Author Topic: World Series - Game Four. Astros v. Dodgers. Oct. 28, 2017  (Read 13938 times)

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: World Series - Game Four. Astros v. Dodgers. Oct. 28, 2017
« Reply #420 on: October 28, 2017, 10:54:21 pm »
Give it time and the score would be.

I love your optimism.  Or the score would be worse.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 28, 2017, 10:55:19 pm »
If anything, putting him in any situation that is not 9th-inning-save-situation is a recipe for disaster.

But seriously then how do you justify not trading him?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Nate in IA

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 28, 2017, 10:57:22 pm »
Seriously... Watching the MLB Network postgame..   "No Peacock available, so the bullpen was thin.. "    Do these people not know who is in the bullpen for the Astros?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 28, 2017, 10:58:34 pm »
But seriously then how do you justify not trading him?

I don't think Giles will be in the bullpen next season.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 28, 2017, 11:06:06 pm »

As much as I love Luhnow I do worry he's got too much affinity for Giles.  I think he takes a lot of pride in that trade for Giles.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #425 on: October 28, 2017, 11:06:27 pm »
Move him into the rotation eh? Now you’re thinking outside the box!
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 28, 2017, 11:07:22 pm »
Seriously... Watching the MLB Network postgame..   "No Peacock available, so the bullpen was thin.. "    Do these people not know who is in the bullpen for the Astros?
Can't blame them, Hinch (and everyone else) isn't sure either.
Where the fuck is Toro?

The Third Man

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 28, 2017, 11:07:34 pm »
Having a shaky closer in the playoffs is depressing. From Dave Smith to Ken Giles, we've seen a few.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 28, 2017, 11:10:24 pm »
Move him into the rotation eh? Now you’re thinking outside the box!
I’m unknowingly brilliant like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 28, 2017, 11:11:25 pm »
As much as I love Luhnow I do worry he's got too much affinity for Giles.  I think he takes a lot of pride in that trade for Giles.
Does the GM pressure the Manager to use his pet project? Seriously, didn't know that happens. I am sure guys sometimes get at bats and starts because a lot of money is being paid to them, but they also play because a GM is proud of a trade? And in the World Series? The Verlander trade establishes Luhnow as the Sultan of Swap, doesn't need Giles to succeed to look fucking awesome.
Where the fuck is Toro?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 28, 2017, 11:12:34 pm »
Bullpen schmulpen. Two fucking hits. Not gonna win many game that way. Gotta come out and send Kershaw to the showers early tomorrow or it's the end of the line.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 28, 2017, 11:20:41 pm »
Bullpen schmulpen. Two fucking hits. Not gonna win many game that way. Gotta come out and send Kershaw to the showers early tomorrow or it's the end of the line.
I approve this message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2017, 11:27:25 pm »
Does the GM pressure the Manager to use his pet project? Seriously, didn't know that happens. I am sure guys sometimes get at bats and starts because a lot of money is being paid to them, but they also play because a GM is proud of a trade? And in the World Series? The Verlander trade establishes Luhnow as the Sultan of Swap, doesn't need Giles to succeed to look fucking awesome.

I'm talking about an after season trade question.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 28, 2017, 11:32:16 pm »

Well they could have won with just the one hit.

I saw a stat that said the Astros had 10 batted balls of 95mph or higher but only the 2 hits.  Balls hit that hard are more often hits than outs 80% of the time.  Some bad luck there.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 28, 2017, 11:32:40 pm »

Yes.

8 innings with 1 hit?  Tip your cap or rip the hitters or both or neither; it can't happen again

baron

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2017, 11:43:49 pm »
Quote from: AJ Hinch in the Thursday Chronicle
And I did say Giles did play a pivotal role, not in giving up the run but in the outs he did get. That's part of my job that I feel good about. ... I think Ken Giles is going to get another save in this series. I think he's going to get some really big outs. I think when the crowd is standing in this ballpark over the next couple of games, if we can have the lead and he's the right matchup, he's going to get the last out. He's done it

http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-manager-A-J-Hinch-backs-embattled-12310086.php
Quote from: NYT
On the Web ... is a recording of what she describes as her latest track, “What We Want,” a hip-hop-inflected rhythm-and-blues tune that asks, "Can you handle me, boy?" and uses some dated slang, calling someone her "boo."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 29, 2017, 10:07:49 am »
Well they could have won with just the one hit.

Sure, it's possible to get no hit and win. But run that strategy out there and see how it works. A couple of well struck balls found leather, but by and large the Astros did not have good at bats. They were patient, got ahead in the count, and its like they went into protection mode, like they were down 0-2. Lots of weak swings. Didn't help that Wood was getting 4-6 inches up, down, in and out.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.