Author Topic: Last night  (Read 1205 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Last night
« on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:03 am »
Lost in all the brouhaha over the bizarre ending were the terrific ABs by Reddick, Tucker, and Kemp against the hottest closer in MLB and Reddick’s tremendous baserunning which produced the tying run.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Tom Servo

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Last night
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:47:01 am »
Did the A’s not have the shift on Tucker in his at bat?  I thought for sure he was going to ground out to 2b when he first hit the ball, but was pleasantly surprised when the ball scooted through. I know they had the shift on him earlier. Maybe that opposite field hit made them play him more straight up in that at bat?  I’d have to watch it again to see how they were playing him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:53:50 am »
Did the A’s not have the shift on Tucker in his at bat?  I thought for sure he was going to ground out to 2b when he first hit the ball, but was pleasantly surprised when the ball scooted through. I know they had the shift on him earlier. Maybe that opposite field hit made them play him more straight up in that at bat?  I’d have to watch it again to see how they were playing him.

No. They were playing for the DP, which I wish we would do with the game on the line. Davis’ grounder to 2B in the 9th was a tailor-made dp, but there was no one there.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:07:33 am by JimR »

Tom Servo

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:59:10 am »
No. They were playing for the DP, which I wish we would do with the game on the line. Davis’ ground to 2B in the 9th was a tailor-made dp, but there was no one there.

Oh ok. Thanks. I wasn’t even thinking positioning for the DP vs the shift. I guess I’m too used to the Astros shifts.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:09:16 am »
Oh ok. Thanks. I wasn’t even thinking positioning for the DP vs the shift. I guess I’m too used to the Astros shifts.

I think the frustration of seeing a critical doubleplay ball going into open spaces contributed to Giles’ meltdown.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:56:04 am »
I think the frustration of seeing a critical doubleplay ball going into open spaces contributed to Giles’ meltdown.
I had not thought of that and you are probably correct. However, Giles has been here long enough to know that this is the system he has to pitch in. I’m sure he and the other pitchers have been frustrated with the shift from time to time. But the Astros have demonstrated that they are not going to deviate from that strategy and you better buy in if you want to play here and be successful.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:14:18 am »
I had not thought of that and you are probably correct. However, Giles has been here long enough to know that this is the system he has to pitch in. I’m sure he and the other pitchers have been frustrated with the shift from time to time. But the Astros have demonstrated that they are not going to deviate from that strategy and you better buy in if you want to play here and be successful.

Oh, I know, but if you are pitching and see that happen, saying/thinking “Fuck the shift” is a normal reaction. I wish we had an exception for must-have dp situations.