Author Topic: Youth baseball bat  (Read 1454 times)

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Youth baseball bat
« on: September 28, 2018, 03:39:20 pm »
Buying a bat for a 9 year old. Found useful stuff online on how to select proper size.
Any recommendations on brands?
Where the fuck is Toro?

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Re: Youth baseball bat
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 09:43:06 am »
Is it Little League, Pony or another? Little League needs to be an approved USABaseball bat. I'm not sure about the others.

Last year was the 1st year using the new USA bats.  1st off the new standard bats are more expensive on whole. Secondly the ball reacts off the bats much slower.  It is noticeable. Not a negative, but I also noticed the usual aluminum bat ping sounds more like a wood bat crack on most bats now.

Last year, the first bat we tried was an Easton Hyperlite.  If the ball was not hit squarely in the sweet spot it would ring his hands. I tried the bat myself and it wasn't just him. Actually during the season several of the kids on his team had bats that rang their hands.  Talking to other coaches and reading online, it's a common problem with the new standard. Before buying a bat read the reviews. (JustBats...etc...)

I bought him DeMarini Voodoo and it was much better.  Kid on his team had a Louisville Slugger Solo that was a really good bat, just too heavy for my son. 

Good luck and hope y'all have a great season.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:45:14 am by TeeJoe »

MikeyBoy

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:27:22 am »
Two main things to look for in a bat at that age are composite vs. alloy and end loaded vs. balanced. Composite will give him a bigger barrel/sweet spot, but are more expensive than alloy. Depending on the size of your son and his swing, you may want to start him with a balance weighted bat vs. an end loaded. Big, strong kids handle end loaded bats better, so at 9 most kids swing a balanced bat better (IMO). The end weight can create bad habits at an age when they're trying to develop a good consistent swing. Louisville has a cool weight chart on their bats that shows the balance vs. end load.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 10:44:54 am »
Thank you both so much! Bought him an easton model that is probably the right length and weight at academy Friday just so he can have something to practice with but will use the expertise (and bats)of his coaches and team to find bat 2.0. Most of the kids have been playing for years but he really loves it and is catching up fast. Had no idea how complicated finding a good bat can be. Thanks for your help. Appreciate the great advice.
Where the fuck is Toro?