Author Topic: Your favorite moment  (Read 6944 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Your favorite moment
« on: December 01, 2017, 09:47:16 am »
This is a follow up to my “I cannot get enough of this stuff” post:

What was your favorite moment of the playoffs (not only the WS). Be as broad (beating iconic franchises) or a narrow (a single AB or pitch) as you like.

Mark and I played this game over beer(s) yesterday, and I am very interested in your responses. I have many favorite moments, as I know you do, but narrow them down to one.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite moment
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:00:58 am »
Nothing beats the last out, but curve after curve after curve after curve ........... was quite an enjoyable spectacle

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:03:58 am »
The ninth inning of ALCS game 2 with Batgirl and the kids.  The kids were completely swept up in the Verlander chant throughout the top of the ninth and the explosion that was Correa's double and Altuve's mad dash.  It was the single greatest single sports experience of my life and being able to share it with the entire very enthusiastic family (I was very much on the fence about bringing the kids) made it all the more fulfilling.  I have thought about it several times a day every day since. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:09:56 am »
I have three favorite moments, because I can't decide which of them is my favorite.  In no particular order:

1. Red Sox series. Altuve's third home run in the first game.  I was there, and up near the train tracks to watch it come in.  There would be a lot of great home runs in the playoffs postseason but that was so impossible and so certain at the same time.

2.  Yankee series.  After Verlander had struck out 13, Altuve's walkoff score from first.  Again, I was there, it had already been a great game, I had perfect sightlines to watch the play develop. Taking that risk and pulling it off just summed up their play.  What a great mix of they can't to they just did.

3.  Game 7 Yankee series.  Bregman's throw home.  Just perfect in every way.  Nothing in life is ever that perfect, and it was.

ETA: and I guess I utterly failed to narrow it down.  I think the Altuve score from first is the one I'll remember, but the Bregman throw was so perfect.  I'll go Bregman.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:16:15 am by NeilT »
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:24:54 am »

1. Red Sox series. Altuve's third home run in the first game.  I was there, and up near the train tracks to watch it come in.  There would be a lot of great home runs in the playoffs postseason but that was so impossible and so certain at the same time.

I'm not a big Costas fan, but I thought his call on this was memorable:  "Would you like to join Babe Ruth?  Why not!"
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

jwhudson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 10:28:38 am »
Marwin's Home Run WS game 3.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:59:15 am »
I'd like to recognize the Reddick-to-Correa-to-Bregman relay to nail Gardner in Game 2 of the ALCS.  It was picture-perfect execution and was emblematic of the fundamental excellence displayed throughout the post-season by a team said to be "middle of the road" defensively.

"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 11:00:33 am »
Despite that bizarre ALCS game 3, all things Charlie Morton.
Goin' for a bus ride.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 11:02:37 am »
The ninth inning of ALCS game 2 with Batgirl and the kids.  The kids were completely swept up in the Verlander chant throughout the top of the ninth and the explosion that was Correa's double and Altuve's mad dash.  It was the single greatest single sports experience of my life and being able to share it with the entire very enthusiastic family (I was very much on the fence about bringing the kids) made it all the more fulfilling.  I have thought about it several times a day every day since. 

I'm glad you took them.  My vote was for you to take them.  :)
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 11:10:00 am »
I think my favorite was Game 7 of the ALCS.  The last out was just freaking magical to me.  I was thinking of my dad.  I went to that game by myself and didn't know anyone around me but that was a great moment.

I guess my #2 favorite moment was Bregman's hit to win Game 5 of the WS.  That was an incredibly happy moment for me and I was there with my sister.  That game was so much fun.  The section where I was chanting "Jose Jose Jose Jose..." was so much fun because he got a hit every time we did it!!!

