Author Topic: DH and LF  (Read 21736 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
DH and LF
« on: May 02, 2018, 08:35:52 am »
Because the roster changes thread somehow morphed into Hamilton, I am starting this one to try to continue the discussion started in the GZ last night. Some losses do not bother me. Long season, you’re going to lose some, we are winning, blah, blah, blah. Last night’s loss pissed me off. The team played with playoff intensity Monday night but merely went through the motions last night and wasted JV’s brilliance by rolling over in the clutch. Altuve looked like vintage Biggio on sliders low and away. Marvin takes FBs and chases breaking balls in the dirt. Giles? Fuck. He did not have the same confidence and fire we saw Monday...until he got to the dugout. Why 13 pitchers with this rotation? How can they keep running Gattis out there? Sipp is basically a mopup pitcher, and McHugh is wasted and rusting from lack of use. Fisher is nothing but a pinch runner who hits a home run occasionally and strikes out most of the time. Marisnick is a defensive replacement. There are holes in any lineup we put out there, unlike last year. Aoki would be an upgrade.

Intellectually I know an MLB manager and GM cannot look at only one game to base decisions on. I do not know if/when Hinch gets mad, but last night was a good opportunity. This series is a good early season test of where we are, and there are others not far away. Last night exposed our roster issues. Luhnow is much smarter than I so he must see the same things I see. He said last night in response to a Twitter question about possible changes “We are pretty good.”  Yes, we are, but if the goal is multiple WS—and I know it is—we need to be better. Call me impatient, but I do not want to wait until July to get better.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:43:15 am by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
Re: DH and LF
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:49:19 am »
I agree that McHugh is being wasted and Peacock isn't getting the work he needs to stay sharp.  I don't think they should wait because the changes may not work and better to know that now than later. 

My solutions:

DFA Gattis - I love his story, but he's not producing - if he gets picked up good for him, if not put him in AAA and let him figure it out there. 

Send Fisher down, if he doesn't have options, DFA him and wish him luck.  We don't need two Marisnick's on the team.

Bring up Tucker and whichever player/s are hitting the best right now in AAA.

''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:52:31 am »
I agree that McHugh is being wasted and Peacock isn't getting the work he needs to stay sharp.  I don't think they should wait because the changes may not work and better to know that now than later. 

My solutions:

DFA Gattis - I love his story, but he's not producing - if he gets picked up good for him, if not put him in AAA and let him figure it out there. 

Send Fisher down, if he doesn't have options, DFA him and wish him luck.  We don't need two Marisnick's on the team.

Not bad. To this I would add, explore trade options now.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:03:54 am »
Not bad. To this I would add, explore trade options now.

Thanks.  I thought they were good choices,  I got distracted by work and didn't mention that Sipp is the pitcher I'd cut loose.  Just ask Crane to pay off the contract.  At this point, it's wasted money whether he's playing or cut.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:07:16 am »

My solutions:

There are a number of players who are killing it right now in AAA.  None of them are Tucker.  Davis, White, and Kemp are, and they are all on the 40-man roster.  Fisher has options.  If it's me, right now, I'm swapping Fisher for Kemp.  Tucker's not ready and I like Kemp's versatility to pair with Marwin's.

I agree on Gattis.  You have your pick of White and Davis in the org who are on fire at AAA.
Goin' for a bus ride.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:09:38 am »
There are a number of players who are killing it right now in AAA.  None of them are Tucker.  Davis, White, and Kemp are, and they are all on the 40-man roster.  Fisher has options.  If it's me, right now, I'm swapping Fisher for Kemp.  Tucker's not ready and I like Kemp's versatility to pair with Marwin's.

I agree on Gattis.  You have your pick of White and Davis in the org who are on fire at AAA.

I'm good with those three.  I will take your word regarding Tucker - not being ready is different than holding him back because of control reason.

Move Gattis, Fisher, and Sipp, bring up Kemp, White, and Davis.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09:14:39 am »

You are reading my mind because I just looked at Fresno’s stats. Several are hitting well above .300. Tucker is hitting .278 and is second to Reed in Ks. I agree with everything you said, and I will continue to not-so-silently urge Luhnow to explore trade options now.

ETA  Kemp in LF batting 9th is better than what we have now. I agree Tucker does not appear to be ready.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:26:36 am by JimR »

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 09:41:28 am »
You are reading my mind because I just looked at Fresno’s stats. Several are hitting well above .300. Tucker is hitting .278 and is second to Reed in Ks. I agree with everything you said, and I will continue to not-so-silently urge Luhnow to explore trade options now.

ETA  Kemp in LF batting 9th is better than what we have now. I agree Tucker does not appear to be ready.

Kemp hitting 9th would be like a 2nd lead-off hitter.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 11:07:19 am »

My tea leaves say Tucker will not be ready before June.  It could be that he's not ready before 2019.  Either way I have zero doubt he'll be called up when Luhnow thinks he's ready.
Goin' for a bus ride.

The Spleen

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 12:22:49 pm »
This is looking a lot like a return to the 2015-2016 Astros... extreme stars and scrubs lineup, bi-polar offense, shaky bullpen, gotta blow 'em out to win. The one difference is much superior starting pitching. Hopefully the rotation can hold things mostly together for several months. Because that's likely what it will take to get a start on fixing this, with Tucker's slow progress and the baked-in trade cycle based on the July/August deadlines. And if they have any real injury problems, they're fucked.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 04:26:27 pm »

My solutions:

I would be on board with this. The move to DFA Gattis is the first one I would make. I would call up JD Davis and put him in that DH spot. He’s hitting almost .400 in AAA. He would be my DH every single day except when I want to give Altuve and others a slight rest and DH them. He needs the at bats now.

I would deal McHugh for either a LHRP or left fielder depending on the quality of what I could get back in each area. I’m not opposed to sending Fisher and/or Marisnick back down if they don’t start hitting. If Marwin continues to struggle we will have to live with it because of his utility player value. We can survive that if the DH and the left-field spot is solved, but come October we aren’t going far if 2,3 or 4 spots in the order are still an issue. Need to tinker now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 04:30:53 pm »
I would be on board with this. The move to DFA Gattis is the first one I would make. I would call up JD Davis and put him in that DH spot. He’s hitting almost .400 in AAA. He would be my DH every single day except when I want to give Altuve and others a slight rest and DH them. He needs the at bats now.

