Author Topic: Springer's At-Bats  (Read 6512 times)

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Springer's At-Bats
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:05:57 pm »
...are driving me insane. Surely, by this point, a trusted teammate or coach has strongly suggested that he remember the other 66% of the field, instead of trying to yank every single pitch out to left. So I'm just trying to understand why he continues to flail away like this - he looks like Rookie Springer. It's really disappointing, because it seemed like he'd come so far these last two years - this year especially.

I'm sincerely curious what people think is going on. Is it:

1. He knows he should be going the other way (or at least up the middle), but he's so extra-amped-up that he can't help himself, pitch after pitch after pitch his eyes light up and he sees the ball soaring into the left-field bleachers, thinking "ok, NEXT time I'll hit it the other way..."

2. Perhaps he briefly tried going the other way, but had a bad AB or two (I don't recall one where that looked like his approach, but I dunno...) and got discouraged, thinking "if I just stick with my strength, eventually I'll pull out of this funk..."

3. Due to pressure he's putting on himself, or dreams of postseason HR glory, or whatever, he really just has decided to keep trying to hit every pitch out of the ballpark, screw going the other way, screw being selective.

4. _______________.

I honestly don't get it. George has shown that he's smarter than this. He's gotten into funks since he became a more complete hitter, but never this bad, and never for this long. It's a bummer because this team needs to feed off of his positive energy and his positive at-bats.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Springer's At-Bats
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:29:55 pm »
4. He was facing Clayton Kershaw
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 07:15:09 am »
4. He was facing Clayton Kershaw
That’s one game. He’s been doing this since the ALDS began.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 07:39:53 am »
To me, it's a variant of your #3, but not conscious.  Simply stress, or pressure if that's what you want to call it not that he is putting on himself, just pressure of the moment.  Humans tend to revert to bad habits under stress and objective thoughts like "go the other way" recede. 

I've never been able to figure out why, or when athletes break out of these things, but they do.  Tonight's the night for such a thing.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:52:47 am »
He has always taken a big swing, whether he is going good or bad. To me, the problem is impatience and chasing bad pitches, not being pull-happy. Pressure of postseason, stress and anxiety of not hitting, facing nothing but superior pitching, pressure he is putting on himself, others’ expectations—all are likely factors.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:55:21 am »
To me, the problem is impatience and chasing bad pitches,

This, and not swinging at nice middle in pitches.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:25:12 am »
He has always taken a big swing, whether he is going good or bad. To me, the problem is impatience and chasing bad pitches, not being pull-happy. Pressure of postseason, stress and anxiety of not hitting, facing nothing but superior pitching, pressure he is putting on himself, others’ expectations—all are likely factors.

Totally agree.  I wish there was something someone could tell him that he would hear.  I'm sure he's heard everything by now but until it clicks it could be a short series for him. 

''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:20 am »
He needs to try to draw bases on balls, he needs to try to hit pitches to RF. He needs to go back to having a leadoff hitter's mentality and distance himself from the Gomez mentality.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 10:26:49 am »
Big swings are one thing.   Big swings where you pull off and your shoulders are facing the 3rd base dugout are another.

His one homerun this postseason was to Right field. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 10:38:39 am »
He needs to try to draw bases on balls, he needs to try to hit pitches to RF. He needs to go back to having a leadoff hitter's mentality and distance himself from the Gomez mentality.

He has never had a leadoff hitter’s mentality. He is not going to be asked to become Brett Gardner. He is a slugger batting leadoff. He is chasing bad pitches and taking strikes. Classic slump.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 10:42:00 am »
Big swings are one thing.   Big swings where you pull off and your shoulders are facing the 3rd base dugout are another.

His one homerun this postseason was to Right field.

Opening up and pulling off the pitch are valid criticisms. Not having “a leadoff hitter’s mentality” is not. Swing only at strikes is easy to say but sometimes hard to do. If this were an easy game, we’d all be in the big leagues.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 10:47:19 am »
Opening up and pulling off the pitch are valid criticisms. Not having “a leadoff hitter’s mentality” is not. Swing only at strikes is easy to say but sometimes hard to do. If this were an easy game, we’d all be in the big leagues.

