Author Topic: Roger Angell on "Most Important" Vote of His Lifetime  (Read 163346 times)

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Angell on "Most Important" Vote of His Lifetime
« Reply #5100 on: October 09, 2019, 04:56:00 pm »
Correct on all accounts.

Rep. Mark Green, with NPR's Here & Now, talking about Trump and Syria:

"Yeah, I disagree with what he’s doing now, I wish it wasn’t happening, but I still fully support it."
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: October 09, 2019, 05:04:32 pm »
8 Kurdish civilian deaths recorded this far.  Of course, while civilian deaths are tragic, so will be all the deaths of Kurdish fighters who have been abandoned to be slaughtered by vastly superior forces. 

The news should be nothing but this until it’s resolved.  Even Jesus knew that we had to look out for the Christians in Syria (yes, for you Trumpist lurkers - the Kurds are Christians).

I don't think most people who pulled the lever for Two Corinthians give a shit about that one way or the other.

It's time for everybody in red states to start leaning on their senators and representatives. I'm contacting mine today.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: October 09, 2019, 05:42:05 pm »
Fox News poll:

Do not impeach:  40%
Impeach but do not remove: 4%
Impeach and remove:  51%

Fox Fucking News!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: October 09, 2019, 05:44:55 pm »
Fox News poll:

Do not impeach:  40%
Impeach but do not remove: 4%
Impeach and remove:  51%

Fox Fucking News!

FAKE NEWS!
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: October 09, 2019, 06:31:19 pm »
Rep. Mark Green, with NPR's Here & Now, talking about Trump and Syria:

"Yeah, I disagree with what he’s doing now, I wish it wasn’t happening, but I still fully support it."

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Republican Party.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: October 09, 2019, 08:58:24 pm »
We have a long and sorry history of totally fucking the Kurds over.  Why they ever believe us, I have no idea.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: October 10, 2019, 11:10:53 am »
We have a long and sorry history of totally fucking the Kurds over.  Why they ever believe us, I have no idea.

Because Trump’s sacrifice of the Kurds came out of the blue, it appears that we had been giving Turkey up-to-the-minute tracking data on all forces in the region...including the Kurds.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: October 10, 2019, 11:20:23 am »
Trump’s scandals and crimes are all just blowing up today.

Two of Giuliani’s henchmen in his Ukraine gambit were arrested last night trying to leave the country.  They were due to testify to Congress today; they are facing charges for violating campaign contribution laws (naturally).

Control of military aid to Ukraine was taken away from career bureaucrats - who raised concerns that withholding it for political purposes is illegal - and given to a political operative - also illegal. 

43 more women have accused Trump of sexual assault, including one who claims that he actually grabbed her by the pussy and pushed her into a room. 

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: October 10, 2019, 11:23:33 am »
I just don’t trust anything Barr does, or allows. So, either he’s setting up Rudy to take a fall for Trump (which won’t work) or he just allows these guys to be arrested because it’s better than having them testify.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: October 10, 2019, 11:49:57 am »
I just don’t trust anything Barr does, or allows. So, either he’s setting up Rudy to take a fall for Trump (which won’t work) or he just allows these guys to be arrested because it’s better than having them testify.

It was the SDNY that had them pinched, apparently before any charges had been filed.  Barr may not have been aware of it, therefore.  Looks like the SDNY got an alert they were leaving the country and just decided to go get them. 

Barr is working for Trump 100%. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: October 10, 2019, 12:17:29 pm »
Giuliani’s goons are being represented by the same lawyers who defended Paul Manafort.  👀

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: October 10, 2019, 12:46:08 pm »
The indictment of the above goons includes a very short alignment of dots whereby Foreign National-1 (a Russian) , funneled money to the goons who then donated it to various GOP campaigns.  This is what happens when a smoking gun becomes a mushroom cloud. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: October 10, 2019, 12:49:05 pm »

Who tipped off the goons that set them running?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: October 10, 2019, 01:24:25 pm »
Who tipped off the goons that set them running?

Giuliani was spotted having lunch with them YESTERDAY.  Who tipped off Giuliani?

It’s now being reported that the DOJ has been aware of the SDNY’s investigation into these two for months.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: October 11, 2019, 04:03:31 pm »
Developments today, of which there are many and of import:

- The Turks have bombed US special forces, presumably in error

- The former Amb to Ukraine defied the State dept or complied with a congressional subpoena - depending on what channel you watch - and testified to Congress today.  She confirmed that she’d been recalled because of pressure from the White House on the State dept, and that the State dept is a mess of pissed off people

- A Federal appellate panel voted 2-1 that Trump cannot block a subpoena for his financial records from Mazars.  The dissent was from a Trump-appointed judge who’s opinion was so thin and poorly argued that it was ridiculed in the affirming decision.