I would deal McHugh for either a LHRP or left fielder depending on the quality of what I could get back in each area. I’m not opposed to sending Fisher and/or Marisnick back down if they don’t start hitting. If Marwin continues to struggle we will have to live with it because of his utility player value. We can survive that if the DH and the left-field spot is solved, but come October we aren’t going far if 2,3 or 4 spots in the order are still an issue. Need to tinker now!

I really don't want to deal McHugh at least not this early in the season.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 04:48:05 pm »
I really don't want to deal McHugh at least not this early in the season.
I totally understand that sentiment. Honestly, I do feel the same way about McHugh. He is always been one of my favorite Astros over the last few years. Look at his won/loss record since he got here. What he has done is pretty amazing. I do feel however that we have a very valuable asset that we are simply not utilizing and therefore it’s going to waste. While keeping him in our back pocket is a safety net for us, we may actually be hurting his value in the long run by letting him pitch so infrequently out of the pen. It is a thin line to walk there, Especially when we have some needs in other areas.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 04:54:14 pm »
Over 964 at-bats Gattis batting while playing the position of DH from 2015 to now is averaging .232 with 40 doubles and 39 homers.  He'd never shown progressive improvement since being dealt to Houston.  I don't know what the front office was expecting but couldn't have been much.  So, why put him in this position?
Goin' for a bus ride.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 05:03:29 pm »
I totally understand that sentiment. Honestly, I do feel the same way about McHugh. He is always been one of my favorite Astros over the last few years. Look at his won/loss record since he got here. What he has done is pretty amazing. I do feel however that we have a very valuable asset that we are simply not utilizing and therefore it’s going to waste. While keeping him in our back pocket is a safety net for us, we may actually be hurting his value in the long run by letting him pitch so infrequently out of the pen. It is a thin line to walk there, Especially when we have some needs in other areas.

I was moving Sipp from the bullpen, which opened up another bench spot, which also opens up some use for all the pitchers to get more work out of the bullpen.  I just hesitate to move him because i think he's going to be needed for starts at some point this season.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 05:36:36 pm »

I would never trade away good proven starting pitching while contending. You're just temping the baseball gods of you do that. Remember July of last year, when 4/5 starters were on the DL?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 06:07:11 pm »

I would like a different Kemp.  If the Dodgers don’t find it quick (which Will be tough with Seager gone for the year and the D-Backs looking like the real deal), they could start listening to offers. 
60% of the time... it works everytime.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 06:12:24 pm »
Is DH eventually where Yuli will land?

Does that option (if it is one) have an impact on who they look to acquire/ call up this season?

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
DH and LF
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 06:27:35 pm »
I would never trade away good proven starting pitching while contending. You're just temping the baseball gods of you do that. Remember July of last year, when 4/5 starters were on the DL?

I do remember July of last year and except for Fiers, all of those who bailed us out (Peacock, Martes and Paulino) are available to put in the rotation if needed for some emergency starts. I also remember that our offense bailed us out of a lot last July because we were scoring so many runs. This year, I’m much more worried about our offense. We have one of the deepest pitching staff in the game, deep enough that we shouldn’t be afraid to make a move if necessary.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:40:20 pm by TerryPuhl21 »

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 06:32:06 pm »
I would like a different Kemp.  If the Dodgers don’t find it quick (which Will be tough with Seager gone for the year and the D-Backs looking like the real deal), they could start listening to offers.
I have been championing a move for Kemp in other posts over the last couple of weeks. The dude can hit and I would take him in a second. Could you imagine him in left or the DH spot hitting 7th or 8th batting .310 and what that would do for us!?!? The Dodgers tried hard to trade him in the offseason but don’t know how they feel now. Honesty, he’s been one of the few bright spots for them to this point so they may have changed their minds. Acquiring him however would certainly push the timetable on Tucker back some I would think and no one but Luhnow knows for sure what the Tucker timeline is.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 06:37:03 pm »
Is DH eventually where Yuli will land?

Does that option (if it is one) have an impact on who they look to acquire/ call up this season?
Is JD Davis a better fielder than Yuli??? If so, all the more reason to get Davis up here and DFA Gattis, then let Yuli gets most of his AB’s at DH.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
DH and LF
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 06:38:43 pm »

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:41:01 pm by TerryPuhl21 »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 06:46:48 pm »
Is JD Davis a better fielder than Yuli??? If so, all the more reason to get Davis up here and DFA Gattis, then let Yuli gets most of his AB’s at DH.

I don’t think Davis is better than Yuli at anything, a least right now. But he’s better than Gattis at everything. I think Davis can be be a .260-.280ish/25 HR run producer in say the 5th or 6th spot in the lineup.  I’d swap Davis and Gattis in a heartbeat. I also agree with losing a pitcher and acquiring an outfielder.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 06:58:52 pm »
I do remember July of last year and except for Fiers, all of those who bailed us out (Peacock, Martes and Paulino) are available to put in the rotation if needed for some emergency starts. I also remember that our offense bailed us out of a lot last July because we were scoring so many runs. This year, I’m much more worried about our offense. We have one of the deepest pitching staff in the game, deep enough that we shouldn’t be afraid to make a move if necessary.

I'd much rather have McHugh than martes or paulino or anyone in the minors and as much as I love peacock I think he needs to stay in the bullpen where he has the most value. Mchugh isn't going to bring in a starting caliber outfielder and that is the only way you even think about that deal. No, I'd rather keep mchugh and explore other options for left field and DH

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 07:01:53 pm »
I'd be shopping Martes pretty hard right now in the hopes that somebody out there thinks they can solve his command issues. Of course, I'm assuming that Whitley comes back and gets back on track.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 08:06:50 am »
I don’t think Davis is better than Yuli at anything, a least right now. But he’s better than Gattis at everything. I think Davis can be be a .260-.280ish/25 HR run producer in say the 5th or 6th spot in the lineup.  I’d swap Davis and Gattis in a heartbeat. I also agree with losing a pitcher and acquiring an outfielder.

Yuli is a great first baseman.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 08:09:10 am »

Sigh. Marisnick is not on this team because of hitting.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 11:19:00 am »
Sigh. Marisnick is not on this team because of hitting.

Accurate.  But he's playing 3-4 times a week lately (mostly because of Fisher's struggles), so it magnifies his weak hitting.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 11:21:28 am »
Accurate.  But he's playing 3-4 times a week lately (mostly because of Fisher's struggles), so it magnifies his weak hitting.

He's starting today against Tanaka.  I'm not one to second guess Luhnow, but this clear indictment of Fisher has me wondering what they're waiting for.  Swapping Fisher for Kemp would not hurt the Astros and can only help Fisher.
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 11:32:43 am »
He's starting today against Tanaka.  I'm not one to second guess Luhnow, but this clear indictment of Fisher has me wondering what they're waiting for.  Swapping Fisher for Kemp would not hurt the Astros and can only help Fisher.

I don't think Fisher has a bigger fan than Luhnow because of his skill sets.  But Hinch makes out the lineup card.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 11:40:13 am »
I don't think Fisher has a bigger fan than Luhnow because of his skill sets.  But Hinch makes out the lineup card.

But you know they talk regularly.  After today's game Marisnick will have nearly as many at-bats against righties as Fisher.
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 11:47:31 am »
But you know they talk regularly.  After today's game Marisnick will have nearly as many at-bats against righties as Fisher.

And I don't understand that. Fisher may be better off in AAA getting ABs.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 01:00:21 pm »
Allow me to bang my “DH is the biggest problem” drum:

When I looked a day or two ago, Fisher had a higher SLG than Bregman, Yuli, or Gattis.

I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 02:27:20 pm »
Agreed. Only thing I can think of is perhaps they don't want to send a message to the team that they are panicking. But really, how many players would be surprised if Fisher was sent down to get regular ABs (and hopefully right the ship)?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 02:33:49 pm »
Agreed. Only thing I can think of is perhaps they don't want to send a message to the team that they are panicking. But really, how many players would be surprised if Fisher was sent down to get regular ABs (and hopefully right the ship)?

Sending struggling players with options down is SOP.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 06:43:54 pm »
Allow me to bang my “DH is the biggest problem” drum:

When I looked a day or two ago, Fisher had a higher SLG than Bregman, Yuli, or Gattis.

Do not throw Yuli under that bus. He has been hitting rockets at people.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 07:13:43 pm »
Do not throw Yuli under that bus. He has been hitting rockets at people.

Yuli seems to be the type that can roll out of bed and hit line drives.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 07:23:12 pm »
Sending struggling players with options down is SOP.
I'm with you, I'm just scratching my head trying to come up with some explanation why Fisher isn't in Fresno.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 07:37:21 pm »
Davis went 3-5 with a HBP and 3 RBI in Fresno's double-header today. He's now batting .405/.458/.635 with 3 HR and 19 RBI in 19 games there. Lately he's been mostly playing 3B, with 5 games in LF mixed in. Only 4 putouts in those LF games so I'm curious how he looks out there.

I agree that he appears to be an upgrade over Gattis at this point, but they seem very reluctant to cut bait on Evan.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 10:15:59 pm »
The Mets are DESPERATE for a catcher.  Send them Gattis.  I know that Gattis is not a good defensive catcher.  But he is competent and significantly better than what they are throwing out there -- Nido, Lobaton.  Get a couple low level prospects in exchange. 

Bring up Davis primarily to DH.  And then you can bring up whoever you want to play LF.  You don't want to bring up Tucker, fine, bring up Kemp.  Or bring up Ferguson.  And let these guys play every day.  Stop giving starts to Marisnick.  Marisnick should be limited to defensive replacement and pinch running for McCann.

Send Fisher down to AAA and let him get regular at bats. 
Boom!

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 09:31:54 am »
It's the Comical, I know, but the quotes from Luhnow and Hinch are enlightening.

In short, Fisher's leash is fairly long.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 09:47:00 am »
so its ok to keep players in triple a who would play  better than the fish but even tho the astros are loosing games, needs a better bat it is ok to let him stay up and learn?
double speak at its best. where is the skeleton buried?
forever is composed entirely of nows

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 11:02:56 am »
Sounds like they havea plan and they're gonna stick to it.

Anybody ever hear a reason Stassi got the start the other night against the righty?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 11:15:38 am »
Sounds like they havea plan and they're gonna stick to it.

Anybody ever hear a reason Stassi got the start the other night against the righty?

I thought it was so McCann could catch McCullers on Thursday afternoon.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 12:48:18 pm »
I thought it was so McCann could catch McCullers on Thursday afternoon.

Makes sense.   Just curious. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2018, 01:21:36 pm »
Makes sense.   Just curious.

I have no information.  That was only my assumption. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 01:29:38 pm »
It's the Comical, I know, but the quotes from Luhnow and Hinch are enlightening.

At least Hinch pointed out how Fisher has been too passive at the plate at times, and he needs to work on that. Perhaps management can be a little too passive at times, as well.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2018, 01:55:07 pm »

smh

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2018, 10:22:39 pm »
JD Davis now hitting .4-fucking-25 with 11 doubles and 24 RBI in just 22 games with Fresno.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2018, 11:51:44 am »
JD Davis now hitting .4-fucking-25 with 11 doubles and 24 RBI in just 22 games with Fresno.
I know. This is a damn joke and it is pissing me off. I don’t know why Gattis is still in the lineup. Do they not want to eat the money? Is that why he hasn’t been DFA’d?? No one is trading for him unless you could get the Mets to take him in exchange for Matt Harvey because they can always use catching help. Problem is, we don’t need Harvey.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2018, 12:04:35 pm »
I know and understand this is a business but it almost seems personal with gattis. what else could be the reason.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2018, 12:24:29 pm »
I know. This is a damn joke and it is pissing me off. I don’t know why Gattis is still in the lineup. Do they not want to eat the money? Is that why he hasn’t been DFA’d??

My guess is that they're trying not to overreact 36 games into the season and cast aside someone who has hit about 30 home runs in two of his three seasons in the uniform.  Also, Gattis was awful in April 2015 (.164/.197/.288, 3 BB, 24 K), then he hit nine home runs the next month.

You can build a case for Gattis.  Fisher is harder to defend.

