Author Topic: ALCS Series Previews - Astros/Yankees  (Read 5224 times)

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:41:59 am by Waldo »

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Re: ALCS Series Previews - Astros/Yankees
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:41:27 am »
Series and Game 1 Preview

I could watch that Marisnick clip all day long.  I sure miss him in our outfield. 

Thanks for crafting the preview.  Excellent as usual.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:42:55 am »
I could watch that Marisnick clip all day long.

I watched it several times myself.  The view from the left field camera was stunning.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:01:47 am »
Thanks Waldo.  I did not realize the Yankees starting pitchers performed so well over the course of the season. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:37:12 pm »

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 11:53:07 pm »

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 11:04:26 am »
Game 3 preview is up.

Thanks Waldo.

2004 Game 5 was my previous favorite game as well, but it's second place now. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:17:57 am »
2004 Game 5 was my previous favorite game as well, but it's second place now.

I know it's a bit like comparing a tit-wank from Kate Upton and (a "Career Opportunities"era) Jennifer Connolly, but...

I think the 2004 game juuuuuust edges it.  The nit I'm picking here is that if Sanchez pays attention at home plate then he hangs on to the ball and Altuve is out.  The Astros may still have won - with the potential winning run standing on 2nd - but it took an active boot by the Yankees to make that moment.  2004 was Kent bashing in the collective brains of Isringhausen and La Russa.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 11:42:22 am »
I know it's a bit like comparing a tit-wank from Kate Upton and (a "Career Opportunities"era) Jennifer Connolly, but...

I think the 2004 game juuuuuust edges it.  The nit I'm picking here is that if Sanchez pays attention at home plate then he hangs on to the ball and Altuve is out.  The Astros may still have won - with the potential winning run standing on 2nd - but it took an active boot by the Yankees to make that moment.  2004 was Kent bashing in the collective brains of Isringhausen and La Russa.

To me Altuve's Mad Dash was more exciting because (1) the hits came off one of the best closers in the game who was throwing 100 mph (2) you had 10 second of the play developing to build excitement to (3) realizing that Altuve wasn't slowing down at third and (4) the throw was going to beat him but (4) HOLY SHIT WE WON THE GAME!

Kent's home run was awesome but as soon as he swung it was over.  That ten seconds of excitement and drama as Altuve wheeled around the bases was simply unbelievable. 

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 12:36:43 pm »
To me Altuve's Mad Dash was more exciting because (1) the hits came off one of the best closers in the game who was throwing 100 mph (2) you had 10 second of the play developing to build excitement to (3) realizing that Altuve wasn't slowing down at third and (4) the throw was going to beat him but (4) HOLY SHIT WE WON THE GAME!

Kent's home run was awesome but as soon as he swung it was over.  That ten seconds of excitement and drama as Altuve wheeled around the bases was simply unbelievable.
Thank you Waldo!

I am with Bench on this. Altuve's insane elven fucking magic run where he kept getting faster while the catcher bobbles the throw for the only second that Altuve needs to fly the rest of the way home  was far more memorable in my book. Altuve flying past third was as miraculous as Dunkirk but lasted three seconds instead of three days.  And then there is Verlander. So no, not even close by the way I score it.

But this also reminds me a little of Richard Pryor. According to Mr. Pryor, the best piece of pussy he ever had was always the last pussy he had. ANd I don't even like Jeff Kent now...so yeah the Correa/Pettis/Altuve RBI  is my favorite postseason winning play...EVER.
Where the fuck is Toro?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 01:41:50 pm »
The two teams are very even. Will be tough.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 01:42:51 pm »
Each game is going to get tougher.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »

Yep. Glad we have a two game head start.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 02:09:03 pm »

It's tough to imagine two closer games than that. 

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 02:37:41 pm »
Each game is going to get tougher.
You and JimR are absolutely right. This NY team is talented and is very close in ability to the Astros. Yankees could easily have been up 2-0. Potential MVP Aaron Judge and the cast of all-star young talent and established veterans around him  have already won a bunch of elimination games against an impressive Cleveland team. The Yankees have already overcome an 0-2 deficit to defeat an arguably better than the Astros Cleveland Team.  And its only going to get harder for these Astros who really don't deserve to be here. Honestly, they were so bad they got kicked out of their old league. Really, they're just some southern refugee of a team that should get to play against a real franchise. There should be a wall.
Albeit, reasonable people may say and think these things..but this ain't the mutherfuckinyankee's  time. This ain't their beach. Yankee don't surf on Altuve's beach. Yankee don't surf at all!!!!! New york's all right if you want to freeze to death. New York's all right if you like Saxaphones! Yankees got to win four games against this team before the Astros can win two....hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha. Sleep easy yankee fan....here the Astros come all despacito and shit but you will hear those bats and then the soft foot falls of Astros feet making the rounds in a quiet quiet city. Just can't feel anything but joy that the Astros are playing this well against a great team. Don't care if the Astros win in 4,5,6, or seven games.
The Astros will see these fuckers a few more times in the postseasons to come...which reminds me of one of the reasons I hate being in the the AL less...getting to spoil the Yankees postseason plans is one of the best things ever about being in this stupid fucking league. Beating the Bronx Bombers in NY  behind Keuchel was AMAZING. Still didn't bring me around, but it gave me a lot of fucking glee to see the Astros play more baseball than NYY in 2015. I'm thinking that after all the hurt Keuchel puts them through in the postseason they make him uber rich after 2018 just to make sure they can't loose to him in October anymore. But there's a lot of post season innings left before now and then Yankee fan. You've got your opponent just where you want them, up 2-0 and all over-confident and shit. Who wants it more? I see the Astros coming. They are coming to take it.   

Where the fuck is Toro?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 02:40:59 pm »
It's tough to imagine two closer games than that.

I suspect that the scoring will be different in NY.  Not just because we're getting past the top starters for each team, but because we're moving to a park with actual short porches.  Yankee Stadium is 314 feet to both corners, without any significant wall to raise the yellow line,

FTR, MMP has finished below Yankee Stadium in "park factors" every year except one - 2014 - since the new stadium opened in NY for the 2009 season.  I realise that the home offense or pitching can skew such n umber s a little, but that's pretty consistent.  Still, MMP was lowest in "park factors" in all of baseball for the last two years; Yankee Stadium was in the top half both years.  Shhh...no one tell the mooseknuckles on Fox.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 02:46:10 pm »
You and JimR are absolutely right. This NY team is talented and is very close in ability to the Astros. Yankees could easily have been up 2-0. Potential MVP Aaron Judge and the cast of all-star young talent and established veterans around him  have already won a bunch of elimination games against an impressive Cleveland team. The Yankees have already overcome an 0-2 deficit to defeat an arguably better than the Astros Cleveland Team.  And its only going to get harder for these Astros who really don't deserve to be here. Honestly, they were so bad they got kicked out of their old league. Really, they're just some southern refugee of a team that should get to play against a real franchise. There should be a wall.
Albeit, reasonable people may say and think these things..but this ain't the mutherfuckinyankee's  time. This ain't their beach. Yankee don't surf on Altuve's beach. Yankee don't surf at all!!!!! New york's all right if you want to freeze to death. New York's all right if you like Saxaphones! Yankees got to win four games against this team before the Astros can win two....hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha. Sleep easy yankee fan....here the Astros come all despacito and shit but you will hear those bats and then the soft foot falls of Astros feet making the rounds in a quiet quiet city. Just can't feel anything but joy that the Astros are playing this well against a great team. Don't care if the Astros win in 4,5,6, or seven games.
The Astros will see these fuckers a few more times in the postseasons to come...which reminds me of one of the reasons I hate being in the the AL less...getting to spoil the Yankees postseason plans is one of the best things ever about being in this stupid fucking league. Beating the Bronx Bombers in NY  behind Keuchel was AMAZING. Still didn't bring me around, but it gave me a lot of fucking glee to see the Astros play more baseball than NYY in 2015. I'm thinking that after all the hurt Keuchel puts them through in the postseason they make him uber rich after 2018 just to make sure they can't loose to him in October anymore. But there's a lot of post season innings left before now and then Yankee fan. You've got your opponent just where you want them, up 2-0 and all over-confident and shit. Who wants it more? I see the Astros coming. They are coming to take it.   

You are wrong.  I stopped reading the rest of your post.  They deserve to be here because they have won their games!
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »
You are wrong.  I stopped reading the rest of your post.  They deserve to be here because they have won their games!

I think he switched to being ironic at that point, although there really wasn't anything to signal the change.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 03:18:54 pm »
BG you don't need to tell me I'm wrong. You are right. I am wrong. We can assume that from now on but remind me as much as you feel I need it. See, I was married once. I know how this works.
The Astros deserve everything baby. And So do you. I was a bad, bad man to say those bad, wrong things and I am sorry.

Where the fuck is Toro?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 03:34:56 pm »
I think he switched to being ironic at that point, although there really wasn't anything to signal the change.

I think he's pretty clearly switched to being obnoxious now.

The fine line between exuberant and insufferable.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 04:41:39 pm »
I think he's pretty clearly switched to being obnoxious now.

The fine line between exuberant and insufferable.
+1
Where the fuck is Toro?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 06:02:02 pm »
BG you don't need to tell me I'm wrong. You are right. I am wrong. We can assume that from now on but remind me as much as you feel I need it. See, I was married once. I know how this works.
The Astros deserve everything baby. And So do you. I was a bad, bad man to say those bad, wrong things and I am sorry.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 06:19:31 pm »
Game 3 starting lineup.

One of the amazing things this series is that the bullpen has pitched only two innings total, so everybody is available (save Dallas and JV).  Not that the Yankees have been burned up, but they've pitched more and Chapman might be carrying some scars.  If nothing else, he knows he can't sneak any cheese past the meat of the order (aaaaaaand now I'm hungry).

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 06:42:06 pm »
Game 3 starting lineup.

