Author Topic: Now that we have Verlander...  (Read 28865 times)

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Now that we have Verlander...
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:43:48 pm »
.......I'm assuming Peacock goes back to the bullpen and Fiers is the odd man out???

Keuchel
Verlander
McHugh
McCullers
Morton

All of this assumes McCullers comes back healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
Re: Now that we have Verlander...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:51:09 pm »
.......I'm assuming Peacock goes back to the bullpen and Fiers is the odd man out???

Keuchel
Verlander
McHugh
McCullers
Morton

I'm good with that.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 11:56:32 pm »
If the playoffs started now, Peacock is clearly the 3rd best starter.   Im way more comfortable with him on the mound than Morton/McHugh/Fiers and McCullers too until he proves he is healthy.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:58:58 pm »
If the playoffs started now, Peacock is clearly the 3rd best starter.   Im way more comfortable with him on the mound than Morton/McHugh/Fiers and McCullers too until he proves he is healthy.

McHugh has looked pretty good.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 12:07:09 am »
McHugh has looked pretty good.

True, it is close to a toss up b/w them.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 12:43:11 am »
With keuchel and verlander both having pitched Wednesday, I wonder which one starts Monday. I'd imagine keuchel would, with verlander going Tuesday. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 12:51:08 am »
Don't we have to make a roster move to make room for Verlander?? When we DFA'd Diaz that made room for Maybin. None of the three we traded for Verlander were on the 40-man roster so someone else has to be traded or DFA'd. Do we DFA Hoyt?? Do we trade say.....Fiers for a low level prospect.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:53:05 am by TerryPuhl21 »

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 12:57:29 am »
Don't we have to make a roster move to make room for Verlander?? When we DFA'd Diaz that made room for Maybin. None of the three we traded for Verlander were on the 40-man roster so someone else has to be traded or DFA'd. Do we DFA Hoyt?? Do we trade say.....Fiers for a low level prospect.

I'd think dfa someone or add someone to the 60-day DL

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 04:43:35 am »
I would not give up on Morton. He has no hit stuff every time out until his mysterious loss of command around the 5th or 6th.  I think he still is adjusting to his new bionic arm/velocity, and with no knowledge, only observation, I think he also may be dealing with confidence/trusting his stuff issues. I think Peacock is more valuable as a bridge to Harris and whoever else gets us to Giles. Watching Hinch reconstitute the staff and pen will be interesting and fun. Fiers has to be the odd man out despite his flashes of really good pitching this year, and I cannot believe they will DFA Hoyt.

Kuechel, Verlander, McHugh, McCullers (BIG IF!), Morton would be my rotation with Morton in the pen IF we make the post-season. A lot depends on McCullers, and damn you, Angelos. Britton should be on this team.

Sipp, Feliz, Hoyt, Martes, Musgrove--we'll see how they do in September. My guess is Liriano will be there because of experience and LHP. He has the stuff for sure.

ETA: "The Astros gave up more than I would have" stuff has started in some of the blogging. Fuck them. I understand Perez and Rogers are great prospects, and who knows about Cameron, but these same people vilified Luhnow at the deadline for being in love with his prospect. The message is: no matter what you do, the Internet experts will come down hard.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:29:27 am by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 07:32:06 am »
WTF, people  are complaining about us giving up too much?  I have been banging the, don't overpay drum pretty loudly, and I was ecstatic when I saw what we had to part with to land Justin Verlander.   Sure we gave up more than we did to get Randy Johnson, but the Astros now have Verlander for the next 2 seasons after this year!   Verlander to go with Altuve, Springer, Correa, Guriel, Reddick, Bregman, McCann, McCullers, McHugh, Peacock, Giles, Devo, Harris, and a host of younger guys on the cusp.  We also have Keuchel and Marwin through at least next season.

This trade was a no brainer.

The Spleen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 07:39:18 am »
ETA: "The Astros gave up more than I would have" stuff has started in some of the blogging. Fuck them. I understand Perez and Rogers are great prospects, and who knows about Cameron, but these same people vilified Luhnow at the deadline for being in love with his prospect. The message is: no matter what you do, the Internet experts will come down hard.

Getting Verlander and part of his salary for those three players is a great deal.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 07:41:00 am »
I would not give up on Morton. He has no hit stuff every time out until his mysterious loss of command around the 5th or 6th.  I think he still is adjusting to his new bionic arm/velocity, and with no knowledge, only observation, I think he also may be dealing with confidence/trusting his stuff issues. I think Peacock is more valuable as a bridge to Harris and whoever else gets us to Giles. Watching Hinch reconstitute the staff and pen will be interesting and fun. Fiers has to be the odd man out despite his flashes of really good pitching this year, and I cannot believe they will DFA Hoyt.

Kuechel, Verlander, McHugh, McCullers (BIG IF!), Morton would be my rotation with Morton in the pen IF we make the post-season. A lot depends on McCullers, and damn you, Angelos. Britton should be on this team.

Sipp, Feliz, Hoyt, Martes, Musgrove--we'll see how they do in September. My guess is Liriano will be there because of experience and LHP. He has the stuff for sure.

Re Britton:. Unless any of those three would have been dealt for him.  Verlander deal could have been different
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 07:43:44 am »
WTF, people  are complaining about us giving up too much?  I have been banging the, don't overpay drum pretty loudly, and I was ecstatic when I saw what we had to part with to land Justin Verlander.   Sure we gave up more than we did to get Randy Johnson, but the Astros now have Verlander for the next 2 seasons after this year!   

Agree. I would love to know if the final package is the same package that Luhnow (or someone with knowledge of the situation) said was fair and with which he was standing firm.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 07:47:46 am »

Last night, post-trade, the MLB guys were saying the Britton deal fell apart due to health concerns. I had not heard that before.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 07:58:39 am »
Last night, post-trade, the MLB guys were saying the Britton deal fell apart due to health concerns. I had not heard that before.

Sure you did. It was reported widely. Baltimore often uses medical as the reason to back out of deals.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 08:11:29 am »
WTF, people  are complaining about us giving up too much?  I have been banging the, don't overpay drum pretty loudly, and I was ecstatic when I saw what we had to part with to land Justin Verlander.   Sure we gave up more than we did to get Randy Johnson, but the Astros now have Verlander for the next 2 seasons after this year!   Verlander to go with Altuve, Springer, Correa, Guriel, Reddick, Bregman, McCann, McCullers, McHugh, Peacock, Giles, Devo, Harris, and a host of younger guys on the cusp.  We also have Keuchel and Marwin through at least next season.

This trade was a no brainer.

For what little it's worth, as Bus Driver #1 this is complete highway robbery if Verlander maintains his stuff.  Perez has top of the rotation stuff but that's never a guarantee of major league success.  Cameron has everyday center fielder ability but has to hit, and that's been up and down.  Rogers has MLB right now defensive capability.  His hitting has a ways to go.  One thing is for certain.  If Luhnow thought they were can't live without prospects he wouldn't have dealt them.  He clearly see Whitley and Tucker in that category.  He could have dealt either of them instead of Perez and then given up lesser prospects than Cameron and Rogers to complete the deal, but he didn't.  Question him all you want about anything else he does, but Luhnow has proven himself as a guru for prospect talent.  He was a huge part of keeping the aught's Cardinals talent laden and consistent post-season players.  The Astros are still flush with young talent despite the number of prospects he's dealt since mid-15 with the Gomez/Fiers deal.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 08:15:26 am »
Going by the BA rankings.   In 1999 we gave up #61 Freddy Garcia and #87 Carlos Guilen for Randy Johnson.   In 2017 we gave up #32 Franklin Perez, NR Daz Camerron, NR Jake Rodgers

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 08:20:10 am »
Anyone who thinks this deal was an overpay is nuts. How could anyone reasonably complain about this deal? Hell, the only people that could complain is Detroit. I personally don't think they got enough. If I was Detroit, I don't make this deal unless Whitley or Tucker is part of it.

Any deal we made that included us getting money AND keeping Tucker and Whitley was highway robbery.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:21:57 am by TerryPuhl21 »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 08:30:53 am »
For what little it's worth, as Bus Driver #1 this is complete highway robbery if Verlander maintains his stuff.  Perez has top of the rotation stuff but that's never a guarantee of major league success.  Cameron has everyday center fielder ability but has to hit, and that's been up and down.  Rogers has MLB right now defensive capability.  His hitting has a ways to go.  One thing is for certain.  If Luhnow thought they were can't live without prospects he wouldn't have dealt them.  He clearly see Whitley and Tucker in that category.  He could have dealt either of them instead of Perez and then given up lesser prospects than Cameron and Rogers to complete the deal, but he didn't.  Question him all you want about anything else he does, but Luhnow has proven himself as a guru for prospect talent.  He was a huge part of keeping the aught's Cardinals talent laden and consistent post-season players.  The Astros are still flush with young talent despite the number of prospects he's dealt since mid-15 with the Gomez/Fiers deal.

This is THE post and evaluation I was waiting for. Thank you.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 08:35:29 am »
This is THE post and evaluation I was waiting for. Thank you.

Same. Thanks, #1!
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 09:11:38 am »
We didn't give up Tucker, Whitley, Martes, Alvarez, Fisher and got an ace pitcher?  Holy Fuck this was a good deal.

In the grand scheme of it, the Astros won't miss these prospects at all. 

As for the starting rotation, I wonder if the Astros might consider using a Morton/Peacock tandem.  As a couple of the Astros writers have pointed out, both of these guys seem to have problems after going through the rotation more than two times. 

But in any event, I really don't want to see Fiers pitch anymore.  He was the best pitcher on the Astros for a while, but he has been so bad recently. 
Boom!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 09:49:14 am »
We didn't give up Tucker, Whitley, Martes, Alvarez, Fisher and got an ace pitcher?  Holy Fuck this was a good deal.

In the grand scheme of it, the Astros won't miss these prospects at all. 

As for the starting rotation, I wonder if the Astros might consider using a Morton/Peacock tandem.  As a couple of the Astros writers have pointed out, both of these guys seem to have problems after going through the rotation more than two times. 

But in any event, I really don't want to see Fiers pitch anymore.  He was the best pitcher on the Astros for a while, but he has been so bad recently.

I like your idea about a Morton/Peacock tandem for any possible post-season. Also, re: the traded prospects; one reporter pointed out that the Astros still have prospects of equal or better projection at the positions affected by the deal.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:54:56 am by juliogotay »

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 10:01:23 am »
Who is the better catcher?
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 10:34:48 am »
Also, re: the traded prospects; one reporter pointed out that the Astros still have prospects of equal or better projection at the positions affected by the deal.

The more you look at this trade, the better it gets.  Talk about dealing from a position of strength. 

I'm so excited I can barely focus on work.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 10:39:55 am »
Who is the better catcher?

that's a good question and one I asked myself. I suppose the writer was thinking Stubbs although I was higher on Rogers because he appears to be better defensively and that is paramount to me for catching. And Rogers may be a better hitter than first thought. But I keep thinking Stassi is a damn good catcher and the position was one of some strength.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 10:45:44 am »
that's a good question and one I asked myself. I suppose the writer was thinking Stubbs although I was higher on Rogers because he appears to be better defensively and that is paramount to me for catching. And Rogers may be a better hitter than first thought. But I keep thinking Stassi is a damn good catcher and the position was one of some strength.

Stubbs is actually considered a very good catcher.  His hitting has taken a step down this year but there's some who think he'll rebound.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Tonywatson

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 10:57:43 am »
No way was this an overpay. I'm surprised we got it for this price. These losses won't set us back in the least.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 11:08:06 am »
when I heard I was almost afraid to read the names on the list of those traded.
forever is composed entirely of nows

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 11:20:18 am »
 David Nuño‏Verified account @DavidNunoABC13

Verlander to start Tuesday in Seattle #Astros #ABC13

Jose Cruz III

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 11:27:48 am »
when I heard I was almost afraid to read the names on the list of those traded.
Same here. But when I did, not taking anything away from the prospects dealt, I was like wow he made a great deal.
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 11:48:04 am »
I hoped last night he would explain/apologize for vetoing the trade. I read he telephoned the Astros 15 min after the deadline to express his excitement to be with the team. Cannot wait to see him in an Astros uniform.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:53:15 am by JimR »

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 11:51:58 am »
I hoped last night he would explain/apologize for veto the trade.

It was reported that he held out till 11:59p for the Cubs to call. So I don't think he vetoed, he just waited until literally the last minute.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 11:53:47 am »
It was reported that he held out till 11:59p for the Cubs to call. So I don't think he vetoed, he just waited until literally the last minute.

Maybe so. A no was reported apparently.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 12:00:20 pm »
Maybe so. A no was reported apparently.

It went from yes, to he nixed it, to maybe the Astros got cold feet, and then it was done. All in a span of about 30 minutes. The most plausible explanation of the back and forth was that he just delayed it.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 12:45:25 pm »
I hoped last night he would explain/apologize for vetoing the trade. I read he telephoned the Astros 15 min after the deadline to express his excitement to be with the team. Cannot wait to see him in an Astros uniform.

When it comes to intensity and going about your business, Verlander has a lot in common with McCann.  Those two should mesh well.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 12:57:55 pm »
When it comes to intensity and going about your business, Verlander has a lot in common with McCann.  Those two should mesh well.

A little more "old school" can't hurt.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 01:03:23 pm »

Brady rodgers has been activated from the minor league DL, promoted to the majors and moved to the 60-day DL to clear a 40-man spot for verlander

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 01:08:11 pm »
Also idk if it's been said here and I missed it but the 2020 vesting option is voided. We have him through 2019

Andyzipp

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 01:11:29 pm »
A little more "old school" can't hurt.

Most important question...what was his Player's Weekend nickname?

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 01:27:03 pm »
Most important question...what was his Player's Weekend nickname?

Does "That guy with Kate" fit on the jersey?

I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 01:35:45 pm »

Keuchel
Verlander
McHugh
McCullers
Morton

McCullers is physically healthy.  In his last rehab outing his curveball wasn't there.  His mechanics are still in need of repair.
Goin' for a bus ride.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 01:36:49 pm »
Brady rodgers has been activated from the minor league DL, promoted to the majors and moved to the 60-day DL to clear a 40-man spot for verlander

Nice pay raise for him.

Andyzipp

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 01:41:12 pm »
So what does the pitching staff look like for the playoffs?

Verlander
Keuchel
McCullers (if healthy)
Morton or McHugh???

Giles
Devenski
Peacock
Harris
Gregerson
And 2-3 of Liriano, Clippard, Fiers, Morton/McHugh, and Musgrove

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »
McCullers is physically healthy.  In his last rehab outing his curveball wasn't there.  His mechanics are still in need of repair.

Anyone counting on McCullers the rest of this season is setting themselves up for disappointment.  The rotation is:

Keuchel
McHugh
Verlander
Peacock
Morton
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Andyzipp

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 01:48:54 pm »
Anyone counting on McCullers the rest of this season is setting themselves up for disappointment.  The rotation is:

Keuchel
McHugh
Verlander
Peacock
Morton

Not disagreeing with your assessment on McCullers.  Who do you kick to the bullpen once October rolls around?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 01:57:10 pm »
Not disagreeing with your assessment on McCullers.  Who do you kick to the bullpen once October rolls around?

I kick Peacock there.  I think he's a more valuable arm overall than Morton.  Hopefully they wouldn't need either of them to start, should the Astros make the postseason. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2017, 02:04:57 pm »

Keuchel
McHugh
Verlander
Peacock
Morton

I agree. That's why I'm setting myself up for a surprise!
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 02:26:16 pm »
There's two doubleheaders in the next 8 days, so I presume through then it will be Morton-Peacock-Fiers-Keuchel-Verlander-McCullers-McHugh-Morton-Fiers-Keuchel-Verlander-Mcullers-McHugh-Morton-Keuchel-Verlander-McCullers-McHugh
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 03:06:31 pm »
I thought about this as well. That just looks like instant chemistry between those two.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2017, 05:04:43 pm »
So what does the pitching staff look like for the playoffs?

Verlander
Keuchel
McCullers (if healthy)
Morton or McHugh???

Giles
Devenski
Peacock
Harris
Gregerson
And 2-3 of Liriano, Clippard, Fiers, Morton/McHugh, and Musgrove

McHugh will get a start. He has been good.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2017, 05:08:03 pm »
McHugh will get a start. He has been good.

I just don't think McCullers is going to be able to help. I expect Keuchel, Verlander, and McHugh to be the top 3, and Morton to be the #4.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2017, 05:24:04 pm »
I just don't think McCullers is going to be able to help. I expect Keuchel, Verlander, and McHugh to be the top 3, and Morton to be the #4.

I'd still give him a chance.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 05:32:20 pm »
I'd still give him a chance.

Oh, he'll get his chances through September. Perhaps he'll surprise me.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »
Oh, he'll get his chances through September. Perhaps he'll surprise me.

It is there. He and Strom need to find it. He was deservedly an All Star.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2017, 05:57:34 pm »
It is there. He and Strom need to find it. He was deservedly an All Star.

Might be another place where Verlander can help: getting Lance to channel those emotions in a positive way.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2017, 06:08:03 pm »
Might be another place where Verlander can help: getting Lance to channel those emotions in a positive way.

He does for the pitchers what Beltran does for the hitters. Kuechel is not a bell cow.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2017, 11:21:41 am »
I think that the Verlander trade was a fair deal - both teams got good value in needed areas.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2017, 11:32:31 am »
I think that the Verlander trade was a fair deal - both teams got good value in needed areas.

I think that you're right. The Tigers' farm system is bereft of prospects. If they got three, that means that they have three prospects. I've seen the shit that comes through Toledo for four years now. They have almost no big league ready talent.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 03:40:56 pm »
Fiers is officially out of the rotation.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2017, 03:46:22 pm »
Fiers is officially out of the rotation.

What about the DH in Oakland?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2017, 04:13:25 pm »
What about the DH in Oakland?

Just reporting what was in a McTag tweet.  No other details yet.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Tonywatson

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2017, 08:31:14 pm »
McCullers is coming back so Peacock starts a game in DH, then likely to bullpen.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2017, 09:23:38 pm »
McCullers is coming back so Peacock starts a game in DH, then likely to bullpen.

Yep. I forgot Peacock.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2017, 09:24:30 pm »
Just reporting what was in a McTag tweet.  No other details yet.

Yeah, I read it on At Bat and forgot Peacock.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2017, 09:18:57 am »

They can put Peacock in the pen now.  The Thursday off-day helps.

MONDAY:  Keuchel
TUESDAY:  Verlander
WEDNESDAY:  McCullers
THURSDAY:  OFF
FRIDAY:  McHugh
SATURDAY:  Morton/Keuchel

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2017, 09:54:01 am »
I think they said Kuechel's next start is Sunday, but I may be wrong.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2017, 10:04:31 am »

With all the uncertainty around McCullers, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Peacock stays in the rotation for at least another start.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2017, 10:29:18 am »
They can put Peacock in the pen now.  The Thursday off-day helps.

MONDAY:  Keuchel
TUESDAY:  Verlander
WEDNESDAY:  McCullers
THURSDAY:  OFF
FRIDAY:  McHugh
SATURDAY:  Morton/Keuchel
Saturday's starters are Morton/Peacock

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2017, 10:32:42 am »
With all the uncertainty around McCullers, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Peacock stays in the rotation for at least another start.

Anyone penciling in McCullers hasn't been paying attention.  The guy has been bad for quite awhile now, including his "rehab" starts.   I have very little faith that McCullers returns to his really good form this season.   Hope Im wrong.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2017, 11:16:40 am »
Anyone penciling in McCullers hasn't been paying attention.  The guy has been bad for quite awhile now, including his "rehab" starts.   I have very little faith that McCullers returns to his really good form this season.   Hope Im wrong.

If he'll be a decent #3 or #4, works for me.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2017, 11:22:54 am »

Agree.  Morton has show enough flashes of excellence that I am happy to have McCullers spend the next 4 weeks getting in his reps and getting back on track.  Kind of like an extended spring training leading up to the playoffs.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2017, 11:44:48 am »

At this point I would take that in a heartbeat.  From things I have heard, his injury is mental not physical.   

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2017, 11:57:23 am »
Agree.  Morton has show enough flashes of excellence that I am happy to have McCullers spend the next 4 weeks getting in his reps and getting back on track.  Kind of like an extended spring training leading up to the playoffs.

Morton and McHugh both.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2017, 03:51:41 pm »
Morton and McHugh both.

You bring up a good point re: McHugh.  I've been very impressed with him since he's come back.  He seems way sharper than I would have expected with all of his time off this year.  His curve seems as sharp as ever but his FB command looks much more like '14 & '15 than it did last year.  It seems to really be setting up the deuce well.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2017, 04:27:10 pm »
You bring up a good point re: McHugh.  I've been very impressed with him since he's come back.  He seems way sharper than I would have expected with all of his time off this year.  His curve seems as sharp as ever but his FB command looks much more like '14 & '15 than it did last year.  It seems to really be setting up the deuce well.

McHugh has exceeded my expectations based on his performance last year when he was a roller-coaster ride. If there is a post-season for him he will be fresh. I'd be more comfortable with him if he is the 4th guy though.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2017, 07:36:53 pm »

and his new slider

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2017, 09:38:57 am »
Jordan Jankowski is on of this season's unsung heroes for teaching his slider to Peacock who in turn taught it to McHugh. 
Always ready to go to a game.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2017, 08:05:10 am »
Jordan Jankowski is on of this season's unsung heroes for teaching his slider to Peacock who in turn taught it to McHugh.
And now is teaching elsewhere. (Angels, I think?)
Up in the Air