Also, knowing what was a strike last night was not easy.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 10:48:36 am »
4. He hasn't been the same player since coming back from the injury.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 10:51:37 am »
He has never had a leadoff hitter’s mentality. He is not going to be asked to become Brett Gardner. He is a slugger batting leadoff. He is chasing bad pitches and taking strikes. Classic slump.
He needs to try to get on base anyway he can.  I'm not saying be Brett Gardner. I'm saying get back to why AJ put him in the leadoff spot. To get on base, not to hit homeruns.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 10:53:14 am »
So the only one of these problems that we, the OWA community,  has any control over is the slump.

So I've gotta find a live chicken before 7:08.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 10:53:31 am »
If this were an easy game, we’d all be in the big leagues.
Damn brilliant analysis.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 10:58:27 am »
I'm saying get back to why AJ put him in the leadoff spot. To get on base, not to hit homeruns.

He hit 34 home runs from the leadoff spot. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 11:02:33 am »
4. He hasn't been the same player since coming back from the injury.
This is, of course, true - although he followed a horrendous August with a decent Septmeber - .250/.361/.440. The question is, why hasn't he been the same player? Is he still hurt? Doubtful, although any number of unknown nagging problems could be affecting his mechanics at the plate, of course. The DL stint was for his quad, and he seems to be running just fine. In any case, it's plain to see he's lost up there at the plate.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 11:05:54 am »
He hit 34 home runs from the leadoff spot.
That's not all he did. As great as hitting a home run is he needs to getting on base too.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 11:15:17 am »
That's not all he did. As great as hitting a home run is he needs to getting on base too.

Sluggers are allowed to hit doubles too.

After one of theALCS games the MLB crew turned to Frank Thomas.  He said he never tried to pull a fastball over 95 mph.  Thought it was crazy to do so.

Now,  4 games at MMPUS, 1 HR to the Crawford Boxes for both teams.  Gattis had his shot off the facade in the alley. 

Correa,  Altuve,  Yuli sent balls into right center pretty successfully.  I just hope if there's a FB on the outer half Springer knocks the snot out of it where it's pitched.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 11:25:18 am »

Right, but it's inaccurate to say that Hinch put Springer in the leadoff spot so he would not hit home runs.  He's a big swinger, always has been.  That's who he is.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 11:40:09 am »
The big thing for Springer to me has always been to watch his head. When he's going well, his head does not move very much at all. When he struggles his head bobbles and flies out with his shoulder. When your head is moving all over the place it makes it really difficult for your eyes to do their job. He's always had a big swing, yes, but it's the violent swings that get him into trouble.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 11:46:05 am »
Right, but it's inaccurate to say that Hinch put Springer in the leadoff spot so he would not hit home runs.  He's a big swinger, always has been.  That's who he is.
I didn't mean to imply that AJ did not want him to hit homers, or singles, doubles, or triples, however he gets on base or scores, it is good. Two through four you got Bregman, Altuve, and Correa. I'm fine with Springer hitting in front of those guys. He is in a slump. Trying to knock the shit out of everything he swings at seems like a counterintuitive way to work out of a slump, though that appears to be how he is attempting to work out of it.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 12:14:17 pm »
He needs to try to get on base anyway he can.  I'm not saying be Brett Gardner. I'm saying get back to why AJ put him in the leadoff spot. To get on base, not to hit homeruns.

If you think this, I give up.

ETA: Hinch wants everyone to get on base. He put Springer at leadoff to get extra base hosts to jumpstart the offense. Of course he want Springer to be selective and to take walks, but walks are not why he is leadoff.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:31:15 pm by JimR »

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 12:31:34 pm »
If you think this, I give up.
May 19 2015 Springer hitting a buck ninety with a .327 OBP was inserted into the lead off position. Why do you think that unconventional move was made? What do you think Hinch said at the time regarding why he moved him from third in the order to first?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 12:59:01 pm »
May 19 2015 Springer hitting a buck ninety with a .327 OBP was inserted into the lead off position. Why do you think that unconventional move was made? What do you think Hinch said at the time regarding why he moved him from third in the order to first?

