Author Topic: DIRECTV streaming 2018  (Read 4444 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: DIRECTV streaming 2018
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 06:18:44 am »
So in your wives' imaginations, do you guys reckon that you play the role of Nick?

My wife watches those two fruitcake design twins on Netflix all the time. I'm pretty sure that whatever she may or may not imagine of me does not play into it, but I guess you never really know.

Ronda LOVES Christmas and she loves Hallmark movies because "they have a good heart".  I doubt very much that she's seeing me in those movies or expects me to be that way, in real life she's one of the least sentimental people.  The most obvious example being on our first wedding anniversary, I made her a latte, put it in a nice cup and took it to her in bed, woke her up with a kiss and said "Happy Anniversary, sweetheart!"  She replied "Oh.  Is that today?"
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 11:01:07 am »
Which is sort of why her love of all things Hallmark is so hard for me to square.

Mrs Hawk, on the other hand, I can understand her love for Hallmark.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 11:09:05 am »
Well played, sir.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 11:15:35 am »
Which is sort of why her love of all things Hallmark is so hard for me to square.

She is obsessed.  We have well over 1,000 Hallmark Christmas tree ornaments, and she buys them by the dozen each year.  Roughly 25% of them actually have space on the tree.  We have a Halloween tree she decorates.  I guess I shouldn't complain.  Other than an inordinate number of Christmass tree decorations, she's not really a spender on much.  And the house *is* festive during the Holiday season. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 10:06:30 am »
I had an interesting series of calls with XFinity yesterday.  Bottom line: despite being a near 20-year customer, the best deal the "Loyalty Dept." could offer was one that was worse than the deal available on their website.  Ummm...no.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 10:45:46 am »
I had an interesting series of calls with XFinity yesterday.  Bottom line: despite being a near 20-year customer, the best deal the "Loyalty Dept." could offer was one that was worse than the deal available on their website.  Ummm...no.

I had the same problem with Time Warner a couple of years ago. I asked for the deal on the website; they said they couldn't do that, and I left them. Within three months, I was getting offers for that deal. I haven't returned.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 10:49:09 am »
I had the same problem with Time Warner a couple of years ago. I asked for the deal on the website; they said they couldn't do that, and I left them. Within three months, I was getting offers for that deal. I haven't returned.

It's so crazy.  If they had come close to the cable-cutting deal, I would've stayed (their internet is faster than AT&T's), but it was that double-whammy of not only not being close, it was not even close to their own best deal.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 03:56:31 pm »
I know loyalty means nothing I went through that and  ended up with att (and the astros)  does not seem like a good business model
forever is composed entirely of nows

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 06:47:11 am »
Update:  I have switched from PS Vue to DirectTV Now.  The PS Vue interface - particularly the DVR - was just too much to handle.  Also, I was able to get the cheapest channel line-up on DTV Now vs. the most expensive on PS Vue - $25/month cheaper!  DTV Now's interface is great and it has a "beta" DVR, which works well and allows up to 20 hours (which is plenty for us until Hallmark starts rolling out its Christmas movies).  They claim they will add more recording time (for a fee) once they are out of beta.

The reason this has become relevant now is that DTV Now - for reasons I don't understand - cannot put the Golf Channel on the same package as Hallmark's Movies and Mysteries (see above as to why that's an issue).  With the Ryder Cup coming up, some of the coverage in on GC, so I will need to find other ways to watch it.  However, being in France this year, the matches start at 1am, so watching live is going to be limited by circadian rhythms.  NBC is carrying Saturday and Sunday, so it's only the Friday play for which I'll need to find an alternative source.

One thing I don't miss is the buhzillion channels that I never watched on my Xfinity subscription.  FYI, HBO is only $5/month on DTV Now.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 08:04:33 am »
Even though DTV Now is under the AT&T umbrella, they don't offer AT&T Sportsnet, although they do offer Fox Sports SW.  I don't understand why. When I asked why not, they told me they were working on it.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 08:09:13 am »
Even though DTV Now is under the AT&T umbrella, they don't offer AT&T Sportsnet, although they do offer Fox Sports SW.  I don't understand why. When I asked why not, they told me they were working on it.

I'm sure AT&T typically bundle the sports with a bunch of shit and make people pay more for it, which is why they're not letting DTV Now cherry-pick it from their bundled lineup. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 09:17:08 am »

AT&T Sportsnet is channel 674 on DirectTV.  I watch it every night.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 09:19:50 am »

That’s a full-bundle service.  I think the problem is that the skinny bundles are different because they can’t pass on the charge for the extraneous shit the wrap around desirable channels.

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 09:39:36 am »
That’s a full-bundle service.  I think the problem is that the skinny bundles are different because they can’t pass on the charge for the extraneous shit the wrap around desirable channels.

I got DTV about a year ago with the regular sports package (3 ESPNs, FS1 etc.) and no Golf Channel.  When I called them on it they said it would n=ne an additional $10.99 a month pretty much just for the GC.  I declined.  Then right before the US Open I magically started getting it.  Had it ever since.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 09:43:14 am »
I got DTV about a year ago with the regular sports package (3 ESPNs, FS1 etc.) and no Golf Channel.  When I called them on it they said it would n=ne an additional $10.99 a month pretty much just for the GC.  I declined.  Then right before the US Open I magically started getting it.  Had it ever since.

Must be some weird dick-measuring thing going on between GE and AT&T.  Everything will be so much better when there's just one big media company.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 09:44:03 am »

That's the full satellite deal.  Limey is philosophically and aesthetically opposed to satellite dishes.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 09:54:00 am »
That's the full satellite deal.  Limey is philosophically and aesthetically opposed to satellite dishes.

And meteorologically.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 10:20:49 am »
DTV Now is the streaming service.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 10:31:58 am »
DTV Now is the streaming service.

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 10:37:40 am »
I have DTV through a dish, with a shitload of channels, and of course, weather and my continually growing trees do their bit.  I assume that the streaming service would allow me every channel I currently get, so when reception is lost and I turn to the Ipad DTV app, I am limited to a small subset of my subscribed channels.   Never understood that limitation.

I remember when I switched from U-verse back to DTV, the guy said the company was promoting that, as it took demand off their "pipes."  Maybe that's behind this odd deal: if I can watch through the dish, they don't want to make it easy to watch through the internet.