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2018, 03:00:41 pm »
The Astros are 10th in batting average and 7th in runs scored in the AL.  I'm itching for Gattis and Fisher to have a short leash.   And sadly, until Marwin can hit a breaking ball, he should not play everyday.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:32:58 pm by Greg M »

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2018, 03:31:57 pm »
Davis went 16 for 27 last week in Fresno.
7 doubles,  a homer,  13 RBI.

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2018, 03:38:45 pm »
And Tucker hit .360 this week.  Hopefully he's ready i a month or so.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 10:56:35 am »
Fisher over the last two weeks: .315 average (6/19) with a double and three home runs.

I haven't been able to watch much -- does it look like things might be clicking for him? Or is that a fluky improvement/small sample size?
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2018, 11:07:43 am »
Fisher over the last two weeks: .315 average (6/19) with a double and three home runs.

I haven't been able to watch much -- does it look like things might be clicking for him? Or is that a fluky improvement/small sample size?

Small sample size.  He's also 2 for his last 9 with 5 K's.  The two hits were a homer and a double.

He finished April going 4 for 10 with 2 homers but 5 K's over 3 games.  That's his only good stretch of the year.  Take out those 3 games and his 2018 batting average is .146. 
Goin' for a bus ride.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 11:50:10 am »

It looks to me like he is being a little more aggressive at the plate the last few games. Rather than watching fastballs go by and getting down in the count, he’s going up there swinging. Perfect example was the pinch hit double the other night. First pitch fastball that he turned on. We’ll see if it continues.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 11:22:17 pm »
so its ok to keep players in triple a who would play  better than the fish but even tho the astros are loosing games, needs a better bat it is ok to let him stay up and learn?
double speak at its best. where is the skeleton buried?

I know and understand this is a business but it almost seems personal with gattis. what else could be the reason.

I have nothing to add to the discussion of what should be done at designated hitter or left field, but I have had a revelation that would explain a lot from the last 20 years: Fredia is a Russian bot.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:24:17 pm by Arky Vaughan »

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2018, 11:46:52 pm »
Cajun Analytica.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 07:54:03 am »
Cajun Analytica.

Ебена мать

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 08:27:24 am »
After this note, I will resume posting JD Davis updates in the Bus Ride forum, rather than here:
Davis 3-for-4 with another double and two walks yesterday as Fresno pounds out 18 Hits. Now batting .432 with an 1.149 OPS.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:39:04 am by Reuben »

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2018, 03:34:29 pm »

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2018, 03:34:52 pm »

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2018, 08:54:49 pm »
Ебена мать
Depending on what language you were trying to use, that is either incorrect or indecipherable.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2018, 09:59:30 pm »
I got it to work:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&ei=gqfzWpmSC6XKjwT9gZ6gDA&q=Ебена+мать+translate+&oq=Ебена+мать+translate+&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3..33i160.2488.6929..7683...0....118.412.1j3......0....1.........35i39j0i22i30.znIIwSfxFHw%3D
Only if you mean by "work" that it gave you a translation completely unrelated to the vocabulary used and that the "detection" of Russian is highly suspect. It MIGHT be byelorussian - adjective pattern matches. And the noun could be Russian or Ukrainian. Hint: the noun is "mother".

The correct Russian phrase closest to the original would be: Ёб твою мать but the adjective (or participle) in the original is not Russian.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2018, 10:05:18 pm »
Only if you mean by "work" that it gave you a translation completely unrelated to the vocabulary used and that the "detection" of Russian is highly suspect. It MIGHT be byelorussian - adjective pattern matches. And the noun could be Russian or Ukrainian. Hint: the noun is "mother".

The correct Russian phrase closest to the original would be: Ёб твою мать but the adjective (or participle) in the original is not Russian.

How many languages do you speak?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2018, 10:28:05 pm »

Well, sure, if you you want to be a stickler.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2018, 10:37:31 pm »
Well, sure, if you you want to be a stickler.
All I am saying is that "Holy shit" has absolutely nothing to do with the phrase in question. Many years ago I actually co-authored a dictionary of Russian obscenities, so I do have some expertise here. A very strange thing to be an expert in, granted.
Up in the Air

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2018, 01:40:10 am »
Пиздец.
Y todo lo que sube baja

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2018, 01:41:30 am »
Depending on what language you were trying to use, that is either incorrect or indecipherable.

By the way, I knew what he was saying. Maybe you could pray on it.
Y todo lo que sube baja

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2018, 01:59:57 am »
Another thing, I of course own the title 'A Short Dictionary of Russian Obscenities.' Time was I referred to it quite eagerly. Sadly, I strayed from that pursuit not realizing just how useful it might one day become.

Anyway, out of curiosity, Bob, which are you, David Drummond or Gareth Perkins?
Y todo lo que sube baja

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2018, 07:39:42 am »
Пиздец.
Now that is proper Russian.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2018, 07:42:12 am »
By the way, I knew what he was saying. Maybe you could pray on it.
I knew what he was trying to say, too. Not sure why prayer is needed.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2018, 07:43:49 am »
Another thing, I of course own the title 'A Short Dictionary of Russian Obscenities.' Time was I referred to it quite eagerly. Sadly, I strayed from that pursuit not realizing just how useful it might one day become.

Anyway, out of curiosity, Bob, which are you, David Drummond or Gareth Perkins?

Actually mine was classified based on its usage in a signals intelligence effort long ago and far away.
Up in the Air

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2018, 08:37:15 am »
I say Da in agreement.. umm I meant yes, of couse I meant yes

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2018, 08:54:09 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht9lU-mgrEo

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2018, 09:07:35 am »
I love this group. From Hamilton to proper Russian swearing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:17:08 am by Sphinx Drummond »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2018, 09:55:01 am »
I love this group. From Hamilton to proper Russian swearing.

And I came here thinking it was just about Astros DH and LF production.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2018, 10:35:52 am »
Anyway, someone else will now have to mention things like JD Davis going 4-for-5 (to raise his average to .450) as his Fresno comrades punished the Las Vegas team. I promised I was done with that.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2018, 11:05:59 am »
Anyway, someone else will now have to mention things like JD Davis going 4-for-5 (to raise his average to .450) as his Fresno comrades punished the Las Vegas team. I promised I was done with that.
I guess I've just been reading this board mindlessly for a while—I think I assumed I'd just been reading the same old "JD Davis had a good game" post over and over. But nope, holy shit, that's one hell of a tear.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2018, 01:04:17 pm »
I have to believe that Gattis is feeling the heat.
He breezed him, one more time!

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2018, 03:59:30 pm »
Can Gattis fake an injury, then go do a rehab assignment in AAA. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2018, 04:10:31 pm »
ride off in the sunset and never be heard from again?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2018, 04:15:04 pm »

Yeah, he never did anything to help the Astros, did he?

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2018, 04:56:14 pm »
Yeah, he never did anything to help the Astros, did he?

Well said. Plus, I’m sure that there’s no possible way he’ll help the team this year either. Clearly we’ve seen enough of this season to make that decision...

The hand wringing over the bottom third of the lineup has been a bit silly at times in here. If the team scores 4 runs in a week that’s squarely on the heart of the order not the likes of Marisnick, Fisher, and Gattis.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2018, 04:59:51 pm »
Well said. Plus, I’m sure that there’s no possible way he’ll help the team this year either. Clearly we’ve seen enough of this season to make that decision...

The hand wringing over the bottom third of the lineup has been a bit silly at times in here. If the team scores 4 runs in a week that’s squarely on the heart of the order not the likes of Marisnick, Fisher, and Gattis.

I am in favor of a productive DH and another hitter for DH or LF. If it is not Gattis, he still should be treated with respect. As I recall, he hit a pretty big home run in Game 7 v. NYY.

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2018, 05:09:09 pm »
I am in favor of a productive DH and another hitter for DH or LF. If it is not Gattis, he still should be treated with respect. As I recall, he hit a pretty big home run in Game 7 v. NYY.

He’ll be productive again this year. It’s still early(ish). There will be plenty of “CAPTAIN CAaaAAAVEMAaaaAn!!” In the GZ this year.

Agreed on another hitter. That can’t possibly hurt. But there’s plenty of vaunting ability on the current roster and I choose to focus any “fault” on 1-6 if they get shut out by scrub pitchers and scrub teams and fault no one when they get their asses handed to them by someone like Severino.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2018, 05:41:26 pm »
He’ll be productive again this year. It’s still early(ish). There will be plenty of “CAPTAIN CAaaAAAVEMAaaaAn!!” In the GZ this year.

Agreed on another hitter. That can’t possibly hurt. But there’s plenty of vaunting ability on the current roster and I choose to focus any “fault” on 1-6 if they get shut out by scrub pitchers and scrub teams and fault no one when they get their asses handed to them by someone like Severino.

Well, perhaps, but the difference between 2017 and every other Astros team was 7-8-9. There were no easy outs in the lineup.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2018, 06:02:02 pm »
Well, perhaps, but the difference between 2017 and every other Astros team was 7-8-9. There were no easy outs in the lineup.
Very true. And Gattis ain’t no Adam Everett. His only purpose on the team is to hit.

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2018, 06:09:22 pm »
Very true. And Gattis ain’t no Adam Everett. His only purpose on the team is to hit.

I think he will.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2018, 07:18:49 pm »
I think he will.
I think he better start.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2018, 08:43:13 pm »
I think he will.

I wish I shared your optimism.
Goin' for a bus ride.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2018, 07:12:03 am »

That, and an uncanny ability to hit with RISP, especially with 2 outs.

I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2018, 08:00:43 am »

We should have this framed alongside photos of the 2017 team.  The single biggest reason that Astros team was more successful was because they could start rallies and drive in runs from every spot in the lineup.  They could score from "anywhere", so to speak and it kept them in games and gave them the ability to both get early leads and score late and come from behind to win games most teams could not.  While I agree that's rare, and expectations of the 7-8-9 may be tempered, they were the key to success, and without more production from those spots, this team may well end up being your average, run of the mill 93 win team.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2018, 09:14:08 am »
We should have this framed alongside photos of the 2017 team.  The single biggest reason that Astros team was more successful was because they could start rallies and drive in runs from every spot in the lineup.  They could score from "anywhere", so to speak and it kept them in games and gave them the ability to both get early leads and score late and come from behind to win games most teams could not.  While I agree that's rare, and expectations of the 7-8-9 may be tempered, they were the key to success, and without more production from those spots, this team may well end up being your average, run of the mill 93 win team.
This.
Up in the Air

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2018, 01:11:52 pm »
The pitching was OK too, and I thought the American League MVP did a good job.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2018, 01:55:43 pm »
Not to get into a battle of what was more important,  but this is from June 6 last year:

"The Astros 7-8-9 hitters are batting 20 points higher in batting average and 40 points higher in slugging percentage than the average 3-4-5 hitters in the rest of baseball."

I think the trend held up the rest of the year but my half assed search didn't find that info.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2018, 03:24:47 pm »

Given how he's been hitting the last three games, you have to be feeling pretty foolish about this insipid remark.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2018, 07:02:48 pm »
I think he will.

You must have known something.

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2018, 10:48:00 pm »
You must have known something.

I watched the games just like you. His timing was there before I posted and I saw it coming. No guarantees on how long it’ll last but he had some good swings before this mini breakout. I remember seeing the same thing last year when everyone was freaking out about Correa.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2018, 11:47:29 pm »
Even with the offensive woes at the bottom of the order and at home, this team still has the best run differential in the majors by a good margin. If they get their act straight top to bottom at the plate, they have a strong probability of obliterating the rest of the league.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2018, 10:20:59 am »
Yeah, I'm not terribly concerned with the big picture offensively.  Last year's team was a once in a generation type of team.  We can't keep comparing this year to last year.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2018, 11:55:37 am »
Yeah, I'm not terribly concerned with the big picture offensively.  Last year's team was a once in a generation type of team.  We can't keep comparing this year to last year.
While I generally agree with this take, if this team still has the bottom third of the order struggling to hit .200 come September, the season will not end like we want it to.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2018, 12:02:57 pm »
Last I looked, it wasn't only the bottom third who was slumping, relative to their ability.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2018, 12:19:28 pm »
Last I looked, it wasn't only the bottom third who was slumping, relative to their ability.

This is my biggest concern/cause for hope.   Collective slumps for hitters 1-5 on this team shouldn't last long.

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2018, 12:20:57 pm »
The team OBP is good. SLG is dismal outside of Springer and Correa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2018, 02:06:09 pm »
The team OBP is good. SLG is dismal outside of Springer and Correa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Part of that, in my opinion, is because several of the hitters are taking too many meatballs, throughout the count.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2018, 09:46:01 am »
Part of that, in my opinion, is because several of the hitters are taking too many meatballs, throughout the count.
Yes.  Patience can be good, but only in moderation.
Up in the Air

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2018, 05:02:04 pm »
I forget which inning it was last night, but it was pretty much a microcosm of the Astros' offense so far this year. Gattis leads off with a double, and the next three guys not only don't drive him in, they don't even put the ball in play. And not only do they not put the ball in play, they don't even touch it: no foul balls, no foul tips, nothing. It was pathetic.

For crying out loud, even the KC guy hit a bouncing ball last night. Or maybe it was the Tampa guy against KC. Whatever, it was funny.

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2018, 05:17:05 pm »
I forget which inning it was last night, but it was pretty much a microcosm of the Astros' offense so far this year. Gattis leads off with a double, and the next three guys not only don't drive him in, they don't even put the ball in play. And not only do they not put the ball in play, they don't even touch it: no foul balls, no foul tips, nothing. It was pathetic.

For crying out loud, even the KC guy hit a bouncing ball last night. Or maybe it was the Tampa guy against KC. Whatever, it was funny.

I’m sure I’ll regret saying this, but it’ll be ok folks. This offense will wake up. This stretch will be a dim memory a month from now.

Relax... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i0GW0Vnr9Yc

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
DH and LF
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2018, 08:21:25 pm »

This morning on the leadoff spot on MLB Radio, Steve Phillips and CJ were talking about the strikeout phenomenon that is ruining our sport. Who were their poster children for what is going on?? Jake Marisnick and Derek Fisher, but specifically Marisnick. Evidently, Jake is on the verge of MLB history. He currently has 41 strikeouts and 1 walk. That is the second worst strikeout to walk ratio in the history of the game. The worst was some guy CJ had played with briefly whose name escapes me, but it was 48 to 1.

I really think this is the root of our problem. If we were striking out half as less, like last year, there is no telling how many more wins we would have right now. I don’t care how good Jake is on defense, you can’t tell me hasn’t cost us more runs so far than he has saved. Don’t even try. I will agree to be patient with this as long as we can stay at or near the top of the division until later in the season, but we will NOT hang around long if we don’t make changes in the long run.

The question becomes, how long do we wait  to see if some of these guys turn it around or is what we see now how their season is going to go? Obviously as long as we are at or near the top you can give them time to turn it around, but at some point if it doesn’t improve you will have to make changes (Tucker, Davis, etal.) You will need to give the call ups enough time and at bats to see if they can be relied on come fall. I don’t think you can wait until July or August. In my opinion, if the bottom third of this order is still struggling come June 1st, then what you see at that point is what they will be this year. That is a plenty large enough sample size to make a decision.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:27:26 pm by TerryPuhl21 »

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2018, 11:12:36 pm »
Part of the problem is the league has made a concerted effort to throw the Astros’ hitters a heavy dose of breaking balls, and the Astros have done a poor job of forcing pitchers into fastball counts, or jumping on hittable fastballs early in counts.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2018, 12:46:29 am »
McTaggart tweets Jake to Fresno.   Would have bet on Fisher.  Corresponding roster move to be announced tomorrow. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:51 am »
McTaggart tweets Jake to Fresno.   Would have bet on Fisher.  Corresponding roster move to be announced tomorrow.

I do not disagree with the rationale of getting ABs to try to get going, but Jake is not on the roster to hit. Fisher is and is leading a charmed life to still be in Houston.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2018, 05:52:03 am »
This is the correct move regarding Jake. My only issue is Fish should be going with him.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2018, 07:12:23 am »
I do not disagree with the rationale of getting ABs to try to get going, but Jake is not on the roster to hit. Fisher is and is leading a charmed life to still be in Houston.
He has pictures of somebody's ranch?
Up in the Air

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2018, 11:30:30 am »
Kaplan reporting that Kemp is getting the call.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2018, 11:54:35 am »
Kaplan reporting that Kemp is getting the call.

He would be the most logical choice.
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2018, 12:05:06 pm »
He would be the most logical choice.

To continue to beat the dead horse...not sure what Kemp is going to bring to the table, other than he's an outfielder.  They need a bat.  Davis is a far better choice, if they weren't stubbornly insistent on more than half the roster being pitchers...

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2018, 12:12:47 pm »
To continue to beat the dead horse...not sure what Kemp is going to bring to the table, other than he's an outfielder.  They need a bat.  Davis is a far better choice, if they weren't stubbornly insistent on more than half the roster being pitchers...
Kemp puts the bat on the ball which has been a weakness this year.  I'm not going to argue whether he is better than Davis, but if they want to reduce strikeouts, it is understandable.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2018, 12:15:38 pm »

Davis isn't a defender.  Kemp is the most logical because of the defense, speed, and versatility, and the very clear fact that Fisher is getting every opportunity to claim left field.

Also, on the pitching front, until Luhnow is willing to throw away a contract there's no one in the bullpen that you'd want to send down.
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2018, 12:29:26 pm »
Davis isn't a defender.  Kemp is the most logical because of the defense, speed, and versatility, and the very clear fact that Fisher is getting every opportunity to claim left field.

Also, on the pitching front, until Luhnow is willing to throw away a contract there's no one in the bullpen that you'd want to send down.

Agreed it's logical when you put so many restrictions on yourself.  But those are self-imposed restrictions, and I like to complain. 

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2018, 12:42:02 pm »
Agreed it's logical when you put so many restrictions on yourself.  But those are self-imposed restrictions, and I like to complain.

Check, check, and CHECK.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2018, 12:45:10 pm »

More fun with the bullpen.  All of the bullpen arms, except for Sipp, are under contract or club control through at least 2019.  Meaning the bullpen next year will be all or nearly all right-handed again unless trades are made.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2018, 12:55:54 pm »

Davis has lost 50 points on his BA in a short period of time. He is a DH/1B. I think Kemp is the logical and best choice for a 4th OFer.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2018, 12:57:49 pm »
Up in the Air

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2018, 01:46:51 pm »
My only quibble is that I’d prefer to have a RH bat if Fisher is sticking around.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2018, 02:22:43 pm »
My only quibble is that I’d prefer to have a RH bat if Fisher is sticking around.

Tags said we face mostly righties over the next several days.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2018, 02:24:34 pm »
Davis has lost 50 points on his BA in a short period of time. He is a DH/1B. I think Kemp is the logical and best choice for a 4th OFer.
I agree, and yes Kemp is the obvious choice given the roster makeup. HOWEVER, we heard all this talk about Yuli moving around in the preseason and I think he’s been at first base every game save one perhaps. If it was I making the decision, I would call up Davis, let him play first and put Yuli in left. He’s played there before. It isn’t foreign to him. I would give Davis 2-3 good weeks of at bats playing first and DH’ing when possible and see what happens. The kid has earned his shot and needs more than a handful of AB’s in a week up here.

You can all rip me to shreds now. [emoji12]

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2018, 02:55:20 pm »
we heard all this talk about Yuli moving around in the preseason and I think he’s been at first base every game save one perhaps.

That was before Gurriel's hand injury. According to Hinch, that cost him the spring training time he needed to try new positions.

(And FWIW, he hasn't played any other defensive position besides 1b this year.)
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2018, 03:02:48 pm »
I agree, and yes Kemp is the obvious choice given the roster makeup. HOWEVER, we heard all this talk about Yuli moving around in the preseason and I think he’s been at first base every game save one perhaps. If it was I making the decision, I would call up Davis, let him play first and put Yuli in left. He’s played there before. It isn’t foreign to him. I would give Davis 2-3 good weeks of at bats playing first and DH’ing when possible and see what happens. The kid has earned his shot and needs more than a handful of AB’s in a week up here.

Oh, fuck no. This is not APBA played with cards.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2018, 03:03:41 pm »

We have plenty of RH bats.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2018, 03:27:44 pm »
We have plenty of RH bats.

To clarify, they don’t have many RH bats available to come off the bench for a late-inning PH opportunity.

The team will often have some combination of Marwin, Reddick, McCann, Fisher, and Kemp batting at the bottom of the order against a RH SP. If the opposing manager brings in a LRP to face the bottom half of the lineup and the Astros need a key hit, our PH options will usually be either Gattis or Marwin hitting from the right side (.244 slugging this season). Stassi will need to be saved as a back-up catcher. If Gattis is DH (29 GS this season), the only options will be Fisher, Kemp, and righty Marwin.

Again, I’m fine with the choice, but think it would have been preferable if the best choice was also a RH batter. Basically, this is an issue created by carrying a lot of pitchers and staying set on keeping Fisher in the bigs.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2018, 04:04:11 pm »
To clarify, they don’t have many RH bats available to come off the bench for a late-inning PH opportunity.

The team will often have some combination of Marwin, Reddick, McCann, Fisher, and Kemp batting at the bottom of the order against a RH SP. If the opposing manager brings in a LRP to face the bottom half of the lineup and the Astros need a key hit, our PH options will usually be either Gattis or Marwin hitting from the right side (.244 slugging this season). Stassi will need to be saved as a back-up catcher. If Gattis is DH (29 GS this season), the only options will be Fisher, Kemp, and righty Marwin.

Again, I’m fine with the choice, but think it would have been preferable if the best choice was also a RH batter. Basically, this is an issue created by carrying a lot of pitchers and staying set on keeping Fisher in the bigs.

Hard to disagree with any of this, but McCann is hitting this year, and Stassi  is holding his own. Kemp is the best option for a 4th OFer, but like many others, I think we have too many pitchers and need another professional hitter.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2018, 05:12:42 pm »

When did yuli last play left? In Cuba? That's a long time and I'm not really wanting to be just sticking guys in a position because they played there a bit 5 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2018, 05:58:37 pm »
When did yuli last play left? In Cuba? That's a long time and I'm not really wanting to be just sticking guys in a position because they played there a bit 5 years ago.

He played there once in 2016 for the Astros.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2018, 11:27:45 pm »
Hard to disagree with any of this, but McCann is hitting this year, and Stassi  is holding his own. Kemp is the best option for a 4th OFer, but like many others, I think we have too many pitchers and need another professional hitter.
Heard during yesterday’s broadcast that the Astros are getting the best combined offense from the catcher’s spot in MLB.  Maybe I misheard, but it feels about right. 

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2018, 08:29:27 am »
Heard during yesterday’s broadcast that the Astros are getting the best combined offense from the catcher’s spot in MLB.  Maybe I misheard, but it feels about right.

.282 average (4th)
.376 OBP (3rd)
.456 SLG (6th)
.832 OPS (5th)

Not the best, but certainly up there.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2018, 10:59:23 pm »
In case anyone wondered how JD Davis would respond to not getting a call-up, he hit for the cycle tonight. Drove in 5 of Fresno’s 9 runs, and added a walk for good measure. Average back up to .425.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2018, 11:17:54 am »
JD is on the way.  Corresponding move TBA.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2018, 11:24:11 am »
I’m intrigued as to who he is replacing.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2018, 11:38:37 am »
I wonder if Reddick is about to head to the DL.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2018, 11:54:42 am »
I wonder if Reddick is about to head to the DL.
That would be the best guess. Should know shortly.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2018, 11:58:10 am »
JD is on the way.  Corresponding move TBA.
Good. He's Earned It™!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:01:52 pm by Sphinx Drummond »

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2018, 01:25:16 pm »
Huh. Kaplan says Fisher to the DL.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2018, 01:39:00 pm »
I wonder if he injured a wrist or something on that catch against the CF wall.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2018, 01:51:48 pm »
GI discomfort is what they are going with.  Sounds like a reason for home to get some rehab ABs in AAA.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2018, 01:53:05 pm »
GI discomfort is what they are going with.  Sounds like a reason for home to get some rehab ABs in AAA.

That was the best they could come up with?

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2018, 02:19:56 pm »
That was the best they could come up with?

