Author Topic: Harper  (Read 4295 times)

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Harper
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:14:26 am »
The Nationals are 7 games out of the division and 6 games out of the WC (with multiple teams ahead of them).

If they continue to slide, might they be incentivized to trade Harper before the deadline?

What would you be willing to give up to get a couple of months of Harper? 
Boom!

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Harper
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 11:18:55 am »
I would not give up much of anything for Bryce Harper. In my opinion, he is the most overrated player in the game. He has done nothing so far to warrant the money he thinks he’s worth. Only hit 30 home runs once and has never had 100 RBI. The team that gives him anything close to what the talk is, is a fool. Altuve is much closer to 350-400 million dollars player than Harper is.

I could name you at least one outfielder off of every team in the league that I would rather have before I took him. I guess I would give you someone like Derek Fisher for him straight up, but I would have to think hard about it before I pulled the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:47:10 am by TerryPuhl21 »

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Harper
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:30:35 am »
I think Harper is way better than you describe, but I personally don't want him, as he hasn't shown that he elevates a club much.  They'd also need to add more mirrors in the clubhouse.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:54:08 am »
I think Harper is way better than you describe, but I personally don't want him, as he hasn't shown that he elevates a club much.  They'd also need to add more mirrors in the clubhouse.
Well, I may have exaggerated a little bit. I would give you Fisher for him, but I stand by my statement of his being the most overrated and overhyped player in the game. If he gets 350 million then Trout and Altuve are worth 450. They are much better players and so are many others and the Astros shouldn’t trade for him if the Nationals do announce they will take offers.

Back to the original question, Washington SHOULD try to move him and get something for him. They can always resign him in the off season and Harper would understand what the Nationals would be trying to accomplish if they did that. In my opinion, they would be stupid not to move him but I bet he stays put.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 12:38:22 pm »
Oh, good lord.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 01:06:12 pm »
I haven't been watching the Nationals much this season, but six games back in July is not a "trade your marquee player" situation.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 02:18:53 pm »
Well, I may have exaggerated a little bit. I would give you Fisher for him, but I stand by my statement of his being the most overrated and overhyped player in the game. If he gets 350 million then Trout and Altuve are worth 450. They are much better players and so are many others and the Astros shouldn’t trade for him if the Nationals do announce they will take offers.

Back to the original question, Washington SHOULD try to move him and get something for him. They can always resign him in the off season and Harper would understand what the Nationals would be trying to accomplish if they did that. In my opinion, they would be stupid not to move him but I bet he stays put.

The fans would go ballistic, gate receipts and TV viewership would be negatively affected.  Remember, this is an entertainment business.  Being in the hunt for a playoff position, even from 6 games out in July, drives massive gate revenue.  They would take a big financial hit doing so.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 02:31:58 pm »
He and Kris Bryant (they are buddies) are going to team up somewhere, southern Cali most likely.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 02:52:01 pm »
The fans would go ballistic, gate receipts and TV viewership would be negatively affected.  Remember, this is an entertainment business.  Being in the hunt for a playoff position, even from 6 games out in July, drives massive gate revenue.  They would take a big financial hit doing so.
Oh I agree, but remember the original question from TBB’s post that got this thread started. It said....

“If they continue to slide.”

There would be outrage if they moved him today and doing so just 6 back is not what I would do either. But if they continue to lose and are 10 plus back in July 31st, they should move him and I’d be willing to bet that true Nationals fans would understand. Again, they can resign him if they want to pony up the dough.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 02:58:12 pm »
It boggles my mind that fans of any team anywhere actually like that guy.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 03:11:38 pm »
1) “If they continue to slide.”

2) ... true Nationals fans would understand.

Gotcha on #1.

Re: #2, There are very few "true" Nats fans.  So few that they don't really represent the "base".  DC is such a transient town that the vast majority of fans are classic fair-weather fans that show up when the team is winning.  That's their true base.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 04:25:48 pm »
He and Kris Bryant (they are buddies) are going to team up somewhere, southern Cali most likely.

I'm guessing they have the same agent?

For the record, I have always liked watching Harper play baseball. He can be a real force of nature.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 05:11:45 pm »

For the record, I have always liked watching Harper play baseball. He can be a real force of nature.

and a flaming asshole
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 05:59:26 pm »

Grew up together in Vegas.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 06:27:06 pm »
and a flaming asshole

Is there something specific that you have that opinion?

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 07:02:47 am »
It boggles my mind that fans of any team anywhere actually like that guy.

More or less mind boggling than liking Carlos 'the great clubhouse guy' Gomez?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 07:36:24 am »

Both are Scott Boras clients.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 08:41:39 am »
“Grew up” & “Vegas”
This juxtaposition May be a linguistic first.
Up in the Air

Fynn

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 09:57:05 am »
This juxtaposition May be a linguistic first.

That was a clown statement, bro.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 11:13:56 am »
The Ringer has picked up this thread of logic:  The Astros Should Trade for Bryce Harper and Make the Rest of Baseball’s Contenders Cower in Fear

Here's the crux:

"The Astros’ top two prospects — Tucker and Forrest Whitley, who might be the best pitcher in the minors — are too valuable to trade for even peak Harper as just a three-month addition. But the club’s third-best prospect, Yordan Alvarez (no. 32 on FanGraphs’s midseason list and no. 27 at BP), could work as a centerpiece of the deal. ...”

Houston wouldn’t have an issue finding worthwhile complementary players... In addition to Astros pitchers owning the highest collective strikeout rate in the majors, the franchise’s affiliates have the highest strikeout rate in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League, Double-A Texas League, High-A Carolina League, Single-A Midwest League, and short-season New York–Penn League. If Washington wants a few high-performing arms, well, Houston’s entire minor league system is populated with that exact player type, and the Astros can afford to lose a few of those pitchers because they have the ability to create new ones as replacements."

"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 11:30:57 am »
The Ringer has picked up this thread of logic:  The Astros Should Trade for Bryce Harper and Make the Rest of Baseball’s Contenders Cower in Fear

Here's the crux:

"The Astros’ top two prospects — Tucker and Forrest Whitley, who might be the best pitcher in the minors — are too valuable to trade for even peak Harper as just a three-month addition. But the club’s third-best prospect, Yordan Alvarez (no. 32 on FanGraphs’s midseason list and no. 27 at BP), could work as a centerpiece of the deal. ...”

Houston wouldn’t have an issue finding worthwhile complementary players... In addition to Astros pitchers owning the highest collective strikeout rate in the majors, the franchise’s affiliates have the highest strikeout rate in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League, Double-A Texas League, High-A Carolina League, Single-A Midwest League, and short-season New York–Penn League. If Washington wants a few high-performing arms, well, Houston’s entire minor league system is populated with that exact player type, and the Astros can afford to lose a few of those pitchers because they have the ability to create new ones as replacements."

Please no.....not even for a few months.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 12:34:59 pm »
I'd put up with some punkassery for another World Series.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
Harper
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:09 pm »
I'd put up with some punkassery for another World Series.
I probably would too, but Harper’s punkassery wouldn’t get you that title. He isn’t good enough to put you over the hump.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 03:27:22 pm »

In addition to Astros pitchers owning the highest collective strikeout rate in the majors, the franchise’s affiliates have the highest strikeout rate in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League, Double-A Texas League, High-A Carolina League, Single-A Midwest League, and short-season New York–Penn League. If Washington wants a few high-performing arms, well, Houston’s entire minor league system is populated with that exact player type, and the Astros can afford to lose a few of those pitchers because they have the ability to create new ones as replacements."[/i]

That’s some quality discovery/reporting there. What a remarkable comment.