Author Topic: Astros @ Red Sox - September 30, 2017  (Read 6657 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: Astros @ Red Sox - September 30, 2017
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2017, 03:24:58 pm »
T9:

Gurriel strikes out swinging
McCann homers around the Pesky Pole
Maybin doubles off the Monster
Kemp strikes out swinging
Springer strikes out swinging

Astros go down 6-3
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2017, 03:26:01 pm »
I think the announcers just reached orgasm. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2017, 03:26:54 pm »
Damn.  Needed today to get Sale only once.

Nate in IA

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2017, 03:34:51 pm »
I think the announcers just reached orgasm.

The homerism was very obvious the whole game...

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2017, 04:00:06 pm »
Damn.  Needed today to get Sale only once.

Lots of things needed to line up for best outcomes this weekend.  The yankmees cooperated,  we screwed the pooch today but whatever.  It is what it is.  Second best record in club history, and didn't back into anything.  Damn fine regular season.

But if the Indians lose tonight I'm gonna break something.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2017, 09:52:02 pm »
Lots of things needed to line up for best outcomes this weekend.  The yankmees cooperated,  we screwed the pooch today but whatever.  It is what it is.  Second best record in club history, and didn't back into anything.  Damn fine regular season.

But if the Indians lose tonight I'm gonna break something.

White Sox hang on for a 2-1 win over Indians.  Could have forced them to burn Sale, but we started McCullers and the offense took the night off instead. Grrr!

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2017, 05:21:56 am »
What took you down there?

Was down in Ushuaia, felt like a boatride.

I can say that I've set foot on every continent, so there's that checked off the list.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:25:32 am by Lefty »
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2017, 07:26:22 am »
White Sox hang on for a 2-1 win over Indians.  Could have forced them to burn Sale, but we started McCullers and the offense took the night off instead. Grrr!

Lots of games to look back on this season and say "if we don't step on our dicks there...". All games count. Can't waste any of them.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2017, 08:48:43 am »
It's stunning how fast this offense can flip the switch from godlike to pathetic and back.
Hopefully the four day break (five counting the likely spring training B game tomorrow) before the playoffs will let them reset.

What HH said. Post season pitching will be tough to hit.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2017, 08:53:59 am »
I wonder why Hinch chose Saturday and not Sunday to experiment with McCullers.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2017, 09:41:06 am »
I wonder why Hinch chose Saturday and not Sunday to experiment with McCullers.

Maybe he wanted to see how he responded with that little extra bit of pressure in a game that "counts", at least as much as any regular-season games count for the Astros right now. Whoever pitches today knows that the goal (forcing Boston to use Sale) has either been accomplished or not, whereas whoever pitched yesterday knew that they had to win in order to keep the goal within reach. That's all I've got.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2017, 10:23:46 am »
Maybe he wanted to see how he responded with that little extra bit of pressure in a game that "counts", at least as much as any regular-season games count for the Astros right now. Whoever pitches today knows that the goal (forcing Boston to use Sale) has either been accomplished or not, whereas whoever pitched yesterday knew that they had to win in order to keep the goal within reach. That's all I've got.

Dunno. Yesterday was a very important game for us for sure, and I was surprised he did not go with McHugh, Had we won, McCullers would have matched up with Sale. Nothing bigger than that. Hinch said consistently his goal was to win every game, but some of his personnel decisions had me scratching my head.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2017, 10:28:36 am »
Lots of games to look back on this season and say "if we don't step on our dicks there...". All games count. Can't waste any of them.

The two I think of are games against KC and Oakland with identical 7-3 leads in the late innings, but our JV relievers could not hold the fort, and Giles ultimately was the loser both times.

Every team can say this too, though, in a 162 game season, and the Astros won their share of improbable comebacks. Probably not useful to "What If" each lost game.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2017, 10:49:24 am »
That recent lost weekend in Oakland.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2017, 11:00:36 am »
The two I think of are games against KC and Oakland with identical 7-3 leads in the late innings, but our JV relievers could not hold the fort, and Giles ultimately was the loser both times.

Every team can say this too, though, in a 162 game season, and the Astros won their share of improbable comebacks. Probably not useful to "What If" each lost game.

True, not unique to the Astros. Just the ones that got away tend to stick out in your memory.

Andyzipp

« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2017, 02:07:42 pm »
I think the saying is something like you’re going to win 50 and you’re going to lose 50 no matter what, it’s what you do with the other 62 that makes your season.  So the Astros are 50-11 right now.  Tip of the cap for Cleveland for their season.

Everyone is 0-0 starting Thursday.