Author Topic: Ex-Bus Rider News 17-18  (Read 7894 times)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-Bus Rider News 17-18
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2018, 02:16:34 am »
BTW, in the Klawchat today was this re Laureano:

Keith Law: I really liked him out of AFL 2016, then the Astros changed his swing and he stunk.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2018/09/13/klawchat-9-13-18/

The "what changed for Laureano between 2017 and 2018" has been a recurring theme in prospect circles recently and this is the first time I've seen a swing change blamed for his 2017 troubles. Setting aside the obvious (why would the Astros have wanted to change his swing given Laureano's terrific regular season and AFL performance in 2016?), the consequences of this would have been:

Swing change----->Bad 2017----->Decision to not protect Laureano in 2017 Rule 5 draft----->Trade him to Oakland (who had inquired previously about him) in advance of the draft to avoid losing him w/o compensation

Just to be friggin' clear: no finger-pointing going on here. Given lack of information, it's far more productive to try and understand why decisions were made rather than necessarily criticize the decision that was made.

Laureano's physical tools (howitzer for an arm, speed) were fairly obvious to all. There was some question about his future power. So let's pretend for a moment that the organization did tinker with his swing to generate a better launch angle. If that failed in 2017, given his physical tools wouldn't the better course of action have been to go ahead and protect him and have him revert to the old swing in 2018 rather than end up selling low? Obviously those decisions don't get made in a vacuum and putting him on the roster may have had knock-on effects elsewhere (although in hindsight there was an open roster spot which apparently Luhnow & Co. were saving for...Anthony Gose).

Or did his poor 2017 at the plate suggest to the decision-makers that his 2016 numbers were merely an outlier (2/3 of that season was spent at Lancaster, his AFL performance was  SSS involving just 12 games, 2014/2015 numbers weren't particularly exceptional, unconscious bias against a 16th-round pick out of a podunk Okie juco)? Until I see some further evidence that a swing change actually occurred, if I were pinned down I would guess the "2016 was a mirage" mindset as the reason for the trade.

There obviously may have been other reasons for the trade and I await your criticism of my speculations own rationales.

Whatever the reason for the trade, lessons to be learned here may be that swimming against the tide may not be helpful in all situations and the Astros should follow a couple of baseball truisms: (1) don't do prospect for prospect trades (2) don't make trades within your division.

[One thing more about a possible swing change. Let's again assume that in fact it did happen. Who's to say it didn't take until 2018 for Laureano to master it and is just now seeing it come to fruition with the unprecedented pop (for him anyway)?]

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2018, 09:05:08 am »
BTW, in the Klawchat today was this re Laureano:

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2018/09/13/klawchat-9-13-18/

The "what changed for Laureano between 2017 and 2018" has been a recurring theme in prospect circles recently and this is the first time I've seen a swing change blamed for his 2017 troubles. Setting aside the obvious (why would the Astros have wanted to change his swing given Laureano's terrific regular season and AFL performance in 2016?), the consequences of this would have been:

Swing change----->Bad 2017----->Decision to not protect Laureano in 2017 Rule 5 draft----->Trade him to Oakland (who had inquired previously about him) in advance of the draft to avoid losing him w/o compensation

Just to be friggin' clear: no finger-pointing going on here. Given lack of information, it's far more productive to try and understand why decisions were made rather than necessarily criticize the decision that was made.

Laureano's physical tools (howitzer for an arm, speed) were fairly obvious to all. There was some question about his future power. So let's pretend for a moment that the organization did tinker with his swing to generate a better launch angle. If that failed in 2017, given his physical tools wouldn't the better course of action have been to go ahead and protect him and have him revert to the old swing in 2018 rather than end up selling low? Obviously those decisions don't get made in a vacuum and putting him on the roster may have had knock-on effects elsewhere (although in hindsight there was an open roster spot which apparently Luhnow & Co. were saving for...Anthony Gose).

Or did his poor 2017 at the plate suggest to the decision-makers that his 2016 numbers were merely an outlier (2/3 of that season was spent at Lancaster, his AFL performance was  SSS involving just 12 games, 2014/2015 numbers weren't particularly exceptional, unconscious bias against a 16th-round pick out of a podunk Okie juco)? Until I see some further evidence that a swing change actually occurred, if I were pinned down I would guess the "2016 was a mirage" mindset as the reason for the trade.

There obviously may have been other reasons for the trade and I await your criticism of my speculations own rationales.

Whatever the reason for the trade, lessons to be learned here may be that swimming against the tide may not be helpful in all situations and the Astros should follow a couple of baseball truisms: (1) don't do prospect for prospect trades (2) don't make trades within your division.

[One thing more about a possible swing change. Let's again assume that in fact it did happen. Who's to say it didn't take until 2018 for Laureano to master it and is just now seeing it come to fruition with the unprecedented pop (for him anyway)?]

Pudnit hindsighting is ridiculous.

He was dealt because there was no room for him.  The Astros have Springer and Reddick through the 20 season.  Tucker is perceived to have the brighter future.  Alvarez had just stepped forward as a very young and very promising upcoming player.  Laureano had not demonstrated that he could be in either of the other two's class of hitter.  They have Marisnick through at least 2020 as a defensive player as well.  For the current window no one saw him as a right now, fills a need, guy.  So why have him hold a 40-man spot for nothing until at least 2021?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2018, 09:22:00 am »
He was dealt because there was no room for him.  The Astros have Springer and Reddick through the 2020 season.  Tucker is perceived to have the brighter future.  Alvarez had just stepped forward as a very young and very promising upcoming player.  Laureano had not demonstrated that he could be in either of the other two's class of hitter.  They have Marisnick through at least 2020 as a defensive player as well.  For the current window no one saw him as a right now, fills a need, guy.  So why have him hold a 40-man spot for nothing until at least 2021?

That's a fair counterpoint. And Derek Fisher was also considered to be ahead of him in the pecking order adding to the perceived glut.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2018, 09:27:33 am »

Pudnit hindsighting is ridiculous.

He was dealt because there was no room for him.  The Astros have Springer and Reddick through the 20 season.  Tucker is perceived to have the brighter future.  Alvarez had just stepped forward as a very young and very promising upcoming player.  Laureano had not demonstrated that he could be in either of the other two's class of hitter.  They have Marisnick through at least 2020 as a defensive player as well.  For the current window no one saw him as a right now, fills a need, guy.  So why have him hold a 40-man spot for nothing until at least 2021?

See also Teoscar Hernandez. Pretty clear they felt set in the outfield and were willing to use their depth to shore up other areas.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2018, 10:51:16 am »

See also Teoscar Hernandez. Pretty clear they felt set in the outfield and were willing to use their depth to shore up other areas.

Plus he nearly Adam Everrett'd Altuve.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Ex-Bus Rider News 17-18
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2018, 01:51:17 pm »
Don't forget Tony.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2018, 10:14:55 pm »
Former Bus Rider Juan...

Scott Merkin  @scottmerkin 58m ago
Minaya had a 10.80 ERA when he went to Triple A Charlotte after an outing on May 3. In his return, covering 41 games and 39.1 IP, his ERA is 2.75.

Tweet a bit misleading though. He's walked 19 during that stretch contributing to a 1.32 WHIP in that span. And walks have been an issue for him going back to his Houston days.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2018, 11:24:23 am »
Former V-Cats' manager Stubby Clapp (2011-2012) being mentioned as a possible successor for John Gibbons.

Was also a hitting coach in the system prior to his Tri-City stint.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2018, 12:43:16 pm »
Former V-Cats' manager Stubby Clapp (2011-2012) being mentioned as a possible successor for John Gibbons.

Was also a hitting coach in the system prior to his Tri-City stint.

Stubby Clapp sounds like a vaudeville name.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2018, 12:55:48 pm »
Stubby Clapp sounds like a vaudeville name.

Or an STD.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2018, 04:33:09 pm »
Laureano supplanting Dustin Fowler as the A's everyday CF:

A’s EVP Billy Beane tells [beat writer Susan] Slusser that the “job is [Laureano’s],” adding that the 24-year-old “has played that position just about as well as anyone we’ve ever had here.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/09/al-west-notes-paxton-buttrey-laureano-astros-roster.html

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2018, 06:29:45 pm »
Some exes who are now MLFAs:

RHP Mike Hauschild
LHP Buddy Boshers
LHP Anthony Gose
C Tim Federowicz
C Juan Centeno
OF JB Shuck

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/minor-league-transactions-sept-17-oct-4/

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2018, 05:48:54 pm »
Cuban pitcher Jesus Balaguer signed with Washington of the Frontier League after his release by the Astros back in July. He quickly racked up 47 K's in 25.2 innings for the Wild Things but also exhibited the control problems that plagued him with Houston with 16 walks. Anyhoo, he had his contract sold to the D-Backs earlier this month.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2018, 10:05:54 pm »
Some exes who are MLFAs:

Pitchers: Jake Buchanan, Asher Wojciechoski, Mitch Talbot, Brett Oberholtzer, Kevin Comer, Kevin Chapman, Ian Hardman, Samil De Los Santos, Harold Arauz, David Rollins, Ruben Alaniz, Rhiner Cruz
Catchers: Tyler Heineman, Kevin Martir, Roberto Pena, Carlos Perez
Infielders: Jake Elmore   
OFs: Preston Tucker, LJ Hoes, Andrew Aplin

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/minor-league-free-agents-2018/?amphtml&__twitter_impression=true

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2018, 10:09:14 pm »
Some exes who are MLFAs:

Pitchers: Jake Buchanan, Asher Wojciechoski, Mitch Talbot, Brett Oberholtzer, Kevin Comer, Kevin Chapman, Ian Hardman, Samil De Los Santos, Harold Arauz, David Rollins, Ruben Alaniz, Rhiner Cruz
Catchers: Tyler Heineman, Kevin Martir, Roberto Pena, Carlos Perez
Infielders: Jake Elmore   
OFs: Preston Tucker, LJ Hoes, Andrew Aplin

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/minor-league-free-agents-2018/?amphtml&__twitter_impression=true
I would not mind seeing Pena or Perez back in the system.
Up in the Air

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2018, 11:24:17 pm »
Some signings: Andrew Aplin and Tyler Heineman to the D-Backs, Juan Centeno to the Red Sox, Jake Buchanan to the A's (which included a ST invite), Jose Cisnero to the Tigers and Mike Hauschild to the Cardinals.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2018, 11:33:10 am »
Longtime AAA manager (OKC 2011-14, Fresno 2015-17) and Astros' interim manager Tony DeFrancesco interviews for bench coach position with the Mets.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2018, 07:54:33 pm »
Some signings: Andrew Aplin and Tyler Heineman to the D-Backs, Juan Centeno to the Red Sox, Jake Buchanan to the A's (which included a ST invite), Jose Cisnero to the Tigers and Mike Hauschild to the Cardinals.

Also, Ruben Alaniz was signed by the Mariners last week and added to their 40-man roster. 9 years in the minors, the first 6 of which were with the Astros.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2018, 08:09:21 pm »
Recent 40-man roster additions:
  • RHP Franklin Perez by the Tigers
  • RHP Jorge Guzman by the Marlins
  • OF Jason Martin by the Pirates
  • RHPs Hector Perez and Trent Thornton by the Blue Jays

Not surprising given his struggles at the AAA level this past season but RHP Tom Eshelman was not protected by the Phillies.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2018, 07:01:42 am »
Rodney Linares named 3rd base coach for Rays.

The Tampa Bay Times reported last week Linares, 41, had emerged as the leading candidate for the job. He also fills the Rays' need for a Spanish speaker on the coaching staff in what will be his first major-league assignment after 22 years with the Astros.

"I was speechless, it took me a little while to gather my thoughts after I  was told. It was such a blessing," Linares said Wednesday. "I immediately started crying and I called my dad right away. It was just a special moment. You work your whole life to get to the big leagues and now this opportunity arises. It's an amazing feeling."

Thrilled for him.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:06:03 am by Duman »
Always ready to go to a game.