Author Topic: ALDS  (Read 1812 times)

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: ALDS
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2018, 10:35:50 pm »
Bosox win it.

Should be Sale/Verlander Saturday night.

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39:29 pm »
Bosox win it.

Should be Sale/Verlander Saturday night.

FTRS

Aussie Astro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2018, 10:40:30 pm »
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2018, 10:48:00 pm »
Fuck both of them.

Yup. It would have been FTY also.

This series is going to be very difficult.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2018, 07:44:28 am »
Yup. It would have been FTY also.

This series is going to be very difficult.

Probably, but I would rather play in Fenway than Yankee Stadium. Postseason games are supposed to be difficult.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2018, 07:56:26 am »
Clevinger is making Bauer seem like the lesser prick.

They're still shitty
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2018, 10:01:01 am »
Probably, but I would rather play in Fenway than Yankee Stadium. Postseason games are supposed to be difficult.

I think the Astros match up better against the Red Sox, in addition to always being glad to see the Yankees eliminated.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2018, 10:17:58 am »
I think the Astros match up better against the Red Sox, in addition to always being glad to see the Yankees eliminated.

The Red Sox are plainly a better overall team than the Yankees. The Astros and the Red Sox are plainly the two best teams in the league, and likely in baseball.

The Astros are better than Cleveland, and things broke in the Astros' way during the series, but Cleveland is a very, very good team, perfectly capable of beating New York or Boston in a series of any length, and to act like it was a matter of routine for the Astros to show up and stomp the shit out of them both does Cleveland a disservice and probably fails to appreciate just how good the Astros can be.
The bitch keeps bitching, snitcher keeps snitching
Dropping names and telephone numbers and all

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2018, 10:38:09 am »
to act like it was a matter of routine for the Astros to show up and stomp the shit out of them both does Cleveland a disservice and probably fails to appreciate just how good the Astros can be.

Cleveland has two of the top-5 hitters in baseball, 4 200+ K starting pitchers, and a very good supporting cast.  The fact that the Astros ran through them was a remarkable feat.   
Boom!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2018, 11:02:09 am »
The Red Sox are plainly a better overall team than the Yankees. The Astros and the Red Sox are plainly the two best teams in the league, and likely in baseball.

The Astros are better than Cleveland, and things broke in the Astros' way during the series, but Cleveland is a very, very good team, perfectly capable of beating New York or Boston in a series of any length, and to act like it was a matter of routine for the Astros to show up and stomp the shit out of them both does Cleveland a disservice and probably fails to appreciate just how good the Astros can be.

This.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2018, 11:38:22 am »

Also even though it seemed lopsided in the end, those were all close games.  Game 1 was neck and neck through the 7th inning stretch.  Game 2 was a 2 run game.  The Indians led Game 3 for most of the game and it took a swinging bunt and Bauer's throwing error on a sure double play to open up the game.  The Astros of course won decisively, but the notion that it was a cake walk or the Indians to put up much of fight is ludicrous. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2018, 11:47:13 am »
Also even though it seemed lopsided in the end, those were all close games.  Game 1 was neck and neck through the 7th inning stretch.  Game 2 was a 2 run game.  The Indians led Game 3 for most of the game and it took a swinging bunt and Bauer's throwing error on a sure double play to open up the game.  The Astros of course won decisively, but the notion that it was a cake walk or the Indians to put up much of fight is ludicrous.

They led Game 2 until Marwin’s double off Miller in the 6th. We dominated them overall statistically, but our runs came late.

Kit

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2018, 12:17:44 pm »

Agreed, Stros beat a damn good team ! Whats so fun for me is all the "little" things we seem to do better than most. We were pretty well evenly matched, but our defense is hard to beat (especially in OF) . And overall team speed and our base running are just about tops. This really hit home for me in game 2 with Melky boxing it around in the RF corner and Bregman cutting the bases perfectly and scoring by a hair. 
Remember Jesus Alou being called out of the 1st base coaching box to pinch-hit a double vs. the Reds in '79 I think, to win a crucial game, and he patted Morgan on top of the head (ala Benny Hill w/the little bald guy) and Little Joe got pissed.....yeah,that was great.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2018, 12:23:06 pm »
They led Game 2 until Marwin’s double off Miller in the 6th. We dominated them overall statistically, but our runs came late.

IMO, in hindsight, removing Carrasco was the big mistake.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2018, 03:43:57 pm »

Managers keep making that mistake against the Astros - Roberts did it all the time in the WS last year while Hinch just let the hot hand go if and until it cooled off.  It's the American League!  How hard can it be?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2018, 01:50:16 am »
What does Marwin do against him the 3rd time?  At that point he was the only one who had good swings on CC.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2018, 07:35:12 am »

At the time, bringing in Miller was the absolute right move. They turned Marwin around to his weaker side, and he had almo no previous success against Miller-6Ks in 8 ABs. Hindsight never loses.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2018, 07:27:01 pm »
At the time, bringing in Miller was the absolute right move. They turned Marwin around to his weaker side, and he had almo no previous success against Miller-6Ks in 8 ABs. Hindsight never loses.

This year's Miller was not nearly the force that the '16 and '17 Miller was. Although I don't think Francona was wrong to do what he did, I'll bet he was plenty nervous about it.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2018, 10:38:23 pm »

Absolutely. Tito is being criticized a little for that move, which I find unfair and disingenuous. Suppose that he hadn't turned Marwin around, and Marwin hit the ball out of the yard, the critics and monday morning quarterbacks would have jumped on him for that.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2018, 12:59:00 am »
Absolutely. Tito is being criticized a little for that move, which I find unfair and disingenuous. Suppose that he hadn't turned Marwin around, and Marwin hit the ball out of the yard, the critics and monday morning quarterbacks would have jumped on him for that.
The Joy's of being an MLB manager. If you make the right move, the player gets all the credit for getting the job done. If you make the wrong move(even if it was the right move that just didnt work), then you are an incompetent jackass who shouldn't have a job. Not an easy gig

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk