Author Topic: DIRECTV streaming 2018  (Read 4314 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: DIRECTV streaming 2018
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2019, 02:29:48 pm »
I'm gonna cancel fubo.tv at the end of the 7 day trail, I don't like their user interface or channel selection compared to hulu live. In the mean time I can sign into Attsportsnet.com with my parents uverse id and watch the Astros content. That's how I watched them last year and it's free. I was fairly pleased with hulu live but they did just raise their rates. I guess that leaves me with trying youtube tv live, directtv now, or playstation vue next. Any recommendations?

YT Live doesn't have Hallmark (see conversation above).  I don't know what the Fubo interface looks like, but the PS Vue interface is a clusterfuck.  It's vertical, not horizontal, so every show name longer than about 5 letters has to wrap the text like crazy.  The DVR is of the "everything forever" type, which is fine except that it always lands on the earliest episode available, not the earliest unwatched episode.  So if you DVR something like "2020", you have to scroll forward through every episode from like 2007 to get to 2019.

I'm still enjoying DTV Now; it has a great interface (although having to use the Menu button on the Apple TV for multiple functionality gets a touch confusing at times).  The DVR is simple and solid, but remains endlessly in Beta so there's still only 20 hours available (works for us but maybe not for a more populous household).  One frustration is that it will struggle to load a show from the DVR or - rarely - live TV, and the on-screen message blames your internet feed.  I know it's not that because I can check it while I'm sitting there; essentially meaningless, but still a little on the nose.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2019, 03:10:29 pm »
YT Live doesn't have Hallmark (see conversation above). 
This seems like the best deal for me.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Noe

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2019, 03:56:06 pm »
I'm gonna cancel fubo.tv at the end of the 7 day trail, I don't like their user interface or channel selection compared to hulu live. In the mean time I can sign into Attsportsnet.com with my parents uverse id and watch the Astros content. That's how I watched them last year and it's free. I was fairly pleased with hulu live but they did just raise their rates. I guess that leaves me with trying youtube tv live, directtv now, or playstation vue next. Any recommendations?

My friend recommended YouTube TV to me. He swears by it.

Noe

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2019, 04:04:19 pm »
FYI, if you cancel fubotv during their 7 day free trail, they comeback with a month discount offer of $19.99.

Conversation between my wife and I:

(Me): "I'm going to go with FuboTV as our skinny channel provider."
(Wife): "Why?"
(Me): "They provide all the channels we like.. ah... Food Network, Turner Classic Movies, you know."
(Wife): "Well, they're basically channels you like, I don't watch television unless it's some of the British Sitcoms we can get. The Over The Air channels we get now by way of the antenna you set up is enough for me."
(Me): "Yeah... but...."
(Wife): "I know, your sports channels, especially Houston Astros broadcast... right?"
(Me): "Yes"
(Wife): "Well just say so, go and pay 44 dollars a month just so you can watch the Astros play"
(Me): "Yeah, but it's better than paying cable bills for *NOT* watching Houston Astros games and basically being left with only a handful of channels I like"
(Wife): "Good point."

Noe

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2019, 04:48:28 pm »
I don't know what the Fubo interface looks like, but the PS Vue interface is a clusterfuck.  It's vertical, not horizontal, so every show name longer than about 5 letters has to wrap the text like crazy.  The DVR is of the "everything forever" type, which is fine except that it always lands on the earliest episode available, not the earliest unwatched episode.  So if you DVR something like "2020", you have to scroll forward through every episode from like 2007 to get to 2019.

This guy did a review of the Fubo interface based on launching the app through Roku.  Apparently if you're going to want to scroll through the channel guide, it will be horizontal and then the selection is vertical based on time. I'm used to the TWC On-Demand app that lets me select vertically for the channel first and then horizontally for the timeframe next. So it will be a different method I'll need to get used to. Because the vertical selection is the timeframe, it's not a top-down but a bottom-up (acending versus decending) scrolling. I bet that will take some getting used to as well. But the selection of sports offerings is really good (according to what I saw in his review.

I don't think the interface will be a deal breaker to be able to get Astros broadcast (finally). But the fact that I am going to lose ESPN is something I'm going to have to let go. My watching ESPN got less and less once I camped on the MLB Network, so it's not like I'll suffer huge withdrawals.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:51:16 pm by Noe in Austin »

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2019, 08:57:36 am »
My friend recommended YouTube TV to me. He swears by it.

YouTube TV has excellent picture quality.  I haven't tried Sling, DTV Now, or many of the others, but PS Vue's picture quality during our free trial was garbage.  We showed the Super Bowl at work on our big projector screen using YouTube TV and people thought they were watching cable or satellite.  Also, you get six simultaneous streams and it's pretty much the only streaming service that carries all four major networks in most markets; many other services usually lack one of those networks in each market.

My biggest complaint about YouTube TV is that with your DVR "recordings", if you don't watch them same day then they may get substituted for a VOD with commercials that you can't skip.  Apparently the network or the studio can enforce that on any shows they want.  It's only happened to us with a couple of shows, but it is annoying when it happens.  Apparently other streaming services are susceptible to this as well.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2019, 12:55:05 pm »
YouTube TV has excellent picture quality.  I haven't tried Sling, DTV Now, or many of the others, but PS Vue's picture quality during our free trial was garbage.  We showed the Super Bowl at work on our big projector screen using YouTube TV and people thought they were watching cable or satellite.  Also, you get six simultaneous streams and it's pretty much the only streaming service that carries all four major networks in most markets; many other services usually lack one of those networks in each market.

My biggest complaint about YouTube TV is that with your DVR "recordings", if you don't watch them same day then they may get substituted for a VOD with commercials that you can't skip.  Apparently the network or the studio can enforce that on any shows they want.  It's only happened to us with a couple of shows, but it is annoying when it happens.  Apparently other streaming services are susceptible to this as well.

Dish had a dvr feature that would automatically skip commercials.  I think there was litigation or threats of litigation to stop it.

Here's an article:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160211/10423633579/dish-agrees-to-cripple-ad-skipping-dvr-to-settle-fox-lawsuit.shtml

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2019, 02:33:41 pm »
Resurrecting this thread to ask a question.
I'm finally moving home after Harvey at the end of this month, and we're going to cut the cord.  For those of you who use a proxy/MLB.TV, does that interfere with your Netflix/Hulu/Amazon apps?  Do you change the DNS on your Smart TV and access the apps through a fire stick/Roku or something?  I don't know the lingo very well so please tell me where I'm an idiot.  Are there certain brands that do this better than others?

Basically I need my 10 year old to be able to turn the Astros on whenever he wants and my 8 year old to change it to Netflix whenever she wants.
Any help appreciated.  Going back to reading more and posting less now.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2019, 03:00:24 pm »
I'm finally moving home after Harvey at the end of this month, and we're going to cut the cord.  For those of you who use a proxy/MLB.TV, does that interfere with your Netflix/Hulu/Amazon apps?  Do you change the DNS on your Smart TV and access the apps through a fire stick/Roku or something?  I don't know the lingo very well so please tell me where I'm an idiot.  Are there certain brands that do this better than others?

Basically I need my 10 year old to be able to turn the Astros on whenever he wants and my 8 year old to change it to Netflix whenever she wants.

We use Harmony remotes.  Once you set up the remote, it’s one touch to access any device (ie., watch cable/roku/dvd/etc). And one off button that turns all devices off.  Tv remote for dummies.

Noe

« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2019, 02:54:59 pm »

I'm using a Roku on my already smartTV that does not have the apps necessary to run anything I need (in terms of live TV). I use the Roku Premiere stick and it comes with a remote that allows me to control certain television settings like volume. With the remote, it is easy to jump to the apps I need when I want to switch to view certain things I want to watch not on the live tv apps. For instance, PLEX or other apps that run television series or movies not found on the live tv app. So as a for instance:

1. I use the Roku to launch Sling (my live tv provider). I'm using Sling to watch some of my favorite broadcasters, like TNT (for the NBA playoffs), Food Network, and ESPN (for NBA playoffs). I chose Sling because of their promotional price, so for three months I have that service at a very reasonable price. But that does not satisfy my Astros watching. Nor anything Netflix related or Hulu related which are good for provisioned series (for instance if you like to binge watch popular television series, you'll find them there).

2. There are other ways to watch live tv like Crackle or Pluto. Kim Kamando has a nice article on your choices. Limits are on what you can watch and some are live and some are not.  All I can run from my Roku menu of options.

3. Back to the Astros. Right now, the only option to get the Astros broadcast live (ATTSportsNet) is through cable or DirectTV but there is one streaming service for Astros live: Fubo.tv  It's not cheap, it's right up there with the other expensive live tv streaming offers (DirectTV Now, YouTube TV, and the most expensive Sling option). The fact that they've all raised their subscription prices is worrisome because it is making cord cutting less of an option. So some of the cable companies have gotten smart and offer their own version of streaming tv that does not require the coaxial cable connection.. their service is through the internet just like the others. Spectrum offers to stream live proogramming for about the same price as Direct TV and YouTube TV as a frame of reference. I know that ATT is now offering live TV steamed as well. The ATT offer is quite intriquing because it is very reasonable. It seems to be a direct competitor of Sling's good options. I'm keeping my eye on this service in case they ever offer regional sports coverage like ATTSportsNet. For now, I'm just using MLB TV to watch baseball and of course the Astros on delay when I can. I did the free trial of Fubo and liked it, but I did not like the price.

4. A la carte: No one offers a la carte streaming, most are bundled offers from the services (DirectTV, Sling, etc.) The bundles drive what the streaming services offer, for instance, if Fubo does not make a deal with Disney, they don't get ESPN and other Disney offerings. If DirectTV does not make a deal with ABC or FOX, they won't get their bundle which would mean you don't get certain favorite broadcasters that only come in said bundle. That is why the different providers have different offerings, the bundle deals they make drive what they offer. No uniformity in offerings, so you have to make choices and can't mix and match that much. Sling does something interesting, they get the closest to making a la carte offerings. They offer extra bundles, like a Sports extra or Entertainment extra and that allows you to do one stop shopping on their program instead of having too many apps.

So the good thing about cord cutting services is that it is as good as getting cable offerings in terms of quality (don't go cheap on your internet provider - ATT, for instance only offered a very low up and down mps service, well below 100 mps... that is just too low. In fact, I would say to be most successful and not having to tether (ethernet cabling) every device, have at least 250 to 300 mps internet service and you'll never look back. The bad side of cord cutting is the very fact they are as good as quality as cable that they're pushing their price points to almost cable prices. And cable is getting smart, they are making their own streaming options available. The two are meeting at similar price points right now but hoping it's not about raising prices more and more because of comfort levels of subscribers. We are cord cutting to save money but still get the same quality. Other may be cord cutting because of the flexibility of device watching (anywhere, anytime) because no cord is necessary. For those shoppers who are making a lateral move just for flexibility, there isn't anything to fear.

Recap: I use Ruku to launch Sling Orange and other apps (including over the air broadcasting through an app), oner of which is Plex for my own movies that I've converted to mp4s from my DVD and BluRay collection. I'm enjoying the flexibility a lot. I'm enjoying the huge drop in cost very much. I'm not watching the Astros live (the drawback) but that is my choice. My savings doing this is somewhere near $800 a year. Had I wanted to buy more bundles (like Hulu, Fubo and Sling) and services, I estimated my savings near $200 a year from cable, which makes in almost a push.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2019, 02:29:43 pm »
Welp,

Looks like a storm is brewing b/w DirecTV AT&T vs ESPN.   ESPN set to go black at midnight, so no college football tomorrow.  Im finally to the point to cut the cord. 

I live in Houston, my #1 priority is finding a service that I can still watch Astros games live.  It appears that is the case with Fubo.TV   Are there any other options?