I still have a hard time believing they won it all. 
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 11:10:38 am »
I'm going to have to go with Bregman's first-pitch, "lookin-for-a-cutter," walk-off hit off of Jansen in Game 5. I just went apeshit. Still makes me laugh when I watch it.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 11:17:39 am »
Beltran's double against Boston against Kimbrel in the ALDS. After a mediocre second half (compared to the first half of the season), that's the first time I really felt that they could really push against whatever pitching other teams could throw at them.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 11:34:26 am »
Altuve throwing to first for the last out and the priceless looks on their faces when the Astros realized they won the whole enchilada    Simplistic i know, but it works for me.
forever is composed entirely of nows

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 11:34:39 am »
I'm glad you took them.  My vote was for you to take them.  :)

You were certainly right.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 11:50:51 am »
Marwin's Home Run WS game 3.

To me that is the most pivotal swing in franchise history (assuming you mean Game 2).

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 12:09:02 pm »
Getting to take my son to a World Series game in Houston. I don't have a bucket list written out or anything, but if I did, that surely would have been at the top. That the Astros won (both that game, and the series) just put it over the moon.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 12:27:28 pm »
Altuve's mad dash for me.  I was travelling with my sons and we listened to it on the radio.  We went nuts and I was honking the horn of my truck like a madman. 

It reminded me of my reaction when I was driving racing home from football practice trying to catch the end of Game 6 vs the Mets as I listened to Billy Hatcher's homer to tie the game. 

Something about listening to it on the radio with my boys that helped tie it back to the traditions I had with my Dad.  Better ending this time.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 01:23:18 pm »

I would agree with the Altuve dash for me. Just so daring...and it worked out. Close would be Bregman's throw to the plate against Yanks. Everything had to be perfect on that play and he and McCann got it done. Not sure how many times out of 10 they would have executed that.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 03:05:11 pm »
 Bottom of the 5th, WS game 5, culminating with the Altuve AB/HR.

All of the highlights mentioned are like mountain peaks.   I've enjoyed spending time on all of them,  but this one is my favorite.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 03:37:54 pm »
Altuve's mad dash, although the Bregman throw was a work of art.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 04:35:53 pm »
I was at the barber shop at lunch, and this seemed like a perfectly reasonable barbershop topic.  The guy in the next chair picked Marwin's throw from left field to nail the runner at the plate.  I'd forgotten all about it.

There surely was a lot of miraculous baseball. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 04:45:40 pm »
I was at the barber shop at lunch, and this seemed like a perfectly reasonable barbershop topic.  The guy in the next chair picked Marwin's throw from left field to nail the runner at the plate.  I'd forgotten all about it.

There surely was a lot of miraculous baseball.

Which one?  Game 4 of the ALDS or Game 1 of the ALCS?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 04:47:44 pm »
Which one?  Game 4 of the ALDS or Game 1 of the ALCS?

I assume ALCS game 1. 

Aussie Astro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 05:15:53 pm »

3.  Game 7 Yankee series.  Bregman's throw home.  Just perfect in every way.  Nothing in life is ever that perfect, and it was.

This one for me, it got me on my feet with several fist pumps, laps around the room and a victory dance that I had to stop when I came to my senses and realised it was a long way from over.  Yes it was perfect, timely and realy felt like a moment.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 06:03:56 pm »
1. Marwin's game two shot off of Jansen left me slack-jawed.  As said earlier, it was the most pivotal swing in franchise history. 

2. Closely followed by George's first pitch no-doubter right after his ill-fated dive in Game 5.

3. THE throw home by Bregman - the dagger to the heart of the Yankees.

3. Beltran's wall-ball double at Fenway - the dagger to the heart of the Red Sox.

60% of the time... it works everytime.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 07:13:37 pm »
I will list all of mine in no particular order, then following the rules, I’ll pick one.:

