Author Topic: ALCS Game 4: Astros @ Yankees, Oct 17, 2017  (Read 15595 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: ALCS Game 4: Astros @ Yankees, Oct 17, 2017
« Reply #540 on: October 18, 2017, 08:41:11 am »
It would be in their best interests and also my heart and mind's. But we're talking about the Astros who have not always acted in their best interests. Luckily there is a precedent. Three in fact where the home team won every game in a 2-3-2 format: 1987, 1991, and 2001. I think it may be that time again. That is why home field advantage is a home field advantage.

We took three - amazing - games at home in the middle of the 2004 NLCS.  Then we went to St Louis and shit the bed.

Not that I want to have to win a Game #7, but the Yankees won 51 of 82 (.622) at home this year, which means the won only 42 of 82 (.512) on the road.  We are dealing with a team that knows how to win in Yankee Stadium - built to do so, in fact - but such a skill set hasn't translated so well to other ballparks.  Of their 6 post-season wins, only 1 has come on the road.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 18, 2017, 09:56:15 am »
Yesterday was the 12th anniversary of the Pujols HR game.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:28 am »
After four ALCS games the Astros are hitting .153/.254/.220.  18 Hits in 4 games. Lucky to be tied at 2.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 18, 2017, 10:13:06 am »
After four ALCS games the Astros are hitting .153/.254/.220.  18 Hits in 4 games. Lucky to be tied at 2.

In the first two games, we erased a couple of important baserunners - including one at the plate.  In some ways, we're fortunate still to be playing,
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 18, 2017, 10:26:56 am »
In the first two games, we erased a couple of important baserunners - including one at the plate.  In some ways, we're fortunate still to be playing,

The botched rundown and a poorly located slider are the difference in being down in the 8th and going to the 9th with a 4-3 lead.
Goin' for a bus ride.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 18, 2017, 10:32:19 am »
The botched rundown and a poorly located slider are the difference in being down in the 8th and going to the 9th with a 4-3 lead.
Altuve not standing over the bag to catch the ball and apply the easy tag is one of the many small things that cost this game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 18, 2017, 10:34:29 am »
Altuve not standing over the bag to catch the ball and apply the easy tag is one of the many small things that cost this game.

Altuve, on his positioning:
He made a really good throw, but I'm 5'5" and Headley is like 6' something. He kind of blocked me, so I decided to take a step back to make sure I catch that ball, because if I don't do it I don't think I would have caught that ball.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 18, 2017, 10:40:41 am »
He made a really good throw, but I'm 5'5" and Headley is like 6' something. He kind of blocked me, so I decided to take a step back to make sure I catch that ball, because if I don't do it I don't think I would have caught that ball.
Fair enough. I turned off the tv after the game and didn't watch any interviews and haven't bothered to look any up this morning

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 18, 2017, 10:42:31 am »

So he's got an excuse for his bad fundamental play? Awesome.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 18, 2017, 11:06:51 am »

IMO, the problem started with Correa.  He should not have thrown the ball that quickly.  He didn't get Headley moving back to first before throwing.  If he runs at him for just a few steps he gets the ball to Yuli much closer to Headley and Headley much further from second.
Goin' for a bus ride.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
ALCS Game 4: Astros @ Yankees, Oct 17, 2017
« Reply #550 on: October 18, 2017, 11:27:40 am »
There are plenty of places where blame can be placed for last night, from lack of hitting, to fielding mistakes, to poor pitching to poor managing. It was a complete failure all around. My biggest issue however was with Hinch and the decisions around LMJ. Once we got up 4-0 that game became MUST WIN. I too feel he yanked LMJ too soon but my bigger issue was going to Devo. It may have been mentioned by someone in a prior post and I missed it, but was I the only Astros fan screaming at the tv for Peacock? We have already seen in the ALDS that the pen isn't reliable. Peacock has been shut down good all year for 2-3 innings. Why did we not bring him in to perhaps finish the whole game off??  I guess Hinch is saving him for game 7 if it is necessary?? It just didn't make sense to me to have one of the most consistent arms in the league all year sitting on a bench in a game that huge. I have a lot more faith in Peacock right now than perhaps anyone else in that pen. Devo looks completely lost and based on his control issues, the pressure seems to have gotten to him. Many mistakes last night but for me, this was the biggest. I would have let Peacock finish off that entire game once LMJ was pulled.

I will say this, if Keuchel departs with a lead today, regardless of what inning, sixth, seventh, eighth or ninth, Peacock should be the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:36:57 am by TerryPuhl21 »

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 18, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »
Because I can't get yesterday's game out of my mind I just went to BrooksBaseball and counted all the missed calls by the home plate umpire last night.

The Yankees were fortunate while batting and had a net of gain of 2 pitches called in their favor.  Guccione only missed 8 calls for New York.  5 pitches were called balls that should have been strikes and 3 pitches were strikes that should have been called balls.  Frazier turned out to be the biggest benefactor with 3 missed calls going in his favor.

He missed 11 calls while the Astros were batting.  He called 10 pitches strikes that were out of the zone and only called 1 pitch a ball that was in the zone.  Gurriel and McCann were the biggest victims of the night for Houston.

That is frustrating.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 18, 2017, 12:14:55 pm »
So he's got an excuse for his bad fundamental play? Awesome.

I guess taking a step *inside* the line would have been out of the question.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #553 on: October 18, 2017, 01:21:00 pm »
IMO, the problem started with Correa.  He should not have thrown the ball that quickly.  He didn't get Headley moving back to first before throwing.  If he runs at him for just a few steps he gets the ball to Yuli much closer to Headley and Headley much further from second.

Watch Altuve. He directed him to throw to first. Also, Correa was in the OF, and there was a runner at third.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 18, 2017, 01:24:08 pm »
There are plenty of places where blame can be placed for last night, from lack of hitting, to fielding mistakes, to poor pitching to poor managing. It was a complete failure all around. My biggest issue however was with Hinch and the decisions around LMJ. Once we got up 4-0 that game became MUST WIN. I too feel he yanked LMJ too soon but my bigger issue was going to Devo. It may have been mentioned by someone in a prior post and I missed it, but was I the only Astros fan screaming at the tv for Peacock? We have already seen in the ALDS that the pen isn't reliable. Peacock has been shut down good all year for 2-3 innings. Why did we not bring him in to perhaps finish the whole game off??  I guess Hinch is saving him for game 7 if it is necessary?? It just didn't make sense to me to have one of the most consistent arms in the league all year sitting on a bench in a game that huge. I have a lot more faith in Peacock right now than perhaps anyone else in that pen. Devo looks completely lost and based on his control issues, the pressure seems to have gotten to him. Many mistakes last night but for me, this was the biggest. I would have let Peacock finish off that entire game once LMJ was pulled.

I will say this, if Keuchel departs with a lead today, regardless of what inning, sixth, seventh, eighth or ninth, Peacock should be the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinch answered you because he was asked that direct question. He wanted the matchup of Devo v. their LH hitters.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: October 18, 2017, 01:25:51 pm »

I did wonder if his vision was blocked, and he definitely took a step back.