Author Topic: ALCS Game 3 -- Astros vs. Yankees  (Read 16273 times)

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: ALCS Game 3 -- Astros vs. Yankees
« Reply #560 on: October 17, 2017, 10:14:18 am »
In my opinion, which is based on the many interviews of him I have seen, confidence is his entire issue. He does not believe he is good, and he has the stuff to be great.

You and Strom have both said Morton doesn't realize how good of a pitcher he is.   

He's a guy who has played for ten years in the major leagues as a sinker ball pitcher who could not get lefties out and suddenly has complemented his repertoire with filthy stuff.  Plenty of people would just say fuck yeah and dial it to 11 but Charlie seems to be a very introspective guy who cannot get out of the mentality he created in order to have that major league career in the first place.  Unfortunately part of his introspective personality appears to include a fair amount of self-doubt, almost as if he thinks his new ability is going to suddenly go away as quickly as it appeared, which is not an unreasonable fear to have, especially given his injury history.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:17:14 am by Bench »
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 17, 2017, 10:32:17 am »
You and Strom have both said Morton doesn't realize how good of a pitcher he is.   

He's a guy who has played for ten years in the major leagues as a sinker ball pitcher who could not get lefties out and suddenly has complemented his repertoire with filthy stuff.  Plenty of people would just say fuck yeah and dial it to 11 but Charlie seems to be a very introspective guy who cannot get out of the mentality he created in order to have that major league career in the first place.  Unfortunately part of his introspective personality appears to include a fair amount of self-doubt, almost as if he thinks his new ability is going to suddenly go away as quickly as it appeared, which is not an unreasonable fear to have, especially given his injury history.   

Morton gave an interview before the game yesterday that wasn't exactly overflowing with confidence.  The interviewer asked him if the short porch in RF in Yankee Stadium affected the way he approached hitters.  I expected him to something along the lines of "as a pitcher, I can't worry about that, I have to go out and attack hitters and make my pitches".  Instead he sort of stumbled and said something like "yeah, I worry about that...I used to throw a lot of ground balls, but my sinker isn't what it used to be, so now I get more fly balls and it definitely affects your mindset out there".  I let out a long sigh.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Andyzipp

« Reply #562 on: October 17, 2017, 10:37:08 am »
It was always easier for me to get over being blown out than losing a close game, so hopefully the Astros feel the same.  There's no time for a hangover today.

But Springer, Marwin, Reddick and a few others need to take full advantage of their familiarity with Sonny Grey this afternoon, and do it early.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #563 on: October 17, 2017, 10:38:13 am »
He does not even believe in his new ability. In his interview with Sparks at Fenway, Sparks tried to get him to admit he has elite stuff. Morton’s response was “I throw the ball well, but i lack the pitching part.” Paraphrased because I do not remember the exact words.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 17, 2017, 10:39:55 am »
It was always easier for me to get over being blown out than losing a close game, so hopefully the Astros feel the same.  There's no time for a hangover today.

But Springer, Marwin, Reddick and a few others need to take full advantage of their familiarity with Sonny Grey this afternoon, and do it early.

I kind of agree. By the 8th last night, the stadium was almost empty.  It was just another game.  The boys in the Fox studio acted like it was Christmas morning, but no one was watching. 

As a wise old man once said...it's the postseason, you're not going to win them all.  Go out and get a win today.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 17, 2017, 11:32:05 am »

I totally agree. I would much rather lose 8-1 than 2-1.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 17, 2017, 12:03:50 pm »
I totally agree. I would much rather lose 8-1 than 2-1.

Certainly *something* needs to change offensively; hopefully getting curb stomped hit the reset button and NY can see some vaunting from the God Guys.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 17, 2017, 01:27:50 pm »
Certainly *something* needs to change offensively; hopefully getting curb stomped hit the reset button and NY can see some vaunting from the God Guys.

Uh, the God Guys are the ones wearing pinstripes.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 17, 2017, 01:41:39 pm »
Uh, the God Guys are the ones wearing pinstripes.

Oops. Another funny autocorrect.

I use android with Swype.   Now when I swype "you" 9 times out of 10 it comes out "yuli".

I'm ok with it.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 18, 2017, 02:48:08 am »
Man, I really hate losing 6-4 after leading 4-0 in the seventh.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: October 18, 2017, 09:42:39 am »
Man, I really hate losing 6-4 after leading 4-0 in the seventh.

Really?