Also, I have 3 TVs, who do I get them to play a streaming service?  One is a Vizio with their built in chromecast stuff.   The others are not smart TVs.   Lastly, would I need to up my internet plan?  Never have a problem with data limits, cause I dont stream much. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2019, 03:31:15 pm »
I went back to FUBOtv a month and a half back. I had been using my parents username and password to their UVERSE account to watch Astros games on the Attsportsnet app but it was plagued with issues affecting it's quality. Fubo works great but no ESPN, however the Roku and smart TV ESPN apps work great with my parent's logon credentials. I use Roku exclusively smart TV or not.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2019, 03:31:15 pm »
Welp,

Looks like a storm is brewing b/w DirecTV AT&T vs ESPN.   ESPN set to go black at midnight, so no college football tomorrow.  Im finally to the point to cut the cord. 

I live in Houston, my #1 priority is finding a service that I can still watch Astros games live.  It appears that is the case with Fubo.TV   Are there any other options?

Also, I have 3 TVs, who do I get them to play a streaming service?  One is a Vizio with their built in chromecast stuff.   The others are not smart TVs.   Lastly, would I need to up my internet plan?  Never have a problem with data limits, cause I dont stream much.

Some cord cutting Astros watchers I know just use a stream available from reddit to watch the games.

Get an amazon firestick and an apple TV for the TVs.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Astros Fan in Big D

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2019, 03:33:04 pm »
To further muddy the waters,  ATT is considering selling their regional sports networks.   So what works now may not work after a sale.

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/sinclair-comcast-att-regional-sports-networks.html

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2019, 03:36:18 pm »
If you have a Playstation or Xbox you can stream through those. I use a PS4 plus PS Vue for programming. That still doesn't get me the Astros, but there are ways to do it.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2019, 03:36:31 pm »
To further muddy the waters,  ATT is considering selling their regional sports networks.   So what works now may not work after a sale.

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/sinclair-comcast-att-regional-sports-networks.html

Speaking of RSNs, Crane's fraud lawsuit against McLane for CSN Houston has sprung back to life.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2019, 11:10:40 am »

At least with streaming packages you go month-to-month without contract so, if the Astros give you a body swerve, you can dump one service and get another on the fly.  Also, as each one typically gives you a month free, you can overlap the new service without getting doubled up on dues.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2019, 11:24:55 am »

As others have said, you need a "dongle" for the unsmart TVs; Roku or Apple TV seem to be the most popular/functional.  They are an investment - particularly the Apple TV - but unless you want 4k resolution, you can get a refurbed 4th gen ATV that does everything else but 4k for less.

For data limits, we run two TVs of an Xfinity internet-only package with a 70mbs speed limit and 1TB data limit.  Neither of those limits causes us a problem.  Even when we're watching different things at the same time, we don't have any issues.  Ours is an artificially throttled speed limit, so it has no problem pushing through the full 70mbs when needed.  Another service where the speed is hardware-limited - like AT&T - you might not get such a good result.

Lastly, if you're cutting the cord, I recommend you buy your own modem.  Just make sure to get one that's compatible with your internet provider of choice.  You will save instantly by avoiding an installation charge, and every month thereafter by not paying to rent their modem.  I got mine for $80, and it saved me the $100 installation fee* and $10/month thereafter.

* Make sure you don't sleepwalk into the installation fee if you have your own modem.  Unless they have to do some physical connections, there's no need for them to come out to your house.  They should have a way for you to initiate the service and, if they don't, factor this into your price comparison.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 11:29:26 am by Limey »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2019, 11:33:36 am »
CNet has done the research for you.  In Houston, FuboTV is your only option; out of market, you can watch on MLBTV.

Note:  Fubo does not carry KTRK/ABC, nor ESPN.  Basically, it's Disney-free.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 11:55:06 am by Limey »

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2019, 04:53:29 pm »
Lastly, if you're cutting the cord, I recommend you buy your own modem.  Just make sure to get one that's compatible with your internet provider of choice.  You will save instantly by avoiding an installation charge, and every month thereafter by not paying to rent their modem.  I got mine for $80, and it saved me the $100 installation fee* and $10/month thereafter.

Just some food for thought... owning your own modem gives your cable company an excuse to blame issues on it and absolve themselves of any responsibility.