Author Topic: Your 2017 Astros Starting Lineups  (Read 2206 times)

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
Your 2017 Astros Starting Lineups
« on: December 03, 2016, 07:41:52 pm »
It's early December, but fuck it, why not? This is fun to think about, in that wait-til-next-year, sunshine-n-rainbows kinda way.

Here's my stab at it:

vs. RHP
Springer CF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Beltran DH
Correa SS
Reddick RF
Gurriel 1B
McCann C
Aoki LF

vs. LHP
Springer RF
Bregman 3B
Altuve 2B
Beltran DH
Correa SS
Gattis C
Gurriel 1B or LF
Marwin G. LF or 1B
Marisnick CF

Putting the vet Beltran in the cleanup spot takes some of the pressure off Correa, and it breaks up all the RH hitters at the top. Aoki could lead off, sure, but Springer does great there and you've got plenty of HR power elsewhere, so you don't miss his pop in the middle of the order. Aoki at #9 makes a great table-setter for the top of the lineup later in the game.

I'm sure Marwin won't be strictly a platoon guy (nor will Gattis), but I figure he'll play more consistently against lefties.

All in all, that's a great-looking regular lineup when you've got McCann batting 8th and Gurriel (who I expect big things from) batting 7th. They should hit lots of dingers and score lots of runs, unless someone pulls a Gomez.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

MrKnuckleball

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: Your 2017 Astros Starting Lineups
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 09:12:01 pm »
Every time I scan the roster I get more and more anxious about the season starting. It's going to be a fun one!

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:36:22 am »
Every time I scan the roster I get more and more anxious about the season starting. It's going to be a fun one!

I share your sentiment. It's going to be difficult for Hinch to manage the ABs, which is a great problem to have.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:22:37 am »
Assuming he's still with the org, what if Reed shows up to ST in better shape and just tears the cover off the ball?  Does he still start in AAA?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 09:56:27 am »
Assuming he's still with the org, what if Reed shows up to ST in better shape and just tears the cover off the ball?  Does he still start in AAA?

How would he not? With the current roster, who would he take 1B/DH at-bats from?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 05:31:51 pm »

I asked Mark this very question last night.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 06:16:50 pm »
The fact that Beltran, on a one-year deal, was their top choice says to me that maybe they still think Reed can prove himself worthy of the starting 1B or DH gig eventually. I suspect he'll start the year in AAA no matter how his Spring Training goes, though.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 06:50:45 pm »
The fact that Beltran, on a one-year deal, was their top choice

Do you know that Beltran was their top choice?  Maybe Encarnacion was their top choice but they didn't think they could get it done and they didn't want to lose their second choice.

That being said, I can't see the Astros giving up on Reed.  He was too good in the minors. 
Boom!

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 07:44:05 pm »
Do you know that Beltran was their top choice?  Maybe Encarnacion was their top choice but they didn't think they could get it done and they didn't want to lose their second choice.

That being said, I can't see the Astros giving up on Reed.  He was too good in the minors.

Rosenthal chimed in with some thoughts on why they chose Beltran over EE:  The money/length, but also the switch-hitting, being able to keep Yuri at 1B, and the clubhouse presence (not that EE is a negative presence).  He does add in a separate tweet, that they could get back in on EE if the price drops. 

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/winter-meetings-mlb-rumors-cba-ken-rosenthal-chicago-cubs-houston-astros-oakland-athletics-120416

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 08:40:28 pm »

For what it's worth, during all the EE smoke, McTaggart continued to indicate that Beltran was the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 09:53:56 pm »

Reported more than once Beltran was the focus.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.