One of the amazing things this series is that the bullpen has pitched only two innings total, so everybody is available (save Dallas and JV).  Not that the Yankees have been burned up, but they've pitched more and Chapman might be carrying some scars.  If nothing else, he knows he can't sneak any cheese past the meat of the order (aaaaaaand now I'm hungry).

Chapman isn't carrying any scars. Just as soon not see him tonight.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 06:51:05 pm »
What the fuck is wrong with you?
I don't have a beer and I am not in front of a t.v. set covering a sporting event in N.Y.--but I can fix this. Other than that I feel great, but thanks for asking.
Where the fuck is Toro?

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 06:53:31 pm »
I don't have a beer and I am not in front of a t.v. set covering a sporting event in N.Y.--but I can fix this. Other than that I feel great, but thanks for asking.

You are tryharding so hard it's making Colt 45 blush.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 11:42:50 am »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 11:51:10 am »
My recollection of Gray is pitching pretty well against Houston, but your preview makes me think he was no better than ok. McCullers pitched three shutout innings against the RS, then allowed the first two to reach in his fourth inning, and they scored. This is a real gamble by Hinch which shows great faith in McCullers. I hope he steps up.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 12:30:08 pm »
My recollection of Gray is pitching pretty well against Houston, but your preview makes me think he was no better than ok. McCullers pitched three shutout innings against the RS, then allowed the first two to reach in his fourth inning, and they scored. This is a real gamble by Hinch which shows great faith in McCullers. I hope he steps up.

I had forgotten that McCullers' runs were driven in against a different pitcher.

I know it was mop-up duty, but McHugh's work last night as well as in August/September makes me hopeful that he'll get a start sometime this postseason.  He'd be on normal rest for a potential ALCS Game 7.  I'd take McHugh and Good Lance over Morton and Peacock.

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 01:13:16 pm »

I remember he threw a ton of pitches.   I think 100 threw 6 or something like that.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 09:24:30 pm »

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 09:31:04 pm »
Sigh... here's the game 5 preview.

Thanks Waldo.  I still think we're in better shape now than the Yankees were after game 2.  There's a reason this postseason effort is built around two aces. 

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2017, 01:48:32 pm »
Wish you had been a bit more concise.

The anti-Noe of previews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2017, 02:48:11 pm »
Game 6 preview is up if you're into sniffing glue.
After a childhood of huffing paint and glue I wanted to try something a little darker and became an Astros fan. It's easier on the remaining brain cells, but its harder on the heart.

Thanks again Waldo. I think you covered everything thoroughly.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 11:11:11 am »
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 09:50:00 am »

I agree. As much as I enjoyed Kent's dinger, it was over when he hit the ball. The range of emotions on Altuve's dash ranged from the "are you fucking crazy" that I exclaimed when I saw him rounding 3B without even looking to "o my fucking God Astros win!!!" A good friend of mine and very knowledgable fan (and former college baseball coach) told me yesterday that, pound for pound, Jose Altuve is the greatest player he's ever seen.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2017, 09:59:49 am »
I agree. As much as I enjoyed Kent's dinger, it was over when he hit the ball. The range of emotions on Altuve's dash ranged from the "are you fucking crazy" that I exclaimed when I saw him rounding 3B without even looking to "o my fucking God Astros win!!!" A good friend of mine and very knowledgable fan (and former college baseball coach) told me yesterday that, pound for pound, Jose Altuve is the greatest player he's ever seen.

I think I'd leave out the pound for pound part.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 10:14:10 am »
I think I'd leave out the pound for pound part.

It sneaks up on you,  but Altuve is of the 3 best position players the Astros have ever had.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 10:19:05 am »
It sneaks up on you,  but Altuve is of the 3 best position players the Astros have ever had.

In  terms of all-around player, how is Altuve not the best Astro ever?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2017, 10:20:56 am »
It's just longevity at this point (and whether Correa surpasses him)
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2017, 10:21:12 am »

I think that's exactly what he'll end up being,  if he's not already there.   He. Is Great.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2017, 10:24:23 am »
It's just longevity at this point (and whether Correa surpasses him)

Correa is a fine player, as is Springer.  Bregman turning out as strong as Correa and Springer.  Altuve is playing an entirely different game.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:11 am »
Correa is a fine player, as is Springer.  Bregman turning out as strong as Correa and Springer.  Altuve is playing an entirely different game.

Altuve keeps working on improving his game. If they all took that approach to their skills, holy smokes they could be almost unbearltable.  Altuve is special and I'm glad we are recognizing it as it happens.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2017, 11:07:58 am »
Correa was having as good a season as Altuve until he got hurt. Still underrated.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2017, 12:16:32 pm »
If Altuve takes his postseason approach into the regular season, I stand by my comment: he will hit .500.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2017, 01:11:13 pm »

Let’s not forget that Bagwell won 1 MVP and deserved 2 others.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2017, 01:15:37 pm »
Let’s not forget that Bagwell won 1 MVP and deserved 2 others.

I think we all realize we're entering the Astros Holy of Holies.

The anointing oil has not been taken out yet.   Just appreciating what we're seeing.