I answered your question above. He wanted his power potential there and perhaps he wanted to remove the pressure of batting third and make him more selective. Hinch wants every hitter to get on base.

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 01:17:14 pm »
I like Springer batting leadoff when he's hitting...I know duh.

What about Yuli batting leadoff?  I like that he's selective and patient.  He'll  work a count for his pitch.  Would be nice having him on base for Bregman, Altuve, Correa.

With that I hope Springer get's a leadoff hit in his next at bat. Leadoff or wherever... That'll end this thread quick!

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 01:19:23 pm »
I think you guys are crazy wanting to change the lead off hitter in the middle of the world series.  Yeah, Springer is in a slump and I get wanting to do something to help him change his focus.  Moving him out of that spot just doesn't seem to be the right plan to me. 

Plus, he's not the only one not getting on base!  3 hits last night by the whole team.  3.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 01:27:07 pm »
Yeah,  to be clear,  GS is the leadoff man.  Anything else moves guys out of their spots etc etc.

I think most of us just want the slump to be busted.

Once that happens we can turn our attention to Marwin.

Then we can tackle famine,  disease,  human suffering.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:28:05 pm by Astros Fan in Big D »

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 02:14:56 pm »
I think you guys are crazy wanting to change the lead off hitter in the middle of the world series.  Yeah, Springer is in a slump and I get wanting to do something to help him change his focus.  Moving him out of that spot just doesn't seem to be the right plan to me. 

Plus, he's not the only one not getting on base!  3 hits last night by the whole team.  3.
I only saw one post by one person advocating changing the lead off hitter. He has been the leadoff hitter every game he’s played for over two years basically. It would be a panic move to change that now.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 02:46:50 pm »
I only saw one post by one person advocating changing the lead off hitter. He has been the leadoff hitter every game he’s played for over two years basically. It would be a panic move to change that now.

I heard Hinch say he writes in Springer in leadoff, Altuve and Correa in 3 and 4, then constructs the lineup from there.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 03:07:44 pm »
McCann isn't starting tonight is he?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 03:25:49 pm »
same line up.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 03:45:00 pm »
I think McCann behind the plate outweighs lefty/ lefty concerns.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 03:50:25 pm »

No need to be giving away runs in a likely tight, low scoring game.  How did dumping McCann for a better offensive but worse defensive catcher work out for them?  I seem to remember Sanchez looking horribly lost back there a few times, and he - of course - booted the tag on the game-winning run in Game #2.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 03:55:26 pm »
No need to be giving away runs in a likely tight, low scoring game.  How did dumping McCann for a better offensive but worse defensive catcher work out for them?  I seem to remember Sanchez looking horribly lost back there a few times, and he - of course - booted the tag on the game-winning run in Game #2.

I believe Sanchez was 0-for-3 in fielding throws to home in the ALCS.  Two of them were sure outs.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 03:58:17 pm »

Absolutely

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 04:25:48 pm »
Agreed on all. Gattis will be a nice option to have as a pinch-hitter.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 04:28:04 pm »
I don't even understand who the Astros would consider putting in the leadoff spot if not Springer.

Keep the goddamn lineup where it is.  The Astros are going to ride the horse that got them to the World Series and they are not going to panic after losing a game to arguably the best pitcher in baseball. 
Boom!

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »
I don't even understand who the Astros would consider putting in the leadoff spot if not Springer.

Keep the goddamn lineup where it is.  The Astros are going to ride the horse that got them to the World Series and they are not going to panic after losing a game to arguably the best pitcher in baseball.

Nice avatar

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
Springer's At-Bats
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 05:12:38 pm »
While I am not advocating a change, I would not freak out if Hinch flip-flopped Springer and Bregman in the order. Sometimes change is good, and it might make George sit back take a breath and relax a little bit. Again I'm fine with it like it is, but I wouldn't oppose a change either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:14:18 pm by TerryPuhl21 »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 05:16:35 pm »

Of course. The panic is crazy.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »
McCann isn't starting tonight is he?