1. Sharing the postseason run through the iconic franchises with Mark, and to a lesser degree, with my cancer survivor friend John Breihan. John texted me throughout every game we did not watch on TV together. Attending games in person with Mark was more special than I have words to say.
2. Verlander’s complete game v. NYY
3. Altuve’s Mad Dash
4. Springer’s Home Run of Atonement
5. Shelling Sale in Game 1 v. Boston. So unexpected.
6. Bregman’s throw home
7. Charlie Morton
8. Altuve’s disciplined, focused AB in Game 5 culminating in his home run
9. Game 5 of the WS. OMG.
10. Marwin’s homer off Jansen. I called it but did not believe it would happen. Mark got a home run notification on his phone before we saw the pitch on TV and said “Buckle up.”
11. The Astros’ performance in the three elimination games, especially the dominance in Game 7 of the WS. Never trailed in the three games and outscored the opponents 16-2 (two solo homers).
12. The intensity of Games 6 and 7 v. NYY. Breathing was difficult.
13. Beltran’s double off the Monster
14. The ABs of Bregman and Reddick in the 8th inning of Game 4 v. Boston. Preparation and approach.
15. Springer’s taking over the WS after 3-26 v. NYY and 4 Ks in WS Game 1. Every hit meant something.
16. Brad Peacock

Too long a list, I know, and my favorite is Game 5 in its entirety. Best.Game.Ever.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:44:01 pm by JimR »

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 08:03:23 pm »
Nice list Jim.

Still can't believe all that (and more) happened and it all worked out in our favor.   Incredible.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 08:27:45 pm »
Nice list Jim.

Still can't believe all that (and more) happened and it all worked out in our favor.   Incredible.

Can’t believe it, but I left off Morton. Went back and added him.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 08:33:11 pm »
Can’t believe it, but I left off Morton. Went back and added him.

I was wondering about that.

For me it was probably the sublimely, absurdly successful Altuve sprint from 1st, arms raised as he slides across the plate. But any of the other previously cited instants are equally worthy.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 09:45:25 pm »
I was wondering about that.

For me it was probably the sublimely, absurdly successful Altuve sprint from 1st, arms raised as he slides across the plate. But any of the other previously cited instants are equally worthy.

I didn’t leave him off. He was #7. 16 became Brad Peacock.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 09:52:03 pm »
Nothing beats the last out, but curve after curve after curve after curve ........... was quite an enjoyable spectacle

I didn't realize this was happening at the time.  Finding out the next morning that McCullers had come in and thrown nothing but curves really was pretty amazing. 

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 09:59:36 pm »
For me, I don't know if anything will ever top game 2 of the ALCS. It was the only postseason game I was able to attend. Seeing verlander walking back out to the mound in the top of the 9th, then altuves mad dash around the bases, hugging strangers who just happen to be next to me, joining in the "Jose Jose Jose" chants.

It was nothing short of magical, it gives me chills just thinking about it. It is one of the most most memorable experiences I've had thus far in my 26 years on this earth and I don't think it'll be topped for some time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 04:14:18 am »
It would be easy to pick something like the last out, or a big home run. But I'll cast a vote for Bregman's throw to the plate against the Yankees.  Not only did it represent preventing a possible big inning, and a thing of beauty in terms of technical form, but it represents the situational nature of baseball, learning from past situations, and the very fundamental concept of being prepared and knowing what you're going to do when the ball is hit to you.  I love watching sound, fundamental baseball, and that play had it in spades. Represented all that I loved about this team and this game.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 06:49:37 am »
It would be easy to pick something like the last out, or a big home run. But I'll cast a vote for Bregman's throw to the plate against the Yankees.  Not only did it represent preventing a possible big inning, and a thing of beauty in terms of technical form, but it represents the situational nature of baseball, learning from past situations, and the very fundamental concept of being prepared and knowing what you're going to do when the ball is hit to you.  I love watching sound, fundamental baseball, and that play had it in spades. Represented all that I loved about this team and this game.

Great post, and the whole thing happened directly in front of us.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 08:17:35 am »
Agree completely.
Up in the Air

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 08:21:24 am »
This. Such excellent execution. It signified that the Astros were not giving in, were taking the full measure and willing to pull out all stops to not be denied. The home run by Marwin in game two of the WS is a close second.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 08:58:12 am »

There were moments during the Postseason when I considered whether the Astros had a little Divine Providence going for them. Bregman's throw was one of those.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 09:03:47 am »
I didn't realize this was happening at the time.  Finding out the next morning that McCullers had come in and thrown nothing but curves really was pretty amazing.

McCullers:  "Here's a curve. See if you can hit it."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2017, 09:11:53 am »
McCullers:  "Here's a curve. See if you can hit it."

The final 22 (or 24, I have read both) pitches of the game. Amazing, but even more so is the Yankees kept chasing it.

jwhudson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2017, 09:22:11 am »
Yes Game 2.  I knew in my heart that they would be unstoppable when he beat Jansen.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 09:22:29 am »
There were moments during the Postseason when I considered whether the Astros had a little Divine Providence going for them. Bregman's throw was one of those.

I still can't believe WS game 7 played out the way it did.  Our starting pitcher had as many RBI as the Dodgers. 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2017, 11:45:28 am »
The mad dash, was it for me in the ALCS.

The Marwin homer for the WS.

Runners up, Bregs throw in the ALCS & Yuli's homer off Kershaw in game 5.

Speaking of the incredible throw by Bregman, if you gave him 20 chances to make that out, how many times does he get it?  it was one of the greatest plays I have ever seen a 3rd baseman make, in terms of situation and level of difficulty.   Simply amazing.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2017, 02:47:32 pm »
I don't know how many times out of 20 he gets that out. I do know that watching him play all 3 rounds, offense and defense,  was freaking great.  And he's 23.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2017, 05:30:32 pm »
The mad dash, was it for me in the ALCS.

The Marwin homer for the WS.

Runners up, Bregs throw in the ALCS & Yuli's homer off Kershaw in game 5.

Speaking of the incredible throw by Bregman, if you gave him 20 chances to make that out, how many times does he get it?  it was one of the greatest plays I have ever seen a 3rd baseman make, in terms of situation and level of difficulty.   Simply amazing.
The "odds" of that play being made, that throw being in the exact spot it needed to be. Are not high. If it happened 20 more times and it wasn't made at all, I wouldn't be surprised. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he makes it 5 times out of 20, because, he's Alex fucking Bregman.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2017, 06:26:35 pm »
Don't want to overlook Peacock saving an important run in the top of the 7th of game 5 by throwing Turner out at third on the failed sac bunt attempt. Remember hearing McCann yelling, "Three, three, three."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2017, 06:35:20 pm »
Don't want to overlook Peacock saving an important run in the top of the 7th of game 5 by throwing Turner out at third on the failed sac bunt attempt. Remember hearing McCann yelling, "Three, three, three."

The next play was the ill-advised dive.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2017, 06:38:28 pm »
True. And unfortunate but he did redeem himself.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2017, 07:33:08 pm »

That set up runner on 3rd, 1 out.  Peacock got thru without yielding that run.  Huge.

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 12:44:12 am »
Game 5, all of it. The World Series on peyote and mescaline.
Of course if they had lost that would have been the worst moment ever...
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 03:40:57 am »
Great post, and the whole thing happened directly in front of us.

It was exciting to see in person, but seeing it on replay, and hearing Bregman talk about his being ready for just such a play, made me appreciate it even more. I know I'm often a broken record about "situational" things, but it is so important. No two baseball games are ever the same, and the little things mean so much.

Also, I loved hearing Bregman talk about his approach against Sale in Game 4 of the ALDS.  And about how he pesters Marwin to talk about defense, positioning etc to learn all he can (he says Marwin is a walking defensive clinic).  He just seems like a guy who has the right amount of confidence but still wants to learn and will listen to coaching. I really love that about him.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2017, 09:10:57 am »
In a way you can look at the Bregman throw (and the McCann catch and tag) and the Mad Dash as two sides of the same coin.  Bird wasn't really a factor in the play: he's too slow and there was nothing special about his base running. Bregman and McCann were perfect because of mental preparation and execution. 

The Yankee's play for Altuve was Judge to Gregorius to Sanchez, and apparently there was the same preparation.  Judge planned the ball to Gregorius and then Sanchez flubbed the out.  It's almost like the sole purpose of that bit of executed madness was to bust the Yankees' preparation and execution, and it worked.  Where Bird wasn't in the play, Altuve put himself in it from the moment the ball was hit, and the created chaos worked.

Great stuff. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2017, 12:27:29 pm »
In a way you can look at the Bregman throw (and the McCann catch and tag) and the Mad Dash as two sides of the same coin.  Bird wasn't really a factor in the play: he's too slow and there was nothing special about his base running. Bregman and McCann were perfect because of mental preparation and execution. 

The Yankee's play for Altuve was Judge to Gregorius to Sanchez, and apparently there was the same preparation.  Judge planned the ball to Gregorius and then Sanchez flubbed the out.  It's almost like the sole purpose of that bit of executed madness was to bust the Yankees' preparation and execution, and it worked.  Where Bird wasn't in the play, Altuve put himself in it from the moment the ball was hit, and the created chaos worked.

Great stuff.

Great post. Altuve was not running on the 3-2 pitch, which surprised me but maybe he feared a pickoff move, and he hesitated a moment before accelerating to make sure the ball was down because there was only one out. This brief delay makes the aggressive play even more impressive to me.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2017, 10:24:41 pm »
I have 2:

1) The throw.  Neil and HH explained this far better than I can, so no explanation needed.

2) Springer's 3-run bomb in Gm 7.  For the first time in my entire life I thought "the Astros might actually win the World Series."  Charlie locked it down spectacularly, but Springer ended that game early.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2017, 09:13:31 am »

Great stuff.

Also the sheer luck and timing (and I guess failure to execute perfectly by Judge) of the ball sailing towards second base at the very time Correa slides in and pops up, causing Gregorius to take a bit off the throw resulting in the short hop that Sanchez couldn't bring in.   

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2017, 09:42:27 am »
The one that I saw in person: Marwin's throw in Game 1 of the ALCS.  Off the bat, it was a certain run, but as soon as he wound up to throw home, I saw where the runner was and said "holy shit, he might get him!"  And then MMP got louder than I'd heard it since 2005.

Beyond that, I will always get chills when I hear "Ground ball.  Right side.  This could do it."
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2017, 10:55:45 am »
 Another favorite moment: ACLS game 7, Top 7.  Springer's catch at the wall over Marwin,  and Marwin leaning against the wall giving him shit.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2017, 03:00:20 pm »

Some of these found online are so great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDo8wmfbFKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_47V9q2oFc
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2017, 06:21:51 pm »

LOL, that first video is fantastic.  GO GO GO GO GO GO...HE IS GOING!!!!  He's out...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2017, 08:29:06 pm »
Just watched a summary video of the highlights of the entire playoff run and rediscovered my favorite comic moment of the playoff run.

Top 7th of game 7 of the ALCS when Springer steals the warning track fly from Marwin and Marwin just kicks back, leans on the wall, and crosses his legs as Springer is lying on his back.  That one had me rolling.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:31:34 pm by LonghornCDR »
60% of the time... it works everytime.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2017, 09:39:05 am »

I really like that the second shows the entire sequence from Altuve's hit (what classic Altuve), through Correa's full count (I'm surprised I lived through that), to the dash.  These are gems. 

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2017, 11:26:26 am »
Not a postseason game, but sometime in August or September, Houston was trailing late in the game when Altuve beat out an infield hit and singlehandedly won the game with his baserunning. To me, the MVP was his that day. Anyone know which game that was? I’d like to see that on Youtube if available, thx