Author Topic: Watch your ceiling, AussieAstro!  (Read 3851 times)

Tom Servo

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
Re: Watch your ceiling, AussieAstro!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:55:37 pm »
https://news.avclub.com/new-terrible-fact-sometimes-there-are-angry-snakes-in-1828968047

Thanks mate, I was wondering what that damn noise was...

Funny thing is, despite what you see on National Geographic, we are in a pretty safe part of the world.  I like the docos they make about something that could kill someone (in theory) but no one can actually remember last time it happened.  I worry a lot more about the snakes in suits who live in Canberra.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 04:48:36 am »
Thanks mate, I was wondering what that damn noise was...

Funny thing is, despite what you see on National Geographic, we are in a pretty safe part of the world.  I like the docos they make about something that could kill someone (in theory) but no one can actually remember last time it happened.  I worry a lot more about the snakes in suits who live in Canberra.

Yeah, my impression has always been how deadly it can be there.  I guess it's overblown, huh?  But I can't imagine snakes just dropping from my ceiling.  I'd have a heart attack.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 07:38:07 am »
Yeah, my impression has always been how deadly it can be there.  I guess it's overblown, huh?  But I can't imagine snakes just dropping from my ceiling.  I'd have a heart attack.

In Indonesia, they have what they call "flying snakes".  I've never seen one, but apparently it's not uncommon for them to show up in peoples' houses.  I saw a cobra in the wild once.  It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.  Mosquitoes are far more dangerous.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 09:56:56 am »
In Indonesia, they have what they call "flying snakes".  I've never seen one, but apparently it's not uncommon for them to show up in peoples' houses.  I saw a cobra in the wild once.  It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.  Mosquitoes are far more dangerous.

I saw a shark whilst scuba diving, and it was cool rather than scary.  Just proves your imagination is the scariest thing in the world.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 10:40:55 am »
I saw a shark whilst scuba diving, and it was cool rather than scary.  Just proves your imagination is the scariest thing in the world.

You were spared because sharks have a sixth sense for vegetarians.

"Nope, that guy wouldn't taste good at all."
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 10:42:36 am »
You were spared because sharks have a sixth sense for vegetarians.

"Nope, that guy wouldn't taste good at all."

See apocalypse, zombie.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 11:25:46 am »
Grass fed long pig? Might not be bad.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 07:07:48 pm »

Reminds me of the old joke about a lion sitting in the jungle licking its arse... being a pom I guess you have heard that one a few times?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 01:57:59 pm »
Reminds me of the old joke about a lion sitting in the jungle licking its arse... being a pom I guess you have heard that one a few times?

I'm not sure I know that one.

There are shark and lion variations of the same joke: the shark version revolving around the reason to carry a diving knife; it's not to fight off a shark, it's to stab your dive buddy and then swim away.  The lion version revolves around putting on running shoes when confronted by a lion; "You'll never outrun a lion even with those on," says one bloke.  "I don't have to outrun the lion," says the other.  "I just have to outrun you!"

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 01:49:55 pm »
Limey's a vegetarian?

I *have* been gone a long time.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 02:05:38 pm »
Limey's a vegetarian?

I *have* been gone a long time.

Well over a year now. 

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 11:16:02 pm »
So, I had my first great white experience on Christmas day (we actually call them white pointers),  I was out checking craypots and a 3 meter specimen came and checked us out.  It hung around for about 5 minutes and wandered off in its own good time.  We were about 3.5 nautical miles off shore and I have jumped into the water a few times out there for a variety of reasons but I swear I will never do that again! 

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 06:48:29 am »
So, I had my first great white experience on Christmas day (we actually call them white pointers),  I was out checking craypots and a 3 meter specimen came and checked us out.  It hung around for about 5 minutes and wandered off in its own good time.  We were about 3.5 nautical miles off shore and I have jumped into the water a few times out there for a variety of reasons but I swear I will never do that again!
Wow! Any photos?
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 08:15:23 am »

I used to work on the insurance program for Woodside, who had an interest in fields in offshore Western Australia, including the North Rankin field.  We got a safety report for insurers and in it was described the rationale for cancelling man overboard drills.  It seems that the dummies they would throw off the platform and then pretend to rescue were ripped apart by sharks within seconds of hitting the water.  That was not good news.  Was was good news was that insurers didn't have to worry about workers on the platform using their safety harnesses and holding the handrails.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 10:37:07 am »
Whoa.

Reminds me of Peter Benchley's lone encounter with Great White while scuba diving.   He said he and the shark looked at each other,  then they both evacuated their bowels,  then the shark swam off.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 10:52:08 am »
Whoa.

Reminds me of Peter Benchley's lone encounter with Great White while scuba diving.   He said he and the shark looked at each other,  then they both evacuated their bowels,  then the shark swam off.

Peter Stenchley?

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 03:40:00 pm »
Wow! Any photos?

No sir, I got nothing.  I have gone out without my phone a few times lately and that is probably pretty dumb for a number of reasons anyway.  When the excitement died down and we were heading in, I remembered I had a water wolf underwater camera in the boat but at the time all I could think of was my phone.  What a fuckin’ dummy, and my deckie was my 15 yo nephew who must be the only teenager in the world who is not attached to his phone 24 hours a day.  Maybe we will get another opportunity…

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 04:09:22 pm »
I used to work on the insurance program for Woodside, who had an interest in fields in offshore Western Australia, including the North Rankin field.  We got a safety report for insurers and in it was described the rationale for cancelling man overboard drills.  It seems that the dummies they would throw off the platform and then pretend to rescue were ripped apart by sharks within seconds of hitting the water.  That was not good news.  Was was good news was that insurers didn't have to worry about workers on the platform using their safety harnesses and holding the handrails.

Well if you run out of dummies, you could  always use a cubs fan.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 12:38:00 am »
Well if you run out of dummies, you could  always use a cubs fan.

"Gross." - Great White Sharks, probably.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das