Author Topic: BA prospect list  (Read 168 times)

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Boom!

VirtualBob

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: BA prospect list
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:08:38 pm »
https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/astros-top-10-prospects-2018-222724/?utm_content=buffer64e4c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#9BtP3RHYyFlqeXg0.97

Top 4 is as expected.  But Nova, Solis, and Alcala in the top ten?  Thoughts?
Alcala is that good, and I really like H.Perez.  That said, there are way too many of these "Top XXX" lists, and I think some of them go for shock value ... a sort of 'we are really ahead of the crowd calling _____ a top prospect'.  There is 0 downside and a lot of upside for them if they hit on one of these long shots.
Up in the Air

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:12:01 pm »
Alcala is that good, and I really like H.Perez.  That said, there are way too many of these "Top XXX" lists, and I think some of them go for shock value ... a sort of 'we are really ahead of the crowd calling _____ a top prospect'.  There is 0 downside and a lot of upside for them if they hit on one of these long shots.
I thought the same thing when BP put Jonathan Arauz up at #6 on their list.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:16:15 pm »
By the way, I listened to part of a BA podcast discussing Pirates prospects today. They were gushing about a pitcher (who I hadn't heard of until this, frankly) named Mitch Keller, who according to them is one of the very top pitching prospects in baseball. They said that, when they ask scouts what pitchers they like best (prospect-wise), they usually say either Keller, Reyes (from StL, injured this year), Buehler (LAD), or Forrest Whitley.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy