Author Topic: McCullers  (Read 21392 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
McCullers
« on: September 30, 2017, 06:43:18 am »
I do not trust him next week, and I do not trust him today. I hope I am wrong. We need to win this game today to keep the pressure on the Red Sox. Do you suppose the Yanks’ opponent will play their minor leaguers and roll over like the Twins did?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: McCullers
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 08:50:47 am »
I do not trust him next week, and I do not trust him today. I hope I am wrong. We need to win this game today to keep the pressure on the Red Sox. Do you suppose the Yanks’ opponent will play their minor leaguers and roll over like the Twins did?

So what does AJ do if LMJ goes out today pitches 5 innings and gives up 1 or 2 runs.    That is not enough for me, to put him on the playoff roster.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 08:53:24 am »
So what does AJ do if LMJ goes out today pitches 5 innings and gives up 1 or 2 runs.    That is not enough for me, to put him on the playoff roster.

I agree. As I said, I do not trust him or his lack of toughness.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 09:07:35 am »
I wish they would've tried him out of the pen the last 2 weeks to see if he was an option there.   I'm with you 100%, I don't trust him at all to start, which means at this point he shouldn't be on the post season roster.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:50:31 am »
I wish they would've tried him out of the pen the last 2 weeks to see if he was an option there.   I'm with you 100%, I don't trust him at all to start, which means at this point he shouldn't be on the post season roster.

Agreed re roster.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 11:13:01 am »
this whole thing is making me nervous
forever is composed entirely of nows

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 11:47:10 am »
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 11:59:46 am »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Andyzipp

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 04:21:28 pm »
The way he pouted after giving up his first walk was all I need to know about LMJ this year.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 04:44:34 pm »
The way he pouted after giving up his first walk was all I need to know about LMJ this year.

The way he reacted to the ball getting under Altuve's glove was all I needed to see.

I see no reason to put him ahead of Morton, Peacock, or McHugh when it comes to post-season plans.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 05:43:22 pm »
I see no reason to put him ahead of Morton, Peacock, or McHugh when it comes to post-season plans.

He's #6 on the depth chart. At best. And I *definitely* don't want some guy with control issues (pitch *or* mental) coming out of the pen.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the club package him and Paulino in a trade for a significant piece this winter.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 05:57:51 pm »
So one thing I heard.  His last "injury" was the yips.

I don't trust him at all. Let him rest up for next year

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 06:07:34 pm »
So we pretty much have a consensus around here. There are 5 better options for a starter and he isn't suited to work out of the pen. We will see what AJ does but I don't think McCullers should be taking up a spot on the post saeson roster. It's his own doing, he simply hasn't made the grade.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 06:54:45 pm »
So we pretty much have a consensus around here. There are 5 better options for a starter and he isn't suited to work out of the pen. We will see what AJ does but I don't think McCullers should be taking up a spot on the post saeson roster. It's his own doing, he simply hasn't made the grade.
My best guess for the rotation is
Verlander
Keuchel
Peacock
Morton

if they carry just 11 pitchers, that's still 7 RPs. I think the "locks" are
Giles
Devo
Harris
Musgrove
Liriano

To me, McHugh deserves to make it. He'd be a good safety net/long man. That means the final spot is down basically to McCullers or Gregerson. I know it's en vogue to shit on Lance's immaturity, unreliability, whatever at the moment, but that's your choice right there: a veteran, mature guy who's only been "reliable" in that he usually gives up a home run, or the immature kid who still has great stuff and did manage to shut the Red Sox down for 3 innings today.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 07:32:02 pm »
I'm not sure they won't put Feliz in there.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 07:57:54 pm »

Agreed

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 08:03:05 pm »
So one thing I heard.  His last "injury" was the yips.

I don't trust him at all. Let him rest up for next year

Pardon my ignorance...yips?

And i really hope Hinch leaves him off the postseason roster or any Astros roster ever. Trade him, please.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 08:12:21 pm »

A mental problem – choking.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 08:30:42 pm »
Agreed

So the motion to leave LMJ off the playoff roster passes?

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »

The motion was moved by one and seconded by another, upon being put it was carried with acclamation.

I've been reading a lot of historical union documents lately.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 09:19:21 pm »

The ayes have it.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 09:43:15 pm »
A mental problem – choking.

Yes.  Although choking isn't the right word. Mental is.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 11:20:17 pm »
I'm not sure they won't put Feliz in there.
Based on what? Feliz has been even worse than Hoyt this year.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 12:50:27 am »
The number of people on Twitter clamoring for him to be in the pen baffles me. Why would you want a guy in the pen that constantly takes batters to 3-2 and then misses on a breaking ball? I get that people love LMJ but surely we can all agree that poor command is what we DON'T want in a postseason series? SMH.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 06:24:46 am »
The number of people on Twitter clamoring for him to be in the pen baffles me. Why would you want a guy in the pen that constantly takes batters to 3-2 and then misses on a breaking ball? I get that people love LMJ but surely we can all agree that poor command is what we DON'T want in a postseason series? SMH.
Because who else are you going to take instead? It's not like they're overflowing with quality options. Also, he walked 3.0 batters per 9 this year. Same as Gregerson, in fact.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 07:06:04 am »
LMJ doesn’t deserve to be on a playoff roster. However, if we leave him off, we have to recognize that will piss off him and his dad, so we better trade him in the off-season.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 07:51:48 am »
LMJ doesn’t deserve to be on a playoff roster. However, if we leave him off, we have to recognize that will piss off him and his dad, so we better trade him in the off-season.

I said trade him 2-3 weeks ago. Fuck them.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 08:00:33 am »
My best guess for the rotation is
Verlander
Keuchel
Peacock
Morton

if they carry just 11 pitchers, that's still 7 RPs. I think the "locks" are
Giles
Devo
Harris
Musgrove
Liriano

To me, McHugh deserves to make it. He'd be a good safety net/long man. That means the final spot is down basically to McCullers or Gregerson. I know it's en vogue to shit on Lance's immaturity, unreliability, whatever at the moment, but that's your choice right there: a veteran, mature guy who's only been "reliable" in that he usually gives up a home run, or the immature kid who still has great stuff and did manage to shut the Red Sox down for 3 innings today.

Gregerson all day long. McCullers does not deserve a spot, and I am sick of hearing about his great stuff. Gregerson will not quit on the team.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 10:57:00 am »

And i really hope Hinch leaves him off the postseason roster or any Astros roster ever. Trade him, please.

this

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 11:53:37 am »
This has gotten ridiculous (almost as bad as HH's distaste for Correa)
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 12:59:10 pm »

I do not think it is ridiculous at all.

Andyzipp

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 01:04:56 pm »
Gregerson all day long. McCullers does not deserve a spot, and I am sick of hearing about his great stuff. Gregerson will not quit on the team.

Gregerson is the only pitcher on the roster with a postseason save.  That’s worth something.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 01:30:54 pm »

If you think I have a distaste for Correa, then you're even dumber than your posts.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2017, 05:22:28 pm »
They should leave him off the roster for the first series and work him in simulated games to prepare for pitching in relief. If the Astros advance they might be able to use him. with the longer series and possible injuries.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 06:19:39 pm »

Yep, I'll say it again. Fucking piranhas.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2017, 06:29:47 pm »
Yep, I'll say it again. Fucking piranhas.

So you think McCullers should start Game 3?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 07:02:41 pm »
So you think McCullers should start Game 3?
I don't know, I can't watch the games but from the box scores it looks like he's lights out for about 3-4 innings before falling apart and that has value.

My point isn't whether or not he should even be on the post-season roster but rather that the vitriol coming from 90% of the regular posters is shameful.
When he actually says something that means he "doesn't want the ball", please let me know.

For the record, Robert Ford says he's the 3rd best starter they have and I'm pretty sure he's seen him more than any of you here.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2017, 07:36:21 pm »
I don't know, I can't watch the games but from the box scores it looks like he's lights out for about 3-4 innings before falling apart and that has value.

What value is that?  What have you seen in him over the last two months that makes you think he should pitch in the postseason. Please be specific.

My point isn't whether or not he should even be on the post-season roster but rather that the vitriol coming from 90% of the regular posters is shameful.
When he actually says something that means he "doesn't want the ball", please let me know.

He has. It's been discussed at length.  Further, it's not vitriol. This discussion is specifically about whether or not he should be on the post season roster.

For the record, Robert Ford says he's the 3rd best starter they have and I'm pretty sur he's seen him more than any of you here.

I wouldn't bet the farm on your assumption.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2017, 07:43:29 pm »
I wonder if McCullers is still hurt. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
McCullers
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2017, 07:50:38 pm »
What value is that?  What have you seen in him over the last two months that makes you think he should pitch in the postseason. Please be specific.

He has. It's been discussed at length.  Further, it's not vitriol. This discussion is specifically about whether or not he should be on the post season roster.

I wouldn't bet the farm on your assumption.
He's only pitched in 3 (major league) games over the past two months. In the first three innings of each of those games he has 11 strikeouts while allowing 3 hits, 1 walk and 1 run. Again, I'm not saying he needs to be on the roster, only that those are dominant numbers.

Nothing has been discussed at length except for one quote which set Jim off and hysteria ensued.

I would.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:54:03 pm by mrpink »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2017, 08:26:07 pm »
He's only pitched in 3 (major league) games over the past two months. In the first three innings of each of those games he has 11 strikeouts while allowing 3 hits, 1 walk and 1 run. Again, I'm not saying he needs to be on the roster, only that those are dominant numbers.

So how would you use him in the postseason?  Start himand throw him three innings?  Out of the pen?  Why do you think he can translate those three innings to the pen?

Nothing has been discussed at length except for one quote which set Jim off and hysteria ensued.

1.  No hysteria has ensued.
2.  Sorry you missed it.

I would.

Then don't complain when you're homeless.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2017, 10:15:23 pm »

For the record, Robert Ford says he's the 3rd best starter they have and I'm pretty sure he's seen him more than any of you here.

If you do not watch the games, then STFU.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2017, 10:17:58 pm »
I wonder if McCullers is still hurt.

Navin answered your question.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2017, 10:21:46 pm »
If you do not watch the games, then STFU.

You did not draw your conclusion about McCullers from watching the games.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 10:39:15 pm »
So how would you use him in the postseason?  Start himand throw him three innings?  Out of the pen?  Why do you think he can translate those three innings to the pen?
Why do you think a SS can play 3B, even if he hasn't done it before? Not all starters do as good or better out of the pen, but most do. Some need a lot of time to figure out the transition (a la Liriano). Some don't (Price, Musgrove).

McCullers has pitched in relief, in the minors. I don't know if McHugh ever has but I know I'd sure rather see him pitch in the ALDS over Gregerson.

In any case, I think Hinch, Luhnow, and Strom are intelligent enough and plugged-in enough to the makeup of the team and the capabilities and condition of its players that they will probably make the right choices for the roster.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2017, 12:29:47 am »

This is utter bullshit. Anyone that has watched him pitch in the second half can see his shitty body language, his sulky demeanor, and his pouty behavior.

Any time something shitty happens behind him, he falls apart. Glass psyches have no place in the playoffs.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 02:31:07 am »
This is utter bullshit. Anyone that has watched him pitch in the second half can see his shitty body language, his sulky demeanor, and his pouty behavior.

Any time something shitty happens behind him, he falls apart. Glass psyches have no place in the playoffs.

This. Give me a less talented bulldog who wants the ball and who is a helluva competitor.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2017, 07:01:59 am »
Why do you think a SS can play 3B, even if he hasn't done it before? Not all starters do as good or better out of the pen, but most do. Some need a lot of time to figure out the transition (a la Liriano). Some don't (Price, Musgrove).

McCullers has pitched in relief, in the minors. I don't know if McHugh ever has but I know I'd sure rather see him pitch in the ALDS over Gregerson.

In any case, I think Hinch, Luhnow, and Strom are intelligent enough and plugged-in enough to the makeup of the team and the capabilities and condition of its players that they will probably make the right choices for the roster.

Having the raw skill to do something and being ready to do so are not necessarily the same thing.  Yes, guys who have the range, glove, arm, quickness, footwork etc to play SS can learn to translate that to playing 3B.  That doesn't mean I'd throw a guy who'd never taken a fungo at 3B over there in the postseason.  And don't get me started on the difference between playing 3B and pitching...

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2017, 01:58:19 pm »

Oh, yes I did. What Mark said.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:59:55 pm by JimR »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2017, 03:27:21 pm »

Fuck off, you troll. What is it with your penchant for accusing people who you know damn well are watching the games of not watching? I don't get it.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 04:20:11 pm »
Fuck off, you troll. What is it with your penchant for accusing people who you know damn well are watching the games of not watching? I don't get it.
I commend your restraint.
Up in the Air

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »

He did not accuse Jim of not watching the games.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2017, 05:17:11 pm »
He did not accuse Jim of not watching the games.

Yes, he did. See earlier in the thread. Jim told him that he was wrong.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2017, 05:43:03 pm »
Yes, he did. See earlier in the thread. Jim told him that he was wrong.

Subtlety is not your thing, I get it.
Y todo lo que sube baja

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2017, 06:10:49 pm »
How subtle is this?
Up in the Air

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2017, 06:15:53 pm »
The subtlety is that he accused Jim of forming an opinion on McCullers outside of watching the games.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2017, 07:05:03 pm »
Chuck is trolling me. It has gone on for some time. I watched around 90% of the games and posted often about McCullers demeanor on the mound.

Chuck, for whatever reason, wants this team to lose. I want it to win.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2017, 07:14:47 pm »

Being an asshole here is your thing. I get it.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2017, 08:18:59 pm »
Being an asshole here is your thing. I get it.
That must be it. Because obviously anyone who has a different or not-as-extreme opinion on something than you or HH must be an asshole, or a troll, or crazy, or a fucking idiot.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2017, 08:30:28 pm »
That must be it. Because obviously anyone who has a different or not-as-extreme opinion on something than you or HH must be an asshole, or a troll, or crazy, or a fucking idiot.

I get to be a troll, which were you?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2017, 08:35:16 pm »
Navin answered your question.

Jim, "I heard his last injury was the yips" hasn't got much certainty about it.  May be enough for you though.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:40:21 pm by NeilT »

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2017, 08:58:22 pm »
I'm not trolling anyone. I'm certainly not trolling Jim. I wasn't even talking to Jim, difficult though that may be for Jim to believe.

If you read and then re-read what Homer wrote and still can't see that Homer is not saying that Jim didn't watch the games, well, there's not a lot I can do. I personally don't care one way or another about this argument, but if you're going to argue, at least agree on what you're arguing over.
Y todo lo que sube baja

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2017, 09:04:08 pm »

Hey wait a minute...I'm all of those things as well.  Don't lump me in with the illuminati. 

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2017, 09:16:56 pm »
I believe that a strict reading of Homer’s comment shows that he did not directly say that Jim does not watch the games, but I will also say that only upon further review did I catch that; an initial reading certainly makes it sound like that’s what he said.

However, that’s all irrelevant because I am most certainly crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2017, 10:02:27 pm »
Brian McTaggart @brianmctaggart
McCullers wants to start but "If I have to come out of the 'pen, if I can be like a (David) Price-type role, let's do it."

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2017, 10:20:54 pm »
Crazy. I get to be crazy.The way I like it.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2017, 12:05:16 am »
Crazy. I get to be crazy.The way I like it.

I call Fucking Idiot.
Can we save the name calling for the fucking Red Sox please?
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2017, 12:54:00 am »
You guys crack me up, we win over 100 games, best season for a long time (maybe ever) and we still find ways to get all pissed off.  Y'all remind me of tomcats, snarling when your getting it and snarling when your not!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2017, 12:54:15 am »
I believe that a strict reading of Homer’s comment shows that he did not directly say that Jim does not watch the games, but I will also say that only upon further review did I catch that; an initial reading certainly makes it sound like that’s what he said.

However, that’s all irrelevant because I am most certainly crazy.

And in context of the "discussion" that is clearly what he was implying.
Up in the Air

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2017, 02:48:20 am »

Yeah, except that he didn't imply that, at all. You - incorrectly - inferred it.

RCIF,N
Y todo lo que sube baja

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2017, 06:38:29 am »
I thought he was implying that it wasn't all about watching games but that the discussion included hearsay as well as amateur social and psychological evaluations based upon a his particular upbringing.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2017, 07:04:53 am »
I thought he was implying that it wasn't all about watching games but that the discussion included hearsay as well as amateur social and psychological evaluations based upon a his particular upbringing.

It was immediately clear to me that he wasn't even implying Coach wasn't watching the games, which is something no one who frequents this board even part-time would ever be stupid enough to  imply.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2017, 07:59:41 am »
It was immediately clear to me that he wasn't even implying Coach wasn't watching the games, which is something no one who frequents this board even part-time would ever be stupid enough to  imply.
+1

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2017, 08:24:22 am »
LaLoosh wants to start but "If I have to come out of the 'pen, if I can be like a (David) Price-type role, let's do it."

Andyzipp

« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2017, 08:25:37 am »
McCullers thinks he's David Price?  I guess he's not lacking in confidence.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2017, 08:26:00 am »

It would be good to post this in both McCullers' threads so everyone can see it.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2017, 09:51:58 am »

Cringe-worthy for sure. Someone needs to take him out behind the practice fields and have a stern talk with him about baseball platitudes.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2017, 09:59:04 am »

Hell, he accused me of not watching the games, and while I always will take a back seat to Coach, I've been here and watching carefully for many years. I think that I deserved better than that. Hell, if there's anything I am interested in, it's pitching.  Homer has never liked me; I get that. The feeling is mutual.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2017, 10:28:13 am »
McCullers wants to start but "If I have to come out of the 'pen, if I can be like a (David) Price-type role, let's do it."

That's pretty much what we're all afraid of:  If they use McCullers in the playoffs, we'll see Price-like playoff performance.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2017, 11:56:50 am »

You do not get to be; you choose to be. I do not understand it.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2017, 12:08:07 pm »
I am bowing out of this pissing match. As I said to both of my protagonists, I do not understand it. If McCullers starts, I hope he pitches a no hitter. I also hope he gets traded in the off season for a significant player.

Go Astros.

PS fuck off, Ruben. You have no idea of all that has gone on for over half a season.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2017, 03:35:37 pm »
With you and Chuck? I dunno about that; I read a lot of what gets posted here and in the GZ. Do I have 100% of the story? Probably not, but I do know that, in between a lot of great, insightful stuff that you post here, there's a lot of condescending, mostly unnecessary chaff too, with Chuck and others. Maybe a lot of people come here especially for that, but I don't.

It's funny about the thing with McCullers. I think it's absolutely possible that you're right, that he's a selfish brat who cares way more about himself than the team. But, no one here actually has anything close to proof of that. He might, as someone suggested, just be trying to be honest with the team and not hide an injury before it gets worse, a la Keuchel last year.

McCullers is an Astro. I prefer to assume the best about an Astro until proven otherwise. Now if you want to jump to all kinds of conclusions about what kind of pedophile, racist sexist sadist scumbag Rougned Odor is? Be my guest. I hate that Ranger fuck.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2017, 03:40:59 pm »
McCullers thinks he's David Price?  I guess he's not lacking in confidence.
No.  His similarities are different.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2017, 03:42:26 pm »

PS fuck off, Ruben. You have no idea of all that has gone on for over half a season.
+1
Up in the Air

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2017, 03:26:40 pm »
So, he'll be in the ALCS.

But if Hinch has a role in mind for McCullers in the ALCS, he's not yet saying.

"We'll see," the manager said coyly on Wednesday at Minute Maid before the Astros' first post-ALDS workout. "Either a starter or a reliever. But he'll be on the roster."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Putting-Lance-McCullers-back-in-rotation-might-be-12271454.php&cmpid=twitter-premium

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2017, 04:05:39 pm »
So, he'll be in the ALCS.

But if Hinch has a role in mind for McCullers in the ALCS, he's not yet saying.

"We'll see," the manager said coyly on Wednesday at Minute Maid before the Astros' first post-ALDS workout. "Either a starter or a reliever. But he'll be on the roster."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Putting-Lance-McCullers-back-in-rotation-might-be-12271454.php&cmpid=twitter-premium

No surprise there. He pitched pretty well for three innings in Game 3.

Andyzipp

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2017, 05:04:28 pm »
No surprise there. He pitched pretty well for three innings in Game 3.

My concern is that he has hit a wall starting that 4th inning since he came back off the DL.  I don't think he can go more than 3 innings at a time, which means...middle relief.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2017, 05:12:12 pm »
My concern is that he has hit a wall starting that 4th inning since he came back off the DL.  I don't think he can go more than 3 innings at a time, which means...middle relief.

I wonder what that "wall" is? Physical or mental? He just can't get through a lineup the second time lately. There is no way Hinch trusts him with a start now.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2017, 05:27:52 pm »
I wonder what that "wall" is? Physical or mental? He just can't get through a lineup the second time lately. There is no way Hinch trusts him with a start now.

If he gets a start, the leash better be very short, and it should not be before Game 4. This will be a very tough series.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2017, 09:38:42 am »
If he gets a start, the leash better be very short, and it should not be before Game 4. This will be a very tough series.

I don't know why the starters would not be Keuchel, Verlander, Morton and McHugh with Peacock and McCullers in middle relief.  The only question mark for me there would be who goes as #3 to separate the high heat of Verlander and Morton a bit.

Andyzipp

« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2017, 09:41:01 am »
I don't know why the starters would not be Keuchel, Verlander, Morton and McHugh with Peacock and McCullers in middle relief.  The only question mark for me there would be who goes as #3 to separate the high heat of Verlander and Morton a bit.

Keuchel
Verlander
McHugh
Morton

is how I would sequence it.  And agreed with Peacock/McCullers for middle relief.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2017, 10:31:34 am »
Keuchel
Verlander
McHugh
Morton

is how I would sequence it.  And agreed with Peacock/McCullers for middle relief.

I would have Morton for game 3.  I think McCullers and Peacock should play the "David Price role" and be available to get 6 to 9 crucial outs in the middle of a game.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2017, 10:54:19 am »
I would have Morton for game 3.  I think McCullers and Peacock should play the "David Price role" and be available to get 6 to 9 crucial outs in the middle of a game.

I agree.  McCullers did better than I anticipated and I like McHugh starting.  I think he'll be tough.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2017, 11:59:50 am »

Agree with you on Game 3.

Andyzipp

« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2017, 12:11:37 pm »

I like breaking ball pitcher/fastball pitcher/breaking ball pitcher/fastball pitcher, but I also overthink things a lot.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2017, 12:20:47 pm »
So we are basically doing the tandem thing, in the post season.   Morton/Peacock and McHugh/McCullers or whichever way you want to pair them.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2017, 12:50:59 pm »
So we are basically doing the tandem thing, in the post season.   Morton/Peacock and McHugh/McCullers or whichever way you want to pair them.

I think it's more likely they settle on the two starters, put the other two in the bullpen, and Hinch lets the situation(s) dictate reliever selection.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2017, 01:12:19 pm »
I like breaking ball pitcher/fastball pitcher/breaking ball pitcher/fastball pitcher, but I also overthink things a lot.

Me too.  Like JR and Niekro.

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2017, 10:33:52 pm »
I wonder if McCullers could close tomorrow...?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:38 pm »
I wonder if McCullers could close tomorrow...?

Depends. How big is the lead?

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2017, 11:03:08 pm »
Depends. How big is the lead?
Damn straight, probably more than ever the moves will be influenced by the game situation.  How much of a lead do you want if you thinking of sending Gregerson in to close one out?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2017, 12:05:45 am »
Damn straight, probably more than ever the moves will be influenced by the game situation.  How much of a lead do you want if you thinking of sending Gregerson in to close one out?

I would trust Gregerson with a save opp over McCullers because he has done it before. Many times.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2017, 12:28:42 am »
I would trust Gregerson with a save opp over McCullers because he has done it before. Many times.

McCullers is going to get 6 key outs at some point this series.  I just hope they are a very beneficial 6 outs to the Astros.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2017, 08:59:02 am »

And because composure and mental toughness don't seem to be strengths of his at this point in his career.

Andyzipp

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2017, 09:22:28 am »

Gregerson does have 3 post season saves...

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2017, 12:52:17 pm »
McTag tweet says game 4 starter is either Peacock or McCullers.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2017, 01:17:59 pm »
Tandem

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2017, 01:41:46 pm »
McTag tweet says game 4 starter is either Peacock or McCullers.

I’d prefer to see McHugh. That said, if it is McCullers or Peacock, I’d prefer to see McCullers get the start with Peacock coming in on the short leash. McCullers certainly has the ace stuff, especially thru the first time thru the order so that plays well in this environment. Imagine how frustrated the hitters would be with his hard curve and FB for the first two times thru the order followed by Peacocks wicked slider for the third time through.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2017, 02:06:12 pm »
I’d prefer to see McHugh. That said, if it is McCullers or Peacock, I’d prefer to see McCullers get the start with Peacock coming in on the short leash. McCullers certainly has the ace stuff, especially thru the first time thru the order so that plays well in this environment. Imagine how frustrated the hitters would be with his hard curve and FB for the first two times thru the order followed by Peacocks wicked slider for the third time through.

