Author Topic: DIRECTV streaming 2018  (Read 2083 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: DIRECTV streaming 2018
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2019, 02:29:48 pm »
I'm gonna cancel fubo.tv at the end of the 7 day trail, I don't like their user interface or channel selection compared to hulu live. In the mean time I can sign into Attsportsnet.com with my parents uverse id and watch the Astros content. That's how I watched them last year and it's free. I was fairly pleased with hulu live but they did just raise their rates. I guess that leaves me with trying youtube tv live, directtv now, or playstation vue next. Any recommendations?

YT Live doesn't have Hallmark (see conversation above).  I don't know what the Fubo interface looks like, but the PS Vue interface is a clusterfuck.  It's vertical, not horizontal, so every show name longer than about 5 letters has to wrap the text like crazy.  The DVR is of the "everything forever" type, which is fine except that it always lands on the earliest episode available, not the earliest unwatched episode.  So if you DVR something like "2020", you have to scroll forward through every episode from like 2007 to get to 2019.

I'm still enjoying DTV Now; it has a great interface (although having to use the Menu button on the Apple TV for multiple functionality gets a touch confusing at times).  The DVR is simple and solid, but remains endlessly in Beta so there's still only 20 hours available (works for us but maybe not for a more populous household).  One frustration is that it will struggle to load a show from the DVR or - rarely - live TV, and the on-screen message blames your internet feed.  I know it's not that because I can check it while I'm sitting there; essentially meaningless, but still a little on the nose.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2019, 03:10:29 pm »
YT Live doesn't have Hallmark (see conversation above). 
This seems like the best deal for me.
And my sins are so unoriginal, I have all the self-loathing of a wolf in sheep's clothing. In this carnival of carnivores, Heaven help me.

Noe in Austin

• Administrator
  • I give clown answers, bro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2019, 03:56:06 pm »
I'm gonna cancel fubo.tv at the end of the 7 day trail, I don't like their user interface or channel selection compared to hulu live. In the mean time I can sign into Attsportsnet.com with my parents uverse id and watch the Astros content. That's how I watched them last year and it's free. I was fairly pleased with hulu live but they did just raise their rates. I guess that leaves me with trying youtube tv live, directtv now, or playstation vue next. Any recommendations?

My friend recommended YouTube TV to me. He swears by it.
"He is a cockroach. And on Monday, he went splat." - Jeff Passan (on Ryan Braun)

Noe in Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2019, 04:04:19 pm »
FYI, if you cancel fubotv during their 7 day free trail, they comeback with a month discount offer of $19.99.

Conversation between my wife and I:

(Me): "I'm going to go with FuboTV as our skinny channel provider."
(Wife): "Why?"
(Me): "They provide all the channels we like.. ah... Food Network, Turner Classic Movies, you know."
(Wife): "Well, they're basically channels you like, I don't watch television unless it's some of the British Sitcoms we can get. The Over The Air channels we get now by way of the antenna you set up is enough for me."
(Me): "Yeah... but...."
(Wife): "I know, your sports channels, especially Houston Astros broadcast... right?"
(Me): "Yes"
(Wife): "Well just say so, go and pay 44 dollars a month just so you can watch the Astros play"
(Me): "Yeah, but it's better than paying cable bills for *NOT* watching Houston Astros games and basically being left with only a handful of channels I like"
(Wife): "Good point."
"He is a cockroach. And on Monday, he went splat." - Jeff Passan (on Ryan Braun)

Noe in Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2019, 04:48:28 pm »
I don't know what the Fubo interface looks like, but the PS Vue interface is a clusterfuck.  It's vertical, not horizontal, so every show name longer than about 5 letters has to wrap the text like crazy.  The DVR is of the "everything forever" type, which is fine except that it always lands on the earliest episode available, not the earliest unwatched episode.  So if you DVR something like "2020", you have to scroll forward through every episode from like 2007 to get to 2019.

This guy did a review of the Fubo interface based on launching the app through Roku.  Apparently if you're going to want to scroll through the channel guide, it will be horizontal and then the selection is vertical based on time. I'm used to the TWC On-Demand app that lets me select vertically for the channel first and then horizontally for the timeframe next. So it will be a different method I'll need to get used to. Because the vertical selection is the timeframe, it's not a top-down but a bottom-up (acending versus decending) scrolling. I bet that will take some getting used to as well. But the selection of sports offerings is really good (according to what I saw in his review.

I don't think the interface will be a deal breaker to be able to get Astros broadcast (finally). But the fact that I am going to lose ESPN is something I'm going to have to let go. My watching ESPN got less and less once I camped on the MLB Network, so it's not like I'll suffer huge withdrawals.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:51:16 pm by Noe in Austin »

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2019, 08:57:36 am »
My friend recommended YouTube TV to me. He swears by it.

YouTube TV has excellent picture quality.  I haven't tried Sling, DTV Now, or many of the others, but PS Vue's picture quality during our free trial was garbage.  We showed the Super Bowl at work on our big projector screen using YouTube TV and people thought they were watching cable or satellite.  Also, you get six simultaneous streams and it's pretty much the only streaming service that carries all four major networks in most markets; many other services usually lack one of those networks in each market.

My biggest complaint about YouTube TV is that with your DVR "recordings", if you don't watch them same day then they may get substituted for a VOD with commercials that you can't skip.  Apparently the network or the studio can enforce that on any shows they want.  It's only happened to us with a couple of shows, but it is annoying when it happens.  Apparently other streaming services are susceptible to this as well.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2019, 12:55:05 pm »
YouTube TV has excellent picture quality.  I haven't tried Sling, DTV Now, or many of the others, but PS Vue's picture quality during our free trial was garbage.  We showed the Super Bowl at work on our big projector screen using YouTube TV and people thought they were watching cable or satellite.  Also, you get six simultaneous streams and it's pretty much the only streaming service that carries all four major networks in most markets; many other services usually lack one of those networks in each market.

My biggest complaint about YouTube TV is that with your DVR "recordings", if you don't watch them same day then they may get substituted for a VOD with commercials that you can't skip.  Apparently the network or the studio can enforce that on any shows they want.  It's only happened to us with a couple of shows, but it is annoying when it happens.  Apparently other streaming services are susceptible to this as well.

Dish had a dvr feature that would automatically skip commercials.  I think there was litigation or threats of litigation to stop it.

Here's an article:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160211/10423633579/dish-agrees-to-cripple-ad-skipping-dvr-to-settle-fox-lawsuit.shtml