- A Federal court slapped down Trump’s declaration of an emergency to fund wall construction.

- a Federal court slapped down Trump’s attempt to suspend the “public charge” rule that protects green card holders receiving government assistance.

- Rudy’s goons have a significant presence on social media, and it’s pretty hard to find a post, photo or video that doesn’t have Rudy or a Trump or three in it. 

- The Dow bounced based on Trump claiming he got a trade deal agreed with China.  Because that has been true every other time he’s said that?

- Lindsey Graham got pranked into thinking he was talking to Turkish diplomats on the phone (it was a couple of Russian comedians) and he reversed entirely his public, anti-Syria withdrawal stance and was all in with Trump.  He’s got some splainin to do because he clearly wasn’t joking. 

- Shep Smith has quit Fox News. 

Quite a day. None of it good for Trump and his shrinking band of loyalists.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5115 on: October 14, 2019, 08:43:40 pm »
The whole situation in Syria is unraveling fast:

- Turkish forces are committing war crimes
- The Kurds have been forced into an alliance with Bashad’s, Russian-backed Syrian government
- No one is now fighting ISIS, who are escaping from their Kurdish captors
- US forces are cut off and in need of evac, most likely by airlift
- We are trying to figure out what to do about the 50 nukes we have stationed in Turkey

What a shitshow.  Aside from the death and destruction - which is horrifying - the big/only winners here are Putin, Bashad (i.e. Putin) and Erdogan.

This is completely indefensible, yet Republicans continue to offer bizarre third person criticisms as if it’s some kind of abstract issue and not the deaths (in one case reportedly by rape and stoning) of men, women and children who are our long time allies. 

My disgust for Trump and his enablers - be they in Washington, on TV, the 40% who still support Trump or those complete cunts who made the “Kingsman” parody - is overwhelming right now. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: October 15, 2019, 06:06:52 am »
Fiona Hill is my favorite person this week.  Her lawyers told the White House to take its privilege claim and shove it, citing the law, testified for 10 hours and, reportedly, told the committee:

- She blew the whistle on Giuliani to the NSC
- She did so at the urging of John Bolton
- She quoted Bolton as calling Giuliani a “hand grenade who’s going to blow everybody up” and that he’s “not part of whatever drug deal Rudy and Mulvaney are cooking up.”

So what this means is:

- Welcome to the party Mick Mulvaney
- Bolton is going to be a star witness who’ll be hard to smear as a deep state democrat
- This is accelerating - Neil Cavuto denounced Trump last night on Fox News

I remember a quote from an unnamed CIA office when Trump was elected, saying “he will die in jail.”  He definitely deserves to, but now it is starting to seem that he just might.  Republicans need to turn on him hard and fast to (try to) save their own political skins; Ukraine and the Kurds give them the excuse.  Once Congressional Republicans stop running interference, Trump is fucked.  And he’ll make sure to take everyone he can down with him. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:20:03 am by Limey »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: October 15, 2019, 06:10:43 am »
Lots of witnesses scheduled to testify this week, including Sondland who is expected to sing to save his own skin/business (his wife is quoted as being worried about a backlash against their hotel chain).  It’s going to get crazier and crazier, methinks. 

The Sondlans’s own the Provenance hotel chain, fyi.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:23:29 am by Limey »

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: October 15, 2019, 07:43:25 am »
Hey das, saw this last night re: the NWS and NOAA and was wondering if you had any thoughts:

https://youtu.be/qMGn9T37eR8
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: October 15, 2019, 08:31:11 am »
The whole situation in Syria is unraveling fast:

- Turkish forces are committing war crimes
- The Kurds have been forced into an alliance with Bashad’s, Russian-backed Syrian government
- No one is now fighting ISIS, who are escaping from their Kurdish captors
- US forces are cut off and in need of evac, most likely by airlift
- We are trying to figure out what to do about the 50 nukes we have stationed in Turkey

What a shitshow.  Aside from the death and destruction - which is horrifying - the big/only winners here are Putin, Bashad (i.e. Putin) and Erdogan.

This is completely indefensible, yet Republicans continue to offer bizarre third person criticisms as if it’s some kind of abstract issue and not the deaths (in one case reportedly by rape and stoning) of men, women and children who are our long time allies. 

My disgust for Trump and his enablers - be they in Washington, on TV, the 40% who still support Trump or those complete cunts who made the “Kingsman” parody - is overwhelming right now.

And as expected Russian forces have swooped in to fill the vacuum in northern Syria.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."