Lately McCullers can't get through a lineup twice.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2017, 09:51:42 pm »

I think McCullers has a seize the moment ability for three outs in that situation. 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2017, 09:52:53 pm »
Listening to McCann post game, I think Lance is gonna get a start.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2017, 10:33:57 am »

What did he say?
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2017, 11:43:13 am »

I also read somewhere that Peacock is slated to be the long man if needed tonight. 

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2017, 12:57:34 pm »
Now confirmed.
Now is the time for McCullers to remember how good he is and really shine.
He breezed him, one more time!

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2017, 12:59:07 pm »
I have total confidence in McCullers tonight. 
Boom!

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2017, 01:49:55 pm »
I am behind him one thousand percent.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Andyzipp

« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2017, 01:52:08 pm »
I have total confidence in McCullers tonight. 

I admire the pluck, but I have to ask...what exactly are you confident he's going to do?  He hasn't:

1. Pitched past the 6th inning since June 8
2. Pitched more than 5.1 innings since September 6
3. Pitched more than 3 "good" innings in the same game since September 6.

Beyond the perceived attitude and toughness issues, stamina is my concern today. I'm not seeing hope for anything beyond a tandem start with McCullers going 3, Peacock going 3, and needing to get 3 more out of the bullpen.

On the other hand, "Prove me wrong kids.  Prove me wrong."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2017, 01:52:40 pm »
I am behind him one thousand percent.

I am too, but my confidence does not match my support.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2017, 01:58:25 pm »
I admire the pluck, but I have to ask...what exactly are you confident he's going to do?  He hasn't:

1. Pitched past the 6th inning since June 8
2. Pitched more than 5.1 innings since September 6
3. Pitched more than 3 "good" innings in the same game since September 6.

Beyond the perceived attitude and toughness issues, stamina is my concern today. I'm not seeing hope for anything beyond a tandem start with McCullers going 3, Peacock going 3, and needing to get 3 more out of the bullpen.

On the other hand, "Prove me wrong kids.  Prove me wrong."

Is it better to say the Astros are fucked? 

I think Jim pegged it right, "my confidence does not match my support."
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2017, 01:59:28 pm »
McCullers 3, Peacock 4, Devo/Giles 2?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2017, 02:01:11 pm »

Where has Musgrove gone?

Andyzipp

« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2017, 02:02:08 pm »
Is it better to say the Astros are fucked? 

I think Jim pegged it right, "my confidence does not match my support."

Nothing I said was close to the "Astros are fucked."  I'm sharing my opinion, just like everyone else.

Obviously, you have a problem with that.  One of the many reasons I stay away from this place for long periods of time.

My bad.  Won't happen again.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2017, 02:05:18 pm »
Nothing I said was close to the "Astros are fucked."  I'm sharing my opinion, just like everyone else.

Obviously, you have a problem with that.  One of the many reasons I stay away from this place for long periods of time.

Whatever Andy.  Hell, I try and live in a state of optimistic hope when it comes to this team and that isn't easy on this board.

Andyzipp

« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2017, 02:08:03 pm »
Whatever Andy.  Hell, I try and live in a state of optimistic hope when it comes to this team and that isn't easy on this board.

Exactly. Challenge anything (literally anything) you say, even in jest, and you pull the "woe is me" bullshit and get all dismissive and hurt.

I'll do you a favor and take all my horrible negativity elsewhere.   Enjoy your board.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2017, 02:09:58 pm »
Where has Musgrove gone?
Oh yeah! I forgot about Musgrove. He gave up that Pesky Pole HR in Boston, but otherwise has been more reliable than Devo the last month or two.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2017, 02:10:06 pm »
Exactly. Challenge anything (literally anything) you say, even in jest, and you pull the "woe is me" bullshit and get all dismissive and hurt.

I'll do you a favor and take all my horrible negativity elsewhere.   Enjoy your board.

I'm the woe is me??  Really? 

No one wants you to go.  Most everyone is cautious about McCullers.   

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2017, 02:13:06 pm »

McCullers 3, Peacock 3, Devo 1, Musgrove 1, Giles 1. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2017, 03:17:04 pm »

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2017, 03:19:47 pm »
McCullers 3, Peacock 3, Devo 1, Musgrove 1, Giles 1.

My biggest fear with Lance is he will be overamped. Alot of talk today about how "he is built for these moments" , "big game pitcher."  I don't see the evidence in that but I will embrace it.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2017, 03:35:51 pm »

I doubt anyone has a problem with you, sometimes people just reach for the Drax the Destroyer manual of semantic interpretation when another might be more useful.

Personally, I hope McCullers throws a no hitter, which  I wish for everyone in an Astros Uniform while pitching in NY. Did not think McCullers would get a postseason start.  It would also be nice if people not named Correa and Altuve hit the ball now and then. That would be cool too.

Where the fuck is Toro?

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2017, 03:36:02 pm »
My biggest fear with Lance is he will be overamped. Alot of talk today about how "he is built for these moments" , "big game pitcher."  I don't see the evidence in that but I will embrace it.

Not for nothing, he pitched that way against the Royals in 2015.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2017, 03:38:23 pm »

2015 ALDS 6.1 innings, 2 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts. 

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2017, 03:40:17 pm »
I think people point to game 4 vs kc where he did pitch really well.

Everything we've seen the last few months says, great for 3 innings and then falls apart. So I have no idea what to expect. He may throw 7 shutout innings with 10 k's and he might give up 4 runs in the 4th.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:44 pm »
Lance was outstanding.  If only his manager could have trusted him a little more after the first sign of adversity.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2017, 09:08:54 pm »
Lance was outstanding.  If only his manager could have trusted him a little more after the first sign of adversity.

He was cycling through the meat of the lineup.  I doubt many managers would have stuck with him much longer.  And trust is earned by skins on the wall.

(and no,  I didn't feel good about the bullpen keeping then scoreless over 3 innings.  But nursing a 3 run lead home is not too tall a task)

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2017, 09:48:11 pm »
He was cycling through the meat of the lineup.  I doubt many managers would have stuck with him much longer.  And trust is earned by skins on the wall.

(and no,  I didn't feel good about the bullpen keeping then scoreless over 3 innings.  But nursing a 3 run lead home is not too tall a task)

Most of us wouldn't have started McCullers, and then we'd have pulled him out after 3.  he's been too flaky for Hinch to trust his eyes, even if in that game he'd earned that trust.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2017, 10:18:12 pm »

McCullers might have forced Hinch's hand later in the 7th, but Judge's homer was the Yankees second hit all game, and he only had thrown 81 pitches.  At least give him Gregorius to see if they've really solved him.  Especially with how erratic the Astros bullpen has been. 

I'm sure the Astros had a plan for how long Lance could reasonably go, but when a pitcher us dealing like he was, you adjust your initial plan accordingly.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2017, 06:02:04 am »
Most of us wouldn't have started McCullers, and then we'd have pulled him out after 3.  he's been too flaky for Hinch to trust his eyes, even if in that game he'd earned that trust.

Why would you have pulled him after three innings?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2017, 06:58:21 am »
Why would you have pulled him after three innings?

No, he is talking about the supposed plan to pitch McCullers and Peacock in tandem.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2017, 07:31:44 am »
No, he is talking about the supposed plan to pitch McCullers and Peacock in tandem.

Right, and I'm asking why he would have done that.  Perhaps that was Hinch's plan, but I would not have considered it that way.  I would have let McCullers go as long as he could, depending on how he was pitching.  I would not have pulled him in the 7th after the Judge home run, but that would have been a situational call.  Perhaps McCullers was done, and that was what Hinch was basing it on, but I didn't see it, and it looked like Hinch had pre-determined that he would pull him once he gave up a run.  I wasn't in the dugout though. 

believin

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2017, 08:26:14 am »
I heard Hinch say in an interview (I think it was aired pre-game in the Game 3 broadcast) that his plan for the rest of the series was to let the pitcher pitch as long as he was pitching well, and that was his plan for all the pitchers. It didn't seem like that was what happened with McCullers, but I wasn't there to witness first hand either. (In fact, I was only able to listen to the broadcast, so didn't even see it on TV.)

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2017, 08:48:33 am »
McCullers might have forced Hinch's hand later in the 7th, but Judge's homer was the Yankees second hit all game, and he only had thrown 81 pitches.  At least give him Gregorius to see if they've really solved him.  Especially with how erratic the Astros bullpen has been. 

All of this!

LMJ made a mistake to Judge and he murdered it.  So what?!  It's not like anyone else was zeroing in; if anything, I thought Lance was in their heads and had them overthinking (something of which  Judge does not look capable).  He still had a three-run lead and empty bases.  Let Lance play!  Let Lance play!  Let Lance play!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:14 am »
I heard Hinch say in an interview (I think it was aired pre-game in the Game 3 broadcast) that his plan for the rest of the series was to let the pitcher pitch as long as he was pitching well, and that was his plan for all the pitchers. It didn't seem like that was what happened with McCullers, but I wasn't there to witness first hand either. (In fact, I was only able to listen to the broadcast, so didn't even see it on TV.)

Pulling McCullers (NTTAWWT) seemed premature at the time, and turned out to be premature in hindsight.  Hinch flinched after Judge's homer - which was mammoth - but still just one hit and one run.  I expect Keuchel will have more rope today.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2017, 09:18:00 am »
Right, and I'm asking why he would have done that.  Perhaps that was Hinch's plan, but I would not have considered it that way.  I would have let McCullers go as long as he could, depending on how he was pitching.  I would not have pulled him in the 7th after the Judge home run, but that would have been a situational call.  Perhaps McCullers was done, and that was what Hinch was basing it on, but I didn't see it, and it looked like Hinch had pre-determined that he would pull him once he gave up a run.  I wasn't in the dugout though.

Right, none of us knows what was said between innings or what the plan was, but it appeared to be “go as hard as you can for as long as you can.”  We don’t know the “as you can” part, but I’ll say from personal experience, McCullers would have had an understandably difficult time being honest and objective about coming out after the home run. I still cannot believe Judge hit that pitch. It was a get ahead curve, but still. He has beenhelpless on. breaking pitches.

Today I wish Hinch had given him another hitter, but I think that is nothing but hindsight after the implosion. At the time, I had confidence Devo-Musgrove-Giles would close it out. I read the GZ this morning, and there was not a single objection to the decision at the time. I am not going to second guess him today or blame him for the loss. Our front line pitchers did not do their jobs. The one I am baffled by is Musgrove. I thought he would blow them away in the 8th.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:20:24 am by JimR »

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2017, 09:25:46 am »
Right, none of us knows what was said between innings or what the plan was, but it appeared to be “go as hard as you can for as long as you can.”  We don’t know the “as you can” part, but I’ll say from personal experience, McCullers would have had an understandably difficult time being honest and objective about coming out after the home run. I still cannot believe Judge hit that pitch. It was a get ahead curve, but still. He has beenhelpless on. breaking pitches.

Today I wish Hinch had given him another hitter, but I think that is nothing but hindsight after the implosion. At the time, I had confidence Devo-Musgrove-Giles would close it out. I read the GZ this morning, and there was not a single objection to the decision at the time. I am not going to second guess him today or blame him for the loss. Our front line pitchers did not do their jobs. The one I am baffled by is Musgrove. I thought he would blow them away in the 8th.

I just watched the condensed game.  McCullers hung the slider to Judge which is the only reason he hit it.  Devo, Musgrove, and Giles just left too many pitches either up or over the middle of the plate.  It just wasn't their day.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2017, 09:30:43 am »
I just watched the condensed game.  McCullers hung the slider to Judge which is the only reason he hit it.  Devo, Musgrove, and Giles just left too many pitches either up or over the middle of the plate.  It just wasn't their day.

My thought at the time it was a get ahead pitch assuming Judge would be taking a strike. The homer seemed harmless at the time but wasn’t.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2017, 09:49:26 am »

I was delighted LMJ pitched so well for so many innings. McCullers has not been "healthy" since I've started following the team again and nowI understand why he is so frustrating. Disappointed by the bullpen but so glad to see the offense start to come back to life. On a happy note, two neighbors walking by asked me if I happened to know the score to the ballgame. I told them and they hurried back to their house to watch it (it was just after Yuli's bit hit). Nice to see so much interest in the Astros.
Where the fuck is Toro?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2017, 09:51:35 am »

Musgrove:I felt fine, I felt calm. I didn't feel overwhelmed. I just didn't really execute pitches that well. Looking back, I threw too many cutters to Headley. I felt like we had the outer half there, but I let it leak too much over the middle, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:09:00 am by juliogotay »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2017, 10:11:09 am »
Musgrove:I felt fine, I felt calm. I didn't feel overwhelmed. I just didn't really execute pitches that well. Looking back, I threw too many cutters to Headley. I felt like we had the outer half there, but I let it leak too much over the middle, I guess.

Headley hadn't hit shit all post-season.  We had the soft-underbelly of their offense and couldn't get them out.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2017, 10:11:12 am »
McCullers on McCullers: It's the best I've felt in many many months. I've been trying to tell anyone with ears that, but it seemed like it was not being heard all the time. I'm glad I got an opportunity to show the team that I feel good and I'm ready to go moving forward.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2017, 10:14:04 am »
McCullers on McCullers: It's the best I've felt in many many months. I've been trying to tell anyone with ears that, but it seemed like it was not being heard all the time. I'm glad I got an opportunity to show the team that I feel good and I'm ready to go moving forward.

I hope he gets to pitch again soon.  Like, next week.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2017, 10:17:56 am »

The only people with ears he should be thinking about are his teammates, coaches, and front office.  What we think should be fuck-all to him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2017, 10:24:25 am »
I hope he gets to pitch again soon.  Like, next week.
And I hope he gets an at bat...
Where the fuck is Toro?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2017, 11:05:51 am »

Lance, please. This is not the time to say “I told you so.” Team.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2017, 11:09:41 am »

I was just synopsizing the pre-game discussion, that it may have been Hinch's original plan to give McCullers innings and then run in Peacock.  The way McCullers pitched, I don't think anyone would have pulled him after three.  I don't know why Hinch pulled him in the 7th, except that it was his first real trouble.  Maybe Hinch saw something others didn't, maybe it was just McCullers' recent history.  I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if it was pre-determined by recent history.  So I guess we're agreeing, I'm just being more round-about.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2017, 11:51:14 am »
Headley hadn't hit shit all post-season.  We had the soft-underbelly of their offense and couldn't get them out.

And when Headley was flat on his underbelly in between first and second, some poor decision making and communication from Correa and Altuve allowed him to get to second safely.

The relievers failed to execute their pitches, of course, but having the tying run at home with 1 out as opposed to the tying run at second with no outs would have made a big difference. 

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:17 am »

This.  Many a Game Zone participant after the game blasted the decision to remove McCullers, but not a single one of them expressed surprise or displeasure when the move was made.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:27 am »

Thought I wouldn't have pulled McCullers, I had confidence as well.  I too was especially surprised and disappointed in Musgrove.  I really felt good once he got in there and thought, "Ok, that's it, Joe will shut them down". 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2017, 12:00:45 pm »
This.  Many a Game Zone participant after the game blasted the decision to remove McCullers, but not a single one of them expressed surprise or displeasure when the move was made.

Like Jim says, I honestly had confidence in the pen.  I was certain Musgrove would mow down the bottom of their order in the 8th and then Giles to start the 9th. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2017, 02:45:50 pm »
And when Headley was flat on his underbelly in between first and second, some poor decision making and communication from Correa and Altuve allowed him to get to second safely.

The relievers failed to execute their pitches, of course, but having the tying run at home with 1 out as opposed to the tying run at second with no outs would have made a big difference.

Altuve directed Correa to throw behind the runner, which is a no-no. A quick throw to Altuve would have had him hung up.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »
Altuve directed Correa to throw behind the runner, which is a no-no. A quick throw to Altuve would have had him hung up.

Yep.  And even if the runner on third scored during the run down the situation would still be 1 out, tying run at the plate which could have changed things dramatically. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2017, 02:58:14 pm »
Yep.  And even if the runner on third scored during the run down the situation would still be 1 out, tying run at the plate which could have changed things dramatically.

I believe that's the first occasion this post-season that the Yankees have scored runs before 2 outs were recorded.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2017, 03:21:03 pm »
I believe that's the first occasion this post-season that the Yankees have scored runs before 2 outs were recorded.

It certainly was the first time this series. 

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2017, 03:41:26 pm »

Judge's bomb was the first pitch of an inning.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »
Judge's bomb was the first pitch of an inning.

Then that was it.  I remember Buck droning on about all the prior runs being scored with 2 outs.  As if that was special, and not just a small sample quirk.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2017, 10:32:13 pm »
Yeah, what a pussy.

JJxvi

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2017, 10:32:25 pm »
can Lance do that type of work for multiple games in a series?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2017, 10:32:58 pm »
Yeah, what a pussy.

The fuck have you been?
Y todo lo que sube baja

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2017, 10:34:27 pm »
Lance deserves to start in the World Series.  He is quickly developing a rep as a big game pitcher.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2017, 10:35:25 pm »
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2017, 12:12:26 am »
 Never doubted this hoss for a minute (I swear)

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2017, 12:28:58 am »
Fucking piranhas.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2017, 07:15:31 am »
Fucking piranhas.

Not the time for this. Fuck off.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2017, 09:33:19 am »
It might just be me, but I saw clear signs of maturation by LMJ during his Boston appearance. Last night, he was lights out. He's dripping wet with talent, and I think that he's starting to catch up on his makeup. I'm glad that he's an Astro for now, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if we traded him for a stellar LF in the offseason.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2017, 09:38:57 am »
"After we lost in game 4, I said, "I don't care what it is, I want the f....I want the ball in game 7." - Lance McCullers, Jr.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2017, 09:41:00 am »
It might just be me, but I saw clear signs of maturation by LMJ during his Boston appearance. Last night, he was lights out. He's dripping wet with talent, and I think that he's starting to catch up on his makeup. I'm glad that he's an Astro for now, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if we traded him for a stellar LF in the offseason.

He lost it to start the 8th.  Smoltz was all over it with analysis.  4 pitch walk then a ball to the next batter, constantly looking in the dugout.  Then McCann goes out says something.  It was the LMJ train after that.  I would love to know what McCann said to settle him down.
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2017, 09:46:38 am »
He lost it to start the 8th.  Smoltz was all over it with analysis.  4 pitch walk then a ball to the next batter, constantly looking in the dugout.  Then McCann goes out says something.  It was the LMJ train after that.  I would love to know what McCann said to settle him down.

"There were these two bulls standing on a hill, looking down at a herd of cows.  One bull says 'why don't we run down this hill and fuck one of those cows?'  The other bull says 'Nah...let's *walk* down this hill and fuck 'em all.'"

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2017, 10:09:56 am »
"There were these two bulls standing on a hill, looking down at a herd of cows.  One bull says 'why don't we run down this hill and fuck one of those cows?'  The other bull says 'Nah...let's *walk* down this hill and fuck 'em all.'"
I really hope this is what he said

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2017, 11:17:33 am »
Not the time for this. Fuck off.
Fair enough.  I do want you to know I appreciated your mea culpas (if that's what they were) in the game 7 thread regarding McCullers.

To be honest, it wasn't even you that I wrote that for originally as much as it was the other posters that felt the need to pile on and criticize his fortitude and determination after your original comment because your opinion is well respected here.

I'm just elated we won.  That McCullers got the save is just gravy because it shows we have another weapon to use against an extremely tough Dodger team that no one was sure about with the playoffs (or postseason, or post-season) began.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2017, 12:08:40 pm »
Fair enough.  I do want you to know I appreciated your mea culpas (if that's what they were) in the game 7 thread regarding McCullers.

To be honest, it wasn't even you that I wrote that for originally as much as it was the other posters that felt the need to pile on and criticize his fortitude and determination after your original comment because your opinion is well respected here.

I'm just elated we won.  That McCullers got the save is just gravy because it shows we have another weapon to use against an extremely tough Dodger team that no one was sure about with the playoffs (or postseason, or post-season) began.

I make no apologies for what I said when I said it because I believed it completely. I think Hinch and maybe others had a come to Jesus talk with him and got through this petulance and caused him to realize he was pissing enormous talent away. I respect the hell out of what he did in Games 4 and 7. I also think Verlander can be enormous help to him and Morton on mental approach and focus.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:08:31 pm by JimR »

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 22, 2017, 01:37:54 pm »
The fuck have you been?
No shit. This place ain't nearly as good without NC.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2017, 05:53:31 pm »
I make no apologies for what I said when I said it because I believed it completely. I think Hinch and maybe others had a come to Jesus talk with him and got through this petulance and caused him to realize he was pissing enormous talent away. I respect the hell out of what he did in Games 4 and 7. I also think Verlander can be enormous help to him and Morton on mental approach and focus.
This.  LMJ could make a pretty nice #3 if this represents a turning of corners. 
Up in the Air

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2017, 09:41:26 pm »

Morton wasn’t shabby either
  -  Orson Welles

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2017, 09:45:33 pm »

How about a closer who throws nothing but curveballs. 

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2017, 10:08:32 pm »
How about a closer who throws nothing but curveballs.
Shit, I want to see him try it as a starter.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2017, 07:16:12 am »
WS rotation: Keuchel, Verlander, McCullers, Morton

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2017, 07:21:46 am »
Dodgers Rotation: Clayton Kershaw, Rich Hill, Yu Darvish, Alex Wood

Lot of big left-handers and Darvish.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2017, 08:35:28 am »
WS rotation: Keuchel, Verlander, McCullers, Morton

was this announced or your prediction?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2017, 09:30:04 am »
Dodgers Rotation: Clayton Kershaw, Rich Hill, Yu Darvish, Alex Wood

Lot of big left-handers and Darvish.

this is why I was rooting against the Dodgers. Astros with a losing record this season against southpaws.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 23, 2017, 09:47:32 am »
McCullers on McCann:
“Brian McCann is the untold, absolute hero of this team this year,” McCullers, 24, said, unprompted, of his catcher, echoing the sentiments of many of the Astros pitchers. “We’d be nowhere near this position without Brian McCann. He doesn’t get a lot of publicity, but this guy makes a difference in the locker room, and he makes people better. He deserves so much credit.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/when-astros-started-to-get-shaky-three-veteran-leaders-steadied-them/2017/10/22/1edac620-b74d-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.a7c6084d65b5

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2017, 10:08:01 am »
this is why I was rooting against the Dodgers. Astros with a losing record this season against southpaws.
They were able to get to sale and pomaranz. I don't know if they'll get to these guys or not but I have faith they will fight

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2017, 12:41:35 pm »
was this announced or your prediction?

My prediction. My scout friend predicts Morton, then McCullers. His comment was “You do not know what you’ll get with McCullers.”

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 23, 2017, 12:44:18 pm »
McCann on the Astros: “I am honored to be a part of this team.”

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 23, 2017, 02:21:45 pm »

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 23, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2017, 04:28:49 pm »
LMJ is on the Baseball Network now being interviewed. I did not know....the guy is hilarious.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2017, 04:32:47 pm »
LMJ is on the Baseball Network now being interviewed. I did not know....the guy is hilarious.

Lance is exactly what Intentional Talk is looking for in a guest. He was great.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2017, 05:11:24 pm »
Springer was pretty great before Boston game 1 too

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2017, 05:21:03 pm »

Here is a link for those who missed.  Great listen.  He is made for this shit, his high school hair, LOL.

https://twitter.com/IntentionalTalk/status/922948315615870976

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »
Here is a link for those who missed.  Great listen.  He is made for this shit, his high school hair, LOL.

https://twitter.com/IntentionalTalk/status/922948315615870976

“That was my second best save of the day”. Classic.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2017, 09:26:46 am »
Intentional Talk is a guilty pleasure.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2017, 03:42:33 pm »
Per Footer's Twitter:
Lance McCullers will start WS Game 3. Charlie Morton Game 4. #Astros

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2017, 03:58:59 pm »

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2017, 04:25:58 pm »
I finally got something right.

100% this was the way to go.  If there's a game 7 -- and I believe this series is going to 7 games -- I'd rather have McCullers on the mound than Morton for that game. 
Boom!

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2017, 05:43:37 pm »
Intentional Talk is a guilty pleasure.
My ladyfriend & I  accidentally (I had no idea it was him when we sat down) ended up sitting next to Millar at a bar out in Lakeway early this spring, the guy is hilarious and incredibly nice & laid back.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2017, 06:38:09 pm »
I finally got something right.
You're right about 96.3% of the time.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2017, 06:54:29 pm »
Seems a bit low

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 27, 2017, 11:26:38 am »

Show your math, please.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 27, 2017, 11:44:38 am »

60% of the time, he's right every time.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 28, 2017, 07:59:35 am »
Show your math, please.

I can count on you every time. 100%