Author Topic: Rule 5  (Read 1921 times)

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Rule 5
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:02:31 am »
I didn’t see this anywhere yet. Elieser Hernandez was picked up by the Marlins in the first round, and we nabbed (former Astro) Anthony Gose from the Rangers—this time listed as a LHP.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Rule 5
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:29:13 am »
I didn’t see this anywhere yet. Elieser Hernandez was picked up by the Marlins in the first round, and we nabbed (former Astro) Anthony Gose from the Rangers—this time listed as a LHP.

Saw a report on Gose that he has reached 100 on the mound. Not sure he can pitch but has an arm.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:35:27 am »
Isn't he the guy that was the key to the Brett Wallace trade with TOR?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:44:34 am »
Isn't he the guy that was the key to the Brett Wallace trade with TOR?

He was the guy that was traded to Toronto for Wallace after being picked up from Philly in the Oswalt deal.
Goin' for a bus ride.

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 10:50:53 am »
Baseball is crazy.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 10:52:02 am »
Baseball is crazy.

Next time around he'll be a right-handed pitcher.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 10:53:27 am »
Astros get 6-5 200 lb LH Reliever Chris Nunn from Cubs in Minor League Rule 5

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=571993#/career/R/pitching/2017/ALL

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:09:28 am by BlownRanger »
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 12:11:23 pm »
I had no idea he converted to a pitcher.   Wasn't he a super fast CF at one point?
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 12:13:49 pm »
I had no idea he converted to a pitcher.   Wasn't he a super fast CF at one point?
Yes he was. I've read he wants to try to pitch and be an option off the bench though I highly doubt that happens

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 12:20:23 pm »
Yes he was. I've read he wants to try to pitch and be an option off the bench though I highly doubt that happens

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jake Kaplan‏Verified account
@jakemkaplan
 3h3 hours ago
More
Astros’ Kevin Goldstein on Anthony Gose: "I could see him maybe coming in at the end of the games and doing a little defensive work, but we want him to focus on pitching. … If he's going to be in the big leagues right now, we want him to make the team out of the bullpen."

Kevin Goldstein on the Gose selection: "We'll admit it. We're throwing some chips on red 23 here, and we know that. But the payoff's pretty great. This is the highest upside guy for us (in the Rule 5 Draft)."
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 12:41:47 pm »
He was the guy that was traded to Toronto for Wallace after being picked up from Philly in the Oswalt deal.

I'd prefer to forget about the Brett Wallace experiment.  IIRC he was supposed to be a high batting average no power firstbaseman, but then didn't hit for average.   
Boom!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »

Yes, and I would think stills has the skills to play CF but can't hit a lick.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »
I didn’t see this anywhere yet. Elieser Hernandez was picked up by the Marlins in the first round ...
Talk about a long shot.  Limited to 63.1 IP at Buies Creek due to injury, though he did strike out 74 against only 21BB and 55H.  3.98 ERA and 1.20 WHIP.  At age 22 he has a ton of potential, but with no experience above Hi A, he does not seem slated for immediate success at the big league level.  He has mostly been a starter (in the tandem system), so I don't know how bullpen action will affect him ... especially coming off injury.  It will be interesting to see if he is the "second going" of Johan Santana, but I can think of a lot of other pitchers in the system that I would rather have stick around, so I guess, "Good Luck" is the best comment.
Up in the Air

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 03:13:57 pm »
Yes, and I would think stills has the skills to play CF but can't hit a lick.
Well, he's a career .240/.309/.348 hitter in over 1200 big-league PAs, which isn't what you hope for from a starter, but isn't awful for a good CF with speed.

IF Strom and the analytic crew can help him learn a few tricks from the mound, it could be a really interesting way to fill the 25th spot on the roster. Big if, of course.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy