Author Topic: DIRECTV streaming 2018  (Read 4864 times)

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
DIRECTV streaming 2018
« on: June 30, 2018, 12:26:15 pm »
I've been vacationing with my family in Florida the last week and I have attempted to stream the Astros games from ATT Sports Net SW.  I currently have DIRECTV.  I had Uverse last summer and had no problems streaming when I was traveling in New York and Connecticut.  Now I keep getting an error that I'm not in a region where I can stream from.  I've attempted to trick the streaming service by 1) using my company's VPN to appear like my IP is in Austin and 2) overriding the Geo location in Chrome to make it appear like my laptop is back in Round Rock.  Neither has made a difference.  I then started looking at the network responses in Chrome's devtools console and I see a response indicating my zip code in Round Rock is not allowed to stream.  WTF?  I wish I had never switched from Uverse.  Fucking ATT pushed and pushed for me to change and finally got me when I went to upgrade a phone and they gave me a $350 credit if I switched to DIRECTV.  And then they promptly charged me $200 for installation of the wireless genie 2 system.  Fuckers.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: DIRECTV streaming 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 01:24:56 pm »
I have no problems streaming DirecTV from anywhere. Not sure what’s going on with you.

ETA;  of course, if you’re in the Rays’ broadcast territory, you might not be able to stream their games there with an Astros’ broadcast location.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:27:56 pm by HudsonHawk »
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 01:52:29 pm »
I think Hudson is on to something with the territorial restrictions. Have you tried to download the Fox Sun Sports app and downstream form it?
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 01:56:27 pm »
thankfully I live where I can get att cable and pretty much have not missed a game sense
forever is composed entirely of nows

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 02:28:51 pm »
Hmm, I didn’t consider trying the Rays streaming. I’m in the Florida panhandle but that is probably still in the Rays territory. I guess what is confusing me is the error I’m seeing about my billing zip code not being authorised. I did try again and was able to watch softball that was streaming on ATT sports. so maybe I’m only being restricted during the game broadcast.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

Nate in IA

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 02:46:58 pm »
Hmm, I didn’t consider trying the Rays streaming. I’m in the Florida panhandle but that is probably still in the Rays territory.

I live in eastern Iowa.  I am in the Twins, White Sox, Cubs, Reds, Royals, Tigers territory.    How the @*#* am I supposed to get to games all of which are a minimum of 4 hours by car?  MLB territory restrictions are incredibly bad.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »
I live in eastern Iowa.  I am in the Twins, White Sox, Cubs, Reds, Royals, Tigers territory.    How the @*#* am I supposed to get to games all of which are a minimum of 4 hours by car?  MLB territory restrictions are incredibly bad.
Seems like the Brewers and Cardinals are being left out.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 05:51:44 pm »
Seems like the Brewers and Cardinals are being left out.

You are correct.. thought I was leaving some teams out but posted too quickly.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 06:11:13 pm »

MLB broadcast restrictions aren’t to protect the gate, they’re to give exclusivity to regional sports networks.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 05:32:38 pm »
Along these lines, I recently tried the Playstation Vue service, using my Apple TV as the conduit for the big TV.  The interface on the Apple TV is a little clunky but functional.  As it's a skinny TV service, that doesn't matter so much as you can elect favorite channels that are listed up front and there's only about 50 channels overall.  You can also set up profiles, so my favorites don't have to overlap with Mrs Limey's.  The picture quality is very good, although live sports gets a little YouTubey, if that makes sense.  The quality of picture / service on a phone/tablet or browser is excellent.

The monthly cost for the package that gets Mrs Limey's Hallmark channels is $55/month (if not for one of the Hallmark channels, we could get everything else we need for $45/month) which includes HD and limitless DVR - and this combines quite nicely with AT&T's internet-only service that's $50/month with contract.  Compare that to Xfinity, which charges $120/month for TV and internet (no more channels that we watch than the PSV lineup), plus $10/month each for two set-top boxes, plus $10/month for DVR, plus $10/month for HD ($160/month if you're keeping score at home).  It would be more if I hadn't invested in my own modem (another $10/month).

Unless XFinity will drop their price, then the switch is coming and the cable is getting cut.  I do need an additional Apple TV for the other TV, but that pays for itself in 2 months at these rates and the old v2 Apple TV in the bedroom is due an upgrade anyway and I can add service to other room simply by adding more Apple TVs.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:34:41 pm by Limey »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 05:55:29 pm »
We had Playstaion Vue and switched it out for youtube TV.   Same basic premise.   Apparently I can get at least 3 of the regional sports nets through YouTubeTV  so tied with MLB.TV and the fact that the Astros now play in the AL West and don't frequent the Midwest much anymore, I can work my around the blackouts to my satisfaction.   

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 07:17:23 pm »
We had Playstaion Vue and switched it out for youtube TV.   Same basic premise.   Apparently I can get at least 3 of the regional sports nets through YouTubeTV  so tied with MLB.TV and the fact that the Astros now play in the AL West and don't frequent the Midwest much anymore, I can work my around the blackouts to my satisfaction.

No Hallmark channel on YT, so no go for us. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 07:30:00 pm »
What the hell do you get on the Hallmark channel, Murder, She Wrote?
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 07:35:42 pm »

Golden Girls
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 07:36:58 pm »
has anyone else found METV
forever is composed entirely of nows

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 07:53:25 pm »

Ronda watches the movies.  It’s July, so that means the DVR is filling up with Christmas movies. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 08:16:33 pm »
Ronda watches the movies.  It’s July, so that means the DVR is filling up with Christmas movies.

God, my wife watches them constantly.  Especially the Christmas movies.  And it's always the same fucking story:  Some chick named "Holly", high power executive, visits her parents in her old hometown, leaving her fiancé to tend to things in the big city.  She hooks up with her old flame, "Nick", who never left town and is kind to small children and animals.  Son of a bitch...wouldn't you know it, Holly discovers what an asshole her fiancé is and that she's really in love with Nick. They kiss under the mistletoe and live happily ever after.  Every.  Fucking.  Movie. 

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 08:51:43 pm »
God, my wife watches them constantly.  Especially the Christmas movies.  And it's always the same fucking story:  Some chick named "Holly", high power executive, visits her parents in her old hometown, leaving her fiancé to tend to things in the big city.  She hooks up with her old flame, "Nick", who never left town and is kind to small children and animals.  Son of a bitch...wouldn't you know it, Holly discovers what an asshole her fiancé is and that she's really in love with Nick. They kiss under the mistletoe and live happily ever after.  Every.  Fucking.  Movie.
Yeah, pretty sure I've seen this movie 10 times while never watching any movie twice

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 09:43:39 pm »

You forgot that Nick’s wife died a few years ago...at Christmas.  So he is conflicted creating complications in the burgeoning relationship.  Trust me, I have pointed this out.  I have also been told to “shut the fuck up”.  It’s serious business. 

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 02:08:07 am »
So in your wives' imaginations, do you guys reckon that you play the role of Nick?

My wife watches those two fruitcake design twins on Netflix all the time. I'm pretty sure that whatever she may or may not imagine of me does not play into it, but I guess you never really know.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja