Author Topic: I cannot get enough of this stuff  (Read 21378 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
I cannot get enough of this stuff
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:26:23 pm »
Factoid: Altuve’s 3-run homer off Maeda to tie Game 5 followed a 9-pitch walk by Springer and a 10-pitch walk by Bregman off Kershaw with two outs and nobody on.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Aussie Astro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: I cannot get enough of this stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:32:53 pm »
I know what you mean about can't get enough... I keep re-watching games 2 and 5 trying to decide which was better.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:23:27 pm »
Here's the entire inning:

https://youtu.be/h8Oo87L3U2s

Springer got hosed on ball 4/strike 2.  That's why he three his bat as he took first on ball 5.  Interesting to watch Kershaw's reactions as he missed pitch after pitch and lost both Springer and Bregman.

The Altuve AB was simply awesome.   Maeda couldn't snap off a good slider.   Altuve just missed the one he fouled into the dirt/off  his leg.   Then he yanked another spinner deep but foul.   Then Maeda thought he'd better try a fastball and KABAAAAM!!!!!!!!!

I've watched the whole AB a dozen times.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 09:28:41 pm »
I know what you mean about can't get enough... I keep re-watching games 2 and 5 trying to decide which was better.

My opinion, game 5. So many emotions. So many.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:47:36 pm »
I tabled revisiting game 2 because I wanted to stay in the moment for the subsequent games.  Then game 5 happened and I've spent almost all my spare time rewatching bits of it.

Top 7:
- Peacock nails Turner at third after the leadoff double
- Springer's ill-advised dive allows a run to score
- Peacock  then locks down, Ks Forsythe,  gets Puig to fly out and the runner on 3rd with 1 out is stranded

Then this happened:
https://youtu.be/pWj-du7Zlp0

I've never seen a moon shot like Correa's in person.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 10:11:56 pm »
My opinion, game 5. So many emotions. So many.
I try to think of the games in isolation as for which was best, but game 5 had the spectre of win or got back to LA having to win 2 games.  Win 1, yep, I was confident we could do that… to win 2 however would have needed more than Peter Graves.  I take it most us felt like we were playing for the series in game 5, but no one wanted to say it out loud?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 10:16:10 pm »
I try to think of the games in isolation as for which was best, but game 5 had the spectre of win or got back to LA having to win 2 games.  Win 1, yep, I was confident we could do that… to win 2 however would have needed more than Peter Graves.  I take it most us felt like we were playing for the series in game 5, but no one wanted to say it out loud?

I don't think it needed to be said.  Game 5 was the better game. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:55:00 pm »

As I was listening, I felt like game 5 wasn’t necessarily the deciding game... but... had the Astros lost it I thought that would be the end of the line. I knew they’d lose one in LA, I was positive... when they pulled it out I completely lost my shit.

Game 2 was a different experience. Yes it was a “must win” but to me it felt like a counter punch to game one in typical 2017 Astros fashion. They were down on the mat, got up, took a standing 8 count, and then proceeded to vaunt all over the fucking place.

As good as game 2 was my money is on game 5... that was fucking epic. They forced at least a game 7 there. That game made it all happen (if that makes any sense...)

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:12:35 am »
Here's the entire inning:

https://youtu.be/h8Oo87L3U2s

Springer got hosed on ball 4/strike 2.  That's why he three his bat as he took first on ball 5.  Interesting to watch Kershaw's reactions as he missed pitch after pitch and lost both Springer and Bregman.

The Altuve AB was simply awesome.   Maeda couldn't snap off a good slider.   Altuve just missed the one he fouled into the dirt/off  his leg.   Then he yanked another spinner deep but foul.   Then Maeda thought he'd better try a fastball and KABAAAAM!!!!!!!!!

I've watched the whole AB a dozen times.

He was so calm during his AB. If he took that approach into the regular season, he would hit .500. During his AB, I feared I was having The Big One. I was afraid he would be in swing mode, and we would get nothing out of two on.

Mark and I agreed before the game, we had to win to have a chance. Like others said, we could win one going back to LA but not two. Game 5 wasof the best of the seven for many reasons, and I am so glad Mark and I were there.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 06:37:16 am »
For any of you who might not know, every post season game is available on Youtube in HD.   I watched a bunch of innings from games 2, 5, 7 of the WS and games, 2, 6 & 7 of the ALCS yesterday.    You can stream the games on your TV (air play or HDMI cable) and get a crystal clear replay.

They aren't on the MLB Youtube channel,  you just have to search for 2017 World Series Game X or 2017 ALCS game 6, etc...

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:39:42 am »
Speaking of rewatching....

So Giles in game 2.   While he gets crapped on for his performance, the Astros also don't get to extra innings without him keeping the game tied in the 9th, facing the heart of the Dodgers order.   He Ks Saeger, gets Turner to ground out and Bellinger to pop out.  He threw 10 pitches, 7 strikes.

He comes back out for the 10th, with a lead.   Falls behind 2-1 Puig, then throws a 98mph fastball low and outside.  Watch the replay it was going to hit McCanns mitt dead center exactly where McCann had set up.  It was a good pitch, hat tip to Puig.   Giles then strikes out the next 2 guys.

Forsythe comes up and Giles is now at 22 pitches.   He gets to 1-2 and tries to get him to chase a slider down, which even Smoltz says is a great pitch.   2-2 pitch is a another slider but way out of the zone that bounces to McCann.   Ball 4 is a fastball low and outside that just misses.   Buck comments, that didn't miss by much.   Now Kike comes up with Giles at 28 pitches.   At this point, Giles loses all control.  Way off the plate fastball, slider in the dirt that is a wildpitch, 98mph high fastball for a swinging strike, followed by another fastball well out of the zone.    Then the ball that Kike hits is a 96mph fastball, off the plate and up. pitch 32.

Giles was excellent up until 2-2 on Forsythe.    Damn shame he couldn't finish him off.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 08:49:15 am »

It's like picking your favorite child, but if there's no game 2 there's no game 5.  The Astros would have been 0-6 in the world series, coming home facing the task of having to be near perfect just to get the series back to LA.  Add in the fact that they were virtually shut down in game 1 and the first seven innings of game 2, down by 2 after a couple of hard luck homers after not getting a win from either Keuchel and Verlander and facing one of the best closers in the game - it was near despair.  By game 5 the Astros had proven they could touch up the Dodgers bullpen and even if they didn't pull that out they had Verlander going in Game 6 in order to get it to a Game 7 kitchen sink game. 

Then to storm back against Janssen, take the lead, lose the lead and then take the lead again and then barely hang on to pull a split out of nowhere completely changed the dynamic of the series.  Clenching your ass as you slowly got demoralized for seven innings, then going through the insanity of the final four innings to completely turn franchise history on its head was a game like no other.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 09:14:37 am »
I tabled revisiting game 2 because I wanted to stay in the moment for the subsequent games.  Then game 5 happened and I've spent almost all my spare time rewatching bits of it.

Top 7:
- Peacock nails Turner at third after the leadoff double
- Springer's ill-advised dive allows a run to score
- Peacock  then locks down, Ks Forsythe,  gets Puig to fly out and the runner on 3rd with 1 out is stranded

Then this happened:
https://youtu.be/pWj-du7Zlp0

I despise Joe Buck, but his home run call on Springer cracked me up...

High fly ball GOODBYE!
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 09:22:33 am »
Speaking of rewatching....

So Giles in game 2.   While he gets crapped on for his performance, the Astros also don't get to extra innings without him keeping the game tied in the 9th, facing the heart of the Dodgers order.   He Ks Saeger, gets Turner to ground out and Bellinger to pop out.  He threw 10 pitches, 7 strikes.

He comes back out for the 10th, with a lead.   Falls behind 2-1 Puig, then throws a 98mph fastball low and outside.  Watch the replay it was going to hit McCanns mitt dead center exactly where McCann had set up.  It was a good pitch, hat tip to Puig.   Giles then strikes out the next 2 guys.

Forsythe comes up and Giles is now at 22 pitches.   He gets to 1-2 and tries to get him to chase a slider down, which even Smoltz says is a great pitch.   2-2 pitch is a another slider but way out of the zone that bounces to McCann.   Ball 4 is a fastball low and outside that just misses.   Buck comments, that didn't miss by much.   Now Kike comes up with Giles at 28 pitches.   At this point, Giles loses all control.  Way off the plate fastball, slider in the dirt that is a wildpitch, 98mph high fastball for a swinging strike, followed by another fastball well out of the zone.    Then the ball that Kike hits is a 96mph fastball, off the plate and up. pitch 32.

Giles was excellent up until 2-2 on Forsythe.    Damn shame he couldn't finish him off.

Agreed with all of this.  I blame his pitch count for that  meltdown, as he clearly had his stuff earlier in the outing.  Giles will never be the 6+ out closer type.  Which is why I'm all for them going out and getting a (lefty) closer/8th inning type this offseason.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

georgiasamba

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:55 am »
Game 2 vs Game 5?  This is one of those things fans will continue debating/reminiscing about  years or even decades from now. and I love that... 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:06 am »
My choice is game 5 because it was at home.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 09:59:34 am »
I know that people have mentioned picking up Morrow this offseason to bolster the pen.  But how can Morrow possible come to the Astros after game 5?  How does he look at anyone in the clubhouse?
Boom!

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 10:00:55 am »
My choice is game 5 because it was at home.

And a walkoff.

Of course I wouldn't kick game 2 out of bed.   

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 10:12:06 am »
I know that people have mentioned picking up Morrow this offseason to bolster the pen.  But how can Morrow possible come to the Astros after game 5?  How does he look at anyone in the clubhouse?

He'd no that he wouldn't have to face them again.  That would be good.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 10:15:15 am »

As a terrific relief pitcher who had one bad outing when he was utterly exhausted. 

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 10:53:48 am »

According to Jeff Sullivan on Effectively Wild, nobody hit a homer that high all year. Something like 97% of batted balls struck at such an angle resulted in outs in 2017.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 11:20:58 am »
Was Marwin's homerun more or less unexpected than the Ausmus homerun in 2005?
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32:24 am »

Because he is a professional athlete.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32:57 am »

Much, much less

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:16 am »
Less, to me. That Ausmus homer is on its own level of freak occurrence—not just because he hit one, but because of where he hit it.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 11:43:17 am »
As a terrific relief pitcher who had one bad outing when he was utterly exhausted.

If he was exhausted, he did not know it. He called the dugout twice and asked to be used because he felt good warming up. Before the game, Roberts said he was unavailable.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 12:37:40 pm »
I had the impression that Ausmus seemed to hit for more power in the postseason than in the regular season (even got to see him hit one in person against the braves in a NLDS). I just looked it up and he has 3 postseason HR's for a total of 1 for every 35.33 at bats vs. 1 HR for every 78.48 at bats over his career. In comparison Biggio and Bagwell both only had 2 HR's in their postseason careers. So I had learned to expect the unexpected from Ausmus.

I did not see Marwin's HR coming at all. That was one of the most happy baseball surprises I have ever seen.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 01:33:42 pm »

Marwin seemed worn out four a while to me.   His blast was a welcome surprise.

At the time of Ausmus's HR he was getting quality ABs, they just usually ended with the pitcher winning.   Agree with the location of his HR was the really surprising part.   He freaking whalloped it.

I often thought back to the Ausmus blast and the Everett shot to the wall in StL when we would get production out of the bottom of the order in the playoffs. A little goes such a long way and we got more than a little.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 02:33:23 pm »
I had the impression that Ausmus seemed to hit for more power in the postseason than in the regular season (even got to see him hit one in person against the braves in a NLDS). I just looked it up and he has 3 postseason HR's for a total of 1 for every 35.33 at bats vs. 1 HR for every 78.48 at bats over his career. In comparison Biggio and Bagwell both only had 2 HR's in their postseason careers. So I had learned to expect the unexpected from Ausmus.

I did not see Marwin's HR coming at all. That was one of the most happy baseball surprises I have ever seen.

I call bullshit on your expecting that HR from Ausmus.

TxRascal

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 03:44:20 pm »
So I had learned to expect the unexpected from Ausmus.

Anyone who successfully "expects" a home run in a specific at bat from a career .344 slugger has missed his calling.

The TalkZone might have discovered a 2nd generation Nostradamus.
"It's a bottom line business where a lot of gray suits are brought in and then, within two years, these guys suddenly know everything about baseball."  Don Drysdale

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 04:02:37 pm »
I call bullshit on your expecting that HR from Ausmus.
I did not expect that specific HR from Ausmus. I expected Brad to get an HR now and then, which he seemed to do more often in the postseason. I had zero expectation that Marwin would get the HR in the 9th. Would have taken a bet against that happening if I bet against the Astros which I never ever do.

Which raises a question, what level of probability raises to the level of "expect" in the context of an at bat? Ausmus had a 3% chance (if my math is right, and it may not be) of getting an HR in a specific at bat, which was twice as good as his regular season percentage.

The only time I knew someone was going to get a HR was when Joe Carter hit one off of Mitch Williams. I was dead certain that was going to happen.

Oh, and when Bonds tied the HR record in Houston. Wasn't 100% that was going to happen but it was looking pretty good that the Astros pitcher they sent out to please the fans wasn't going to make Barry wait. 

Where the fuck is Toro?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 04:14:32 pm »
Anyone who successfully "expects" a home run in a specific at bat from a career .344 slugger has missed his calling.

The TalkZone might have discovered a 2nd generation Nostradamus.
As I don't know you at all, I have no expectations of you. I expect JimR to be quick to be aggressive and occasionally grouchy. It's part of the fun of reading the threads here.

I suspect a few things about you, but I not strongly enough to venture any predictions.
Where the fuck is Toro?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »
As I don't know you at all, I have no expectations of you. I expect JimR to be quick to be aggressive and occasionally grouchy. It's part of the fun of reading the threads here.

I suspect a few things about you, but I not strongly enough to venture any predictions.

Uhm, Rascal used to be around a lot a while back.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 04:19:20 pm »
I watched Ausmus that entire year (and a few before that) and the last thing I thought in that scenario was HR.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

TxRascal

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 04:26:54 pm »

Your "suspect" probably enjoys the same degree of accuracy as your "expect".
"It's a bottom line business where a lot of gray suits are brought in and then, within two years, these guys suddenly know everything about baseball."  Don Drysdale

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 04:30:11 pm »
I watched Ausmus that entire year (and a few before that) and the last thing I thought in that scenario was HR.

We all know I watched Ausmus, probably more than most, and I never thought that was going to happen.  A hit maybe but a HR???

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 04:33:52 pm »
We all know I watched Ausmus, probably more than most, and I never thought that was going to happen.  A hit maybe but a HR???

Has the restraining order expired?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 04:36:01 pm »
Has the restraining order expired?

Doesn't matter, it never stopped me before.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 04:52:09 pm »

All I remember is screaming "RUN! WHY ARE YOU SLOWING DOWN? GO!"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 05:26:47 pm »

Watch out, wise  ass. He has friends here.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 05:38:28 pm »
I did not expect that specific HR from Ausmus. I expected Brad to get an HR now and then, which he seemed to do more often in the postseason. I had zero expectation that Marwin would get the HR in the 9th. Would have taken a bet against that happening if I bet against the Astros which I never ever do.

Which raises a question, what level of probability raises to the level of "expect" in the context of an at bat? Ausmus had a 3% chance (if my math is right, and it may not be) of getting an HR in a specific at bat, which was twice as good as his regular season percentage.

The only time I knew someone was going to get a HR was when Joe Carter hit one off of Mitch Williams. I was dead certain that was going to happen.

Oh, and when Bonds tied the HR record in Houston. Wasn't 100% that was going to happen but it was looking pretty good that the Astros pitcher they sent out to please the fans wasn't going to make Barry wait.

I think you must be getting paid by the word. Sure you did.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:44:01 pm by JimR »

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 05:38:45 pm »
Watch out, wise  ass. He has friends here.
This, I expected.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 05:39:45 pm »
I think you must be getting paid by the word. Sure youvdid.
fuck off JimR
Where the fuck is Toro?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 05:44:47 pm »
fuck off JimR

Seriously? You want to go there?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 05:54:39 pm »
Seriously? You want to go there?
not really. but here we are.
Where the fuck is Toro?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 10:18:36 pm »
I absolutely knew both were going to be home runs.  Really.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2017, 10:42:43 pm »
I vote Game 2 as the best because it was on the road (and because I was there). 

As far as Marwin vs. Brad on the unexpected HR scale, it’s not even close based on the year Marwin had.  Brad’s was way more unexpected.   Now include the pitchers in the equation, and a game-tying homer against Farnsworth is way more expected than one against Jansen. 
60% of the time... it works everytime.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 10:44:24 pm »
I vote Game 2 as the best because it was on the road (and because I was there). 

I was at Game 5.  Best. Game. Ever.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:26 pm »
not really. but here we are.

Nope. That’s where you are, and you are making a mistake. I have friends here too.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 12:19:39 am »
I was at Game 5.  Best. Game. Ever.

I was also, and yes it was.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2017, 05:30:26 am »
Ausmus
Burke
Marwin
???
Profit
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2017, 06:48:53 am »
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 07:19:36 am »
I was there to see Berkman's grand slam to get the Astros back in the game. Then Ausmus' to send it to extras, then Burke's for the win. Such a great game. Topped only by game 5 this year, and dammit, I wasn't there.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2017, 07:28:16 am »
Kent?

Hatcher
Despite losing the game, I will never forget that Billy club. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2017, 07:44:47 am »
Hatcher
Despite losing the game, I will never forget that Billy club.

that one really sticks in my mind, too. Maybe because it was in the Dome where the long ball was less than common.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 07:51:21 am »
I was there to see Berkman's grand slam to get the Astros back in the game. Then Ausmus' to send it to extras, then Burke's for the win. Such a great game. Topped only by game 5 this year, and dammit, I wasn't there.
I remember the game game pretty well, that was before I had MLBtv and had to watch the games on the radio.  I think it started at 2:00 am local and the plan was to get the win and hopefully grab an hour of sleep after the game before I went into work... that didn't happen.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2017, 09:45:24 am »
I absolutely knew both were going to be home runs.  Really.
NeilT, and I really believe you. Most likely a reward from the BBGs for the many ways you honor them. It is also possible that the spices found in Frito Pie act to de-calcify the pineal  gland, thus opening the third eye and providing you with subgenius-like powers in times of stress (like when the Astros are behind in the 9th and/or (both!) struggling to digest Frito Pie).
Where the fuck is Toro?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2017, 09:50:00 am »
NeilT, and I really believe you. Most likely a reward from the BBGs for the many ways you honor them. It is also possible that the spices found in Frito Pie act to de-calcify the pineal  gland, thus opening the third eye and providing you with subgenius-like powers in times of stress (like when the Astros are behind in the 9th and/or (both!) struggling to digest Frito Pie).

You're probably right.  It was kind of a gut feeling. 

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2017, 10:02:52 am »
I just watched a video of Ausmus's home run and I'm still not sure about it.

Anyway, when's the last time you watched Beyond the Glory : Brad Ausmus? Probably too long.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2017, 10:16:42 am »
smile and a belly-laugh. well done.
Where the fuck is Toro?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2017, 10:29:56 am »
I just watched a video of Ausmus's home run and I'm still not sure about it.

Anyway, when's the last time you watched Beyond the Glory : Brad Ausmus? Probably too long.

Want to bet???

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 10:59:00 am »

Very good. Wonder if Mr. Wordy got it?

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 11:01:04 am »
what is so awesome is our grands and great grands will be discussing this ws with awe and wonder. I do not see how it could ever be replicated
forever is composed entirely of nows

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 12:32:59 pm »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 02:55:13 pm »
Factoid: Altuve’s 3-run homer off Maeda to tie Game 5 followed a 9-pitch walk by Springer and a 10-pitch walk by Bregman off Kershaw with two outs and nobody on.

Here’s another I saw:   The Astros faced 3 elimination games this post-season, they never trailed at any point in any of them. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2017, 02:56:45 pm »
Here’s another I saw:   The Astros faced 3 elimination games this post-season, they never trailed at any point in any of them.

and outscored the opponents in them 16-2

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2017, 03:07:38 pm »
I still can't get over McCuller's lasting less than 3 innings,  hitting 4 batters, and the Astros escaping with zero runs allowed.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2017, 03:22:43 pm »
I still can't get over McCuller's lasting less than 3 innings,  hitting 4 batters, and the Astros escaping with zero runs allowed.

The luck we did not have in Game 6 showed up in Game 7. They squared up balls with runners on in the first and second, but hit them right at Altuve and Correa.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2017, 03:45:18 pm »
The luck we did not have in Game 6 showed up in Game 7. They squared up balls with runners on in the first and second, but hit them right at Altuve and Correa.

The biggest outs in Game 7 may have been Taylor's line drive double play. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2017, 03:47:10 pm »
The biggest outs in Game 7 may have been Taylor's line drive double play.

Don’t forget Pederson’s smash to Altuve with the bases loaded in the first.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2017, 04:07:06 pm »
Don’t forget Pederson’s smash to Altuve with the bases loaded in the first.

Of all the Dodgers,  he's the one I actually dislike.   

He's a cross between Chipper Jones and AJ Perszinsky (Yes I butchered his name,  screw him). 

ETA: that comparison may have been plagiarized from a GZ. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:17:08 pm by Astros Fan in Big D »

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2017, 04:44:12 pm »
I didn't like Pederson.  But then after his abomination home run trot, I really started to hate him.  I hope that the next Astros pitcher to face him (no matter how long its takes) drills him right in the ribs. 
Boom!

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2017, 04:55:20 pm »
When you put it like that it does seem a little miraculous. I thought the Dodgers showed some class in the way they handled being hit.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2017, 05:16:03 pm »
When you put it like that it does seem a little miraculous. I thought the Dodgers showed some class in the way they handled being hit.

So the real lesson here is if you're gonna miss with your fastball in game 7 of the WS, be sure to miss it somewhere on the batter's anatomy.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 05:42:06 pm »
fuck off JimR

I'd be careful there. Coach has a lot of friends here, including me.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2017, 05:43:38 pm »

No class required. They knew he was not trying to hit them.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2017, 05:48:47 pm »

Plus they were happy to be on base.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2017, 06:02:57 pm »

What did you expect them to do?  They got four free baserunners in the first three innings.  They should have been thrilled. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2017, 06:57:09 pm »
Here's a link to some game 2 factoids.  Little did any of us know the inanity that awaited in Game 5.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/259804050/10-amazing-facts-from-2017-world-series-game-2/

No one could have seen Gonzalez's game-tying home run off Jansen coming. Jansen had never blown a postseason save, and Gonzalez's homer came on an 0-2 count against Jansen's signature cutter. Before Game 2, Jansen had thrown 632 cutters in 0-2 counts in his career, including the postseason. Only two -- 0.3 percent -- had been hit for home runs -- against Melvin Upton Jr. and Denard Span in 2016. Those were also the only previous 0-2 homers Jansen had allowed.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2017, 08:17:02 am »
I didn't like Pederson.  But then after his abomination home run trot, I really started to hate him.  I hope that the next Astros pitcher to face him (no matter how long its takes) drills him right in the ribs.

I don't like him either.  In fact I believe that if he was in the AL he  would eventually reach the upper levels of my dislike reserved for the likes of Pooholes and Larry Wayne.  Smug shitass.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2017, 08:23:18 am »
I don't like him either.  In fact I believe that if he was in the AL he  would eventually reach the upper levels of my dislike reserved for the likes of Pooholes and Larry Wayne.  Smug shitass.

While I was trying to keep a clamp on my schadenfreude as Game 7 had concluded, I couldn't help but wonder what kind of dance Pederson was doing in the Dodgers' clubhouse.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2017, 09:12:50 am »
Agreed that it was obvious that McCullers wasn't trying to hit anyone. But in and out of a baseball game I've observed people act less than classy over much less.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2017, 09:45:52 am »
What did you expect them to do?  They got four free baserunners in the first three innings.  They should have been thrilled.
A range of behavior somewhere between Biggio and Ventura's responses to getting hit...Justin Turner didn't look exactly thrilled to get plunked twice in a row but I thought he handled it well when he might not have. Better than Wells giving the crowd extra time to boo Yuli, better than Joc strap's victory dance, I thought four, even unintentional, hit batters was a lot. Being behind in game seven of the world series helped the dodger players focus on the positive side of the free base.

But then again, I'm just fine with not agreeing on what is or isn't classy behavior. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:01:40 am by Mr. Appropriate »
Where the fuck is Toro?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:20 am »
I'd be careful there. Coach has a lot of friends here, including me.
I told JimR to fuck off because I thought he was being a dick. He throws " fuck off" around pretty freely, seems to take it pretty hard if he gets one himself. If you would, reread the exchange and if you think I am out of line let me know.
Where the fuck is Toro?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2017, 10:52:18 am »
While I was trying to keep a clamp on my schadenfreude as Game 7 had concluded, I couldn't help but wonder what kind of dance Pederson was doing in the Dodgers' clubhouse.

During the post-game interview, I half wanted George Springer to say "hey Pederson...[make the money sign]...fuck you!"  But I'm not *that* big of an asshole.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2017, 10:54:36 am »
A range of behavior somewhere between Biggio and Ventura's responses to getting hit...Justin Turner didn't look exactly thrilled to get plunked twice in a row but I thought he handled it well when he might not have. Better than Wells giving the crowd extra time to boo Yuli, better than Joc strap's victory dance, I thought four, even unintentional, hit batters was a lot. Being behind in game seven of the world series helped the dodger players focus on the positive side of the free base.

But then again, I'm just fine with not agreeing on what is or isn't classy behavior.

No one likes getting hit, but clearly none of it was intentional, and the Dodgers benefited from the baserunners.  Did you expect Turner to get tossed from Game 7 just to show he's some how manly?  It had nothing to do with being "classy" and everything to do with trying to win Game 7 of the World Series. 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2017, 11:05:25 am »
No one likes getting hit, but clearly none of it was intentional, and the Dodgers benefited from the baserunners.  Did you expect Turner to get tossed from Game 7 just to show he's some how manly?  It had nothing to do with being "classy" and everything to do with trying to win Game 7 of the World Series.

All that game needed was a good brawl.  Wasn't going to happen, but it's fun to think about. 

Other than Pederson and Yuli, I thought the teams' demeanor generally was great, and part of what made it such a fine series.  The post-series ad in the Chronicle was also a nice touch, though I doubt the players knew anything about it.   

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2017, 11:07:47 am »
During the post-game interview, I half wanted George Springer to say "hey Pederson...[make the money sign]...fuck you!"  But I'm not *that* big of an asshole.

Of all the idiotic on field celebrations,  the money thing is the one that identifies the celebrant as a class A jackwagon.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2017, 11:15:03 am »
No, I didn't expect that. I thought that was clear in my prior post, obviously it wasn't. I'm bored of this non-conversation. Hope you are too.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2017, 11:19:05 am »
All that game needed was a good brawl.  Wasn't going to happen, but it's fun to think about. 

Other than Pederson and Yuli, I thought the teams' demeanor generally was great, and part of what made it such a fine series.  The post-series ad in the Chronicle was also a nice touch, though I doubt the players knew anything about it.
+1. Though I also think Puig's relationship with his bat was a bit unorthodox for audiences outside of LA--i wonder if the bat prefers to be addressed with traditional pronouns or uses "they and them."

What was the Chronicle Ad?
Where the fuck is Toro?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2017, 11:23:41 am »
+1. Though I also think Puig's relationship with his bat was a bit unorthodox for audiences outside of LA--i wonder if the bat prefers to be addressed with traditional pronouns or uses "they and them."

What was the Chronicle Ad?

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/11/05/260718954/the-dodgers-took-out-a-full-page-ad-in-a-local-paper-to-wish-the-astros-congratulations

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2017, 11:31:46 am »
http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/11/05/260718954/the-dodgers-took-out-a-full-page-ad-in-a-local-paper-to-wish-the-astros-congratulations
Damn. Is that classy? Because I sure think it is. Hope the Astros don't have reason to take out a similar ad for the Dodgers.

Did the Astros do that for the White Sox? This is a common practice?

Where the fuck is Toro?

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2017, 12:06:22 pm »

What's SUPER classy is a Dodger reporter telling us how GODDAMN CLASSY this is via Twitter.

The gesture is great, but don't break an arm jacking yourself/your team off.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2017, 12:51:32 pm »

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2017, 01:31:37 pm »
What's SUPER classy is a Dodger reporter telling us how GODDAMN CLASSY this is via Twitter.

The gesture is great, but don't break an arm jacking yourself/your team off.

Disagree

-Texas Rangers

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2017, 01:37:38 pm »
Damn. Is that classy? Because I sure think it is. Hope the Astros don't have reason to take out a similar ad for the Dodgers.

IIRC, they did. Don’t know if it’s common or not.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2017, 01:37:46 pm »

I doubt if they took up a collection among the players, but it was a nice gesture.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »
No, I didn't expect that. I thought that was clear in my prior post, obviously it wasn't. I'm bored of this non-conversation. Hope you are too.

“I am bored with this conversation.” Is that one of the several steps of trolldome archived somewhere?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2017, 02:45:12 pm »
“I am bored with this conversation.” Is that one of the several steps of trolldome archived somewhere?

Who isn't tired of that "conversation?" 

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2017, 03:56:37 pm »
I call bullshit on you not knowing the steps of trolldome by heart. Or perhaps your question was rhetorical, and you are switching from being a dick to a douchebag. Either way go fuck yourself.
Where the fuck is Toro?

TxRascal

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2017, 04:12:31 pm »
I call bullshit on you not knowing the steps of trolldome by heart. Or perhaps your question was rhetorical, and you are switching from being a dick to a douchebag. Either way go fuck yourself.

Captain Obvious, you Sir are becoming tiresome.

It is neither wise nor effective to rise to every slight or aspersion you feel is cast your way.

To quote the time honored First Truth of the Talk Zone - "Read more, post less"

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2017, 04:15:29 pm »
Like the desert rose, an ephemeral bloom and a fleeting scent.
E come vivo? Vivo.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2017, 04:18:16 pm »

My, my. Colt .45 has a twin.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2017, 04:21:49 pm »

Cut the shit out.  The Astros won the World Series and this shit gets started?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2017, 06:08:21 pm »
Captain Obvious, you Sir are becoming tiresome.

It is neither wise nor effective to rise to every slight or aspersion you feel is cast your way.

To quote the time honored First Truth of the Talk Zone - "Read more, post less"
good advice, I'll heed it. sincerely.  have a great weekend.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2017, 06:10:17 pm »
Like the desert rose, an ephemeral bloom and a fleeting scent.
not quite sure what you mean by this  but my guess is you are fondly remembering your finger.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2017, 06:12:56 pm »
Don't think this shit has much to do with the Astros, but you make a good point. Hope your master finds work soon.
Where the fuck is Toro?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2017, 07:25:22 pm »
Don't think this shit has much to do with the Astros, but you make a good point. Hope your master finds work soon.

You are an asshole. Leave her the fuck alone. Curse me all you want. No one will care. But leave BG alone.

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2017, 08:39:17 pm »

Roy Moore is posting in the TZ now?
Fuck off.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2017, 08:59:57 pm »
Really? Going at BG now? Fuck you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2017, 08:38:20 am »
BudGirl, out of abundance of caution, I want to make it clear to you that I am not "going after you" like some people on the board seem to think. I think you are a bright spot here and appreciate your contribution to the community.

I agree with you. I think the conversation between JimR and myself is shit. But please consider this, who is the person on this board who can't get enough of this shit? Over the many years how many threads have this kind of sad, aggressive, hostile shit in them? What is the common denominator?

From my view, I think the answer is JimR. I think he can't get enough of this shit. Maybe you see it differently, I am wrong multiple times every fucking day.

JimR obviously likes you and might listen to you. JimR has a lot of friends here, but I think he needs at least one more to let him know when he is out of line.

In case it has been misunderstood, saying "hope your master finds work soon," refers to Brad Ausmus being between gigs in baseball. Since you refer to yourself as the Slave of Brad Ausmus, I intended that has a joke, not an insult. You and I both like Brad, albeit differently. If someone in your life who others here think of as "your master" is out of work--that is an unfortunate coincidence.

Genuinely wish you, and your devotion to Brad Ausmus all the best--yours is a love greater than any restraining order. So if I have offended you, I apologize. No offense was intended and though a bit wordy, I hope it removes any of the ambiguity in my prior post.
Where the fuck is Toro?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2017, 08:57:52 am »
BudGirl, out of abundance of caution, I want to make it clear to you that I am not "going after you" like some people on the board seem to think. I think you are a bright spot here and appreciate your contribution to the community.

I agree with you. I think the conversation between JimR and myself is shit. But please consider this, who is the person on this board who can't get enough of this shit? Over the many years how many threads have this kind of sad, aggressive, hostile shit in them? What is the common denominator?

From my view, I think the answer is JimR. I think he can't get enough of this shit. Maybe you see it differently, I am wrong multiple times every fucking day.

JimR obviously likes you and might listen to you. JimR has a lot of friends here, but I think he needs at least one more to let him know when he is out of line.

In case it has been misunderstood, saying "hope your master finds work soon," refers to Brad Ausmus being between gigs in baseball. Since you refer to yourself as the Slave of Brad Ausmus, I intended that has a joke, not an insult. You and I both like Brad, albeit differently. If someone in your life who others here think of as "your master" is out of work--that is an unfortunate coincidence.

Genuinely wish you, and your devotion to Brad Ausmus all the best--yours is a love greater than any restraining order. So if I have offended you, I apologize. No offense was intended and though a bit wordy, I hope it removes any of the ambiguity in my prior post.

You are too in love with verbosity or too dumb to take the hint from many, not only me. Whichever it is, STFU.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2017, 05:35:30 pm »

What an inappropriate name. One of the admins should change it to RMPLstiltskin.
Up in the Air

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2017, 07:37:52 am »
The "conversation" is riddled with nuance and inside jokes. Some of us actually know each other. Try being less reactive  Lose a bit of your ego and you will find things more pleasurable. Or you can go fuck yourself. I'm fine either way.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2017, 08:20:36 am »
someone should write a owa tz history.   Those of you who know my writing style, know better than to ask me.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2017, 09:35:07 am »

"apology" accepted but stop trying to police the board.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2017, 10:59:12 am »
The "conversation" is riddled with nuance and inside jokes. Some of us actually know each other. Try being less reactive  Lose a bit of your ego and you will find things more pleasurable. Or you can go fuck yourself. I'm fine either way.

Excellent

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2017, 05:32:41 am »
BCk to the topic at hand...

Four times in the postseason Hinch let a reliever finish a game by getting 11 outs or more—the first time in any postseason a team had so many lengthy game-finishing outings. Those four outings were as many as managed by every other team combined in the previous 26 postseasons.  Each one of the four was a different pitcher. 

Hinch was nails this post-season. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2017, 07:14:40 am »
BCk to the topic at hand...

Four times in the postseason Hinch let a reliever finish a game by getting 11 outs or more—the first time in any postseason a team had so many lengthy game-finishing outings. Those four outings were as many as managed by every other team combined in the previous 26 postseasons.  Each one of the four was a different pitcher. 

Hinch was nails this post-season.

Interesting. I wonder if this was the plan going into the postseason or if reaction on the fly by Hinch. I believe the latter when he saw Giles was struggling to close games out.

D.WARD

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2017, 08:23:50 am »

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. 

The World Series is over.  You can go back to being a Rangers fan now.  U FOO!

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:20 am »
Interesting. I wonder if this was the plan going into the postseason or if reaction on the fly by Hinch. I believe the latter when he saw Giles was struggling to close games out.

It was particularly apparent because of how Roberts handled his pitching.  If there was any single thing that won the series, it was how Hinch handled the pen.  Well that and Springer's hitting.  And the plays at the plate.  And lots of other stuff. 

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2017, 08:33:46 am »
Bigger turning point in the series: Marwin's homerun of Jansen or Yuli's homerun off Kershaw?
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2017, 08:44:38 am »
Marwin for me.  It was like Rocky 4 when Rocky got Drago to bleed.

Duke: You Cut him! You HURT him! You see. You see. He's not a Machine, He's a Man!

Plus it was in the 9th. Even without Yuli's homer, there is a decent chance the Astros still win game 5.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2017, 08:46:12 am »

It seemed to me that he was happy to stay with the hot hand, especially when the DH was "in vogue".  In the WS, Roberts seemed constrained by the stats and perceived advantages of certain match-ups while Hinch, ironically for the famously data-driven Astros, seemed to rely more on what he was seeing from his pitcher at that moment.  I wonder if baseball will ever again see a pitcher close out a game throwing 24 consecutive curveballs?

We know how things worked out, but some of it also has to be down to the fact that the Astros pitchers were prepared for the Dodgers' hitters in a way that the Dodgers' pitchers were not for the Astros.  The Astros knew the Dodgers could hit a low fastball, so trying to use a slider off a low fastball wasn't going to be successful.  Instead, they worked the fastball high, setting up the curve, knowing that the Dodgers would have trouble getting on top of the high fastball if they were thinking about the curve and, if they cheated on the fastball, they were dead meat if it wasn't one.  The strikeout rates for some of their vaunted™ hitters was astounding - especially Puig and Bellinger.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers stuck to their day-in, day-out pitch routines, and got clobbered.  Even Kershaw got royally thumped in Game #5 (4.2 IP, 6ER, 2Ks).  The Dodgers seemed to expect the Astros to make outs like it was a regular season game against the Padres.  They failed to adapt, were unable to improvise and so they failed to overcome.  Maybe it was inevitable, the Astros' lineup being that good, but they were supposed to have superior pitching and, notably, a vastly superior pen, but when it came down to it, their big name pitchers were the ones getting clobbered at the most inopportune times.  Contrast that to the Astros who closed out games with (no offense) reclamation projects like Peacock and Morton.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2017, 08:50:07 am »
Bigger turning point in the series: Marwin's homerun of Jansen or Yuli's homerun off Kershaw?

Marwin's dinger.  We lose Game #2 without it and - while I did not believe and bristled at the suggestion that Game #2...TWO...was a must-win for the Astros, it was hard to see them winning 4 out of 5 if they dropped that game.  In theory, we might not even get to Yuli's at-bat in Game #5 without Marwin's poke.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:52:35 am by Limey »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2017, 08:50:35 am »
Marwin for me.  It was like Rocky 4 when Rocky got Drago to bleed.

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2017, 08:54:57 am »
I know several Stranger fans for life who are sporting the other Texas baseball teams WORLD SERIES shirts.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:27 am »
I know several Stranger fans for life who are sporting the other Texas baseball teams WORLD SERIES shirts.

You needed to put "fans" in inverted commas.

It is a giant monkey off the Astros' back to get a WS win before the odious Rangers of Arlington.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2017, 09:04:12 am »
The biggest mismatch of the WS was Hinch versus Roberts. I'm glad that Roberts chose to manage like Brad Mills.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2017, 09:06:40 am »

Game 5 never happens if Game 2 doesn't. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2017, 09:56:22 am »
Game 5 never happens if Game 2 doesn't.

Thanks Yogi.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2017, 10:07:14 am »
Thanks Yogi.

He's very process-oriented. 

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2017, 10:08:34 am »
Marwin might have hit the most important HR in Astros history.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2017, 10:18:30 am »
Marwin might have hit the most important HR in Astros history.

The thought of going down in 4 straight games again is horrible and makes me feel dirty.  To counter that, we can bathe in the glory that was Game #5.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2017, 10:33:31 am »
The thought of going down in 4 straight games again is horrible and makes me feel dirty.  To counter that, we can bathe in the glory that was Game #5.

Thanks.   I will literally never get tired of watching the highlights from game 5. 
Boom!

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2017, 10:42:06 am »

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2017, 12:30:32 pm »
The biggest mismatch of the WS was Hinch versus Roberts. I'm glad that Roberts chose to manage like Brad Mills.

Several times commentators used the phrase "manages the game in front of him" in describing AJ.

What a performance by him all year.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2017, 12:31:39 pm »
Speaking of AJ, anyone know his contract details?   I know he signed an extension at some point.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2017, 12:46:30 pm »
To me, one thing that has gotten overlooked is Bregman's home run off Jansen in the 9th inning of Game 4.  It gave him a frame of reference for his game-winning AB against Jansen in Game 5.  Maybe not as important as Marwin's HR in Game 2, but would the Astros have won Game 5 without Bregman's seemingly meaningless (at the time) home run in Game 4?

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »
To me, one thing that has gotten overlooked is Bregman's home run off Jansen in the 9th inning of Game 4.  It gave him a frame of reference for his game-winning AB against Jansen in Game 5.  Maybe not as important as Marwin's HR in Game 2, but would the Astros have won Game 5 without Bregman's seemingly meaningless (at the time) home run in Game 4?

Immediately after game 5, still breathless,  Bregman said he was looking cutter because he  homered on the slider the night before.

So yes,  absolutely the HR he hit before played into his approach in the game 5 10th

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2017, 12:54:58 pm »

Not be inAppropriate, but based on what was written about Bregman in the ALDS series I knew that homerun wasn't nothing when it happened. For that reason, I had complete confidence in Bregman in game 5.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2017, 01:00:42 pm »
Immediately after game 5, still breathless,  Bregman said he was looking cutter because he  homered on the slider the night before.

So yes,  absolutely the HR he hit before played into his approach in the game 5 10th

I know.  Just saying that outside of Bregman's comment the Game 4 homer hasn't gotten much attention.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2017, 01:11:38 pm »
I know.  Just saying that outside of Bregman's comment the Game 4 homer hasn't gotten much attention.

Ah. That's just because most people aren't the savants we are here at OWA.

"The book" on pitchers (and hitters) gets much more info during these playoff series.   Smoltz also touched on one of the pitfalls of doing things the Roberts way: if you keep trotting out pitcher after pitcher,  chances are someone is going to fail. Do it night after night, and game 5 might happen.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2017, 01:13:32 pm »

"The book" on pitchers (and hitters) gets much more info during these playoff series.   Smoltz also touched on one of the pitfalls of doing things the Roberts way: if you keep trotting out pitcher after pitcher,  chances are someone is going to fail. Do it night after night, and game 5 might happen.

Smoltz was damn good in the postseason gig.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2017, 01:33:36 pm »
Smoltz was damn good in the postseason gig.

So glad fox didn't load the booth with multiple analysts like espn does.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2017, 01:40:08 pm »

It would have been better if they'd had someone to do the play-by-play. 

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2017, 01:43:48 pm »
It would have been better if they'd had someone to do the play-by-play. 

or showed the whole field.  You wouldn't know if a team was in the shift.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2017, 02:32:23 pm »
Ah. That's just because most people aren't the idiot savants we are here at OWA.

FIFY

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2017, 02:33:43 pm »

I never wanted to see a live game more.  All they wanted to do was show the face of the batter, then cut to the intense look of the pitcher, then cut to the face of the batter, then cut to the face of the pitcher.  Drove me nuts.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2017, 02:47:39 pm »
FIFY
definitely. definitely idiots.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2017, 02:57:12 pm »

The rigors of a 7-game series.  Everyone gets to know everyone else's stuff.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2017, 03:00:47 pm »

To be fair, Game #5 was crazy.  Game #2 was when Roberts gorvelled his pen to a loss after he took Hill out after only 4.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:43 pm »

More than once I thought someone had hit one through the gap into RF until the camera panned back and there was the 3rd baseman.  BuckPlugs had one job...

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2017, 03:03:40 pm »

The studio team was a critical mass of preening irrelevance.  There was nothing left to add to the stadium booth.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. 

The World Series is over.  You can go back to being a Rangers fan now.  U FOO!
you just proved the infinite monkey theory. Out of the nonsense emerges a portion of "Billy Madison." Keep going!
Where the fuck is Toro?

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2017, 03:17:08 pm »
even i know when to quit hammering a headless nail

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2017, 03:30:51 pm »
Game #2 was when Roberts gorvelled his pen to a loss after he took Hill out after only 4.

To be even further fair, Roberts was 50/50 on that approach.  Worked like a charm in Game 6.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2017, 03:39:50 pm »

I don't know man, there were two extremely close games that luckily both went the Astros' way. Roberts won just one less postseason victory than Hinch. Certainly pleased with the outcome, but am hesitant to claim that the big difference was the managers. Hinch definitely did an amazing job getting the most out of his team, especially his  bullpen. And also being patient with Springer.  I watched the Dodgers play seven games this year, and have no idea if Roberts could have used his players better.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2017, 03:48:24 pm »
To be even further fair, Roberts was 50/50 on that approach.  Worked like a charm in Game 6.

The fair left town in October.

His team lost,  therefore he sucks and every decision he made was wrong.   He should have been fired like Farrell and Girardi.

In seriousness,  it does go back to the idea of managing the game in front of you vs being dogmatic.   His bullpen was in better shape than the Astros pen,  so making it a contest between relievers made sense.  But what if you play all your cards and its time bring in Jansen but you need 6 outs?  Did you really need to pull Hill that early?  Maybe,  maybe not.

Or to put it another way, Boston and especially NY thought they had superior bullpens.  And the Astros got to all of them.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2017, 03:49:46 pm »

Hill got himself into a big jam in Game #6.  In Game #2, it was purely the manager's decision (that phrase sounds familiar...) to do a straight swap of Hill for Maeda between innings.  It was the whole third-time-through-the-order regular season doctrine that, in hindsight, should've been shelved in the post-season.

Once he'd done that, he was on a pitching treadmill and had to run like a bastard just to stand still.  Maeda begat Watson for one pitch, two outs (that phrase sounds familiar...) who begat Stripling (for four balls) who begat Morrow who begat Jansen (who coughed up the 2-run lead) who begat Fields (who gave up back-to-back jacks and a double) who begat Cingrani who begat McCarthy who was the last reliever available and who gave up the winning runs.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:52:59 pm by Limey »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2017, 04:04:59 pm »
In seriousness,  it does go back to the idea of managing the game in front of you vs being dogmatic.   His bullpen was in better shape than the Astros pen,  so making it a contest between relievers made sense.  But what if you play all your cards and its time bring in Jansen but you need 6 outs?  Did you really need to pull Hill that early?  Maybe,  maybe not.

Or to put it another way, Boston and especially NY thought they had superior bullpens.  And the Astros got to all of them.

Yes, there's definitely a Tank Commander element to what happened to Roberts because he'd never faced a lineup as relentless and unforgiving as the Astros.  Which sort of brings me back around to him needing to throw away his regular season strategies because there was nothing regular about what was going on.  He was backed into corners of his own making.

Conversely, Hinch made perhaps one tactical misstep: not pinch-running for McCann when he singled in Game #6, instead only bringing in Fisher once McCann had wobbled his way over the 3B on a double that would've scored anyone else on the roster not used mostly to DH.  Of course, Reddick whiffing in front of the pitcher's spot had as much to do with that run not scoring as Hinch's late decision to pinch run but, if you're going to pinch run, do it straight away when he can do some damage.

For the record, if any of that sounds like whining bitchiness, it's not meant that way at all.  Just part of the fun of performing a microscopic dissection of everything that happened.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:08:40 pm by Limey »

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2017, 04:20:42 pm »
Speaking of the tank commander,  remember the gif of him flipping out in exasperation in the 2011 WS?

I thought of that when I first saw Roberts reaction to the Correa moon shot in the 7th inning of Game 5.  Roberts is a cool customer,  but this one got to him.

Around the 1:47 mark:
https://youtu.be/9GRNCez-Z9M

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2017, 04:21:40 pm »
Yes, there's definitely a Tank Commander element to what happened to Roberts because he'd never faced a lineup as relentless and unforgiving as the Astros.  Which sort of brings me back around to him needing to throw away his regular season strategies because there was nothing regular about what was going on.  He was backed into corners of his own making.
Still Astros lineup was not so relentless and unforgiving at times in New York. Think it was pitching that contributed more in the NY series. Never watched so much post season baseball before and now appreciate how different it is from the regular season. Got what I wanted, Astros played the three best teams and beat them all. Astros lineup hit an amazing number of elite pitchers in game on the line (and season on the line) situations. Fun to wonder how many of the Killer ABC'S (Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Springer) could end up in the hall.
Where the fuck is Toro?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2017, 04:27:48 pm »
Speaking of the tank commander,  remember the gif of him flipping out in exasperation in the 2011 WS?

I thought of that when I first saw Roberts reaction to the Correa moon shot in the 7th inning of Game 5.  Roberts is a cool customer,  but this one got to him.

Dammit....my eyes started watering all over again watching that.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2017, 04:38:17 pm »
Still Astros lineup was not so relentless and unforgiving at times in New York. Think it was pitching that contributed more in the NY series. Never watched so much post season baseball before and now appreciate how different it is from the regular season. Got what I wanted, Astros played the three best teams and beat them all. Astros lineup hit an amazing number of elite pitchers in game on the line (and season on the line) situations. Fun to wonder how many of the Killer ABC'S (Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Springer) could end up in the hall.

Bregman is a new phenomenon so it's hard to make any predictions about him but, barring some bad luck, it seems likely that Altuve, Correa and Springer will end up in Cooperstown.  Hopefully all with H's on their caps.

As for beating the best teams, you can only beat who the game puts in front of you.  But I think it's clear that we caught a break in the ALCS getting the Yankees with home field advantage, instead of the Indians on the road.  That's not to say that the Astros would not have beaten the Indians, but the Yankees are built almost exclusively to win at home and their road performances suffer as a direct result.  In that series, of course, all 7 games were won by the home team, with the Yankees scoring a grand total of 3 runs at "hitter friendly" MMP in four games.

As an aside, it's ironic that the Astros were in danger of getting undone by the idiosyncrasies of Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium, in the first year since the removal of Tal's Hill.  I remember one looooong fly out by an Astro in the World Series (can't remember when / who) that would've had Taylor trying to make a play running up the hill backwards.  To my recollection, only Beltran made that look routine (but I have missed some time).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:46:17 pm by Limey »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2017, 04:41:25 pm »

Makes a change from being asleep at the wheel.  Allegedly.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2017, 05:04:09 pm »
Bregman is a new phenomenon so it's hard to make any predictions about him but, barring some bad luck, it seems likely that Altuve, Correa and Springer will end up in Cooperstown.  Hopefully all with H's on their caps.

As for beating the best teams, you can only beat who the game puts in front of you.  But I think it's clear that we caught a break in the ALCS getting the Yankees with home field advantage, instead of the Indians on the road.  That's not to say that the Astros would not have beaten the Indians, but the Yankees are built almost exclusively to win at home and their road performances suffer as a direct result.  In that series, of course, all 7 games were won by the home team, with the Yankees scoring a grand total of 3 runs at "hitter friendly" MMP in four games.

As an aside, it's ironic that the Astros were in danger of getting undone by the idiosyncrasies of Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium, in the first year since the removal of Tal's Hill.  I remember one looooong fly out by an Astro in the World Series (can't remember when / who) that would've had Taylor trying to make a play running up the hill backwards.  To my recollection, only Beltran made that look routine (but I have missed some time).
I appreciate home field eccentricities (and the advantages they provide) but always thought Tal's hill was a poor execution of the idea. Of the four (and its hard to choose)  Bregman is my favorite and am looking forward to see what he does. Altuve is certainly one of the most likable men to perform at the very top level, but his agent isn't. Doubt Altuve will play for the Astros his whole career but hope he chooses to be remembered as one. 
Where the fuck is Toro?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2017, 05:55:28 pm »
you just proved the infinite monkey theory. Out of the nonsense emerges a portion of "Billy Madison." Keep going!

You have not learned a thing.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2017, 06:08:22 pm »
Hill got himself into a big jam in Game #6.  In Game #2, it was purely the manager's decision (that phrase sounds familiar...) to do a straight swap of Hill for Maeda between innings.  It was the whole third-time-through-the-order regular season doctrine that, in hindsight, should've been shelved in the post-season.

Both games he consistently applied the third-time-through-the-order rule (exception in Game 6 he technically faced Springer a third time for an IBB).  The only difference is that he got two extra outs in Game 6 before hitting that third-time-through (4 IP in G2 versus 4.2 IP in G6).  In both games Jansen pitched two innings. 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2017, 06:12:59 pm »
Both games he consistently applied the third-time-through-the-order rule (exception in Game 6 he technically faced Springer a third time for an IBB).  The only difference is that he got two extra outs in Game 6 before hitting that third-time-through (4 IP in G2 versus 4.2 IP in G6).  In both games Jansen pitched two innings.

I guess one of the real story lines wasn't Roberts managing, but the fragility of Chapman and Kimbrel and Jansen et al. against that kind of lineup.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2017, 06:37:33 pm »
Nice Simpson's reference.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2017, 09:49:57 pm »
JimR,  why is it you remind me of ed kemper?
Where the fuck is Toro?

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2017, 10:33:41 pm »
barring some bad luck, it seems likely that Altuve, Correa and Springer will end up in Cooperstown.  Hopefully all with H's on their caps.

Likely???  From your mouth to god's ear as they say.  But it is wayyy to early to start talking about the hall of fame for any of them.

I will say this, however.  Correa is already the best shortstop in Astros history.  I believe that Bregman will be the best third-baseman in Astros history.  The Astros have had some pretty good outfielders so I'm not sure where Springer fits in.  But Altuve compares very favorably to Biggio. 

Boom!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2017, 10:39:40 pm »
Likely???  From your mouth to god's ear as they say.  But it is wayyy to early to start talking about the hall of fame for any of them.

I will say this, however.  Correa is already the best shortstop in Astros history.  I believe that Bregman will be the best third-baseman in Astros history.  The Astros have had some pretty good outfielders so I'm not sure where Springer fits in.  But Altuve compares very favorably to Biggio.

I don't see Biggio and Altuve as anywhere near the same player.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2017, 10:49:32 pm »
I don't see Biggio and Altuve as anywhere near the same player.
If you mean Biggio never had a post season like Altuve just had I agree. Nor did Biggio put up mvp batting production like Altuve in 2017. Biggio did perform at a very high level for a long time and earned his place in Cooperstown. One of the similarities I see is that they both seem like great men on and off the field. Hope Altuve stays healthy and has a long career.
Where the fuck is Toro?

D.WARD

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2017, 08:30:23 am »
JimR,  why is it you remind me of ed kemper?

U FOO!  Go back to Arlington. 

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:12 am »
U FOO!  Go back to Arlington.
Don't feed the bears trolls.
Up in the Air

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2017, 08:49:52 am »

That reminded me of Garner throwing the chair in 2005...
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2017, 08:52:37 am »

In order of liklitude:

Altuve is a hitting machine who has more pop than should be expected from someone with his mind-boggling average, rarely strikes out, has superior defensive skills and has that extra something that makes him an extraordinary teammate and player.

Correa has superior defensive skills at a (perhaps the) skill position in the defense.  He hits for high average with low a strikeout rate and far-above average power and overall production from his position.

Springer has solid defensive skills, hits for high average with low a strikeout rate and above average power for the outfield (he looks better against his peers when compared to Central Gardeners rather than RFers, though).  A WS MVP award is the sort of resume-boosting icing that will count in his favor, especially if he picks up a few more.

These are all young men putting on extraordinary displays.  If they continue at or near this level of play, they will cruise into the Hall, IMHO.  The "if" is why I said "likely" and not "locks", because there's far too much ground to traverse between now and then.  They will all need to play hard for another 10 years or so...or take the easy route and sign with the Yankees.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2017, 09:08:18 am »
But Altuve compares very favorably to Biggio.

Very polite understatement. 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:57 am »

At this stage Altuve compares favorably to Ty Cobb.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2017, 09:53:25 am »
Don't feed the bears trolls.

+1

but every now and then its fun to feed a troll and see what happens.
Where the fuck is Toro?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2017, 10:12:39 am »
+1

but every now and then its fun to feed a troll and see what happens.

Not really.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2017, 10:39:50 am »
Not really.
also a very polite understatement. let's see how many people agree.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2017, 10:54:39 am »
At this stage Altuve compares favorably to Ty Cobb.

In both skill and deportment. 

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2017, 01:17:43 pm »
Still Astros lineup was not so relentless and unforgiving at times in New York. Think it was pitching that contributed more in the NY series.

I'm going to push back a little here.  No lineup, not even the '27 Yanks, did not have periods that lacked production, especially against strong competition.  Just because a lineup is not producing at that moment does not mean they are not relentless and doing productive things like wearing down pitchers, getting deep into bullpens, etc...  The Astros pitching did indeed do well.  The offense was indeed relentless, so much so that they beat a very good team with good starters and an excellent bullpen.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2017, 01:55:40 pm »

I had to think about how to state it.  I don't think you can possibly say that Altuve is better than Biggio.  I mean, just look at what Biggio did between 1994-2001.  He had ridiculous seasons. 

That being said, Altuve is more "fun" than Biggio and an easier player to like.

And Altuve has had success in the post-season and Biggio was generally a bust.   
Boom!

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2017, 02:01:26 pm »
In order of liklitude:

Altuve is a hitting machine who has more pop than should be expected from someone with his mind-boggling average, rarely strikes out, has superior defensive skills and has that extra something that makes him an extraordinary teammate and player.

Correa has superior defensive skills at a (perhaps the) skill position in the defense.  He hits for high average with low a strikeout rate and far-above average power and overall production from his position.

Springer has solid defensive skills, hits for high average with low a strikeout rate and above average power for the outfield (he looks better against his peers when compared to Central Gardeners rather than RFers, though).  A WS MVP award is the sort of resume-boosting icing that will count in his favor, especially if he picks up a few more.

These are all young men putting on extraordinary displays.  If they continue at or near this level of play, they will cruise into the Hall, IMHO.  The "if" is why I said "likely" and not "locks", because there's far too much ground to traverse between now and then.  They will all need to play hard for another 10 years or so...or take the easy route and sign with the Yankees.

I find it interesting that you say that Correa has superior defensive skills.  I totally agree.  And I was a little surprised that neither Correa, Springer, nor Altuve were at least finalists for golden gloves. 

I agree that if these guys continue at this level of play for 10 years, they will be likely hall of famers.  I just think that it is hard to judge whether or not Correa or Springer will be in the hall of fame when they have less than 2000 career at bats.  If Altuve wins the MVP this year, that would obviously be a major feather in his HOF hat. 
Boom!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2017, 02:39:56 pm »
I find it interesting that you say that Correa has superior defensive skills.  I totally agree.  And I was a little surprised that neither Correa, Springer, nor Altuve were at least finalists for golden gloves. 

I agree that if these guys continue at this level of play for 10 years, they will be likely hall of famers.  I just think that it is hard to judge whether or not Correa or Springer will be in the hall of fame when they have less than 2000 career at bats.  If Altuve wins the MVP this year, that would obviously be a major feather in his HOF hat.

If Altuve wins the MVP TODAY.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2017, 02:41:37 pm »

Given how well they hit, this is a very curious omission.

Agreed.  With specific regard to Correa, I saw some comments from him where he recognized that he won't be able to play SS forever, and will likely migrate to the outfield at some point.  If and when that happens, it will be interesting to see if his time a SS will be recognized by the HoF voters or whether they'll lump him in with career outfielders at which point his offensive prowess will pale a little in comparison.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2017, 02:44:43 pm »
I had to think about how to state it.  I don't think you can possibly say that Altuve is better than Biggio.  I mean, just look at what Biggio did between 1994-2001.  He had ridiculous seasons. 

That being said, Altuve is more "fun" than Biggio and an easier player to like.

And Altuve has had success in the post-season and Biggio was generally a bust.

Biggio's best of his "ridiculous" seasons would be an average one for Altuve.  Biggio got on base a little more often and stole more bases, but Altuve hits with more power and drives in more runs.  Most of the difference is in where they hit in the order and ballparks.  Overall offensive production, Biggio's best is the expectation for Altuve.  Altuve is the far superior defensive player.  I'm baffled as to how anyone can say Biggio was the better player. 

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2017, 02:46:57 pm »
Although there are many similarities, Altuve to Biggio is apples to oranges. It's unfair to them both. We are blessed to have watched them both in  Astros unis...hopefully for many more years.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2017, 02:53:23 pm »
Although there are many similarities, Altuve to Biggio is apples to oranges. It's unfair to them both. We are blessed to have watched them both in  Astros unis...hopefully for many more years.

+1

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2017, 03:00:40 pm »
Biggio's best of his "ridiculous" seasons would be an average one for Altuve.  Biggio got on base a little more often and stole more bases, but Altuve hits with more power and drives in more runs.  Most of the difference is in where they hit in the order and ballparks.  Overall offensive production, Biggio's best is the expectation for Altuve.  Altuve is the far superior defensive player.  I'm baffled as to how anyone can say Biggio was the better player.

Biggio had 9 seasons with 20+ home runs.  Altuve has had 2.  So I'm not sure how you say that Altuve has more power.  Biggio had 5 seasons with 118 runs + scored, including 146 in 1997.  In Altuve's 7 seasons, he has had two seasons of 100 + runs.   I love Altuve.  I enjoy watching him more a whole lot more than Biggio.  But Biggio was a consistently excellent player for many more years than Altuve has even been in baseball.   

Boom!

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2017, 03:14:56 pm »
Biggio had 9 seasons with 20+ home runs.  Altuve has had 2.  So I'm not sure how you say that Altuve has more power.  Biggio had 5 seasons with 118 runs + scored, including 146 in 1997.  In Altuve's 7 seasons, he has had two seasons of 100 + runs.   I love Altuve.  I enjoy watching him more a whole lot more than Biggio.  But Biggio was a consistently excellent player for many more years than Altuve has even been in baseball.

To make that comparison, I think you'd have to compare Biggio at 27 to Altuve at 27.  Altuve is just now reaching what most of us would consider prime baseball years.

I guess my sense is that Biggio may have been one of the ten best second basemen ever.  If Altuve keeps going the way he's going he may be one of the twenty best players ever. 

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2017, 03:33:40 pm »

Sounds like someone needs to be reminded that Rafael Palmeiro won a Gold Glove at first base despite starting 128 games as a DH.

I did some comparisons of Altuve today vs. Biggio thru 1995.  Biggio ended 1995 with 4482 plate appearances; Altuve currently has 4311.  I was surprised to find that Altuve has more stolen bases than Biggio did at that point in his career.  Altuve has also already matched Biggio's mark for 30+ SB seasons for his entire career.

The full comparison of Biggo thru '95 vs. Altuve:

Slash lines: Biggio .285/.369/.415, Altuve .316/.362/.453
Hits: Biggio 1105, Altuve 1250
Doubles: Biggio 243, Altuve 221
Triples: Biggio 24, Altuve 23
HR: Biggio 79, Altuve 84
RBI: Biggio 389, Altuve 403
Runs: Biggio 615, Altuve 561
SB: Biggio 196, Altuve 231
K: Biggio 574, Altuve 462
WS rings: Biggio 0, Altuve 1

Of course, Biggio's peak years were still ahead of him, but Biggio was also two years older and his peak years have already been matched (if not eclipsed) by Altuve.

Altuve is clearly the better player.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:41:44 pm by Waldo »

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2017, 03:37:40 pm »
Nice work,  Waldo.

The SB numbers surprised me the most.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2017, 03:38:52 pm »
Altuve is clearly the better player.

so far...

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2017, 03:44:38 pm »

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2017, 03:50:16 pm »
I guess the results would be even more stark if you compared 27 to 27.  Nice work. 

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2017, 03:53:46 pm »
To make that comparison, I think you'd have to compare Biggio at 27 to Altuve at 27.  Altuve is just now reaching what most of us would consider prime baseball years.

I guess my sense is that Biggio may have been one of the ten best second basemen ever.  If Altuve keeps going the way he's going he may be one of the twenty best players ever.

The problem with comparing the two through age 27 season (or through the 1995 seasons as some have done) is that Biggio played all of those seasons in the dome and Altuve is playing in MMP.  Big difference certainly in terms of HR numbers.  Plus, Biggio's first three seasons were as a catcher as opposed to a second baseman, which also impacts the offensive numbers. 

I definitely agree with Neil's latter sentiment. 

But if Altuve stopped playing tomorrow, would we say that he was one of the top ten second basemen of all time?  Probably not.  Which is why I don't think you can say that Altuve is a better player than Biggio at this time.

But I agree that if Altuve continues to produce as he is doing now, there is no question that we will think of him as being a better player than Biggio.       
Boom!

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2017, 03:54:15 pm »
That K number is amazing. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2017, 08:35:45 pm »

Obviously Altuve has not played as long as Biggio did. Using counting stats is pointless. If you want to compare careers, that’s one thing. But to say Biggio was a better player than Altuve is is simply not born out in the numbers or in the anectdotal evidence.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2017, 08:19:33 am »
Thankfully the void is over, wasn’t too sure I would survive it… anyway Perth Heat season opener has been played and won.  A 9 – 1 victory on the road is a nice way to start the season.   The Heat have four TB minor leaguers on the roster, one is a guy from Waco TX named Zacrey Law who had a night, two HR’s on debut will make you pretty popular at your new club.  I just realised tonight I won’t be in town for the Heat’s home opener but hopefully I can catch a game on the weekend.  I can’t wait to walk around the ball park with the rainbow jersey and Astros on field cap, I am really loving baseball right now and still cannot get enough of it right now.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:51 am »
Thankfully the void is over, wasn’t too sure I would survive it… anyway Perth Heat season opener has been played and won.  A 9 – 1 victory on the road is a nice way to start the season.   The Heat have four TB minor leaguers on the roster, one is a guy from Waco TX named Zacrey Law who had a night, two HR’s on debut will make you pretty popular at your new club.  I just realised tonight I won’t be in town for the Heat’s home opener but hopefully I can catch a game on the weekend.  I can’t wait to walk around the ball park with the rainbow jersey and Astros on field cap, I am really loving baseball right now and still cannot get enough of it right now.

Is every team in Australia called the "Heat"?  I suspect it's either that or the "Deadly Venomous Creatures".

As a fun aside, many moons ago I was working for Woodside on some insurance on their offshore platforms in the (uptown, top) Rankin Field offshore western Australia.  The safety manager explained to us how they ran all the possible emergency drills, with the exception of man-overboard drills.  "Why was that?" we asked.  "Well," he explained, "when we threw the dummies over the side, they were instantly ripped to pieces by a teeming school of sharks.  So we stopped doing that for sake of morale, but it did focus our guys' attention on handrail and safety line protocols!"

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2017, 08:37:10 am »
Sounds like someone needs to be reminded that Rafael Palmeiro won a Gold Glove at first base despite starting 128 games as a DH.
But those were error-free games at DH.
Up in the Air

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2017, 09:33:36 am »
Obviously Altuve has not played as long as Biggio did. Using counting stats is pointless. If you want to compare careers, that’s one thing. But to say Biggio was a better player than Altuve is is simply not born out in the numbers or in the anectdotal evidence.

Astros have been blessed at 2B over the years. There is a good story in today's Chronicle about Doran's influence on Biggio. I would link it but I have reached my limit of free Chronicle on-line offerings for the month.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2017, 02:58:24 pm »

+1 It's not even close.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »
Astros have been blessed at 2B over the years. There is a good story in today's Chronicle about Doran's influence on Biggio. I would link it but I have reached my limit of free Chronicle on-line offerings for the month.

For the past 34 years (since 1983) the Astros have had just 7 regular starters at second base: Doran, Candaele, Biggio, Kent, Matsui, Keppinger, and Altuve.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2017, 03:21:34 pm »
For the past 34 years (since 1983) the Astros have had just 7 regular starters at second base: Doran, Candaele, Biggio, Kent, Matsui, Keppinger, and Altuve.

Think of how good Dickie Thon might have been.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2017, 03:48:29 pm »
Think of how good Dickie Thon might have been.

I've tried for 30 not to think about good Thon might have been. (not as good as Correa but the standard has changed).

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2017, 04:13:11 pm »
I've tried for 30 not to think about good Thon might have been. (not as good as Correa but the standard has changed).

Fuck the steM.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 17, 2017, 05:47:32 pm »

20 HR in a season for an Astros SS in the 80s.

What could have been.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2017, 05:41:16 am »
Is every team in Australia called the "Heat"?  I suspect it's either that or the "Deadly Venomous Creatures".

As a fun aside, many moons ago I was working for Woodside on some insurance on their offshore platforms in the (uptown, top) Rankin Field offshore western Australia.  The safety manager explained to us how they ran all the possible emergency drills, with the exception of man-overboard drills.  "Why was that?" we asked.  "Well," he explained, "when we threw the dummies over the side, they were instantly ripped to pieces by a teeming school of sharks.  So we stopped doing that for sake of morale, but it did focus our guys' attention on handrail and safety line protocols!"
Not all called Heat, we also have the Perth Scorchers but I can see a theme.    Never been in, or on, the water up near the North West Shelf but I had a huge tiger shark (I think) swim under my boat in the Exmouth Gulf one time.  My boat is 4.5m and the fucker looked like it was nearly that length.  Saw a huge hammerhead out there once too, gives you a chill when you see them that close and you are only sitting in a tin can.    What time of the year were you there? The weather can be fucking brutal in the wet season.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2017, 04:44:53 pm »

Streaming the Perth Heat game in about three hours’ time for all you inson folks who can’t sleep.
http://www.theabl.com.au/content/page.jsp?ymd=20170914&content_id=254195482&fext=.jsp&sid=l595&vkey=league1

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2017, 08:01:38 pm »
Streaming the Perth Heat game in about three hours’ time for all you inson folks who can’t sleep.
http://www.theabl.com.au/content/page.jsp?ymd=20170914&content_id=254195482&fext=.jsp&sid=l595&vkey=league1

I've got the stream up, go Perth DANGEROUSLY DEADLY POISONOUS EVERYHINGS!

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2017, 08:06:21 pm »
I've got the stream up, go Perth DANGEROUSLY DEADLY POISONOUS EVERYHINGS!
I see some of the shows on National Geographic and wonder how we survive.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2017, 08:34:05 pm »
I see some of the shows on National Geographic and wonder how we survive.

And weirdly there's another person from Austin in the Youtube chat.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2017, 08:35:01 pm »

Also, it appears there are maybe 20 people at that game.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 18, 2017, 08:41:58 pm »
I don't generally follow the youtube chat but I have been seen a couple of times where friends and relations of the import players will watch at all hours of the day like to comment.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2017, 08:43:32 pm »
I don't generally follow the youtube chat but I have been seen a couple of times where friends and relations of the import players will watch at all hours of the day like to comment.

Lot of chat in the box, mostly just about MLB baseball. I stopped paying attention after the game started, because it's inane yammering.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2017, 08:48:15 pm »
Lot of chat in the box, mostly just about MLB baseball. I stopped paying attention after the game started, because it's inane yammering.
I would like to say the Perth broadcast is better, but I wont because you may check it out some day.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2017, 08:54:04 pm »
I would like to say the Perth broadcast is better, but I wont because you may check it out some day.

I love the fact that the announcers sound like a brother and sister doing a podcast in their parents basement.

It's actually refreshingly nice. They're obviously enjoying themselves, and not taking it too seriously.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 18, 2017, 08:58:30 pm »
I like that ballcap the Aces are sporting.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 18, 2017, 08:59:04 pm »
I love the fact that the announcers sound like a brother and sister doing a podcast in their parents basement.

It's actually refreshingly nice. They're obviously enjoying themselves, and not taking it too seriously.
Yeah, the Wayne's World of sports broadcasting.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 18, 2017, 08:59:50 pm »
PERTH VAUNTING!

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 18, 2017, 09:01:18 pm »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2017, 10:01:32 am »

See Buck, Plugs.