Maybe not HIS GI discomfort...it’s everyone else’s stomach churning when he’s in the lineup. Just kidding, hope he feels better and then gets some regular ABs at triple A w Jake. We will likely need both of them at some point.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2018, 02:30:57 pm »
I wonder what is causing the discomfort? Hopefully it is easily treatable.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2018, 02:48:16 pm »
Figured pneumonia from the breeze generated by all the swings and misses.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2018, 02:57:05 pm »

Ha.  No mercy.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2018, 03:37:11 pm »

It certainly isn't walking pneumonia.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2018, 04:49:01 pm »
this site is beyond amazing.  Maybe not the walking pneumonia  but maybe the boogie woogie blu

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2018, 05:42:49 pm »
To be fair,  he also took a lot of strikes.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2018, 10:46:38 am »

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:07 am »
"Astros' Derek Fisher suffering from digestive issues, weight loss"
https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-Derek-Fisher-suffering-from-digestive-12929639.php
Colitis? Crohns? Diverticulitis? Peritonitis? Or maybe he just ate some bad seafood.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2018, 03:07:21 pm »
Colitis? Crohns? Diverticulitis? Peritonitis? Or maybe he just ate some bad seafood.

I've got Crohn's, and dropping noticeable weight in a short period of time is definitely par for that course.  Diekmann from the Rangers has colitis that kept him out all year last year.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2018, 10:24:47 am »

Throat reaction to a medication.
Goin' for a bus ride.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2018, 10:18:19 am »
Hanley Ramirez DFA’d. 

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2018, 04:38:17 pm »
HOWEVER, we heard all this talk about Yuli moving around in the preseason and I think he’s been at first base every game save one perhaps. If it was I making the decision, I would call up Davis, let him play first and put Yuli in left.

Gurriel at 3b tonight -- second straight game with him at 3b and Davis at 1b. Bregman was off last night; Correa off tonight, with Bregman at SS.

Trying to get Davis some consistent ABs?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2018, 04:40:58 pm »
Gurriel at 3b tonight -- second straight game with him at 3b and Davis at 1b. Bregman was off last night; Correa off tonight, with Bregman at SS.

I believe it was Hinch's point that guys would get some time off right now and the benefit was getting Davis into more games.
Goin' for a bus ride.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2018, 05:23:43 pm »

Yes, along with resting some. Hinch said on radio today that Davis will play a lot the next week to 10 days with 7 lefties coming up on our schedule.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2018, 06:55:34 pm »
Fisher activated and optioned to AAA.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2018, 08:03:35 am »
Fisher activated and optioned to AAA.
Finally.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2018, 11:37:44 am »
Finally.

I hope he hits .600 and is attractive trade bait.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2018, 11:43:19 am »

The bullpen has been so ineffective that I'm starting to go all Tod-the-Bod with trade ideas. The leader in the clubhouse is trading Keuchel to somebody for prospects and then trading prospects to somebody/somebodies for bullpen help. I may need help.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2018, 12:06:17 pm »
The bullpen has been so ineffective that I'm starting to go all Tod-the-Bod with trade ideas. The leader in the clubhouse is trading Keuchel to somebody for prospects and then trading prospects to somebody/somebodies for bullpen help. I may need help.

My more simple solution is make Devo/Peacock/Smith/Rondon the 7th and 8th inning guys, and have Harris mop up for awhile.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2018, 12:13:16 pm »
Right on!

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2018, 01:32:05 pm »
My more simple solution is make Devo/Peacock/Smith/Rondon the 7th and 8th inning guys, and have Harris mop up for awhile.

As soon as the leverage needle moves,  a non-Harris option needs to be used.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2018, 02:31:25 pm »

As soon as Luhnow and Hinch see a long string of righty starters coming I expect Davis to be sent down and Fisher brought up.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2018, 02:55:14 pm »
As soon as Luhnow and Hinch see a long string of righty starters coming I expect Davis to be sent down and Fisher brought up.

You, sir, are Debbie Downer.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2018, 06:05:47 pm »
You, sir, are Debbie Downer.

I have little faith that a deadline deal of any magnitude will happen.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2018, 10:15:00 pm »
I have little faith that a deadline deal of any magnitude will happen.

Did you predict Verlander?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2018, 10:20:58 pm »
Did you predict Verlander?

I did not but I also did not think nothing would happen.  Luhnow doesn't see things the way I do though so...
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2018, 09:59:13 pm »
Reddick active tomorrow. Davis to be sent down. So says a McBrag tweet.
Goin' for a bus ride.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2018, 09:24:04 am »
Still looking for a DH?  Gattis is making a case for June POM.  What an amazing turnaround. 

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2018, 10:34:59 am »
Still looking for a DH?  Gattis is making a case for June POM.  What an amazing turnaround.

Slugged .609 in May, slugging .721 in June so far.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2018, 10:41:40 am »

I think May 12 way the date the broadcast used: 7 rbi for the season to that date, 35 since then.

They pointed out some stance adjustments:
1. Not quite as spread out
2. Slightly more upright

Of course the big adjustment was smashing the crap out ofthe ball.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2018, 12:29:34 pm »

Apparently, once the calendar turns from April to May, Evan Gattis turns into Captain Caveman.  Seems to be an ecery year thing as an Astro.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2018, 12:57:35 pm »

A LH option would not hurt, but I am glad Gattis turned it around.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2018, 01:09:55 pm »
A LH option would not hurt, but I am glad Gattis turned it around.

Wonder if McCann will do some to save some wear and tear for September.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2018, 01:17:16 pm »
Not out of the realm of possibilities is Mr. Tucker, who has been heating up a bit at AAA

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2018, 02:14:58 pm »
Not out of the realm of possibilities is Mr. Tucker, who has been heating up a bit at AAA

Tucker by month:
* April (92 AB) -- .293/.371/.457
* May (109 AB) -- .257/.341/.459
* June (46 AB) -- .310/.348/.571

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2018, 07:46:50 pm »
Kelvin Herrera off the market. Goes to the Nats in exchange for three prospects.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2018, 08:07:33 pm »
Kelvin Herrera off the market. Goes to the Nats in exchange for three prospects.
Damn, that's a guy I wouldn't have minded having on this team

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2018, 10:20:56 pm »
Damn, that's a guy I wouldn't have minded having on this team

Herrera would’ve been nice for sure, but they really need a good left handed reliever like Britton or Brad Hand.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2018, 11:49:10 am »

Doesn't seem like they gave up all that much, either -- No. 11 & 12 prospects in the Royals system (neither a top-100 guy), plus a sleeper.