Author Topic: Verlander  (Read 2502 times)

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Verlander
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:27:27 am »
From Jake Kaplan:

Wednesday’s was Verlander’s 395th career regular-season start. He’s only the sixth to reach 2,500 strikeouts within his first 400 games. The others were Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez. The way Verlander has pitched lately, the 3,000-strikeout club (which has only 16 members) seems viable.

Pretty good company...
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Verlander
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:59:59 am »
From Jake Kaplan:

Pretty good company...
His May numbers in 4 starts ...
IP: 29 (7+ per start); ERA: 0.62; WHIP:  0.69;  K/BB:  36:6;  K/9:  12.1; W-L: 1-2
One of those things is not like the other.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:01:57 pm by VirtualBob »
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:07:48 pm »
We are so fortunate to have him, but this trade helped him immensely also.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:43:04 pm »
We are so fortunate to have him, but this trade helped him immensely also.

Agree.   He seemed reinvigorated upon arrival,  and has spoken glowingly of the pitching program in the organization.

His performance has improved,  and beyond just being on a better team.

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:15:27 pm »
Best trade in Astros history?  Yes, you could say Anderson for Bagwell, but the Bagwell Astros never won a world series and there is no way the Astros win the world series without Verlander. 
Boom!

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:32:57 pm »
Best trade in Astros history?  Yes, you could say Anderson for Bagwell, but the Bagwell Astros never won a world series and there is no way the Astros win the world series without Verlander.

Without a doubt the best
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:48:08 pm »
One was the best trade for a pitcher and one was the best trade for a batter.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:09:26 pm »
In the afterglow of last night’s performance, the MLB Central crew off-handedly called it the best trade in MLB history, not just Astros’ history.  I’d say as far as pennant-chase deadline trades go, they are absolutely right.  I’m struggling to think of another that provided the spark and performance leading  to a WS win.  The only other big name deadline deal that ended in a WS win was Schilling to the D-Backs, but the WS win came the year after the deadline deal that brought him to Arizona.
60% of the time... it works everytime.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 02:21:33 pm »
Verlander will always be synonymous with the world series.    As stated above a trade for the ages.  ( a complete aside  is right now the LA Dodgers are in last place swept by the Reds)
forever is composed entirely of nows

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 02:24:08 pm »
If we're only looking at deadline deals that led to the team winning the WS that year...

* Red Sox fans might argue in favor of the deal that brought Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz in 2004 (though neither took a starring role).
* Cardinals fans might point to the June 1964 deal that brought in Lou Brock (though his value was more long-term than immediate).
* Cubs fans might point to the 2016 deal for Aroldis Chapman (domestic violence charges not withstanding).
* The Royals traded for Johnny Cueto and Ben Zobrist in 2015; that might be the closest competitor to the Verlander deal.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 02:25:52 pm »
Verlander will always be synonymous with the world series.    As stated above a trade for the ages.  ( a complete aside  is right now the LA Dodgers are in last place swept by the Reds)
Turner’s only been back for three games (and hit in all of them).  He had a breakout 3-4 today with 2 XBH and 5 RBI. Now that the D-Backs have their own injury issues and have vomited up their breakfast, the Dodgers are actually in decent shape in the NL West.   Don’t put the headstone as the headline just yet. 

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 02:27:09 pm »
If we're only looking at deadline deals that led to the team winning the WS that year...

* Red Sox fans might argue in favor of the deal that brought Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz in 2004 (though neither took a starring role).
* Cardinals fans might point to the June 1964 deal that brought in Lou Brock (though his value was more long-term than immediate).
* Cubs fans might point to the 2016 deal for Aroldis Chapman (domestic violence charges not withstanding).
* The Royals traded for Johnny Cueto and Ben Zobrist in 2015; that might be the closest competitor to the Verlander deal.
Ah yes, how could I freaking forget Cueto. 

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 02:31:56 pm »
Chapman to Cubs never felt like that big of a deal to me.  My lingering memory of him for the Cubs is blowing the save in Game 7.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 07:58:18 am »
O doubt the Cubs win the WS with Rendon closing.