McCann has to catch every game in the series.  Gattis is too much of a liability defensively to play in games against a team this good.  Gattis will DH in game 4 and 5.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2017, 12:12:28 am »
Well I think this thread has now served its purpose. I hope the admins lock it or whatever.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 03:42:00 am »
Well I think this thread has now served its purpose. I hope the admins lock it or whatever.
Yes, and never doubt George the Animal again.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2017, 09:05:09 am »
Glad Hinch did not bench him.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 09:38:17 am »
If you haven't already you should check the MLB guys (esp Hernandez/Thomas, Papi chimed in too) taking about Springer.

It's like they participated in this thread.  They brought up the importance of Maybin getting to second and Springer adjusting his approach.

Between Smoltz  in the booth and those guys (when they're not clowning) there is some good analysis to be had.  You just have to turn the crap filter up to 11.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:03 am »
If you haven't already you should check the MLB guys (esp Hernandez/Thomas, Papi chimed in too) taking about Springer.

It's like they participated in this thread.  They brought up the importance of Maybin getting to second and Springer adjusting his approach.

Between Smoltz  in the booth and those guys (when they're not clowning) there is some good analysis to be had.  You just have to turn the crap filter up to 11.

I've even found A-Rod to be tolerable on that panel. He seems to think very highly of Crane. Remember when Crane was portrayed as the Baseball Anti-Christ?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2017, 09:49:04 am »
I've even found A-Rod to be tolerable on that panel. He seems to think very highly of Crane. Remember when Crane was portrayed as the Baseball Anti-Christ?

With the Astros having ousted the Red Sox and Yankees, they have to give them credit so as not to make their alma maters look bad.

They did spend much of the first half hour after the game talking about Mariano Rivera, so there's that.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 10:15:22 am »

When they were interviewing Altuve after the game he made a very interesting comment.  He was asked what he changed in the batter's box to turn around his fortunes.  He said (and I'm paraphrasing) that he stopped going out and getting the pitches and instead let them come to him.  It's sounds simple but is remarkably profound.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 10:25:29 am »
When they were interviewing Altuve after the game he made a very interesting comment.  He was asked what he changed in the batter's box to turn around his fortunes.  He said (and I'm paraphrasing) that he stopped going out and getting the pitches and instead let them come to him.  It's sounds simple but is remarkably profound.

That's Kate Upton-level profundity.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 10:33:31 am »
You can have the post-game show. Hernandez and Thomas are tolerable.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 10:33:56 am »
I have pretty much detested ARod since around 2004.   But he is really good at TV, same with Pete Rose who I hated even more.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35:37 am »
I have pretty much detested ARod since around 2004.   But he is really good at TV, same with Pete Rose who I hated even more.

I could not disagree more about those two on TV.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 10:56:30 am »

ARoid is terrible on TV.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 11:00:41 am »
Maybe it is just a tallest midget thing, because Papi, Hernandez and Thomas are so horrible, it makes ARod sound smart.   But whatever,  whenever I I have listened ARod has actually added substance to the conversation.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 01:54:14 pm »
Maybe it is just a tallest midget thing, because Papi, Hernandez and Thomas are so horrible, it makes ARod sound smart.   But whatever,  whenever I I have listened ARod has actually added substance to the conversation.

ARod talks about himself.  I have no interest in him.  See also Papi, Big.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 02:31:05 pm »

It's like they participated in this thread.
Now that you mention it... has anyone ever actually seen Sphinx and Big Papi in the same room together at the same time?

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 03:00:55 pm »
This!
Up in the Air

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2017, 03:10:14 pm »

Ortiz is terrible on that panel. Seems more interested in trying to be funny like he is in a dugout somewhere. I have found Hernandez to be pretty decent. He at least seems to be trying to make some contributions.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 03:16:47 pm »
I like Hernandez. He is capable of  interesting commentary and analysis--diminished by the company he keeps. ARod is horrible, slick and fake. Ortiz, not much there but seems like a nice enough guy, fun at parties. Thomas...very good baseball player.
Like Smoltz too, which is really weird considering how much I hated that man in the 90's.

Where the fuck is Toro?