Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery (Spoilers)  (Read 1475 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (Spoilers)
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 02:16:34 pm »
I'm interested to see what they have in store for the next season.  The pre-Kirk canon for the USS Enterprise is still largely uncharted territory, but I just hope they stay in their lane and don't get too cute with Discovery's interactions with the Enterprise.  This well will eventually run dry, since at this point they are only about eight years away from Kirk taking command of the Enterprise.  If they drag the show out that long and do another TOS recasting then I'm out.

I have read that as (pre-Kirk) Enterprise and Discovery co-exist in this timeframe, it makes sense that Enterprise at least shows up.  They are claiming, though, that it’s only a secondary plot issue and Discovery remains the focus of the show.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:04 pm »
I was curious about mycelium spores and looked them up only to find out one of the leading mycologist in the world is a fellow by the name of Paul Stamets.
I saw two shooting stars last night, I wished on them but they were only satellites. It's wrong to wish on space hardware. I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 08:40:53 pm »
I have read that as (pre-Kirk) Enterprise and Discovery co-exist in this timeframe, it makes sense that Enterprise at least shows up.  They are claiming, though, that it’s only a secondary plot issue and Discovery remains the focus of the show.

I know that the Discovery and Enterprise coexist at this point in time, and I'm fine with them featuring it in the show since the ship will not yet have Kirk or his crew (except possibly Spock, who served under Pike).  My hope was that later on (i.e. in a few seasons, if the show is still going) they resist the temptation to dredge up Kirk and the TOS crew again.

I'm curious to see how they depict the Enterprise internals (e.g. the bridge), given that Discovery's tech is equal to or better than the TNG/DS9 era.  I doubt that they're going to make it look the way it looked in the 1960s, but even the show Enterprise, with better special effects available to them, still depicted relatively primitive technology on the Enterprise NX-01 (buttons to open doors, comm panels vs. comm badges, etc.).

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 09:28:32 am »
I know that the Discovery and Enterprise coexist at this point in time, and I'm fine with them featuring it in the show since the ship will not yet have Kirk or his crew (except possibly Spock, who served under Pike).  My hope was that later on (i.e. in a few seasons, if the show is still going) they resist the temptation to dredge up Kirk and the TOS crew again.

I'm curious to see how they depict the Enterprise internals (e.g. the bridge), given that Discovery's tech is equal to or better than the TNG/DS9 era.  I doubt that they're going to make it look the way it looked in the 1960s, but even the show Enterprise, with better special effects available to them, still depicted relatively primitive technology on the Enterprise NX-01 (buttons to open doors, comm panels vs. comm badges, etc.).

Speaking of Enterprise, the Stellaris mod Star Trek: New Horizons prompted me to go back and pick it up at the end of the second season (Xindi) and I’ve been stunned by how much the show improved in the third season. There were some genuinely excellent episodes! I’d read that Braga complained about the cancellation—given the improvement—but at the time I have to admit I’d dropped it before then. The first two were just so terrible.

Anyway, I agree that the conclusion of Discovery’s first season was way too pat, but also that it was a million times better than the first season of any other non-TOS show. They packed at least an old school season’s worth of content into two-thirds the air-time. I’m excited about the next season.

I wonder, do we assume that each season is going to be similarly oriented around a single narrative? I actually like the random ship-in-a-bottle episode, of which in this year there was maybe one.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2018, 01:02:04 pm »
Speaking of Enterprise, the Stellaris mod Star Trek: New Horizons prompted me to go back and pick it up at the end of the second season (Xindi) and I’ve been stunned by how much the show improved in the third season. There were some genuinely excellent episodes! I’d read that Braga complained about the cancellation—given the improvement—but at the time I have to admit I’d dropped it before then. The first two were just so terrible.

I'd given up on Enterprise before then too, and a fellow Trek nerd begged me to start watching it again halfway through the last season.  Problem is that the tail end of Enterprise ran concurrently with the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica.  Even after Enterprise improved, it was almost comical to compare the quality of the two shows side by side.  That may have colored my opinion of Enterprise even more.

A couple years ago I finally decided to go back and watch it from start to finish.  I thought the Xindi war was okay, but with lesser writing and (mostly) lesser actors it was always just an imitation Dominion war to me.  I did like a few episodes here and there, though.

Also, I hated - HATED - the series finale.

I wonder, do we assume that each season is going to be similarly oriented around a single narrative? I actually like the random ship-in-a-bottle episode, of which in this year there was maybe one.

I suspect that long story arcs are here to stay, but I think DS9 did a good job of mixing in offbeat episodes (like "Far Beyond the Stars"  "Take Me Out to the Holosuite").  However, DS9's seasons also had about 10 more episodes, so they could afford to do stuff like that more often.