Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 3307 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 12:21:47 pm »
I'm enjoying this recommendation very much! Thanks for the heads up on this one. I like the Food Channel's "You're eating this wrong" show so this was a good podcast for me to follow. Downloaded it to iTunes and got into it right away. BTW - the podcast on "Other People's Food" is very good. Kicking off with Chef Bayless and his "White Chef, Mexican Food" was the hook for me.

I like Chef Bayless.  Just don't invite his brother to the dinner table.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 01:17:20 pm »
I'm enjoying this recommendation very much! Thanks for the heads up on this one. I like the Food Channel's "You're eating this wrong" show so this was a good podcast for me to follow. Downloaded it to iTunes and got into it right away. BTW - the podcast on "Other People's Food" is very good. Kicking off with Chef Bayless and his "White Chef, Mexican Food" was the hook for me.

I'm so glad to hear it! The Bayless episode was very interesting. I've actually gone back and re-listened to the Aleppo Sandwich series because it was so moving.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 03:09:46 pm »
The Dropout is a very good telling of the Elizabeth Holmes & Theranos saga.

If you are having college football withdrawal, Mo Rocca's Mobituary Podcast on the Auburn/Alabama rivalry (Death of a tree: Roots of a rivalry) is outstanding. Fully captures the craziness on both sides.

Always ready to go to a game.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 04:07:09 pm »
The Dropout is a very good telling of the Elizabeth Holmes & Theranos saga.

I'm starting this one immediately, thank you. That story fascinates me.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 04:32:11 pm »
I thought the book was the best of last year. Are these podcasts/documentaries adding new information?

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2019, 07:45:08 pm »
I thought the book was the best of last year. Are these podcasts/documentaries adding new information?
Not read the book or seen the documentary but the array of people they interviewed was impressive. 

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 02:10:38 pm »
I know nothing about this woman's story.  Y'alls interest intrigued me, so I looked her up and see she's a scam artist, and her father was at Enron.  Are these related and addressed in the podcast?  Seems like a fascinating coincidence.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 02:34:28 pm »
So a vote for the podcast, a vote for the book and I'll toss in a vote for the doc.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2019, 07:24:29 pm »
I know nothing about this woman's story.  Y'alls interest intrigued me, so I looked her up and see she's a scam artist, and her father was at Enron.  Are these related and addressed in the podcast?  Seems like a fascinating coincidence.

Yes her background is covered.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2019, 07:15:46 am »
The Enron connection is stupid - her dad wasn’t Skilling or Fastow; they had 30,000 employees.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2019, 07:58:54 am »
In trying to get in the head of someone or explain their actions, it's never stupid to know their background.  But you're right in that I know nothing about her father's role or ethical behavior and what sort of morality was transmitted down to her from her parents.  I'm not too high on coincidences however, and would never leave a fact like that unexplored.

Anyways, I listened to the first two podcasts and watched the doc last night.  I'm more interested in the psychology of the easily scammed, the hard to scam and those inbetween than in the psychology of the scammers.  Regarding her, the doc enables the viewer to be much more charitable to her than the podcast does.  Neither really gets into her background much, like she appears on stage without a backstory.  No scriptwriter could get away with that. Is she crazy, malicious, longing to fulfill some childhood need, confront a trauma or something else.  I haven't heard anything from her family or friends (did she have any).  I suppose that greatly contributes to the mystery.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2019, 09:25:59 am »
Is she crazy, malicious, longing to fulfill some childhood need, confront a trauma or something else. 

She dresses only in black, consumes her nutrients primarily in liquid form, and has a dog that is her spirit animal that must accompany her everywhere.

She's also a pathological liar.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2019, 10:04:59 am »
She was in my class at Stanford - I don't know anyone who knew her (I guess she mostly spent her time inventing fake shit then dropping out after a year). Because I'm petty, I felt better after her net worth was revalued from youngest self-made female billionaire to zero; now there's only one billionaire left from my class to make me feel like a loser.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2019, 10:25:06 am »
Every tech/science/R&D manager hypes everything they do all the time 24/7 even though most of it is obviously not going to work because its the way you attract resources and talent. Elizabeth Holmes and her investors (like all tech managers) probably had in the back in their mind that once the investment money really started to flow the very smart people she had working for them would figure something out, they just had to keep the hype going until they reached that point. However, her and her ridiculous boyfriend were so incompetent that they screwed up everything before the big money came in.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2019, 10:30:40 am »
She dresses only in black, consumes her nutrients primarily in liquid form, and has a dog that is her spirit animal that must accompany her everywhere.

She's also a pathological liar.

You forgot to mention the crazy eyes.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 12:04:39 pm »
In some of the later episodes to do talk to some classmates from high school but just that she wasn't that remarkable of a figure in HS and that the voice doesn't match her voice in high school.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 02:59:05 pm »
Every tech/science/R&D manager hypes everything they do all the time 24/7 even though most of it is obviously not going to work because its the way you attract resources and talent. Elizabeth Holmes and her investors (like all tech managers) probably had in the back in their mind that once the investment money really started to flow the very smart people she had working for them would figure something out, they just had to keep the hype going until they reached that point. However, her and her ridiculous boyfriend were so incompetent that they screwed up everything before the big money came in.
I haven't heard the Podcasts yet, but it sounds like you're saying that she's not a fraud but a failure. I'm gonna start listening now.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 03:01:15 pm »
At some point it definitely transitioned to fraud.
  -  Orson Welles

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 03:07:05 pm »
They were clearly working on something and they clearly thought it would work some day. But they represented that it was working at the time.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 04:40:46 pm »
I haven't heard the Podcasts yet, but it sounds like you're saying that she's not a fraud but a failure. I'm gonna start listening now.

She both failed and committed fraud in the process.