

TeeJoe

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2019, 12:41:23 pm »

The article I read about it went to describe Bauer sending a personal formal invite to the team President and GM.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/trevor-bauer-accuses-indians-of-character-assassination-in-arbitration-hearing/ar-BBTAAsh?li=BBnb7Kz
“I sent them a nice 'Plus One' invite, a postcard, designed it all myself," Bauer said. “It said, “You are formally invited to the attend the arbitration hearing between Trevor Bauer and the Cleveland Indians. The date, the location, you and plus-one, the whole deal. And they decided not to come."

I guess he wanted the whole process to stay professional and such. Very professional of Tyler to add the plus one!

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2019, 01:41:04 pm »
What a fucking nut.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2019, 02:08:57 pm »
I am legitimately interested to see how his “I’ll never sign a multi-year deal” plan works out. He could do pretty well for himself if his arm doesn’t fall off.

TeeJoe

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2019, 03:40:02 pm »
Here's an article that clears up the reference to giving to charity and being a terrible human being...Originally I had no idea what that was about.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/trevor-bauer-accuses-indians-character-assassination-salary-arbitration-hearing-183648896.html

The guy is wackadoodle...